Coastal Common - Heater Allen Brewing

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by coastiefish:
2.53/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

___NOTE: I will be editing this review. Clearly, the bottle I had was not quality product. I since have had another, and it was, well, GOOD BEER.

Poured from 22.

A-fugly cloudy copper brown

S-malts and grain

T-coppery metallic, grainy. Finishes quick

M-very thin, slick. not very desirable.

D-I dont care for this. Its a wall flower at best. aint no junk in the trunk.

Im not quite sure about these other reviews, as I am not finding anything good to pull from this brew. No complexity, nothing..
I am currently going through the available Heater Allen brews, and I do have high hopes as I really, thoroughly enjoyed the Bavarian Wheat. Though this beer falls very very short of- not my expectations, but the style.

4.8/5  rDev +27.7%

Picked up on recommendation of very nice clerk at Belmont Station in Portland a few months ago and finally got around to trying it.
I mentioned that I don't particularly care for bottom fermented beers but she said I just might change my mind with this one.
An understatement.
Exceptional pour into 21st Amendment chalice. Nice golden head, hazy bronze color.
Full flavored lager and very pleasing to the palate. Slightly sweet taste followed with just the right hop balance in the aftertaste.
This is the best lager I have had and it clearly deserves high marks in my opinion.
I can't say enough about this beer. Try it if you get the chance and decide for yourself.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into a pilsner glass. Pours a nice amber/gold color with a small head.

Nice and balanced aromas of citrus, grains, and some noble hops.

Very good medium feel that is very smooth. Nice and balanced with a nice bit of citrus and grains.

A really nice common. Balanced with good citrus notes on both the aromas and taste.

2.71/5  rDev -27.9%

tan in color with a golden body. med head which didn't hold to strong but it was alright...

Carmel in flavor with the overpowering carbination. I simply can't get past it. it is actually burning the top of my mouth right now. I can taste a couple different spices in there and everytime I think i have the roof of my mouth starts to burn....

Can't say I would go out of my way to fill another glass with this...

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a generic 12 oz glass.

Pours a semi-clear, light amber with a fairly small head that quickly shrinks to a small cap, leaving no lacing.

Smell is grainy and bready, with a sort of fruity undertone to it. A slight hop pungency gets through as well, lending a little bit of a floral characteristic to the lightly toasted bread scent.

Taste follows pretty lock-step with the smell, but with a slightly more pronounced hop twang. The malt sweetness comes through strong, with a bready characteristic coating the tongue. The light carbonation allows this beer to sort of soak on the tongue, leaving a toasted bread/bitter pine aftertaste, which I enjoy very much.

Yet another Heater Allen that is fairly easy to enjoy and drink, though a bit more muddled than the other HA beers I've had.

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

So I believe this brews style is technically 'california common' (aka steam beer), not an amber/red lager... They also named it 'coastal common' to be more Oregonian. Slick wine bottle looking label, clean and minimal, classy looking bottle.

Pours with a slight haze and a thin head. Copper brown and quite inviting.

This one has a great hop-forward profile, from the aroma through to the aftertaste. A bit of chewy and bready in the middle and aftertaste, but nice sharp hops in the first sip and finish. It's a buffet in my mouth! A very drinkable and should offer year-round enjoyment. Boy do I love a good lager, a style that Oregon is lacking.

I'm glad this one came in a 22, definitely didn't get tired of it by the end of the first pint!

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

22 oz from Roth's Sunnyside Market S.Salem. $4.79
Light amber, slightly hazy body with a really nice thicK eggshell white head.
Good hearty malt aromas,a little grassy hop.
Taste is mainlly light caramel malts followed by a great grassy,zesty hop kin the end.
I really liked how this one went down..very good balance/change over from malt to hops.
Overall the bect Steam i have had..went down an absolute treat.

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

22oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a golden orange with a foamy off white head and decent lacing.

A pleasant aroma of grassy hops and a bready, biscuit malt backing.

A strong malty backbone accented by light grassy hops.

A medium body with a medium level of carbonation.

Fairly simple and straight-forward but still quite enjoyable and easy drinking. Another solid lager from Heater Allen.

2.88/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured from a 22oz into a pint glass

Appearance: Amber, darker than expected. Thin head.

Smell: Very surprisingly bitter and hoppy - relatively speaking, for a lager. (its no IPA, but I can't say I've stuck my nose in a lager and discovered so much bitters). Has a lingering sweet flatness that must be the malts

Taste: Fascinating. Quite dry, flat, and a "the back of my tongue is drying out" bitterness factor. And yet, the malts are totally there. Biscuity, a tad sweet.

Mouthfeel: Tingling acidic dryness on the back of the tongue as mentioned above but still manages to leave a thin coat of silkiness. This beer is weird.

Drinkability: Well.. this beer is confusing. I typically like complex, genre-busting beers but I don't quite know what to do with this one. Can't say I'd grab another.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Color is a dark, burnt orange. Pours with a one-inch cream head that slowly dissipated, leaving some lacing on the side and a thin film on top.

S: Lots of bready malt flavors with a little caramel mixed in. Picking up some faint hoppy bitterness, but not much.

T: More of the same. Strong bread malt flavors and caramel (although not sweet). Seems a little earthy. Hop bitterness shows up a little on the end, but the finish generally dies off pretty quickly.

M: Medium to medium-low body with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink, doesn't come across as heavy at all.

D: I've had Coastal Common many times in the past two years and this one didn't seem up to par. Slightly more malty than I remember it with less hop flavors. I remember this early on as a sessionable beer with a nice hop flavor, but limited bitterness. It doesn't quite live up to my original assesssment, unfortunately. Still a good beer, just not as good as I remember it.

4.46/5  rDev +18.6%

Bottle from Belmont station. This has been a long time coming. Review #1800

Pouring a clear copper amber with a thick, persistent, off-white head that leaves gorgeous lacing, this beer looks perfect. The nose is similarly excellent. Exceptionally balanced with a soft, delicate Vienna malt aroma, bready, slightly toasty, and some caramel and burnt sugar notes. The hop character is similarly excellent. A blend of earthy, lemony, zesty and minty German hops with the more pungent Cascade grapefruit notes, and its associated chalkiness, this smells great. A mild yeast character, mildly fruity, is also apparent. Excellent.

The palate opens moderately bitter, with a blend of grapefruit zest, mint and grassy/earthy German hops, and with some really nice malt character. Delicately layered, with dough, bread, toast, caramel and burnt sugar, the balance is exceptional. The steam beer approach used with this beer does lend a mild fruitiness and a mild heft to the palate. Drying on the finish with a lingering fresh, snappy, mildly oily hop bitterness and a doughy and caramel-like flavor, this beer is a treat on the palate. Medium light in body with an extraordinary soft but firm carbonation, this beer is crisp and clean, managing to be both, refreshing and satisfying.

At the risk of sounding elitist, this is a wonderful treat for fans of nuanced beers. This is probably my favorite Vienna lager yet, and sure makes up for my missing another German beer fest at Maxs.

4.25/5  rDev +13%

2.76/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

The appearance is attractive enough, with the coppery, orange amber color. Head is on the short side and evaporates before long. Plenty of spritz on the tongue. Aroma

This is so bitter, especially for the lack of aromatic hop flavors. Flavors revolve around murk, muck, and some kind of burnt herbs. I keep thinking of wood, but maybe it's more furniture polish. Aftertaste gets more and more medicinal and I just want it to go away.

This beer leaves me confused. I mean, what is is? I just don't get what they were trying to do. It seems well made for the other attributes but the harsh mouth-scraping bitter gunkiness makes this just undrinkable. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Bine & Vine in San Diego.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance: It pours with a light spacing of foam, but pretty much no head. It has a golden amber color as well.

Smell: It has some light malt aromas and some bready malts. Not too much aroma.

Taste: It has a great woody, earthy hoppiness, with a slighty malt backbone, with some nice lager yeast notes.

Mouthfeel: It has a great mouthfeel, it has a great medium carbonation and nice creaminess.

O: Overall, this beer is a pretty good interpretation of a Steam beer, except with a lot more hops. I really enjoyed how it was a bit more rich and hoppy than malty like a regular Steam beer. I definitely enjoyed the yeast notes and woody, earthy hoppiness. Definitely would buy again, and also it was a great buy at $4.50!!

3.99/5  rDev +6.1%

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a cloudy amber color, frothy white head with good lacing
S: Sweet and bready. Also some fruit in there as well as herbal/grassy hop scent
T: Bready malth up front followed by sharp herbal hop bitterness.
M: Medium bodied beer, finishes dry
O: Good drinkable full flavored lager, would buy this again.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast