Hopdinger - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

good

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 06-06-2008)
4.28/5  rDev +21.2%

A: This is a very heady pouring beer, filling pretty much the whole glass with foam before starting to subside. It's a whitish-beige form with a pretty smooth top, mostly made of smaller bubbles. It's taking it's sweet time to collapse too. The beer is a little hazy, golden amber with lots of active carbonation. Subsequent pours really show off the great form of this head, I really don't like giving it only a 3.5, but I'm going to stick to that.

S: Very floral citrusy aroma too it, really nice. I suppose that's the benefit of having a big head, lots of aroma being given off. It smells like orange candy almost, or orange blossom water. Just a hint of sweetness. I really dig the smell of this beer. Not overpowering, just very much there.

T: Well, now that the head has subsided to a manageable two fingers, lets taste. Still citrus and floral, less sweet than the aroma. It's free of anything I would consider off or less than good, though the bittering hops come through pretty strong, perhaps sharper than I would like in an APA. As the tongue becomes more used to the bittering it subsides (at least in perception) and the beer becomes more amicable, and the malts, smooth and slightly pastry-like come out a little better.

M: Moves from sharp bitter (influenced by the taste) to smooth, with medium body and good to slightly below good carbonation levels.

D: Very drinkable, a good one to smell, and something I could (and have) had a few of in one night with no complaint.

mdwalsh, Jul 08, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

A-Pours a slightly copper/amber color with very light tan, two finger head.

S-Smells of sweet orange, grapefruit, pineapple and some pine.

T-Orange and a little bitter grapefruit with some pine and caramel notes.

M-Pretty well carbonated that causes that prickly sensation. Medium bodied, although a little on the thin side, and smooth, with a light dryness.

D-This is a nice pale ale and one I can appreciate. Solid, easy drinking that would be in regular rotation in my fridge if it was available to me regularly.

samie85, Jun 30, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

A - Hazy copper color with two-finger head and slight lacing

S - Floral hops, citrus, pine

T - It wasn't as I hoppy as I was led to believe but hop-forward, pine/citrus aftertaste

M - Medium-bodied with a smooth finish

D - This is a nice APA with plenty of hops and it goes down easy. Good stuff.

NealVsBeer, Jun 27, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to BDLbrewster for this as an extra in a recent trade!

A: Hazy, golden brown, with a cream colored head that fades quickly.

S: Just like the bottle says, pine and grapefruit hops up front. Not too much maltyness in the nose.

T: The hops aren't as prevalent in the taste as they are in the nose. There is a mild amount of bitterness, which is in the right area for an American Pale Ale. I'm getting more malts here than in the nose, most specifically some sweet caramel notes.

M: Lighter bodied, with a less than desired carbonation, and a bit of a watery mouthfeel. This is where this beer really takes a hit.

D: Definitely a refreshing beer for the summer months, and I'm glad I got to try it during this beautiful Memorial Day weekend.

aglose45, May 29, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured into CCB snifter.

Pours a small layer of fizzy beige head. Color is a hazed dull bronze copper.

Aroma: Very sweet ripe fruit. Some floral hops. Mangoes, tangerines present. Not to bad.

Taste: More creamy and malty than the aroma would suggest. Lots of hop resin here. Some grapefruit and mango flavors here. Not as good as the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Bitter with lots of hop resin going on. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a weedy, grassy aftertaste.

Overall, started out good and went downhill from there. Nothing I really want a lot of. However, it reminds me more of an ipa than an apa. Where are the pale malts?

mothman, May 05, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

A: Solid inch of head from a hard pour, deep copper to weak coffee in color, head is thick and ever so slightly craggy, minor lacing - 3.75, S: Hopdinger's label runs through a mini-thesaurus of adjectives to describe the beer and the one they overlooked was herbal which is what I first pick up on the nose, some slight overripe pineapple, a touch of bubblegum with a hint of floral hops, quite grainy, mild nose overall - 3.25, T: Pine needles and grapefruit, slight caramel malt sweetness, quite dry, - 3.00, M: Medium mouth feel with a thin slickness - 3.50, T: A decent APA, edges a little toward the side of meek - 3.00

deereless, Mar 31, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

A-Copper color...a little clouded...small white head..

S-Fresh and hop forward...piney/floral hop aroma...it is nice...some light toffee like malt evident as well...I like the smell...smells very hoppy for an apa

T-Not quite as hop forward as the aroma suggests but that is not to say the hops are light as they still lead the way and shine brightly....a nice piney/floral hop flavor...malt still leans more toward a toffee note.

M-Dryish finish...medium to medium/light bodied..if anything a little thin but I have to keep reminding myself this is an APA, not an IPA as it is assertive enough with the hops to be the later....smooth texture..hops definitely bite a little on the finish..

D-A nice APA that gives you a nice dose of hops...

ZAP, Feb 25, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

12oz. I noticed some sediment in the bottom of the bottle before opening, so I poured carefully to leave the sediment in the bottle, but hard enough to produce a nice pillowy white head atop a bright amber ale. I really wasn't expecting much from a brewery I'd never heard of, but the appearance and aroma sparked my interest. Sweet malt, citrus and floral hops filled my nose giving me a hint that this was a quality brew. Initial tastes were full in flavor with notes of pine and grapefruit with a solid bready malt backbone. Some herbal hops in the mix along with a nice bitter, slightly spicy or white pepper hop finish. Mouth-feel is medium bodied with nice hop resins coating the palate well. Overall impression is very good from me. Really enjoyed this ale - great representation of a bold American Pale Ale.

barnzy78, Feb 22, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +21.8%

Wow, O'So might be the best Wisconsin brewery nobody has heard of. I poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. It pours with what almost looks like a thick consistency. There's no head and some lacing and there's a nice copper coloring with just a hint of gold. This smells great! There's a sweet caramel scent here that makes the mouth water. And the taste, the taste matches the smell. For a beer called Hopdinger, the hops feel really buried here. It was a surprise, but a surprise that works real well. Combine that nice sweet taste with a creamy mouthfeel and you have something that I could drink 12 of. I wonder what the ABV is on this. I have a feeling that this could be a beer that sneaks up on you. Can't wait to buy another one.

billyzoom666, Feb 14, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +31.7%

This is my first Hopdinger and my first O'SO Brewing Co. product. I think the beer is fantastic and would consider it for permanent stock in my fridge. Here's why:

I poured this bad boy into a pilsner-type glass I got from Goos Island...It immediately felt like it owned the glass. The color is a beautiful amber and after pouring had about an 3/4-1" head. Perfect! Although My senses are still getting used to reviewing beers, it smelled like a Quetico Province morning. Pine with other outdoors like smells. The smell did not last through the whole beer and was rather bland after the head left. As for mouthfeel, I am not sure what that even means. It felt nice, cool, and refreshing. The "drinkability" is amazing. No complaints here. As for TASTE...This beer is excellent. I am very satisfied. I only wish I had bought a 6-pack instead of mixing 5 other beers with this one. Good Job O'SO. I will be looking for your name more often!

I have to add one thing. I looked up diacetyl since everyone else was using the word. When I took a sip and held the beverage in my mouth and slowly let it drain down my throat I did notice a bit of a buttery taste...Good reviews guys!

Also, I just noticed that my bottle is different than the picture above. Probably a new label.

mazingblue, Feb 11, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -40.5%

Upon pouring, I get a half glass of amber colored beer and a half glass of thick, frothy white head. Seems a little charged up to me. Not a good sign. Sweet grainy smell with some baked bread and a little citrus. Not a good sign was right. This one is not on. Highly carbonated and not enjoyable at all. Flavor is bland and a little off. A little cardboard. Nothing "APA" like in it at all. I've had 3 O'sos so far. 2 very good. 1 very not good.

Bighuge, Jan 13, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

(Served in a chalice)
A- This beer has a hazy deep orange body with a creamy beige head that pushes above the glass and leaves rings on the glass with each sip.
S- This beer has a soft aroma of green pine hops that grow a bit as it warms.
T- This beer has a full green hop flavor with a slight pine slight citrus character. There is a slight hop watery taste but it is still pleasant. There is a soft fresh pale malt underneath with some light spun sugar notes that grow as the beer warms. There is a nice balanced hop bitterness at the finish.
M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol heat. D- The malt supports the hops and both are fresh and vibrant. The hops grow nicely as the beer warms but a faint tartness in the finish grows a bit to much.

rhoadsrage, Jan 06, 2010

Pours a dark orange/amber color with a large white head and nice lacing. Aroma is diacetyl city. Nothing but butterscotch and popcorn in the nose. Yuck. Taste isn't much better. I'm really getting nothing that tastes like a pale ale. No bitterness, no citric hops, barely any malt. This is really a bad beer. Do they not taste this stuff before it goes out?

KeefD, Dec 02, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

the pour is typical of a good IPA its orange and fresh looking with a good head and lacing,,the smell to me is vinegar first then pine and citrus..WOW i dont know what to say i taste overwhelming vinegar in this one.. is this a flanders red?..again im not sure on this... yes i can drink it but it has a funky sour vinegar taste for an ipa..low scores are due to this for the style..you be the judge but this one is not for me when i want a hoppy pine/citrus malt/hop IPA

gatornation, Nov 24, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

The beer pours a clear dark golden/copper color with a moderate white head. The aroma is highly hoppy-citrus meets pine with just a bit of sweetness. The flavor is moderate-high hop-piney, citrus, and a bit of grass with medium-high bitterness. The finish is balanced with a prickly bitterness and just a bit of caramel malt coming through at the swallow. The body is medium and carbonation medium-high. Overall a well done flavorful APA - worth a purchase.

uwmgdman, Nov 14, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect.

Pours a mdium straw with a decent head and lacing.

Aroma is of diacetyl and malt with a sliht hop rider.

Flavor is tannic acis, weak malt and a slight hop bite. Finishes dry.

Mouthfeel is medium with a decent amount of carbonation.

Not bad,a good quencher. The only bad point is the diacetyl.

Re-visited 10/23/10

A much better beer than the first I had, which in retrospect had to have been old or mis-handled. This is a very solid Pale Ale with a delicious hop and citrus flavor.

wheatyweiss, Nov 08, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

A- BAM copper in your face creamy tannish head
S-Citrus hops pine?
T-Good amount of malt...i like that...not as hoppy as I expected but I'm not complaining.

All and all pretty drinkable, but wasnt what I was expecting. But hey for a random grab off the shelf not too shabby

minnunderground, Nov 07, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Body is a translucent copper color with a light head and light lacing.

This has an interesting and unique smell. I pick up an artificial green apple scent that reminds me of a green apple Jolly Rancher. There are also your standard citrus hops and a light caramel backbone.

This is a nicely balanced pale ale. The taste of the hops are mostly of the citrus and tropical fruit variety, with a light bitter pine bite to it. The sweet caramel malts provide a strong balance.

Crisp and light mouthfeel. The finish is slightly bitter. It's a litttle too thin in my opinion.

This is an easy drinker. The body is relatively light and everything about it is crisp. It's not a pale ale that stands out among the best in the category, but it is certainly respectable beer.

Vonerichs, Nov 01, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Purchased At: Steve's Liquor (Madison, WI)

Appearance: Whew, baby, this one is made out of pennies. A very rich copper color with very little light making its way through the glass. A finger of head on the top that dissipates rather quickly. I'm left with a very thin layer of oily head with some small bubbles. These oils are a good sign.

Smell: I wasn't expecting this strong of an aroma from this APA. It looks like this is going to have a fairly good hop presence. A nice blend of grapefruit and orange peel.

Taste: This doesn't happen often. The nose misled me. While this beer does have a well rounded hop profile, I was expecting a bit more citrus on the tongue based on what the nose gave me. A little bit of grapefruit and orange peel with a dash of mango, followed with some grass, pine, and soil.

Mouthfeel: Wow. The hop oils coating my teeth, gums, and tongue is wonderful. I wasn't expecting this out of an "APA". A lovely feeling in the mouth after it trickles down the back of my throat.

Drinkability: This is a great beer, and more worthy than what fellow BA's have given it. This will end up in my crate again.

Ek0nomik, Sep 22, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Flat out copper in color. Clear with a good amount of carbonation bubbles drifting to the surface. A good one and half to two fingers of foamy almost tan head with some pretty good lacing.

S: Pine, orange, grapefruit, citrus. Even a little mango. Nice.

T: Sweet caramel malts followed by a resiny bitterness that drops off rather quickly, leaving room for a fruity-malty flavor to return. Much maltier than I expected, especially given the hoppy name and the hoppy aroma.

M: Medium with decent carbonation.

D: A decent Pale Ale. Certainly more of a balanced beer than I was expecting, but still a solid beer. If I had better access, I could see drinking this one on a semi-regular basis, but since this is from a smaller WI brewery, I know I won't be seeing it too often.

Florida9, Sep 09, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

Served from a growler into a pint glass.

This beer poured with a beautiful dark golden color and maintained a thick creamy head.

I picked up a citrusy almost green hop aroma along with a moderate malty smell.

The flavor starts off malty and finishes hoppy i would like a bit more hops up front.

Giveit2medark, Aug 25, 2009
3.53/5  rDev 0%

I wonder precisely how many more possible names there are that have the word "hop" in there anymore.

Pours a slightly fogged orange gold with a thin head. Nose is a quick hit of citrus hops that dies real quick (as in a matter of a half second.) Flavor is a biting pine and citrus hop thing. Slightly salty. More brightly citric than anything else though. Feel is a bit thicker and sticky on liquid. Carbonation is lower. Decent as an APA. Might be interesting on cask.

RblWthACoz, Aug 13, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

Not quite pale ale color, pours a nice deep amber, maybe a dark, dark orange, fairly clear, but a little bit of yeast falls in towards the end, making a nice cloud of haze that descends. The head is decent sized, probably 2+cm, but it sort of falls back, into a little pad, and leaves alright lacing. The smell is not as strong on hops as the name would suggest. It, at best, smells like tea, very leafy, kind of earthy and herbal, actually there's a faint hint of tartness, almost like cherries, maybe a tiny hint of vinegar in the nose. I'm not sure I hate it, but I certainly don't love it. The taste starts off lightly sweet and malty, with some crackery dryness. Then it sort of builds, with a combination of yeasty flavors, and then some earthy hops. It gets a taste thats very leafy, brings tea to mind again, maybe a bit of just straight leaves - the nearly flavorless kind. There's a hint of tart cherry. Not much in terms of citrus. Then the malt comes back again, with a kind of watery caramel finish. This one is a bit on the thin side of medium at its peak, but it finishes a bit thinner. The carbonation is lively, but doesn't provide much of a sting. The mouthfeel is pretty nice I'd say. This one actually is not quite as advertised, but I don't dislike it. The tartness is interesting, but I don't now if it was intended. I actually enjoyed it, probably would've enjoyed it a bit more blind. But I would not tell anyone that this was a good pale ale. I think the most enjoyable aspects of it were sort of accidental.

taylorhamrick, Jul 23, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -17%

Purchased from Three Cellars in Franklin, WI. Pours a clear, golden orange with a very thick, fluffy white head that falls to a cap that lasts to the end. Good lacing. Aroma is of floral hops and toasted malt. Medium bodied with just the right carbonation, this beer has piney hop flavor and some phenols from yeast and I can't taste any sweetness from the malt. Reminds me of homebrew. I'd try this again if I were visiting the brewery, but there are much better representations of the style out there. Speaking of which, this tastes more like an IPA than a Pale Ale.

blackearth, Jul 06, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Got one of these from Dave (d0b) - I'd never heard of it. Served in my trusty Surly pint glass.

A - Three fingers of pillowy off-white foam with solid retention and lots of patchy lacing. Transparent red-orange color with a slight haze and a few tiny bubbles rising to the top. Looks like an APA should!

S - Lots of grassy/earthy hoppiness, with a solid toffee and bready malt backdrop. I can tell this is definitely fresh - not all that different from the SNPA I had yesterday. Pretty solid stuff.

T - The beer is quite a bit more malt-forward than the smell - lots of nice toffee and bready notes, with only a tinge of floral hops. I think it needs a tiny bit more hoppiness to call itself an APA - this feels more English Pale.

M - There's a little bit more carbonation than I typically like - a little bit of burn on my hard palate. It's medium-bodied and otherwise pretty average.

D - I could definitely have a couple of these brews, but it's not hoppy enough to be a preferred session beer, especially for something called Hopdinger!

MasterSki, May 22, 2009