Picnic Ants - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BoitSansSoif on 10-20-2008)

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

4.25/5  rDev +25%

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

I feel the need to preface this review by stating that I generally do not like the saison/farmhouse ale genre. That said, this is among the better ones I have had.

Poured into a sniffer, the ale was a cloudy straw colored yellow. The aroma brought to mind scents of belgian yeasts. After the mild aroma, the initial taste was a mildly sour lemon flavor accompanied by with notes of spiciness. The most apparent spice was a sense of pepperiness. The spice carried through to the aftertaste where the sourness of the lemon flavor matured in its bitterness.

Overall, the ale had a very full mouthfeel which coated the tongue nicely. The carbonation was present, but was not overwhelming and did not take away from the beer.

4.18/5  rDev +22.9%

This review is a re-review of this beer. My initial review is listed below. This bottle I cellared for 1 year below 45 degrees.

A - Crisp orange body with a moderate amount of rising carbonation. The head is white and starts out at about a 1/2 inch before receding to a thin layer just allowing the body of the brew to be visible.

S - The smell is fruity with a strong banana character. There's also a hint of sour cherries. The aromas here have become extremely inviting in the change since my previous review 10 months ago.

T - This has matured very well. It's slightly sour with a firm malty base. I imagine another few months or even another 1/2 year to a year and the sour would really begin to shine. This is a what I like to see in a Farmhouse Ale.

M - Mild abrasiveness and texture from the lips all the way through to the back of my throat. It's maintained its dry finish, which I certainly needs with it being that of a sipping style beer.

~ Let it sit and you will be rewarded. Don't open this beer before a year. You will find a great gift if you let the beer live for awhile before drinking it. I kept mine in a cardboard box in a refrigerator with the temp turned on as warm as possible for cellaring. The measured temp in the fridge is about 42.5 degrees F.

```
I completed the review below on 12/24/2010. The below resulted in a B for a score of 3.58.

A - Big bubbled white top of an inch and a half. Cloudy orange body that allows for light to get through but that's about it. (4)

S - Musty, slight citrus accent. (3)

T - Sweet apples and tart grapes mix together making for a tasty elixir. These are not flavors common to many beers. In this brew, O'so does a fine job of many them work. (3.5)

M - Soft and smooth with little abrasiveness to note. It has a slightly dry finish that makes for a nice sipper. (4)

~ This is a good beer. One I certainly recommend you pick up if you can find it. While it is a seasonal brew, I was able to find a few six packs remaining on the shelves at the brewery. (4)

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

I am not very experienced with Saison/Farmhouse Ales, so my opinion and review here is based on my previous experience with several Saison-style beers.

Kundstrache shared a bottle with me, so I'm glad he did. My previous experiences were with beers that was very, very sour. (At least to me!)

The taste was very good, and it wasn't overly sour to the point that it overwhelms my senses. There's enough tartiness to throw around, but it is pretty mellow compared to what I've tasted in the past. The mouthfeel really was pleasant, and you won't feel overwhelmed (or underwhelmed, I guess, for you sour ale lovers?) with the aftertaste at all.

Overall, I think this is at very least decent beer for Saison beer lovers, and pretty good one for the rest of us that don't normally want to drink this style.

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%

[Different label than the one currently shown, so perhaps O'so changed their QC standards as well? Bottle was also well-carbonated and had no noticeable rotten fruit aroma/flavors noted by previous reviewers.]

12oz bottle courtesy of Kundstrache, who left it behind at a recent tasting and declined my offer to return it to him, suggesting instead that I drink it. Consider it DONE :)

O'so's Picnic Ants pours with a murky, muddled golden-orange hue. The head, sandstone in color, hardly budges thanks to an effervescent, scattered upward stream of bubbles. Typical farmhouse nose is full of earthy must and breaded graininess. A big citrus profile from the hops stands out as well, suggesting lemon and orange zest, while a tinge of booze weaves in and out of the background.

The flavor is delightfully tart--was NOT expecting that--with notes of sour berry vine and green apple skin. Alcohol meshes well with the grain bill and ultimately masks its 8% behind the Farmhouse funk. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly despite a nearly full-body, crisp and dry with some sugary, tarty residuals on the finish. Overall, this beer surprised me. The tartness excuses the alcohol and allows Picnic Ants to be passed off as, well, a picnic beer for a hot summer day. Worth checking out...

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

A: cloudy deep yellow/orange hue, trace head, zero lacing

S: belgian yeast, floral, ripe fruits

T: big belgian yeast, earthy floral middle, spicy semi-dry finish

M: med/light body, low carbonation, little sticky mouth,
hint of dryness

O: This beer confused me. The aroma and taste
were great, but the carbonation really needed a boost.
I would get this again and recommend this to newbies,
but not a stellar Saison/Farmhouse Ale (one of
my favorite styles). Has potential to be amazing.
Could be a very nice summer beer.

PRETTY GOOD, NOT A MUST HAVE!

1.68/5  rDev -50.6%

This beer pours a cloudy dark orange color. The head is a quarter inch in height, and recedes within seconds into nothing. The aroma is of rotten fruit with hints of leather. I often find these aromas appealing in a Belgian style beer, but as they are presented in this beer I do not like them. The taste is a bomb of rotten oranges. Yuck. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very low carbonation for the style. Overall, this beer is truly bad. I will not be drinking this again.

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

A-Pours a slightly cloudy straw color with a decent white head that fades fairly quickly. When the head settles it leaves nothing, the beer appears flat.
S-Slight sour aroma with good spice, maybe a hint of coriander.
T-Slightly sour but good flavors typical of a saison. Warm spice flavors with a slight sweetness.
M-Light, fairly low carbonation.
Overall, this is a very good, easy to drink warm weather beer just not all that great for the style. Really quite under carbonated. I do like the flavors and again, good for the warm weather months.

Picnic Ants from O'so Brewing Company & Tap House