Coastal Common - Heater Allen Brewing

Heater Allen Brewing visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

1.012 BG, 5.0%, 36 IBU, 9.0 SRM

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 01-01-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by SurlyDuff:
SurlyDuff

4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

So I believe this brews style is technically 'california common' (aka steam beer), not an amber/red lager... They also named it 'coastal common' to be more Oregonian. Slick wine bottle looking label, clean and minimal, classy looking bottle.

Pours with a slight haze and a thin head. Copper brown and quite inviting.

This one has a great hop-forward profile, from the aroma through to the aftertaste. A bit of chewy and bready in the middle and aftertaste, but nice sharp hops in the first sip and finish. It's a buffet in my mouth! A very drinkable and should offer year-round enjoyment. Boy do I love a good lager, a style that Oregon is lacking.

I'm glad this one came in a 22, definitely didn't get tired of it by the end of the first pint!

12-25-2009 01:43:20 | More by SurlyDuff
NWer

4.78/5  rDev +27.5%

Picked up on recommendation of very nice clerk at Belmont Station in Portland a few months ago and finally got around to trying it.
I mentioned that I don't particularly care for bottom fermented beers but she said I just might change my mind with this one.
An understatement.
Exceptional pour into 21st Amendment chalice. Nice golden head, hazy bronze color.
Full flavored lager and very pleasing to the palate. Slightly sweet taste followed with just the right hop balance in the aftertaste.
This is the best lager I have had and it clearly deserves high marks in my opinion.
I can't say enough about this beer. Try it if you get the chance and decide for yourself.

09-06-2011 19:44:51 | More by NWer
seanthornton152

11-17-2011 07:01:34 | More by seanthornton152
KDawg

3.78/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from bottle into a pilsner glass. Pours a nice amber/gold color with a small head.

Nice and balanced aromas of citrus, grains, and some noble hops.

Very good medium feel that is very smooth. Nice and balanced with a nice bit of citrus and grains.

A really nice common. Balanced with good citrus notes on both the aromas and taste.

01-20-2013 20:54:31 | More by KDawg
isualum12

Idaho

2.68/5  rDev -28.5%

tan in color with a golden body. med head which didn't hold to strong but it was alright...

Carmel in flavor with the overpowering carbination. I simply can't get past it. it is actually burning the top of my mouth right now. I can taste a couple different spices in there and everytime I think i have the roof of my mouth starts to burn....

Can't say I would go out of my way to fill another glass with this...

01-31-2010 06:02:14 | More by isualum12
dukew456

4.2/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a generic 12 oz glass.

Pours a semi-clear, light amber with a fairly small head that quickly shrinks to a small cap, leaving no lacing.

Smell is grainy and bready, with a sort of fruity undertone to it. A slight hop pungency gets through as well, lending a little bit of a floral characteristic to the lightly toasted bread scent.

Taste follows pretty lock-step with the smell, but with a slightly more pronounced hop twang. The malt sweetness comes through strong, with a bready characteristic coating the tongue. The light carbonation allows this beer to sort of soak on the tongue, leaving a toasted bread/bitter pine aftertaste, which I enjoy very much.

Yet another Heater Allen that is fairly easy to enjoy and drink, though a bit more muddled than the other HA beers I've had.

05-19-2009 01:32:43 | More by dukew456
cestlavie

04-30-2014 02:30:58 | More by cestlavie
Reidrover

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

22 oz from Roth's Sunnyside Market S.Salem. $4.79
Light amber, slightly hazy body with a really nice thicK eggshell white head.
Good hearty malt aromas,a little grassy hop.
Taste is mainlly light caramel malts followed by a great grassy,zesty hop kin the end.
I really liked how this one went down..very good balance/change over from malt to hops.
Overall the bect Steam i have had..went down an absolute treat.

04-02-2011 02:58:14 | More by Reidrover
vkv822

3.78/5  rDev +0.8%

22oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a golden orange with a foamy off white head and decent lacing.

A pleasant aroma of grassy hops and a bready, biscuit malt backing.

A strong malty backbone accented by light grassy hops.

A medium body with a medium level of carbonation.

Fairly simple and straight-forward but still quite enjoyable and easy drinking. Another solid lager from Heater Allen.

03-17-2012 07:40:28 | More by vkv822
Kurmaraja

02-03-2014 05:54:57 | More by Kurmaraja
katelovesbeer

2.88/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from a 22oz into a pint glass

Appearance: Amber, darker than expected. Thin head.

Smell: Very surprisingly bitter and hoppy - relatively speaking, for a lager. (its no IPA, but I can't say I've stuck my nose in a lager and discovered so much bitters). Has a lingering sweet flatness that must be the malts

Taste: Fascinating. Quite dry, flat, and a "the back of my tongue is drying out" bitterness factor. And yet, the malts are totally there. Biscuity, a tad sweet.

Mouthfeel: Tingling acidic dryness on the back of the tongue as mentioned above but still manages to leave a thin coat of silkiness. This beer is weird.

Drinkability: Well.. this beer is confusing. I typically like complex, genre-busting beers but I don't quite know what to do with this one. Can't say I'd grab another.

07-18-2010 02:06:30 | More by katelovesbeer
coastiefish

2.53/5  rDev -32.5%

___NOTE: I will be editing this review. Clearly, the bottle I had was not quality product. I since have had another, and it was, well, GOOD BEER.

Poured from 22.

A-fugly cloudy copper brown

S-malts and grain

T-coppery metallic, grainy. Finishes quick

M-very thin, slick. not very desirable.

D-I dont care for this. Its a wall flower at best. aint no junk in the trunk.

Im not quite sure about these other reviews, as I am not finding anything good to pull from this brew. No complexity, nothing..
I am currently going through the available Heater Allen brews, and I do have high hopes as I really, thoroughly enjoyed the Bavarian Wheat. Though this beer falls very very short of- not my expectations, but the style.

07-18-2010 02:04:10 | More by coastiefish
oregonskibum

3.73/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Color is a dark, burnt orange. Pours with a one-inch cream head that slowly dissipated, leaving some lacing on the side and a thin film on top.

S: Lots of bready malt flavors with a little caramel mixed in. Picking up some faint hoppy bitterness, but not much.

T: More of the same. Strong bread malt flavors and caramel (although not sweet). Seems a little earthy. Hop bitterness shows up a little on the end, but the finish generally dies off pretty quickly.

M: Medium to medium-low body with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink, doesn't come across as heavy at all.

D: I've had Coastal Common many times in the past two years and this one didn't seem up to par. Slightly more malty than I remember it with less hop flavors. I remember this early on as a sessionable beer with a nice hop flavor, but limited bitterness. It doesn't quite live up to my original assesssment, unfortunately. Still a good beer, just not as good as I remember it.

06-16-2010 19:48:36 | More by oregonskibum
nmann08

District of Columbia

01-17-2013 00:53:06 | More by nmann08
DefenCorps

4.48/5  rDev +19.5%

Bottle from Belmont station. This has been a long time coming. Review #1800

Pouring a clear copper amber with a thick, persistent, off-white head that leaves gorgeous lacing, this beer looks perfect. The nose is similarly excellent. Exceptionally balanced with a soft, delicate Vienna malt aroma, bready, slightly toasty, and some caramel and burnt sugar notes. The hop character is similarly excellent. A blend of earthy, lemony, zesty and minty German hops with the more pungent Cascade grapefruit notes, and its associated chalkiness, this smells great. A mild yeast character, mildly fruity, is also apparent. Excellent.

The palate opens moderately bitter, with a blend of grapefruit zest, mint and grassy/earthy German hops, and with some really nice malt character. Delicately layered, with dough, bread, toast, caramel and burnt sugar, the balance is exceptional. The steam beer approach used with this beer does lend a mild fruitiness and a mild heft to the palate. Drying on the finish with a lingering fresh, snappy, mildly oily hop bitterness and a doughy and caramel-like flavor, this beer is a treat on the palate. Medium light in body with an extraordinary soft but firm carbonation, this beer is crisp and clean, managing to be both, refreshing and satisfying.

At the risk of sounding elitist, this is a wonderful treat for fans of nuanced beers. This is probably my favorite Vienna lager yet, and sure makes up for my missing another German beer fest at Maxs.

09-22-2012 04:52:16 | More by DefenCorps
sanford_and_son

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

05-19-2014 23:18:21 | More by sanford_and_son
mactrail

2.69/5  rDev -28.3%

The appearance is attractive enough, with the coppery, orange amber color. Head is on the short side and evaporates before long. Plenty of spritz on the tongue. Aroma

This is so bitter, especially for the lack of aromatic hop flavors. Flavors revolve around murk, muck, and some kind of burnt herbs. I keep thinking of wood, but maybe it's more furniture polish. Aftertaste gets more and more medicinal and I just want it to go away.

This beer leaves me confused. I mean, what is is? I just don't get what they were trying to do. It seems well made for the other attributes but the harsh mouth-scraping bitter gunkiness makes this just undrinkable. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Bine & Vine in San Diego.

03-14-2014 06:00:57 | More by mactrail
TaborTime

12-15-2013 01:25:03 | More by TaborTime
PaulStoneAnchor

3.75/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: It pours with a light spacing of foam, but pretty much no head. It has a golden amber color as well.

Smell: It has some light malt aromas and some bready malts. Not too much aroma.

Taste: It has a great woody, earthy hoppiness, with a slighty malt backbone, with some nice lager yeast notes.

Mouthfeel: It has a great mouthfeel, it has a great medium carbonation and nice creaminess.

O: Overall, this beer is a pretty good interpretation of a Steam beer, except with a lot more hops. I really enjoyed how it was a bit more rich and hoppy than malty like a regular Steam beer. I definitely enjoyed the yeast notes and woody, earthy hoppiness. Definitely would buy again, and also it was a great buy at $4.50!!

09-22-2011 06:42:51 | More by PaulStoneAnchor
loren01

3.45/5  rDev -8%

A: Pours a cloudy amber color, frothy white head with good lacing
S: Sweet and bready. Also some fruit in there as well as herbal/grassy hop scent
T: Bready malth up front followed by sharp herbal hop bitterness.
M: Medium bodied beer, finishes dry
O: Good drinkable full flavored lager, would buy this again.

03-01-2012 03:38:35 | More by loren01
msubulldog25

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Another from the Heater-Allen collection delivered by Rick Allen in November. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a pint glass.

From Heater-Allen's site: "This is a Northwest interpretation of an amber lager. It resembles a “Steam Beer” style beer in that it is fermented slightly warmer, and the color looks like a Vienna style lager, but the amount and type of hops is quite different. We use Cascade hops in this beer, and they blend well with the German and British amber malts we use. The beer features strong hops character, a few ‘yeasty’ notes in the aroma, and malt, caramel, and toffee flavors, with a refreshing bite in the finish. (1.013 BG, 4.9%, 39 IBU, 10 SRM)"

Had it not been for this description, I'd have blindly placed this in the 'California Common/Steam Beer' category.

A: Pours a toasty warm amber, paler and thinner at the edges and deeper and more ruddy at its core. It showcases a lightly frothy and bubbly head, nearing a finger high, which sags in a couple minutes to a creamier ring and thin veil of film. Less filtration leaves a silty haze, with just a small amount of rising carbonation. Modest lace sticks in wide, jagged bands.

S: A toasted & bread crust-like caramel malt character with a fair jolt of NW hops, giving a mildly sweet citrus and grassy aroma, mixed with a vague, more candied 'anonymous' fruitiness. Hard to discern - messy?

T: Sweeter toffee and chewy bread flavors yield to a sizable burst of spicy and herbal hops, taste after taste. The added hop bittering stays on the tongue and has a balancing effect for subsequent sips, as the initial malty grain sweetness washes across the lingering hop oils and mixes intriguingly.

M: Medium mouthfeel and body, with a lip-smacking stickiness and an assertively sharp hop bittering holding onto the center and back of tongue. Glides down smoothly at first, then a spiciness grabs on almost in the throat and hop bittering causes the cheeks to draw in slightly, even some extra salivation. In that regard it's a pretty unique mouthfeel, definitely worthy of a 'good' score at the very least...but I'll do it a half-point better...

D: Of the five Heater-Allen beers I've tried so far, this may have been my least favorite, oddly enough. That's not to say it's a bad beer, however - I just found the more bold use of hops a bit out of whack with their subtler lagers. Worth trying for certain; I have a couple more, so perhaps this will grow on me. A food pairing next time, perhaps...

01-01-2008 03:16:23 | More by msubulldog25
boralyl

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%

A - Pours a clear copper/amber color with an inch of creamy white head. The head has nice retention and leaves generous lacing.

S - Upon first whiff I get some malty sweetness. Some fruity hops make themselves noticed upon a 2nd inhale.

M - Light to medium on body with moderate carbonation and a nice smooth creamy finish.

T - A little bit of malty sweetness up front followed by some fruity hops. The hops complement the beer, but by no means are the main highlight. The beer completes with some biscuity malts and a clean lager finish.

A very well made lager, however I was expecting a little more malt flavor. The beer is very clean and the fruity hops complement the malts. I'm looking forward to trying their other lagers.

02-12-2012 06:02:51 | More by boralyl

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

05-30-2014 00:57:54 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
beertunes

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to Tyler for grabbing this for me on his recent trip to PDX.
Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a clear coppery-amber color with about 1/2 inch of off white head that moderate retention and lacing.

The aroma was very malt dominant, nice grain scents, with well used hops providing a bit of spiciness. On the tongue, the grain still dominated but the hops had a slightly stronger presence. Not a hop bomb by any means, but enough to provide a nicely balanced taste.

The body is very good, full without being heavy, and crisp. Drinkability was top-notch. I could easily drink a few pints of this beauty. I've heard very good things about this brewery for a couple of years now and, for a change, the beer lives up to the hype. Worth seeking out.

07-04-2010 23:43:25 | More by beertunes