Dank Imperial Red - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

Dank Imperial RedDank Imperial Red

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kickapoodude on 12-18-2008)
knepper

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

Look: pours dark amber/brown-to red with an off white that really struggles to come to life to due very carbonation levels. Cloudy.

Smell: Big time caramel, musty basement, citrus, alcohol

Taste: The beer is a bit lacking in carbonation so I feel that a lot of the hop flavor and malt complexity are being muted. The hops are primarily citrus and relatively soft; I was expecting pungent and pine. The malt plays a complimentary roll to the hop flavor. For such a big beer, the malt is surprisingly toned down. A little of caramel, toffee, and biscuit come out; a bit vanilla peaks out once it warms up a bit - a nice touch.

Overall, I expected a bit more from the hops, flavor and bittering wise. A bit more IBUs would give it a nice backbone. A solid beer; it reminds me of an English Barleywine with more hop flavor.

02-22-2012 00:08:31 | More by knepper
cdkrenz

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

12 ounce bottle cellared at 42.5 degrees F for 2 years.

A - A ripe red that's beautiful my friends. The head is minimal, which is in part due to my slow paced pour in an attempt to not disturb the sediment bed... I was unsuccessful.

S - The sweet smell of malt fills the air with my pour. It has a slightly pungent aroma to it consisting of alcohol, dates and bubble gum. The citrus and pine hops are long gone.

T - Slight roastiness to it with a very accentuated finish of almost too much roast causing an almost burnt flavor. The combination of dates, molasses and what seems to be a kind of whiskey flavor makes for a very complex flavor array. I have to say based on the complexity I think this beer has gotten slightly better in the two years. I rated it a 4 two years ago and today I rate it a 4.5.

M - The feel is moderately coarse throughout each pull making for a steady texture. The turbulance in the look of the beer is obvious once the feel comes through. For the beer being a medium to heavy body the high carbonation presence is really welcomed nicely. I too think this has gone up a notch, however my prior review was from a growler so it is likely the growler would have lost a bit of carbonation with time.

~ This is a fine brew and one I consistently look for on the shelves in Central Wisconsin. If you have not tried this beer you are missing out. Go out, find a four pack, drink three and cellar one for two years. Then write down your thoughts. And have I mentioned the 'head' on this thing. Very, very nice.
~~~
The below review was cast on 1/7/2010. The sampling took place from a growler.

A - Solid, thick, rich, foamy, medium to light tan colored head. Medium to dark brownish red colored body. (4)

S - It has a rich combination of citrusy and piney hops in the aroma. (4.5)

T - Sweet, mildly hoppy with rich and thick malt flavor. There's an alcohol presence but it doesn't overwhelm the brew. (4)

M - Sticky, thick and smooth. (3.5)

~ This is a good beer with some strong character. Its great to see this Stevens Point area brewery pushing limits. Good for you O'so... and great for Central Wisconsin. (4.5)

01-13-2012 01:49:25 | More by cdkrenz
Grebdioz

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

12-29-2011 11:19:30 | More by Grebdioz
tmarq9

12-27-2011 20:25:24 | More by tmarq9
wmjones9

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

For a red, this is fantastic. Great head, color, smoothan refreshing. Got a four pack , as a present. Didn't know what to expect, but it was great. Love it. Would buy this , in a minute, if it was available in Michigan. I'll guess I'll have to wait for the next trip to Wisconsin.

12-26-2011 04:10:43 | More by wmjones9

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

11-15-2011 03:38:41 | More by bpfrush
mcallister

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

Great looking pour and beer. Deep reddish burgundy, unfiltered and opaque with a wonderful cascading head that quickly turns into a half inch of thick almost yellow gooey bubbly, viscous head with great lace and retention.

Sweet bready malts at the forefront are followed by citrus fruits and tropical notes. Candied apricots, some light roasty malts, red currant, orange, burnt sugars, and more nice nose.

Carbonation seems a little light and it fits the style well. However I received this bottle in trade and possibly it's older and is turning toward barley wine? Regardless it's tasty. Orange preserves, red currant, cranberry, burnt sugar, some brown sugar, molasses, sweet on the medium finish but not cloying. Some caramel malts and bready sweet malts in the middle and finish. Like this but could use a bit more carbonation.

06-12-2011 21:44:59 | More by mcallister
WastingFreetime

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

AGED REVIEW
12month old 12oz bottle aged at basement temperatures.

A. Red Mahogany-brown with hardly any head at all. Not surprising on the head given the beer's been aged somewhat. This has also produced some floaters, but that is only to be expected. Perhaps a shade darker than usual?

STM. The hops are still there! And they've held up rather nicely, although I suspect in muted versions of their former glory. Whiskey and wood are still present.
The Malts are as thick and biscuity as ever, in fact amplified over fresh. There is a lot of different malt flavors, some of them bready and others funky. In fact the malt flavors are reminiscent of more of a Scotch Ale profile than an Imperial Red, although I understand that the dividing line is rather blurry sometimes.

Verdict: I like it a lot, enough in fact that now I am going to be seeking out an entire case to stow away in the old cellar for a while and do the periodical aging trial routine. I'll add more to this review in time as I conduct the cellaring study.

Addendum:
19 month old bottle aged at basement temp:

Pretty much the same as the 12 month old bottle reviewed above but with more subdued foam and about 10% milder on the woodey tannins, and a gain of some tobacco and leather sub-flavors that may even grow further with more aging. The finish still has a distinctive yet gentle rye-whiskey sort of coconut fade-out that I like a lot. Unfortunately, the texture is getting a bit syrupy with time as the carbonation fades out; but the flavors continue to diversify. The hops that remain seem to be a combination of grassy herbals, resin, and a wispy garnish level of Simcoe-ish garlic and onions.

05-13-2011 19:35:30 | More by WastingFreetime
emerge077

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Deep brown, murky with some lighter golden edges. Spotty lacing, but the foam faded quickly. Slightly hazed with micro sediment.

Rich and complex aroma, malt driven with maple syrup, molasses, vanilla, toasted marshmallow, and an almost barrel-derived woodiness. Gingersnap cookies, some citrus and tropical notes from the hops present. Somewhat sweet.

Intensely malty, rich and complex like a barleywine, moderately hoppy with some trace alcohol. Full bodied, with low carbonation, a sweet nectar. Spicy pine from the hops, fruity melon notes, some trace maple sweetness, and a dry hoppy aftertaste. A nice after dinner sipper, with plenty of complexity to keep things interesting.

05-04-2011 03:35:04 | More by emerge077
PrinceDarren

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

I'll be honest, the only reason I bought this beer was because of the name. Dank - sounds like a pretty stinky smelling beer, right? Whether it is beer, wine, scotch, etc. I place a significant amount of emphasis on the aroma of my alcoholic beverage of the moment. You got good nose, you got good beer. So Dank should be right up my alley.

Pours orange in color. Aroma is, indeed, dank. Robust nose for sure with a touch of citrus. For a red, the hop character is well represented. Taste is rich, a little hoppy bitterness, a touch of rock candy sugar on the finish. The weakness in this beer is its drinkability. It is pretty heavy on the tongue.

I'm not sure if I've ever had an "Imperial Red" before, but I'm sure it would be hard to brew a better one than this. Excellent in many aspects except for mouthfeel and drinkability.

04-23-2011 23:08:58 | More by PrinceDarren
Thickfreakness

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

Got from my man hopscrazy! Thanks Brian!

A- Murky red brick color, nice 3 finger copper head that leaves sticky goodness all around the glass.

S- Caramel, hints of citrus, pine, tropical fruit and spices... Not as big on the hops as I expected, but really nice.

T- Nice hop bite... citrus gets hidden a little bit by the sweet malts! Lemon, orange peel, toffee, caramel and burnt sugar.

M- AWESOME!!! Really coats the tongue with sweetness... than bitter hops and citrus, before balancing out perfectly between the both! Like eating a Clementine dipped in Caramel!!!

O- An absolutely amazing brew! Citrus, sweetness, just a touch of alcohol on the finish! I can't wait to try all of the other O'so brews that hopscrazy was nice enough to send.

04-07-2011 20:59:16 | More by Thickfreakness
emmasdad

Colorado

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

Received this one in a recent trade with FrankenBrew (thanks again). Poured a slightly hazy burgundy with a little bit of white head on top. Aromas of caramel, pine, and citrus (grapefruit, orange). On the palate, this one is medium bodied and tasty, with flavors of caramel, toffee and citrusy hops. This is the second beer I've had from O'so, and I'd like to try more.

03-24-2011 23:43:34 | More by emmasdad
johnkale

3.4/5  rDev -13.5%

a - cloudy amber, minimal, dissipating head leaves a little foam, lots of bubbles coming up the side

s - tons of toffee and caramel, nice touch of grapefruit and earthy hops, a little apricot, nose is nice and sweet, alcohol is, surprisingly not noticeable in the slightest

t - toffee and bitter hops, a little citrus, a little booze, sweetness comes out as it warms, caramel and toffee are the dominant notes, risks being a malt bomb but the finish is fairly hoppy

m - a bit prickly with some resiny hops to coat the tongue, not too heavy

d - a little too sweet and hot to really gulp down but a pleasant sipper nonetheless

I've sipped at a few of these, this tasting the hops show up more than in previous ones. This is tasty for sure, but not a ten dollar four-pack.

03-04-2011 03:38:57 | More by johnkale
Soneast

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a murky, copper/brown color. Barely grows a head just a thin layer of white bubbles, that disappears rapidly. A tight ring of bubbles around the perimeter of the glass does leave a fair amount of lace.

First thing I pick up in the aroma is a fair bit of booze, then a bunch of caramel aromatics and caramel like sugars with a touch of pine-like hoppiness.

The flavor has a very interesting toffee flavor. Basically sweet, and sugary, but there is a fair bit of balancing hop character, lending an earthy slightly bitter finish to the beer. That all sounds pretty good, but the booziness in the finish is pretty intense, ruining a lot of the up front tastiness.

Considering the ABV it's no surprise this is so boozy. I was kind of hoping this beer would be more like a IPA disguised as a red ale, judging by the name, but really the hops are overshadowed by the malt and booze. I do like the majority of flavors in this beer, though, although the strong alcohol presence certainly ruins any drinkability this beer might have had.

02-19-2011 23:18:43 | More by Soneast
mychalg9

3.85/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Bought a single bottle on a recent beer run to WI. No head whatsoever despite moderately vigorous pour.

A- Looks like a thick, muddy, over-honeyed tea. Im more displeased with the lack of head than the color though. Despite the negativity the look is not terrible, but certainly different. My least favorite part of the beer.

S- Caramelly, barleywine-ish, some hops in there. Maybe a bit of vanilla. Opens up a bit as it warms

T - A little boozy, but the malt and hops hide it quickly. Caramel, slight hoppiness. Like a barleywine/DIPA mix. Very pleasant. Warms the stomach after a few sips. Probably my favorite aspect of the beer.

M- Could certainly use more carbonation, but not too much. Feel is a bit thick and resiny, but not in a negative way.

D- This beer is growing on me. For the ABV, it goes down a bit too smoothly, despite the warm booziness. Im still trying to decide if this is a sipper or not. I would definitely drink a second but that would be it for the night.

Overall this beer grew on me, Im guessing mostly because it warmed up. I certainly wouldnt seek it out, but would buy it again if the situation was right.

02-16-2011 00:01:45 | More by mychalg9
BarrytheBear

2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

Purchased as a single after my initial disappointment with another single from Oso. With a name like this, I'm looking for an ass kicking of sticky hop like proportions.

Pours a tepid dip-spit brown with a hell bent attitude of providing no head. We all know how these relationships end.

Smells like a sticky sweet scotch ale/barleywine love child. The hops (centennial?) try and push through, but dank they are not. Misclassification here? What the hell do I know.

Much like my previous experience with that gimmicky beer with the hop cones, Oso seems to have its heart in the right place, but can't quite carry out the execution. Like a clumsy, well intentioned, balding father who chases the new redheaded coworker, only to pull open the elevator door and slide safely to freedom. See ya tomorrrowww. But much like Homer and Mindy, this isn't meant to be. Stick to itiveness, and a turkey on your vacation away from worky is what you need. Even if the Chinese are against you.

Some tweaks to the recipe, mainly a dialing in on the hops and a whoa nellie on the malts, might yet make this a nice beer.

02-11-2011 23:34:40 | More by BarrytheBear
Tncapehart

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

A. Pours light brown and murky, like dirty river water. Positive to this is knowing I'm about to drink an unfiltered hop bomb. Absolutely no head to it, try as I may.

S. Piney hops although without the head to help waft up the aromas, I can't get much more out of it. Of what I can get out of it, it smells like I should start drinking it.

T. Wonderful! I enjoy the hops up front, caramel in the back, and a bit of heat to this strong beer to keep it interesting. Well balanced beer.

M. Medium to medium-light with a fair amount of carbonation, despite the lack of head. Lingers for a bit, but not in a bad way.

D. Very "sipable". Due to it's strength I won't be having more than one although I can see myself getting through this quickly. Overall a very nice beer.

01-26-2011 02:21:33 | More by Tncapehart
Bighuge

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

Dusty looking deep auburn toned body. Thin and bubbly beige head leaves little lace. Thick caramel malts on the nose with a hint of alcohol and some tropical notes as well. Smells like a malt forward barleywine. Body is medium full, but the carbonation is quite low. Bordering on flat, but not quite. Could use a little more carbonation. Flavor is solid. Caramel malts meld with a hint of breadiness. Hops add a little spice and alcohol adds a little heat. All in all, a solid Impy Red that could us more CO2.

07-07-2010 04:50:53 | More by Bighuge
Wisconsinality

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into SA Perfect Pint.

A- Pours a nice, deep red with bits of sediment floating about. After a nice pour, there is about a finger's worth of head that leaves pretty decent lacing.

S- Some caramelized malt, a little bit of hops and a little sweetness that I can't put my finger on. Smells like a decent scotch ale. Almost a butteryness.

T- I don't know if the bottle(s) I got a past it's prime but it is pretty muted. Some sweet malt, a little bit of malt, some caramel and a bit of an earthy tone. Again, like the nose, there is some buttery notes in there as well.

M- A medium bodied brew that has very little carbonation but has a nice smooth feel to it. No bite to speak of from the hops.

D- A pretty good, rich tasting beer that I feel doesn't really fit the style too well. Reminds me more of a scotch ale/wee heavy than a red ale. A decent beer that I think would be better fresh.

03-24-2010 03:20:44 | More by Wisconsinality
beerwolf77

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured inot my pint glass the beer is a very cloudy orange brown. A half finger of head attempts to form before fadind rather quick to leave a milky white lace ring.

The aroma is sweet with just hint of hops. There's a dicytel buttery thing going on as well. I worried at this point.

The flavor is sort of redeeming. Sweet malt followed by a sharp hop bite. The alcohol hits you right away with every sip. Maybe a touch boozy for my tastes.

Medium to full creamy body with light carbonation.

Overall this just sort of falls short for me. I had real high hopes and they simple weren't met.

03-13-2010 03:07:23 | More by beerwolf77
blackie

part of dirtylou's package

a: snifter serving, deep reddish amber beer capped with a light head

s: huge candied red malt aroma with caramel apple and butterscotch, lots of rich caramelization here, sweet crusty baked goods, vanilla pulls out after warming, nice booze, mild tealike hops, really dig this

m: medium-full bodied with a light carbonation

t: baked apples and caramel brought on by a big dose of heavily caramelized red malt, dark pie crust, butterscotch middle, leaning heavily towards the sugary malts with a light bitterness in the finish

d: quite easy given the strength

03-09-2010 03:42:11 | More by blackie
WJVII

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a pint glass this brew has almost a iced tea color with browns and purples, semi transparent. There was a 1 finger off white head that dissipated into nothing, but left nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is sweet with vanilla and has some hints of grassy hop and mild clove. The taste is thin and very smooth, with little to no carbonation. There is a nice vanilla after taste and a good roasted chocolate feeling in the back of my throat. I have been very critical of Oso's based on the few brews I have tired (for the price of them as well) but this is a very good beer. May bring me back to trying more of their selection. Thanks to my BA bud CdKrenz for this sampling.

02-20-2010 02:55:34 | More by WJVII
Mora2000

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks to exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours light brown with a minimal head. The aroma is very sweet, with malt and caramel. The flavor is sweetness with some light hoppy bitterness at the end. Lots of toffee and caramel. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not sure of the date of this bottle, but there was not hardly any hop presence in this beer at all. Still good, just not what I expected.

02-17-2010 18:28:24 | More by Mora2000