Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Lupulin Maximus Imperial IPA - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

Lupulin Maximus Imperial IPA
No picture.

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: cdkrenz on 11-24-2008

This brew is 9% and may contain a hop cone in every bottle (2009 & 2010 vintages) ! We want to make sure to repeat this reminder that we put a hop cone in the bottle. Always pour into a glass to release the essence from the bottle.

2008 Edition: 22-oz bottle
2009 Edition: 12-oz bottles w/hop cone in bottle
2010 - 2013 Editions: 12-oz bottles w/Hop Warning label
4.97/5  rDev +27.8%

Review #50... I just happened to pull this one out of the fridge (Thank you hopscrazy)...

A- Poured into a tulip glass... beautiful blonde foamy head sits atop an orange/yellow brew... wait a minute... somethings floating in my glass! A whole hop cone! Now that's presentation!!!

S- Smells like I just peeled a grapefruit! Tons of fresh citrus flow. Amazing blend of pine, fruit, and a hint, just a hint of sweet malt. Lemon zest and fresh squeezed orange juice! I have never had a IIPA this amazing on the nose! It KILLS Pliny!

T- OMG... this is it! All others can go home and work on their game! The freshness of the citrus, the bitter pine... that hidden malt backbone that brings it all together... Damn!!! I have never had an IPA that had it's shit together like this one does! Not Surly, RR, Troegs, Ithaca, or Southern Tier... This is unreal, and absolutely fabulous! I wonder if it's having the hop cone in the bottle for that long? Awesome idea indeed!

M- Bitter like an Ex... yet loving and caring like your new girl! This is without a doubt an unforgetable beer! One of those life changing beers for me...

O- It's almost perfect! Awesome all the way around! I'm pretty sure this is what Zeus drinks in the summer!!! This brew will make you forget all about Pliny... Move over PtE... Look out PtY... there just might be a new sheriff in town! (1,361 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +24.2%

A - poured a beautiful deep amber with a slight amount of head.. and a full hop cone dropped out of the bottle. HOLY FUCK.

S - floral hop smell, lots of sweetness (honey, caramel) .. this smells like no beer i've ever smelled before - but more like a candy

T - pure sweetness. sugary, fruity and bready. bananas, caramel, toffee. a bit of a butterscotch taste. a bit of a rubbery bitterness to even out the sweetness, makes this perfect.

M - very heavy beer - smooth flowing but a bit creamy as well. sweet on the palate, bitter aftertaste.

O - i have NEVER had an IPA this delicious. received it in a trade with a friend as a random throw-in. if this is a run of the mill beer for wisconsin, then i have a LOT to learn and a lot of beers to acquire. (754 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional IIPA - was surprised with the whole hop cone even after reading the disclaimer. I've had this on tap and growlers before and loved this beer! I think the hop come is a funky marketing scheme but I like it if it's consumed fresh! Love O'so!!! (256 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

Lupulin Maximus Imperial IPA pours a dark copper color with a nice small lacing head, and the best part a whole hop cone floating in the top. Very hoppy floral aroma. The taste is very bold and strong hoppy flavors. Good full flavor, could use just a hint more carbonation. Overall a fantastic IPA, love the hop in each bottle. (327 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +19%

12 ounce bottle poured into a standard duvel tulip glass. temp about 55F.

terms:
A=appearance
B=bouquet
T=taste
F=finish
O=opinion

A- pours nicely with good but small head. there's those hop cones- two of 'em. brussels lacing, quite nice.

B- soft hop and malt. very nice balance, nothing too over the top one way or another.

T- great balance between bitter and sweet; full body lets you know this is a strong beer. one of the finest balanced beers out there at this time, considering it's 9% ABV.

F- malt gives way to hops. not harsh however; reminds me a bit of popering's hommel ale from belgium, but bigger.

O- this is a really fine beer. o'so has found it's voice in this ale. (686 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +16.2%

Mmmm...O'so. A brewery I didn't even know about until a year ago has really impressed me with a solid lineup and a few exceptional beers. I think this one may be my favorite of theirs.

Poured the bottled directly into a pint glass. It's got a nice reddish color with a bit of haze swirling around. I think that may be residue from the hop cone.

A fruity smell rises and hangs around.

This beer is sweet and malty. There is good head retention while not having a lot of carbonation in the beer itself. It's pretty easy to imagine what this beer would be like on cask. I wonder if O'so has ever done casks of this. It would be great.

The drinkability of this beer is high. Easy going down, great taste, pleasant aftertaste, and an inconspicuous 9% ABV. This beer has some great qualities while not being an "extreme" beer in any way.

Everyone else has noted the inclusion of a whole hop cone in the bottle. My hop palate isn't fine tuned enough to know what the hop flower has added to the beer. I'd like to try the bottle side-by-side with a draft version to see if there's a notable difference. (1,102 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured in a New Glarus pint glass

A) cloudy, hazy, orange, amberish, color with a white two finger head that leaves a good amount of lace. Can't see through the beer and not a lot of light passes either. Low amount of nuculation

S) Very aromic, dank, pine, grapefruit, mango, orange, caramel, malt, sweet

T) Sweet candy, pine, citra, caramel malt, bread, lots of flavor and very sweet, Juicy

M) Low carbonation, coats the mouth with sweet nectar a tad syrupy too

O) A pretty damn good DIPA, pure Wisconsin in a bottle. Almost drank the entire four pack in one night. Cheers! (580 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Dark looking murky auburn body. Deeper color than most DIPAs. Thick and creamy nicotine stained head with a hop cone floating around in it. Nicely done. Big, fresh bouquet of hop flowers and bitter hop resin. First sip brings waves of flavor. From the onset, you can tell this is high quality. Full body and lightly carbonated. Balanced very nicely for a DIPA. This one borders on Barleywine territory and that is high praise in this instance. It's very easy drinking and full of flavor. Caramel malt base with a nice reserved piney and slightly citric hop presence. The bitterness is quite refined. This is a good one. Seek it. (628 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +14.7%

Pow, right in the kisser! This is a very intense brew. They call it a Imperial IPA, but the high alc. and hop content (16 pounds for 156 gallons) makes this taste almost like a barley wine, or, more aptly, a hop wine. The mouth feels satiny like an imperial stout, and the head is strong and sticky and lasts all day long. Tastes of alc., anise, cilontro, and all the fruityness and bitternes of hops across your pallet. I drank the big bottle on an empty stomach. Whoa. (470 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

Got the last two four packs at JR liquor in Stevens Point tonight. I have been reading about this beer and needed to try it. The color is a dark amber with hop cone in it. The hop cone is a nice touch and was even small enough to emerge from the bottle into the glass. Nice. There was a three finger head that slowly receeded to a cap on the beer. Lots of lacing as well.

The smell was good, very descriptive of the taste which was very good. A little sweet but not as syrupy as some DIPAs. I liked that. The mouthfeel was great with a little alcohol burn. I the drinkability was also good, however, I feel like this could get me hammered! All in all a great beer. (666 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a HUGE, dense, frothy off-white head oozing in hop resin that has insane persistence and clings desperately to my glass. A WHOLE HOP CONE IS IN MY GLASS! Nice, resiny hop aroma blends with the sweet malt to make for a candied citrus rind aroma (but not that sweet). Straw and a slight burnt sienna color. Starts off bitter and bright with HUGE notes of hop resin. As the bitterness builds, it becomes dry and notes of grapefruit and citrus rind. The bitterness lingers and lingers. This almost tastes sticky it is so resiny.

Overall, I like this. It's very hop-resiny, which I don't typically like, but this works pretty well.
If you like your hops RESINY and sappy, then this is for you!

EDIT: I wanted to updated this review because this really has become my go-to hoppy drink. Fresh, it's wonderfully aromatic and slightly overly bitter, but if I let it sit for a few weeks or months, it subdues things to an absolutely wonderful, beautiful place.
Overall, I just really, really like this one. (1,005 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Consumed on January 23rd, 2013 in a standard pint glass.

Beer pours a fairly clear deep honey color. That is, until I turn the bottle upside down at the end of the pour. I was trying to get every drop out of the bottle, but the whole hop cone in the bottle neck was partially obstructing the pour. Resulted in a somewhat cloudy beer. Head is off-white and two fingers tall, subsiding very slowly and leaving a sticky, nearly-uniform sheet of foam on the sides of the glass.

Aroma is... (wait for it)... hoppy! Mainly minty with herbal and fruity (mango, peach, pear) notes.

Sweeter than expected and not as bitter as I would have thought. The taste up front is sweet and indistinct malt. The midtaste is essentially the aroma, dominated by an oily, minty note. The finish is a long, lingering, oily mint note with only a touch of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick, oily (are you getting the idea yet?) and enhanced by creamy carbonation.

This is one hop bomb I can wholeheartedly recommend! (1,002 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +12.9%

A: Herr herr herr, may contain hop cones? Mine had two, which I could not avoid pouring into the glass. Unfiltered light-colored and slightly cloudy with minimal head and lacing.

S: Instantaneous huge fresh hop smell when I opened the bottle. Citrus and spice.

T: I am a fan of this kind of IPA that does balances a serious hop bill by pulling no punches on the grain bill. Very big sweet and bready malt flavors alongside a nice hop bitterness and citrus, pine, and spicey hop flavors. A very well-balanced beer that I would compare with DFH 90 minute IPA, although with slightly less sweet and earthy malt characteristics. Extremely praiseworthy and definitely the best part of the beer.

M: Definitely way undercarbed. Thin. A little disappointing.

Cute gimmick, and I'm glad I bought the bottle because the flavor was fantastic, though it came up lacking in a few other ways. Regardless I would buy and drink again. (922 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Gorgeous light brown with 1.5 fingers worth of thick, golden head that never settled and left monstrous curtains of lace down the glass.

S - Citrus and Pine hop notes are predominant, but a nice malt subtlety and some sort of almost raisin smell that I can't quite pick out. This is basically what Christmas SHOULD smell like.

T - Fairly dry, and extremely hoppy. Not much to say beyond that. Nice warmth from the hops and alcohol upfront with a nice malty backbone, and a serious bitter bite and dry finish on the way down. Love it.

M - Feels like an IPA. Not cloying, not too dry, just nice carbonated deliciousness.

O - Excellent IPA. It's no Pliny the Elder or anything, but I love it and will definitely choose it over most other IPA options at my local beer store.

The biggest downside is the hop in the bottle. I think it's a clever idea and guarantees a serious dry-hop flavor to the beer, but it's obnoxious to pour and I keep getting bits of hops in my teeth as I drink. (994 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +12.3%

Holy Crap! This beer has the best warning label of all time!

...and they are not kidding...this beer pours through a hop cone. Check the top of your beer for a little leaf making its way though into your beer.

That all being settled, Lupulin Maximus is a IIPA with a hand-packed hop cone in each bottle. Probably around 9% ABV, it pours a golden brown with hops and sweetness on the nose. ...and, it's really good. Slightly citrus in its hop flavor, it kind of reminds me of a sweetened, 9% furious. It's not that sticky, piny hop, west coast, big IPA flavor. This beer might not be good at all in 3 weeks. Go and get it now. Delish.

BTW, I've had one since I wrote this review and it has fallen off quickly. Shoulda had it fresh, I guess. (743 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

(See update, below.) From a bottle into a tulip glass, it pours a hazy amber, w/ a thin white head.

A reserved aroma. Sweet and grainy, rye bread, molasses. Pine needles, nuts, black pepper, and leather, all overlaying the sweetness. Plus some citrus--lime, actually.

Sweet and bready up front. Some will call this cloying; I love it. It's an adamant sweetness that tugs against the grassy hops all the way through this long, complex ride through flavor land. Brown sugar and biscuit, absolutely, plus some diacetyl that makes for a butterscotch candy delight. Wood and grass shake hands with the sweet notes and introduce the hop bitterness. The sweetness becomes tropical fruit in the presence of the hops, mango, I'd say. Finishes dry and salty, a long finish of simple syrup and oak aging mellowness. The alcohol says hello before it's done. And, yet, there's something not quite great about this flavor. Too busy, perhaps? Still, totally impressive.

Wonderful in the mouth, viscous, syrupy, creamy, despite the moderate, cleansing carbonation. Mouthfeel is the raison d'etre, here.

Massively complex. So many star turns for the various profiles. Will definitely divide audiences due to its uncompromising flavors.
----------
UPDATE: 11/9/2014
After 11 months in the cellar, it's significantly degraded and oxydized. The color definitely shows the damage. The aroma even more than the color.

However, it's still remarkably delish. Wife loves it. The oxidation actually enhances it's flavor profile. IIt reminds me of a sauterne, or of an over-the-hill, oakey chardonnay. The mouthfeel is still totally awesome.

I'm thinking, though, that it's only got a few more months in it. I better drink the other seven bottles in my cellar.

NOTE: Gotta drink the other bottles in your cellar before they degrade too far. (1,825 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Really enjoyed this one based on a recommendation from a friend. All of the other reviews are spot-on.

a) cloudy with minimal light coming through

s) wonderful smell -

t) sweet at the onset and a bit bitter/heavier towards the end

m) went in smooth over the palate and seemed to get more robust as it headed towards my gullet

o) loved it - with my stash of Hopslam long gone and no nearby availability of Myrcenary, this is a diamond in the rough. (453 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +11.6%

A-Orange colored

S-Very unique...almost like a pinneaple upside down cake...I get a lot of tropical fruits and a white cake batter element....mix em together and I get the pinneaple upside down cake..very fruity aroma with papaya, and pinneaple most prominent..outstanding

T-Very flavorful use of hops...next to zero bitterness at first...just a lot of juicy fruit flavors...then on the finish a nice dose of drying bitterness invades....

M-A little thin for a DIPA but it has a muddied feel like a DIPA....medium bodied and too light bodied for the style

D-Wow. I know my Wisconsin beers but this brewery is new to me. I like what I am tasting so far. Will have to investigate further. This is not an all-time great but it is very good and definitely one I would buy again. (778 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Wow, each time I have this one it seems to grow on me more. The hop cone in the bottle seems to add a fresh dry hopped flavor that has depth (green and herbal notes) and does not linger bitter. This beer is well balanced in my opinion. Very smooth and drinkable. Yeah it may be a bit sweet for a true hop- head but it doesn't get cloying for me . I hope I can get more of this from Wisconsin. It is not sold in Michigan. Thanks to my hunting buddy from Wisconsin for trading with me and putting this in the box. (518 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +10%

Pours out of a 12 oz. bottle with whole hop cone inside a deep dark orange body with a dense cap of creamy tan foam that is sticky as hell and clings in globs to the glass.

Juicy and citrusy hop nose with a touch of pineapple, alcohol and malt sweetness behind. Very fresh hop like scent.

A balanced attack of hops and sweet malt with notes of honey, agave and caramel. The hops deliver a moderate bitterness with tropical and citrus fruits, some pine and earthiness also. Warm alcohol rears its head mildly at the end.

Full body, lower carbonation that is very soft. Alcohol warmness trickles down the chest cavity following consumption. Sticky/resiny feel on the palate.

Really digging this beer. A really great take on a DIPA. This is one that I will certainly grab again.

EDIT: Had a second bottle from the same four pack and it was noticeably less hoppy and the malt was a bit of a muddled mess. Nothing like the one that I reviewed above. (950 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +9.8%

A - My pour came to a screeching halt and then a trickle out of the bottle. What the....the scene from Strange Brew where they claim they find a mouse in the bottle comes to mind. It ended up being a whole hop cone...nice surprise. Hazy reddish copper with a smaller head due to the hop cone restriction. Sticky lacing forms down the side of the glass.

S - Caramel, toffee and fresh baked bread followed by tropical fruits, juicyfruit gum, cantaloupe and hints of pine as it warms.

T - Resiny and juicy hops that slowly burst into tropical fruits, mango, papaya and cantaloupe that lead to lingering bready and toffee flavors. Some pine as it warms.

M - Soft mouthfeel that has almost a whipped feeling on the tongue. Medium carbonation with a lingering dry, resiny finish.

D - Much better than the other O'so offerings I tried. Nice to see them turning things around. The 9% abv is barely noticeable. (905 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into an Imperial pint glass.

A - Tall and tight off-white head holds beautifully. The pour goes right through a whole cone hop in the neck of the bottle resulting in a hazy amber beer. Tons of sticky lacing all the way down.

S - Splendid wet feel to these hops. I get nice citrus and pine but an underlying flower like bouquet. Toasty malts also sit in the background.

T - Malt plays an important role in this beer. It comes across as very toasty with a dry feel to it. The malt carries through nearly the entirety of the flavor. Hops show up early and are citrusy here as well. The flavor finished up with a melon/pine hop note and some spicy alcohol. The bitterness is present throughout the whole flavor and although it finishes with a strong bitterness it never becomes overly sharp.

M - Semi-dry, medium to medium-full bodied, medium carbonation.

O - Excellent looking beer and also a cool perk having a hop cone in the bottle. Great freshness to the beer. Balanced yet hop forward and spread out bitterness instead of all at the backend. (1,068 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: cloudy rust orange, finger khaki head,
awesome lacing!

S: huge lemon zest/peel, grapefruit, pine, hint of grassy
sweet candy malt

T: lemon peel, candy sweet malt, long oily bitter
fresh pine finish

M: heavy/med mouth, big oily/sticky feel

O: WOW! Truly a hop lovers dream, they
even throw in a whole cone hop to the bottle.
O'so is underrated and this is a mighty
triumph for the brewery.

DELICIOUS; MUST HAVE FOR HOP HEADS! (434 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a hazy caramel brown with a touch of golden orange…a thin layer of off white head did form and remains…could be more…(3.5/5)

Smell: Tons of bitterness…strong dank, woodsy, piney hops aroma…this thing is very much a hops driven wagon…caramel malt balance out things a bit with some nice sweetness and borderline creaminess…a very strong, almost intoxicating hops explosion…(4.25/5)

Taste: Whoa, this is heavy handed with hops! Tons of fresh woodsy/dank/earthy hops up front…it’s not overly bitter, just strong (and powerful) with hops flavor…bitterness does come in after I swallow, but again, not as strong as I would expect with all this hops flavor…there is a noticeable sweet caramel presence that rounds out the overall flavor and sweetens this runaway hops freight train…robust, rich, mildly creamy and flavorful…Yum! (4.25/5)

Moutfeel: Medium to full body with tons of carbonation…fluffs up bringing woodsy/dank hops flavor and slight bitterness to the palate…it’s got a bite to it that touches the outside of my tongue and a heavy hops feel on the back of my tongue…chewy, mildly creamy and somewhat smooth for such a strong brew…(4.25/5)

Overall: This is a wonderful brew…I’ve been delving deep into the imperial india pale ales lately and this one is stands out in strength and flavor categories…it doesn’t rely on any of the citrus or floral fluff to stand on, it’s straight up robust earthy/dank hops hitting the palate…a true palate wrecker…one thing I loved about this beer is that there was a hop cone in the bottle! I’ve never seen that done before…it was floating at the top of the bottle when I bought it, a sign of freshness I presume…I have to admit, I was excited to try this brew and it hasn’t disappointed…if I see this again, I will definitely buy it again…(4.5/5)

Brewreport.blogspot.com (1,898 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours out an coppery amber with minimal haziness, mild lacing and a single finger of short lived head... and of course a floating hop flower, the gimmick of this brew. Actually, it *is* kind of fun to pull out the hop flower and suck the delicious essence out of it like some kind of demented beer vampire....but I digress.
Has an excellent blend of spicy, earthy, herbal, grassy, pine, and tropical fruit in just about the same proportion both in the scent and in the flavor, but maintains a large hefty caramel and toffee malt presence to counterbalance. This brew is one of the sweetest IPAs I've ever had that still manages to feel balanced against the bittering included within. (I've had sweeter IPAs but they weren't what I would consider "well balanced") Body is on the hefty side of medium which does well to support the bold flavors, only has a small amount of rising alcohol heat towards the finish... overall this is quite a lovely IPA. (948 characters)

Lupulin Maximus Imperial IPA from O'so Brewing Company & Tap House