Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hop Explosion - Fegley's Bethlehem Brew Works

Hop ExplosionHop Explosion

Fegley's Bethlehem Brew Works visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: goindownsouth on 03-22-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Consumed vom Fass on 10.13.06 at Bethlehem Brew Works.

Filtered well and amber in colour, this IPA presented with little, if any head whatsoever. The little head that did present, left whisps of lacing along the sides of the class. Aromas of grapefruit and hop spice were evident. A sweet malt flavor followed with a good bit of hop bitterness. According to those in the know, this one was brewed with pale and crystal malts, and hopped with Tomahawks from Yakima Valley, WA.

I must admit, I have been down on BBW over the last 6-9 months. But this IPA has made me change my tune a touch. I would go back and make a night out of this one, for sure.

Zum wohl!

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

This beer was served in a pint glass, had very little head but left nice lacing, and it was clear but dark bronze. The nose wasn't overpowering, but clearly some hops were comin'

Taste *was* overpoweringly hoppy It was piney and resinous, with some citrus overtones, mostly just very strong. Malts were not much in evidence, I would have preferred a bit more for balance. Did I mention that this was really strong hoppy ale?

Mouthfeel was medium-bodied, astringent, bitter but not everlastingingly.

Drinkability was diminished by the one-dimensionality of flavor. I ordered another with my dinner, and it improved my opinion of the beer. I guess I like my hops with more balance or nuance, not just the bomb

3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

First thing's first....This beer is not hoppy! I don't know what they are talking about in the description, but this stuff is not an IPA, it's a lighly hopped pale. Granted the orangey hue is nice, as is the nice white head of foam. The aromas smell of subtle, candied hops, and the malt profile is huge! The taste is malty with some hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is very light and watery but the drinkability is high!

3.7/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Like my review of BBW’s Berliner weisse, this can’t contain any comments of the nose since it was overpowered by the brewer’s decision to brew during this visit.

The beer had a pleasant copper body with a thin lacy head. It didn’t look too malty since what little foam was left on top didn’t make much effort to cling to the glass. My inference proved to be correct after the first sip. I wouldn’t consider the beer thin, but it was less that I would expect for an IPA. While the hops were there, it seemed more like an aggressively hopped pale ale than an IPA, as is the case with 3F Alpha King. The hops were bracing but not over done, and the bitterness build in the back of my throat as my glass became lighter. A slight candy sweetness from the malt combined well with the citrus from the hops. Everything was in very good balance, but in less quantity than I was hoping for. Nonetheless, it was a good beer, but not as good as the case Alpha King that sat in my back seat from my trip to Shangy’s.

3.4/5  rDev -4%

This brew is a golden copper color sitting under a small white covering of foam. It has a nice spicy hop aroma.

The body is medium to light, just a tad thin for my liking. I will say, however, that as it warms, it picks up a whole lot of flavor (much more than I had anticipated). It is nicely hopped, but just not quite enough to live up to its name. It is still a pretty good brew.

3.45/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured out a bright and clear golden yellow color and was topped with a small but rich white head of foam. There is a big citrus hop aroma, more noticable than the malt or grains. An intense and sharp astringent flavor overwhelms this beer, not the kind of bitterness that I’m looking for in an IPA, but not that bad. The smell and the look of this beer is better than it's taste.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last