Hop Whoopin - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

Hop WhoopinHop Whoopin

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2010)

4.78/5  rDev +21.9%

Awesome IPA - the label is a warning though.

Look: Cloudy straw yellow.

Smell: Huge mango, papaya, and melon aromas. Hints of pine tar and lemon round it out

Taste: The tropical fruits rush in and fill the palate. A nice, innocent, malt backbone comes into play but the real treat to this beer is the monstrous dank hop flavor that comes in underneath it all. This is a real showcase of a single hop varietal. I love it; its definitely one of the finer IPAs I've had out of Wisconsin. Depending on perception and one's palate, the dank flavor of this beer - something that i find intriguing - can be thought of as a mix of grilled onion, a hint of roasted garlic with a bit of caraway. The tropical fruits are dominant enough to usher this flavor through and compliment it perfectly. I wouldn't let this one sit around though. Once those tropical aroma and flavor additions fade, this beer could get ugly in a hurry.

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance: Can't ask for a better looking IPA. Bright amber with a little haze from yeast sediment. Medium white head that lingers.

Smell: Lots of citrus aromas, most notably grapefruit. Also some sweetness from the malt. Really clean. The aromas meld really well. Almost verging on fruity.

Taste: Tastes much like it smells. Up front citrus with tangerine and grapefruit. Bitterness coats the mouth throughout with a little bitterness toward the back of the mouth. A little different than other IPAs in that respect. A little piney and resiny as well.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and without any noticeable abrasive or astringent notes. Surprisingly easy to drink for a malty IPA.

Overall: Very tasty in my opinion. As a single malt and single hop beer (S.M.A.S.H.), I'm impressed by the balance they were able to attain. But it works really well with the hops they used (Summit apparently) as it's not overwhelmed by citrus. I'd say it rivals some of the West Coast IPAs that everyone loves (I'd say it could easily go toe to toe with anything Lagunitas does). Highly recommended!

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

I am dismayed I am worried about the hopheads at the advocate: brothers, I drunk Pliny and I indulged in the Slam and the Trouble and the Mama and Furious and every thing and every drink that the Floyds have to offer and then more and so on and so on.

I should, in fact, join the AH, for it is not the "A," but the "H" that I can't shake.

There is NOTHING like the fresh Whoopin, nothing.

I felt offended when I opened my very first 1st bottle,indeed; to be precise my unbearably sensitive olfaction seemed assaulted for no reason. I put the bottle aside, I can tell you when and where exactly I did so.

Then, 3 days later I returned to another one, I did. I tasted her on a sandy beach and tasted heaven, I tasted again the 1st time I put my tongue you know where. I don't mean to be be flippant or stupid or provocative - no, it was a Proust moment, I tasted my first fair and ever so loving beaver again; so happy to just know that I can remember.

It ain't onion idiots, it is youth and beauty and hymen and dreams of what was and could be...

Taste it again, smell it again.

Hop Whoopin from O'so Brewing Company & Tap House