Hopdinger - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

good

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 06-06-2008)

2.8/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from bottle to a pilsner glass, the beer is amber, with chillhaze. It has a strong head, initially, which recedes to a thin white foam the clings to the side of the glass.

Piney hops are the dominant component of the aroma and flavor profile. While it leans towards hop bitterness, it is not unbalanced as there is a slight sweetness that it plays against.

The beer is slightly dextrinous in the mouth.

This reminds me a bit of Bells Two Hearted, maybe not quite as agressive, but that is not too shabby.

UPDATE: 8/4/13
Maybe a little too much sweetness, and some diacetyl detected. Hop flavor leans a little towards dankness.

Update: 4/4/14
This beer now seems like a diacetyl bomb to me. The fact that I have five bottle in my fridge is a huge disappointment.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

Poured a golden/slightly hazy color with a 3 finger fluffy white head that disappeared quickly.

Smell is not quite as strong as I would have hoped, but some nice piney/grapefruit scents.

Taste is refreshing - would like a bit more complexity from the hops and a slightly maltier backbone, but not shabby.

Mouthfeel - nothing notable.

Overall a solid APA, but one that I will likely not seek out.

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

This beer poured out as a nice golden color with a very large white foamy head on top. The lacing is clumpy and sticks to the glass with every sip. The smell of this beer was very hoppy with some notes of earthy yeast in there that kind of reminded me of some Belgian ales. The taste of the beer was bitter, loaded with hops that go from citrusy pine to earthy dry. The finish still reminds me of some Belgian Pale Ale's I've had in the past. The mouthfeel of the beer has a lively carbonation to it and had a medium body as well. Overall I think this beer was good, I expected it to be an IIPA from the label it had but after tasting it I thought it was supposed to be a Belgian IPA and turned out that it's an APA on here. So it's a little scattered in my opinion. Not a bad brew though at all.

3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

12 oz bottle poured into tulip pint. No date.

Appearance: Dark Amber in color, very clear with noticeable carbonation. Fluffy head that dissipates quickly, thin layer sticks around. Moderate lacing.

Aroma: Lots of hops upfront, mainly grapefruit, orange, melon, a hint of pine.

Taste: Hops predominate with the malitness playing cacth-up. Hop profile reminds me of a toned down version of Two Hearted. A little bit of earthiness/funk with a sour finish that isn't terribly appealing.

Mouthfeel: Nice and full, decent carbonation, little stickiness on the palate. A little watery overall, but not bad for an APA.

Overall: Not bad, wish I knew how fresh this one was. Not something I’d seek out, but wouldn’t pass up either.

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%

O'so Hopdinger, O'So Brewing Company, Plover, WI.
"Pungent. Hoppy. Crisp. Floral. Bitter. Piney. Resinous. Engaging."

Well, great, now I don't need to write anything, do I?

I will, anyway.

Murky, dank deep amber hue, considerable carbonation and head. Billowing and lacy. Gigantic. Impressive….whoa, if I don't watch out, they'll have me expressing myself in one word statements.

Aroma: Yup, bitter, floral, piney, resinous, citric, pungent, hoppy, ….let's not repeat ourselves. It hits the notes you want in a double IPA. A little hint of honey in there, too, unless I'm imagining it. And I'm not.

Taste: bitter and pungent, and all that all over again. Malt flavor keep up with the huge hops, and there's an astringency added in that I can't help feeling was unintended. Don't think I tasted this when I bought it back in November. Yeah, why did this sit in the fridge for 3 months? And is the brew older than that, actually? No bottled on date, no way to know.

This bottle is definitely funkier than when it was (I think) fresh. A little sour happening here. Lesson learned. Drink those hoppy beers up, don't sit on them, like the Pliny the Elder label implores us. We're not hens, and they're not eggs.
It does not mean, in any way shape or form, that a week or two or three will make them undrinkable, but …hey, maybe I'm wrong.

I do like this like this. It has a Belgian quality that I find utterly diggable. Not crisply clean like a HopSlam or any kind of palate buster like a Maharaja and nowhere as smooth as an Abrasive Ale. But, quite flavorful, and unique. Lively carbonation, non-stop hops. I do like it.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%