Hopdinger - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

good

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 06-06-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
KeefD

Pours a dark orange/amber color with a large white head and nice lacing. Aroma is diacetyl city. Nothing but butterscotch and popcorn in the nose. Yuck. Taste isn't much better. I'm really getting nothing that tastes like a pale ale. No bitterness, no citric hops, barely any malt. This is really a bad beer. Do they not taste this stuff before it goes out?

12-02-2009 00:44:22 | More by KeefD
gatornation

3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

the pour is typical of a good IPA its orange and fresh looking with a good head and lacing,,the smell to me is vinegar first then pine and citrus..WOW i dont know what to say i taste overwhelming vinegar in this one.. is this a flanders red?..again im not sure on this... yes i can drink it but it has a funky sour vinegar taste for an ipa..low scores are due to this for the style..you be the judge but this one is not for me when i want a hoppy pine/citrus malt/hop IPA

11-24-2009 23:58:24 | More by gatornation
uwmgdman

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

The beer pours a clear dark golden/copper color with a moderate white head. The aroma is highly hoppy-citrus meets pine with just a bit of sweetness. The flavor is moderate-high hop-piney, citrus, and a bit of grass with medium-high bitterness. The finish is balanced with a prickly bitterness and just a bit of caramel malt coming through at the swallow. The body is medium and carbonation medium-high. Overall a well done flavorful APA - worth a purchase.

11-14-2009 05:00:30 | More by uwmgdman
wheatyweiss

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect.

Pours a mdium straw with a decent head and lacing.

Aroma is of diacetyl and malt with a sliht hop rider.

Flavor is tannic acis, weak malt and a slight hop bite. Finishes dry.

Mouthfeel is medium with a decent amount of carbonation.

Not bad,a good quencher. The only bad point is the diacetyl.

Re-visited 10/23/10

A much better beer than the first I had, which in retrospect had to have been old or mis-handled. This is a very solid Pale Ale with a delicious hop and citrus flavor.

11-08-2009 02:30:37 | More by wheatyweiss
minnunderground

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

A- BAM copper in your face creamy tannish head
S-Citrus hops pine?
T-Good amount of malt...i like that...not as hoppy as I expected but I'm not complaining.

All and all pretty drinkable, but wasnt what I was expecting. But hey for a random grab off the shelf not too shabby

11-07-2009 06:17:46 | More by minnunderground
Vonerichs

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Body is a translucent copper color with a light head and light lacing.

This has an interesting and unique smell. I pick up an artificial green apple scent that reminds me of a green apple Jolly Rancher. There are also your standard citrus hops and a light caramel backbone.

This is a nicely balanced pale ale. The taste of the hops are mostly of the citrus and tropical fruit variety, with a light bitter pine bite to it. The sweet caramel malts provide a strong balance.

Crisp and light mouthfeel. The finish is slightly bitter. It's a litttle too thin in my opinion.

This is an easy drinker. The body is relatively light and everything about it is crisp. It's not a pale ale that stands out among the best in the category, but it is certainly respectable beer.

11-01-2009 20:14:58 | More by Vonerichs
Ek0nomik

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Purchased At: Steve's Liquor (Madison, WI)

Appearance: Whew, baby, this one is made out of pennies. A very rich copper color with very little light making its way through the glass. A finger of head on the top that dissipates rather quickly. I'm left with a very thin layer of oily head with some small bubbles. These oils are a good sign.

Smell: I wasn't expecting this strong of an aroma from this APA. It looks like this is going to have a fairly good hop presence. A nice blend of grapefruit and orange peel.

Taste: This doesn't happen often. The nose misled me. While this beer does have a well rounded hop profile, I was expecting a bit more citrus on the tongue based on what the nose gave me. A little bit of grapefruit and orange peel with a dash of mango, followed with some grass, pine, and soil.

Mouthfeel: Wow. The hop oils coating my teeth, gums, and tongue is wonderful. I wasn't expecting this out of an "APA". A lovely feeling in the mouth after it trickles down the back of my throat.

Drinkability: This is a great beer, and more worthy than what fellow BA's have given it. This will end up in my crate again.

09-22-2009 00:30:20 | More by Ek0nomik
Florida9

3.65/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Flat out copper in color. Clear with a good amount of carbonation bubbles drifting to the surface. A good one and half to two fingers of foamy almost tan head with some pretty good lacing.

S: Pine, orange, grapefruit, citrus. Even a little mango. Nice.

T: Sweet caramel malts followed by a resiny bitterness that drops off rather quickly, leaving room for a fruity-malty flavor to return. Much maltier than I expected, especially given the hoppy name and the hoppy aroma.

M: Medium with decent carbonation.

D: A decent Pale Ale. Certainly more of a balanced beer than I was expecting, but still a solid beer. If I had better access, I could see drinking this one on a semi-regular basis, but since this is from a smaller WI brewery, I know I won't be seeing it too often.

09-09-2009 01:08:50 | More by Florida9
Giveit2medark

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

Served from a growler into a pint glass.

This beer poured with a beautiful dark golden color and maintained a thick creamy head.

I picked up a citrusy almost green hop aroma along with a moderate malty smell.

The flavor starts off malty and finishes hoppy i would like a bit more hops up front.

Serving type: growler

08-25-2009 22:46:22 | More by Giveit2medark
RblWthACoz

3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I wonder precisely how many more possible names there are that have the word "hop" in there anymore.

Pours a slightly fogged orange gold with a thin head. Nose is a quick hit of citrus hops that dies real quick (as in a matter of a half second.) Flavor is a biting pine and citrus hop thing. Slightly salty. More brightly citric than anything else though. Feel is a bit thicker and sticky on liquid. Carbonation is lower. Decent as an APA. Might be interesting on cask.

08-13-2009 02:10:59 | More by RblWthACoz
taylorhamrick

South Carolina

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not quite pale ale color, pours a nice deep amber, maybe a dark, dark orange, fairly clear, but a little bit of yeast falls in towards the end, making a nice cloud of haze that descends. The head is decent sized, probably 2+cm, but it sort of falls back, into a little pad, and leaves alright lacing. The smell is not as strong on hops as the name would suggest. It, at best, smells like tea, very leafy, kind of earthy and herbal, actually there's a faint hint of tartness, almost like cherries, maybe a tiny hint of vinegar in the nose. I'm not sure I hate it, but I certainly don't love it. The taste starts off lightly sweet and malty, with some crackery dryness. Then it sort of builds, with a combination of yeasty flavors, and then some earthy hops. It gets a taste thats very leafy, brings tea to mind again, maybe a bit of just straight leaves - the nearly flavorless kind. There's a hint of tart cherry. Not much in terms of citrus. Then the malt comes back again, with a kind of watery caramel finish. This one is a bit on the thin side of medium at its peak, but it finishes a bit thinner. The carbonation is lively, but doesn't provide much of a sting. The mouthfeel is pretty nice I'd say. This one actually is not quite as advertised, but I don't dislike it. The tartness is interesting, but I don't now if it was intended. I actually enjoyed it, probably would've enjoyed it a bit more blind. But I would not tell anyone that this was a good pale ale. I think the most enjoyable aspects of it were sort of accidental.

07-23-2009 23:46:42 | More by taylorhamrick
blackearth

2.93/5  rDev -17%

Purchased from Three Cellars in Franklin, WI. Pours a clear, golden orange with a very thick, fluffy white head that falls to a cap that lasts to the end. Good lacing. Aroma is of floral hops and toasted malt. Medium bodied with just the right carbonation, this beer has piney hop flavor and some phenols from yeast and I can't taste any sweetness from the malt. Reminds me of homebrew. I'd try this again if I were visiting the brewery, but there are much better representations of the style out there. Speaking of which, this tastes more like an IPA than a Pale Ale.

07-06-2009 23:45:34 | More by blackearth
MasterSki

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Got one of these from Dave (d0b) - I'd never heard of it. Served in my trusty Surly pint glass.

A - Three fingers of pillowy off-white foam with solid retention and lots of patchy lacing. Transparent red-orange color with a slight haze and a few tiny bubbles rising to the top. Looks like an APA should!

S - Lots of grassy/earthy hoppiness, with a solid toffee and bready malt backdrop. I can tell this is definitely fresh - not all that different from the SNPA I had yesterday. Pretty solid stuff.

T - The beer is quite a bit more malt-forward than the smell - lots of nice toffee and bready notes, with only a tinge of floral hops. I think it needs a tiny bit more hoppiness to call itself an APA - this feels more English Pale.

M - There's a little bit more carbonation than I typically like - a little bit of burn on my hard palate. It's medium-bodied and otherwise pretty average.

D - I could definitely have a couple of these brews, but it's not hoppy enough to be a preferred session beer, especially for something called Hopdinger!

05-22-2009 19:22:36 | More by MasterSki
Ragingbull

3.45/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Amber in color and a little bit cloudy in appearance. Pretty substantial and foamy head that clings to the glass. Decent amount of prickle in the beer. Light fruit tones in the nose, perhaps a fruity candy type of quality. The attack is mildly sweet with perhaps hints of fruit, I wonder if it might be imparted to my tastebuds by the fragrances I experienced. After further investigation I discover that the fruit/floral sensations cling to the edges of the mouth and are indeed part of the flavor and/or mouthfeel. There is a subtle drying sensation in the mouth and perhaps just a little drop of butterscotch like flavor on the very tip of the tongue as the mouth dries and everything else clears away. Perhaps this is where I got the candy from.

05-11-2009 19:04:23 | More by Ragingbull
alcstradamus

Washington

2.2/5  rDev -37.7%

A--Very dark, murky amber color with about a finger of head with good lacing

S--Wow this is very odd smelling. I'm having a tough time putting my finger on this, its like some sort of candy sweetness. Whatever it is, it is kind of offensive in a beer. I once tried a Bubbalicious gum that was filled with some strawberry liquid, and this kind of smells like that liquid. Unfortunately, the gum was gross.

T--For a beer called "hopdinger" you would really expect to taste some hops in it. Unfortunately this is almost 100% malty sweetness. Now, I'm not the type of person that says "its too sweet to drink." If it is tasty then it is tasty. But this is just empty, its like drinking a candy beer only the candy is generic and expired and watered down.

M--Medium bodied yet still feels very watery

D--I don't even want to finish this, really. It sort of tastes like something Anheuser Busch would put out under a new brand name to trying and convince people it is "premium"

04-14-2009 16:06:15 | More by alcstradamus
emerge077

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%

Picked up a couple singles off the shelf at Three Cellars.
Label is different from the one pictured, it has a big yellow "O" and light green hop cones in the background.

Hazy orange pour, three fingers of white foam. A reddish tint with visible micro-sediment in the light. Slight lacing at the edges, where the liquid met the rim. The head dissipated to a broken skim, but rejuvenated itself with a swirl.

Aroma of dried apricot with a dominating malt presence.

Light hop citrus, not especially bitter, though the aftertaste has that earthy herbal hop smack. Pretty clean flavors, with a dominant malt presence. Light bodied, a little bit thin. A bigger sip gets more bitterness. Overall pretty drinkable, since I needed two to finish a review!

04-09-2009 01:18:38 | More by emerge077
dirtylou

Washington

2.85/5  rDev -19.3%

12oz single, riley's

appearance: poured into a great dane pint...actually a great looking beer - dull amber body, 1/2" fluffy white cap that retains itself throughout....nice

smell: earthy, light herbal hop presence, grainy, wild mushroom...hmm

taste: not sure i really understand this one...its earthy and grainy, with a blast of tragic diacetyl...the hop presence is entirely unremarkable and this one leaves me without many positive words

mouthfeel: finishes a little dry, medium body

drinkability: meh

04-03-2009 00:28:27 | More by dirtylou
cokes

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Dusty copper hued with a modest but super-sticky beige cap.
Doughy, lemon muffin nose with perks of lime and orange zests, toasted grains, and a big buttery dollop of diacetyl.
Doughball like maltiness upon it onset into the mouth. Fluffy dinner rolls, all slathered in butter...the diacetyl shows up here too, and in a pretty major way. Some caramel apples show up, covering a coarser graininess. Lemon oil bitterness concludes things with lingering notions of tobacco earthiness and black tea.
Medium bodied with a low but perky carbonation.
The label, with all it's gaudy claims of American hoppiness, is a lie...or there was a major screw up with the execution. But, somehow, the end result is a fairly solid ESB, and I've rated it along those lines, but it doesn't seem to be what they've aim for. At all.

I like it in a weird way, but the diacetyl levels need to be toned down a bit (or a lot).

03-21-2009 03:39:18 | More by cokes
Atron67

3.65/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a beautiful amber color with a big fluffy white head on top that stuck around quite inpressively. clear body.

S- majporly a citrus aroma, definitely a little more complex then just that though, contains a bit of lemony and orangy character.

T- has a very delicious bitter start. munich malts are definetly the main malt flavor aspect) not a 'grapefruit' over powering pale ale, but it fits its profile. the malts stick around and give it a balanced and smoother finish than you would expect from the start (or from the scent) there seems to be a little bit of a off-flavor finish however that clashes a little. i've had it come from both under-pitching yeast and something akin to light struck in my homebrewing experience, however i'de bet its coming from under pitching however its relatively subtle and possibly not their fault.

M- medium body, and relatively light carbonation. lingering maltiness on the tongue with the bitterness.

D- a solid pale ale. still would consider it an odd name for such an 'english' style brew.

tasty and flavorful, and its always nice to try out a new brewery.

03-15-2009 23:17:47 | More by Atron67
kickapoodude

Alaska

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

I picked up this beer because I really wanted to get my butt kicked by some brutal hops. The label speaks of obnoxious hops, so I thought that this stuff would melt my face. The smell was all hops baby, but the maltiness and smooth mouthfeel seems to mellow the flavor of the hops. My brother in law loves this because he is not hip on the bitterness of pales and IPA's. Still a great brew that has ample snort, but not the hoppiest brew I've had.

01-21-2009 17:29:16 | More by kickapoodude
brewcrew76

2.08/5  rDev -41.1%

A - Pours hazy copper with 2 finger off white head and sticky lacing.

S - Faint aroma with piney and citrus hops, light malts and some type of off aroma I can't place (diacetyl?).

T - Diacetyl and metallic taste with some malts and hops in the background but hard to pick out after the diacetyl/metallic bomb.

M - I think the off flavors cause a bit of a tongue biting feel. Someone please give me a sponge to scrub this awful taste out of my mouth.

D - 0 for 2 on O'so beers. I really don't want to try the third one I have in the fridge. If only I could have my money back. Diacetyl hop burps are not so pleasant.

01-19-2009 00:00:54 | More by brewcrew76
WJVII

2.68/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured into a pint glass this brew is a light wheat color, semi transparent, not too cloudy, with a decent white head. Limited lacing of the glass. Aroma is ok, but seems a bit on the light side. Some hops bouquet, but quite mild. I get light floral and a bit of cut grass smell. The taste is a little weak as well. More on the "wet" side with a mild hop taste, not that bitter. There isn't much of a malt taste here either. I am not sure I would want to sit and drink more than one or two of these in a single sitting. From a new brewery in town, this could use some work.

12-24-2008 01:50:50 | More by WJVII
BeerBelcher

2.13/5  rDev -39.7%

I had high hopes for this beer when it poured out of the bottle into the glass. It was gold-amber with a nearly brilliant body and great head formation with bubbles that seemed to swirl in the glass in the 2 inches below the head in a way that was reminiscent to me of beer from a beer engine. Sadly, that is where the good times ended. Aroma is pretty lackluster, with some maltiness and faint hop notes. Flavor is more malty than hoppy, but really dominated by diacetyl and a weird metallic taste.

I'd counsel you to avoid this one. Life is too short and alternatives too plentiful to drink APA/IPA/DIPAs that are at best mediocre.

10-26-2008 21:47:22 | More by BeerBelcher
cdkrenz

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

A - Spongy head, very light tan colored and starting out at about two inches but fading at a fair rate. It leaves a nice trace along the 2003 Lambeau Field , etched with a clear emblem, solid glass pint. It has a very sticky look which makes it all the more inviting. I really don't know if I've seen a pale ale look as sticky as this one.

S - Nice hop aroma but not as potent as it looks.

T - Not a complex brew but most pale ales aren't. This fits the bill of hop filled flavor but leaves me a bit unsatisfied. Don't misunderstand, it is nothing short of average.

M - Its nice and soft which may be a reason for the slight taste wanting. However, I think its nice to enjoy a hoppy brew with a nice flow down the trote.

~ This being a local brewery makes me excited. I myself am not in the brewing field but appreciate having some very high quality people around the area brewing some, in my opinion, excellent beer. I look forward to this brewery succeeding. As far as the overall drinkability of this beer. It is without a doubt, good beer.

10-09-2008 02:48:28 | More by cdkrenz
kmeves

2.15/5  rDev -39.1%

On tap at Great Lakes Brew Fest. Pours a deep orange with a medium sized white head. Aroma is medium sweet, light citrus, biscuity and a very faint fruit. Butterscotch is also detected. Flavor is light butterscotch (diacetyl) which detracts from and overpowers the other flavors. Light to medium bodied, creamy thin texture. Finishes abrupt and bitter

09-15-2008 20:04:14 | More by kmeves