Dank Imperial Red - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

Dank Imperial RedDank Imperial Red

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kickapoodude on 12-18-2008)
allouez86

11-16-2011 21:00:17 | More by allouez86
Mismanagement

05-03-2014 01:09:37 | More by Mismanagement
LLL_MKE

02-11-2014 22:34:45 | More by LLL_MKE
wmjones9

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

For a red, this is fantastic. Great head, color, smoothan refreshing. Got a four pack , as a present. Didn't know what to expect, but it was great. Love it. Would buy this , in a minute, if it was available in Michigan. I'll guess I'll have to wait for the next trip to Wisconsin.

12-26-2011 04:10:43 | More by wmjones9
HarryHood

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

05-20-2014 03:02:18 | More by HarryHood
BudzandSudz

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

A- Served in an imperial snifter at the O'So brewery taproom. a nice dark red (appeared to be brown in the dark taproom until I held it to the light) with 2 fingers of creamy tan head.

S - Smells like an imperial red ale, which is good. light notes of vanilla from the oak, and a surprising sweetness of dark fruits and brandy. A conversation with the brewmaster revealed that this is aged in brandy barrels and not bourbon barrels as another reviewer here said.

T - Perfect. It would be cloyingly sweet if it wasn't for the >9.0% ABV, and it would be uncomfortably dry if it wasn't from the sweetness of brandy and roasted malts in the grain bill. Balanced nicely together with a great deal of complexity from the underlying subtle hops and oak characters. I wasn't prepared for how good this would be and it really took me aback.

M - Good. By the end of my glass the sweetness had caught up a bit so I had to give this a 4 instead of a 5, but the carbonation level was very nice and I could definitely drink this again without any hesitation. Just don't try to session this badboy.

O - Exceptional beer. It was good enough that I bought a 4-pack for $12 (which I normally would never even consider) and packed it in my suitcase to fly back to Colorado.

11-25-2012 21:29:33 | More by BudzandSudz
Icarus70

07-24-2013 16:48:02 | More by Icarus70
1FatJ

09-11-2013 23:10:33 | More by 1FatJ
kickapoodude

Alaska

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Printed on the back of the bottle: "It's time to unveil some of the things we've learned over the past year. This brilliant mahogany imperial red is a meduim bodied ale, rich in caramel sand vanilla notes brought on by aging in wood during conditioning with just enough alcohol to keep you cozy this winter. It's fitting that the first beer ever brewered at Os'o was a red ale given away to our faithful folowers who believed in us. Thanks for sticking with us through the good and bad beers. This one's a preview of many good things to come. Please ewnjoy the future!"

That about says it all. It pours like thier regular red ale, but the head it about three fingers and it lasts for days. The mouth feel is smooth and impressive. The use of oak chips is obvious because of the vanilla and caramel tones mixed in with subtle cherry and smokyness. Very drinkable, and the 1 pint, 6 oz. bottle will get you whgere you need to go at 9 %. This brew shows how far O'so has come, and where thier imagination can take them.

12-18-2008 15:29:03 | More by kickapoodude

Fitzmke

03-12-2012 05:18:14 | More by Fitzmke
mfnmbvp

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Assuming it is fairly on the fresh side. My second beer from O'so Brewing Company, and I was impressed by their O'so Lupulin Maximus Imperial IPA.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a beautiful dark ruby red color with about a finger of creamy khaki head. Thin ring of wispy lacing.

S - Light, fruity mango / papaya hop smell paired with some nice roasty malt qualities. Has almost a bit of barrel aged sweetness creeping out of it also. Smells surprisingly nice.

T - Smooth creamy vanilla / oak presence carries the beer into your throat, and leaves you with a nice bitter hoppy aftertaste amidst the roasted malt profile. This beer is perfectly balanced. Bit of warming alcohol presence.

M - Feel is slightly dry, with some hop resins. Highly palatable, for damn sure.

Overall, a beer well worth trying. Barrel aged beers are definitely my thing, and the fact that this 'imperial red' doesn't even advertise itself as such, just added to my surprise and enjoyment of this beer! Cozy, warming 9.20% abv, although highly drinkable. Definitely a beer I am interested in revisiting! So far, good things from O'so Brewing Company. Looking forward to more.

O'so Dank Imperial Red ---4.5/5

04-04-2013 03:01:04 | More by mfnmbvp
Thickfreakness

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

Got from my man hopscrazy! Thanks Brian!

A- Murky red brick color, nice 3 finger copper head that leaves sticky goodness all around the glass.

S- Caramel, hints of citrus, pine, tropical fruit and spices... Not as big on the hops as I expected, but really nice.

T- Nice hop bite... citrus gets hidden a little bit by the sweet malts! Lemon, orange peel, toffee, caramel and burnt sugar.

M- AWESOME!!! Really coats the tongue with sweetness... than bitter hops and citrus, before balancing out perfectly between the both! Like eating a Clementine dipped in Caramel!!!

O- An absolutely amazing brew! Citrus, sweetness, just a touch of alcohol on the finish! I can't wait to try all of the other O'so brews that hopscrazy was nice enough to send.

04-07-2011 20:59:16 | More by Thickfreakness
UncleRandy

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a dark mahogany, with a thick head. Smells of brown sugar and raisins.

Tastes of maple syrup and vanilla. Alcohol is present, but not overwhelming.

I had not heard of this brewery prior to this pour, but I will be back. Very easy to drink considering the high alcohol content. I strongly recommend this beer. Nice job, O'so! One of the better beers I've had in a while.

02-27-2009 22:57:06 | More by UncleRandy
cdkrenz

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

12 ounce bottle cellared at 42.5 degrees F for 2 years.

A - A ripe red that's beautiful my friends. The head is minimal, which is in part due to my slow paced pour in an attempt to not disturb the sediment bed... I was unsuccessful.

S - The sweet smell of malt fills the air with my pour. It has a slightly pungent aroma to it consisting of alcohol, dates and bubble gum. The citrus and pine hops are long gone.

T - Slight roastiness to it with a very accentuated finish of almost too much roast causing an almost burnt flavor. The combination of dates, molasses and what seems to be a kind of whiskey flavor makes for a very complex flavor array. I have to say based on the complexity I think this beer has gotten slightly better in the two years. I rated it a 4 two years ago and today I rate it a 4.5.

M - The feel is moderately coarse throughout each pull making for a steady texture. The turbulance in the look of the beer is obvious once the feel comes through. For the beer being a medium to heavy body the high carbonation presence is really welcomed nicely. I too think this has gone up a notch, however my prior review was from a growler so it is likely the growler would have lost a bit of carbonation with time.

~ This is a fine brew and one I consistently look for on the shelves in Central Wisconsin. If you have not tried this beer you are missing out. Go out, find a four pack, drink three and cellar one for two years. Then write down your thoughts. And have I mentioned the 'head' on this thing. Very, very nice.
~~~
The below review was cast on 1/7/2010. The sampling took place from a growler.

A - Solid, thick, rich, foamy, medium to light tan colored head. Medium to dark brownish red colored body. (4)

S - It has a rich combination of citrusy and piney hops in the aroma. (4.5)

T - Sweet, mildly hoppy with rich and thick malt flavor. There's an alcohol presence but it doesn't overwhelm the brew. (4)

M - Sticky, thick and smooth. (3.5)

~ This is a good beer with some strong character. Its great to see this Stevens Point area brewery pushing limits. Good for you O'so... and great for Central Wisconsin. (4.5)

01-13-2012 01:49:25 | More by cdkrenz
robthepenguin

04-23-2013 06:30:45 | More by robthepenguin
Rand_ale_Thor

01-31-2013 17:26:36 | More by Rand_ale_Thor
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

I had this on tap at O'so on 07/06/12. I feel the need to preface this review my stating that I normally do not like Red Ales, but I certainly enjoyed this one.

The ale radiated a faint malty aroma with a half inch head. The color was a darker red than I might expect, but this is an imperial red. The first impression was a silky smooth mild hoppiness with a malt backbone. The creamy nature of this mouthfeel makes this ale a little more remarkable. Citrus notes appear, though I would limit it to a mild grapefruit. The creamy nature of the mouthfeel gives the hint of lactose sugar. In the aftertaste, milky citrus notes continue, creating a pleasant finish.

07-12-2012 16:23:49 | More by JohnnyHopps
BrownAleMale

02-05-2013 07:27:55 | More by BrownAleMale
WJVII

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a pint glass this brew has almost a iced tea color with browns and purples, semi transparent. There was a 1 finger off white head that dissipated into nothing, but left nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is sweet with vanilla and has some hints of grassy hop and mild clove. The taste is thin and very smooth, with little to no carbonation. There is a nice vanilla after taste and a good roasted chocolate feeling in the back of my throat. I have been very critical of Oso's based on the few brews I have tired (for the price of them as well) but this is a very good beer. May bring me back to trying more of their selection. Thanks to my BA bud CdKrenz for this sampling.

02-20-2010 02:55:34 | More by WJVII
billyzoom666

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. This pours a nice light red color with some sediment quickly dropping to the bottom. The smell draws me in, candied malts, perhaps. Super bold taste on this! Hoppy upfront, reminds me of an IPA almost. At the same time, there's no bitterness, despite a bit of an alcohol feel on the back end. Drinkability on this is pretty high, which could cause trouble if you get four or five. My first O'So beer. I'm hoping this is the little brewery that can!

01-02-2010 04:28:36 | More by billyzoom666
emerge077

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Deep brown, murky with some lighter golden edges. Spotty lacing, but the foam faded quickly. Slightly hazed with micro sediment.

Rich and complex aroma, malt driven with maple syrup, molasses, vanilla, toasted marshmallow, and an almost barrel-derived woodiness. Gingersnap cookies, some citrus and tropical notes from the hops present. Somewhat sweet.

Intensely malty, rich and complex like a barleywine, moderately hoppy with some trace alcohol. Full bodied, with low carbonation, a sweet nectar. Spicy pine from the hops, fruity melon notes, some trace maple sweetness, and a dry hoppy aftertaste. A nice after dinner sipper, with plenty of complexity to keep things interesting.

05-04-2011 03:35:04 | More by emerge077
Tone

Missouri

4.11/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a clear, copper color. 5/4 inch head of a beige color. Great retention and good lacing. Smells of strong alcohol, yeast, strong sweet malt, strong hops, and hint of citrus. Fits the style of an American Amber / Red Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is a noticeable bitterness from the hops, and slight sharpness from the alcohol concentration. Tastes of sweet malt, hint of smoke, yeast, strong hops, alcohol, hint of citrus, and a hint of biscuit. Overall, a good strong amber ale, almost to the point of a Barleywine. Good appearance, aroma, body, blend, and complexity. My only complaint would be that I wished the feel was not so sharp.

06-26-2014 14:21:07 | More by Tone
nickapalooza86

4.11/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours about the darkest amber it could to still be considered amber, very cloudy with a quarter of finger of head that escaped while I was typing this sentence.

Smell is caramel, oak, toffee, earthy and citrusy hops and a wee bit of dark fruits (plum and raisons)

Taste is sharp bitter citrus hops at the front, toffee, vanilla, oak, earthy and finishes with a piney bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium full and coating with fine carbonation.

A good beer here that if for sure, but I do not really know what it is trying to be.... Barleywine? Old Ale? Wile Ale? Imerial red.... No it is certainly not that.... But whatever it is, it is damn good!

04-06-2013 03:51:20 | More by nickapalooza86