Hopdinger - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 06-06-2008

3.71/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance -- Pours an orange-amber hue with nearly no head. Thin wisps reminiscent of a lace doily adorns the top of this beer where a head should be present. Disappointing.

Smell -- An abundance of resin, spent citrus rind, and a gentle caramel malt base. Not bad.

Taste -- Pine is in the forefront, sticky and bitter, with grapefruit pith and some floral notes. Malt base is dryer than the nose would suggest, though there is still a hint of caramel.

Mouthfeel -- Medium body, medium carbonation. Pretty good.

Drinkability -- I came into this beer with low expectations, but it's pretty good. Very hoppy, another classic Midwest AIPA (Almost India Pale Ale). If this is how they do there APA, I'm inclined to hunt down their proper IPA and IIPA's. (754 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a bottle into a Russian River wine glass. Beer is amber and hazy (served with sediment) with a one finger head of medium bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass.

Aroma is piny and malty.

Beer is medium bodied with a strong malt backbone and some nice piny hops on the palate. Overall its a decent beer but I wanted more bitterness with such a strong malt bill and hop flavor. There is also an unfortunate aftertaste to the whole thing damaging the drinkability and mouthfeel. (494 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A- orange/yellow hue with very little head, excellent lacing.

S- nice pine, earthy hops with hint of citrus in background

T- nice crisp earthy base with bitter finish.

M- decent carbonation, with med/light body.

D- Not bad, it was worth trying and supporting local breweries. Great APA to start a newbie into the world of hops actually IN beer.

SOLID; NOT MY FAV! (370 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a light copper color, with a white head. The smell reminds me of citrus hops and bubblegum. The taste is sweet which transitions to a citrus hop bitterness. Im not sure if its the aroma leading into the taste or if you can also taste bubblegum in the beer. The beer is medium light. Overall this is a drinkable beer. (332 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Thanks to MilwaukeeCrusher for this!

I just recently heard about this brewery due to them putting hop cones into on of their beers, pretty cool and pretty excited to try this.

Pours an orange amber with 3 fingers of slightly off-white head. I smell some citrus hops, malts, oranges. Tastes slightly oxidized, might be a slightly old bottle, but it's still pretty good. Citrusy hop at the front, followed by some sweet malts, and a nice bitter finish. Really smooth drinker. Mouthfeel is good and drinkability is high. I'd like to try some of this super fresh, but even with a little dust on the bottle I still thought it was a good, solid beer. (646 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

O'so Hopdinger is a beer I've never heard of from the Midwest that I got in a Reddit trade. This is a very decent American Pale Ale, with good grapefruit aroma and flavor, springy spruce hops and a sweet camellia perfume. The beer is an invite orange amber with nice sticky white head and good malt flavor. The mouthfeel is softly crisp with no alcohol burn or harshness. I would have this again if it were available to me. (423 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +29.5%

A- Nice orangish APA color, good head that provides some really nice lacing.

S- Nice and hoppy, has an awesome floral/cirtus scent that really brings out the taste.

T- Quite good, perfectly bitter I thought. The after taste is very enjoyable.

M- Although the carbonation is a little light, I find this varies from case to case. I buy this beer very frequently, and since there isn't any bottling date information, it can be hard to tell how old it is, which has a fairly drastic effect on the carbonation.

D- One of my favorite new beers to drink. I can easily drink several in a row without getting sick of it. It isn't overpowering, but has an excellent amount flavor. If you can get it at a good liquor store or grocery store that only stocks fresh batches it is absolutely worth picking up.

If you aren't satisfied with it the first time and live in the southeast Wisconsin area, and thus can get it regularly, I would suggest giving it another try, as you may be surprised by the 2nd time. (999 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Good everyday drinkable APA.

Far from a work of art in the glass, the aroma of hops and citrus are very pleasant and inviting. This beer is fairly bitter, but has a sweetness in the aftertaste which sticks around.

I have lately taken to drinking this beer regularly. It is easy to drink and sophisticated enough to not be boring. (331 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +16%

12oz bottle picked up in WI. drank from hop tulip glass. no freshness information on the label.

A- this one pours out a translucent golden orange colored body with a small bright white head on top. the head lasts for a while and leaves behind quality lacing.

S- sweet caramel malts are up first. after that comes an impressive amount of hops for such a style. lots of pine and grapefruit. a little bit of floral and earthy also.

T- the taste follows the nose closely. lots of sweet caramel malts and a healthy amount of hops to follow. pine and grapefruit are the most prevalent. theres also some earthy and floral notes.

M- light to medium bodied with ample carbonation.

D- i picked up this sixer on a whim as i was leaving the beer aisle. glad i did. one of the better APAs ive had in a while. an ideal beer for camping or longer sessions. (847 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +23.2%

Ample head builds up slowly and hangs on for a little while, nicely wrought. A lovely amber glow in the glass.
Smells of strong, bitter citrus with an unmistakable sweet beer hit in the end. Inviting.
Tastes like it smells, but better because of the fullness of the flavors and how well they all combine. The sweet reminds me of the trailing end of dark chocolate, and it sits there in the midst of the hop bitters, a calm center.
Not too thick, not too carbonated, easy goin' down. Others have called it flat, and while it's not overly carbonated "flat" is too derogatory.
Drinks easy, each sip looking forward to the next. I'll have another, please. (652 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +2%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Bright, clear, deep orange-amber body with a steady stream of bubbles rising to the 2-finger head of extra-creamy tan foam. Strong retention and plenty of lace. Awesome.

S: Pleasant but subdued aroma of grapefruit hops and caramel malt. Good balance of malt and hops, but nowhere near as intense as the label suggested.

T: Follows the nose, but with a big, rather dull bitterness. A little watery and overly biter. A little disappointing.

M: Light-to-medium bodied with a moderate amount of very fine carbonation. Pretty nice.

D: No clue what the ABV on this is, but it's easy enough to drink.

Notes: I reviewed this without having checked it on BA, and assumed from the label's profuse descriptors of hoppiness that I was dealing with a full-on American IPA. The fact that it's listed here as an APA doesn't really change the fact that it was a rather boring beer, with a big dose of hops artlessly dumped into the boil. While far from horrible, my first O'so experience was less than memorable.

Cheers! (1,046 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +16%

An aggressive pour yields a two finger head of sandy colored foam that is creamy. The body is a golden orange color that is perfectly clear. Great head retention and a little lace.

Whoa, bright hop scent. Smells like a wet hop beer. Not sure if it is. Lots of fresh earthy and citrus hops. So fresh smelling, it's amazing.

Yum. Fresh oranges, apricots and peach. A good dose of citrus and grassy notes with a touch of earthiness as well. The malt adds some nice sweetness. Really fresh.

A little flat in the carbonation department. Medium bodied, but flat. The only downfall about this beer.

I would love to drink several of these, but I could probably only do a couple due to the carbonation issue. Still a really, really good beer. I will seek this one out again in hopes that the carbonation issue gets fixed. Has such a fresh hop taste that makes it so enjoyable. (873 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +23.5%

A: This is a very heady pouring beer, filling pretty much the whole glass with foam before starting to subside. It's a whitish-beige form with a pretty smooth top, mostly made of smaller bubbles. It's taking it's sweet time to collapse too. The beer is a little hazy, golden amber with lots of active carbonation. Subsequent pours really show off the great form of this head, I really don't like giving it only a 3.5, but I'm going to stick to that.

S: Very floral citrusy aroma too it, really nice. I suppose that's the benefit of having a big head, lots of aroma being given off. It smells like orange candy almost, or orange blossom water. Just a hint of sweetness. I really dig the smell of this beer. Not overpowering, just very much there.

T: Well, now that the head has subsided to a manageable two fingers, lets taste. Still citrus and floral, less sweet than the aroma. It's free of anything I would consider off or less than good, though the bittering hops come through pretty strong, perhaps sharper than I would like in an APA. As the tongue becomes more used to the bittering it subsides (at least in perception) and the beer becomes more amicable, and the malts, smooth and slightly pastry-like come out a little better.

M: Moves from sharp bitter (influenced by the taste) to smooth, with medium body and good to slightly below good carbonation levels.

D: Very drinkable, a good one to smell, and something I could (and have) had a few of in one night with no complaint. (1,489 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

A-Pours a slightly copper/amber color with very light tan, two finger head.

S-Smells of sweet orange, grapefruit, pineapple and some pine.

T-Orange and a little bitter grapefruit with some pine and caramel notes.

M-Pretty well carbonated that causes that prickly sensation. Medium bodied, although a little on the thin side, and smooth, with a light dryness.

D-This is a nice pale ale and one I can appreciate. Solid, easy drinking that would be in regular rotation in my fridge if it was available to me regularly. (519 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

A - Hazy copper color with two-finger head and slight lacing

S - Floral hops, citrus, pine

T - It wasn't as I hoppy as I was led to believe but hop-forward, pine/citrus aftertaste

M - Medium-bodied with a smooth finish

D - This is a nice APA with plenty of hops and it goes down easy. Good stuff. (300 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks to BDLbrewster for this as an extra in a recent trade!

A: Hazy, golden brown, with a cream colored head that fades quickly.

S: Just like the bottle says, pine and grapefruit hops up front. Not too much maltyness in the nose.

T: The hops aren't as prevalent in the taste as they are in the nose. There is a mild amount of bitterness, which is in the right area for an American Pale Ale. I'm getting more malts here than in the nose, most specifically some sweet caramel notes.

M: Lighter bodied, with a less than desired carbonation, and a bit of a watery mouthfeel. This is where this beer really takes a hit.

D: Definitely a refreshing beer for the summer months, and I'm glad I got to try it during this beautiful Memorial Day weekend. (749 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured into CCB snifter.

Pours a small layer of fizzy beige head. Color is a hazed dull bronze copper.

Aroma: Very sweet ripe fruit. Some floral hops. Mangoes, tangerines present. Not to bad.

Taste: More creamy and malty than the aroma would suggest. Lots of hop resin here. Some grapefruit and mango flavors here. Not as good as the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Bitter with lots of hop resin going on. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a weedy, grassy aftertaste.

Overall, started out good and went downhill from there. Nothing I really want a lot of. However, it reminds me more of an ipa than an apa. Where are the pale malts? (650 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Solid inch of head from a hard pour, deep copper to weak coffee in color, head is thick and ever so slightly craggy, minor lacing - 3.75, S: Hopdinger's label runs through a mini-thesaurus of adjectives to describe the beer and the one they overlooked was herbal which is what I first pick up on the nose, some slight overripe pineapple, a touch of bubblegum with a hint of floral hops, quite grainy, mild nose overall - 3.25, T: Pine needles and grapefruit, slight caramel malt sweetness, quite dry, - 3.00, M: Medium mouth feel with a thin slickness - 3.50, T: A decent APA, edges a little toward the side of meek - 3.00 (625 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +16.6%

A-Copper color...a little clouded...small white head..

S-Fresh and hop forward...piney/floral hop aroma...it is nice...some light toffee like malt evident as well...I like the smell...smells very hoppy for an apa

T-Not quite as hop forward as the aroma suggests but that is not to say the hops are light as they still lead the way and shine brightly....a nice piney/floral hop flavor...malt still leans more toward a toffee note.

M-Dryish finish...medium to medium/light bodied..if anything a little thin but I have to keep reminding myself this is an APA, not an IPA as it is assertive enough with the hops to be the later....smooth texture..hops definitely bite a little on the finish..

D-A nice APA that gives you a nice dose of hops... (743 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

12oz. I noticed some sediment in the bottom of the bottle before opening, so I poured carefully to leave the sediment in the bottle, but hard enough to produce a nice pillowy white head atop a bright amber ale. I really wasn't expecting much from a brewery I'd never heard of, but the appearance and aroma sparked my interest. Sweet malt, citrus and floral hops filled my nose giving me a hint that this was a quality brew. Initial tastes were full in flavor with notes of pine and grapefruit with a solid bready malt backbone. Some herbal hops in the mix along with a nice bitter, slightly spicy or white pepper hop finish. Mouth-feel is medium bodied with nice hop resins coating the palate well. Overall impression is very good from me. Really enjoyed this ale - great representation of a bold American Pale Ale. (815 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +22.9%

Wow, O'So might be the best Wisconsin brewery nobody has heard of. I poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. It pours with what almost looks like a thick consistency. There's no head and some lacing and there's a nice copper coloring with just a hint of gold. This smells great! There's a sweet caramel scent here that makes the mouth water. And the taste, the taste matches the smell. For a beer called Hopdinger, the hops feel really buried here. It was a surprise, but a surprise that works real well. Combine that nice sweet taste with a creamy mouthfeel and you have something that I could drink 12 of. I wonder what the ABV is on this. I have a feeling that this could be a beer that sneaks up on you. Can't wait to buy another one. (739 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +31.8%

This is my first Hopdinger and my first O'SO Brewing Co. product. I think the beer is fantastic and would consider it for permanent stock in my fridge. Here's why:

I poured this bad boy into a pilsner-type glass I got from Goos Island...It immediately felt like it owned the glass. The color is a beautiful amber and after pouring had about an 3/4-1" head. Perfect! Although My senses are still getting used to reviewing beers, it smelled like a Quetico Province morning. Pine with other outdoors like smells. The smell did not last through the whole beer and was rather bland after the head left. As for mouthfeel, I am not sure what that even means. It felt nice, cool, and refreshing. The "drinkability" is amazing. No complaints here. As for TASTE...This beer is excellent. I am very satisfied. I only wish I had bought a 6-pack instead of mixing 5 other beers with this one. Good Job O'SO. I will be looking for your name more often!

I have to add one thing. I looked up diacetyl since everyone else was using the word. When I took a sip and held the beverage in my mouth and slowly let it drain down my throat I did notice a bit of a buttery taste...Good reviews guys!

Also, I just noticed that my bottle is different than the picture above. Probably a new label. (1,272 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -38.4%

Upon pouring, I get a half glass of amber colored beer and a half glass of thick, frothy white head. Seems a little charged up to me. Not a good sign. Sweet grainy smell with some baked bread and a little citrus. Not a good sign was right. This one is not on. Highly carbonated and not enjoyable at all. Flavor is bland and a little off. A little cardboard. Nothing "APA" like in it at all. I've had 3 O'sos so far. 2 very good. 1 very not good. (445 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +14.9%

(Served in a chalice)
A- This beer has a hazy deep orange body with a creamy beige head that pushes above the glass and leaves rings on the glass with each sip.
S- This beer has a soft aroma of green pine hops that grow a bit as it warms.
T- This beer has a full green hop flavor with a slight pine slight citrus character. There is a slight hop watery taste but it is still pleasant. There is a soft fresh pale malt underneath with some light spun sugar notes that grow as the beer warms. There is a nice balanced hop bitterness at the finish.
M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol heat. D- The malt supports the hops and both are fresh and vibrant. The hops grow nicely as the beer warms but a faint tartness in the finish grows a bit to much. (763 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -43.3%

Pours a dark orange/amber color with a large white head and nice lacing. Aroma is diacetyl city. Nothing but butterscotch and popcorn in the nose. Yuck. Taste isn't much better. I'm really getting nothing that tastes like a pale ale. No bitterness, no citric hops, barely any malt. This is really a bad beer. Do they not taste this stuff before it goes out? (357 characters)

Hopdinger from O'so Brewing Company & Tap House