Hop Whoopin - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

Hop WhoopinHop Whoopin

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2010)
1.65/5  rDev -58%

Poured into a pint it is a very nice looking hazy peach color.

Ok the smell is where I began to get worried. I don't wanna say it but I gotta marijuana, garlic and onion. I love garlic and onion but not in my beer.

Taste was worse then the smell to me. It was all skunky onion and garlic and I could not get anything besides that.

Mouthfeel to be fair was decent and nicely carbonated an smooth.

It is nothing against O'so I have loved everything I have had from them. I am actually now having a Hopdinger to cleanse my palate. I do not know if this was a off batch but this was my first drain pour in over a year.

When I started the best IPA in your state thread everyone from WI if only O'so would bottle Hopwhoopin so I was real excited but man, not what I was hopin for.

nickapalooza86, Mar 21, 2012

phindog6, May 20, 2014

Phil_H, Oct 16, 2013

Kyrojack, Jan 23, 2014

jawneyt, Oct 20, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was bottled exactly one week before I tasted it. Pours a nice clean dark amber and a 1-finger head.

Smell is pungent pine and onions.

I love IPAs and am a confirmed hophead. Also, I love Wisconsin beers. I wanted so much to love this beer. But to me it was disappointing because the hops gave it a weird oniony/garlic taste. Maybe I was expecting too much, had set myself up.

Mouthfeel is a creamy coating that lingers. Very nice.

Overall, whatever hops they were using, god knows. This was one of the strangest IPAs I have ever tasted. O'so is a good brewery and I expect good things from them in the future.

joefeidt, Mar 17, 2012

boondogglefob, Mar 27, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

A. Straw appearance with a white, light head of two fingers. Leaves a nice amount of lacing.

S. Pungent aroma of garlic and onion - a telltale sign of summit hops. Not off putting but not my cup of tea either.

T. The onion on the nose unfortunately carries over to the palate. There is also some pine. Finishes with a good amount of lingering bitterness.

M. Fairly light bodied, okay carbonation.

O. I had high hopes for this beer - I would love to find an O'so beer that I can buy on a regular basis. But I have been foiled once again. Too much onion for my tastes.

bound4er, Mar 23, 2012

NorthSideSean, Apr 22, 2013

jenray, Nov 12, 2012

Soneast, Jan 28, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured into a 7oz taster.

Hazy yellow pour. Several fingers of off white head. Nose is pine and citrus. This beer is incredibly dry on the tongue. Citrus really didn't port over from the smell to the taste. It was just bleh. I expected some form of sweetness but I was met with a hand to the face.

I've had other O'so stuff that I've really enjoyed. This, not so much. After my initial glass I came back to it later in the tasting to see if I was off. The results were the same. Ultimately I dumped it out. Not awful, but borderline.

TheDudeRules, Aug 20, 2011

tbergsli, Mar 22, 2013

jwenzel019, Aug 16, 2014

Davihaw, Feb 17, 2013
3.33/5  rDev -15.3%

Reviewing the Hop Whoopin from O'so Brewing Company.
Score: 75

Bottling code is "053121427." My gut says that means that this is from the end of February of this year. Served in a Stella Artois chalice and enjoyed on 03/26/12.

Appearance: Pours a murky, slightly cloudy orpiment color (that's ancient Egyptian for darker yellow). Not much head at pour -- a thin bubbly lacing at best with a foggy cap over the majority of the drink. Below average lacing, above average retention. 3.5/5

Smell: Resinous pine, honey, pineapple, light caramel, orange rind and tropic citrus. 4/5

Taste: Bitter, juicy orange, pineapple and earthy hops. There is a growing, heavy bitterness on the palate as the beer layers. Not much else. 3/5

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Watery oily mouthfeel that washes away most of the flavor prematurely, save for the bitterness. Bitter finish. 3/5

Overall: Nothing special, but not undrinkable. Smells much better than it tastes. I would not buy this beer again.

Recommendation: Feel free to skip this one, especially if you hate bitterer beers.

Pairings: Swiss-and-almond cheese spread.

Cost: $3.49 for a 12 oz bottle.

jegross2, Mar 27, 2012
3.38/5  rDev -14%

Hazey, brass and copper color mix. Ok head, and the foam recedes to a small island or two for the rest of the twelve ounces.There's a few small pockets of tiny bubbles.

Oily, toasted orange peels and pine needles. Can't smell much of the malts. Smells hop dominated for sure.

Strong hop flavor of pine, sticky orange and toasted grapefruit. Can make out some melba toast cracker flavors from the malt. This is a hop forward brew, no doubt. Plate is a little resiny, with a hoppy twang on the finish.

scruffwhor, Dec 24, 2012
3.38/5  rDev -14%

Hop Whoopin pours a hazy golden color, with very small head. Their is a slightly floral. The taste has a sharp hoppyness, bitter and then finishes rather sweet. Nice subtle malty backbone. Nice carbonation, could be a bit dryer. Overall a nice IPA, a sweeter hoppy flavor does make it unique.

vette2006c5r, Jun 06, 2013
3.4/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy golden.

Floral hops the main scent.

Caramel malt and muddled floral hops. I am not being whooped.

Mouthfeel a bit flat.

Maybe this bottle is a bit old, passable but not really feeling this one. Pretty one dimensional and lacking that extra bite.

Strix, Feb 13, 2013