Hop Whoopin - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

Hop WhoopinHop Whoopin

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »

bpfrush

11-15-2011 03:39:29 | More by bpfrush
TheDudeRules

3.03/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured into a 7oz taster.

Hazy yellow pour. Several fingers of off white head. Nose is pine and citrus. This beer is incredibly dry on the tongue. Citrus really didn't port over from the smell to the taste. It was just bleh. I expected some form of sweetness but I was met with a hand to the face.

I've had other O'so stuff that I've really enjoyed. This, not so much. After my initial glass I came back to it later in the tasting to see if I was off. The results were the same. Ultimately I dumped it out. Not awful, but borderline.

08-20-2011 17:24:18 | More by TheDudeRules
brew3crew

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%

On tap at captain mikes on my first adventure to wisconsin

A-hazy yellow with a nice white frothy head that sticks around for awhile

S-great citrus smell. Leaves my mouth watering

T-follows the nose with the citrus. Very sticky as well.

m- medium body and smooth with a nice lingering hop bitterness

o-nice little find. Very solid ipa I would go back for seconds

08-09-2011 00:12:40 | More by brew3crew
Prostman81

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Had this on tap at the Mission Grille in Sister Bay, WI.

This beer had a terrific hop aroma, heavy with citrus and pine. The aromas carry over into the taste as well, with perhaps even an emphasis on even further citrus. I'd have to say it almost tasted sweet, but I could've been confusing that actually with the citrus notes.

Mouthfeel was decent, although rather watery. No bite from either hops, yeast, or malt. Color/appearance was your run of the mill pale ale.

A terrific beer find, which I understand that the brewery has extremely limited distribution, and this offering only currently on tap. If you can try this one out, you definitely won't be disappointed.

I

07-22-2011 05:06:10 | More by Prostman81
BarrytheBear

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

DirectionalDowns weekend continues. The school year melts into summer and the knot in my back somehow loosens and transforms itself into a long well needed vacation.

Growler into a glass pours a soapy ladden medium clear orange. Pinpoint tiny bubbles march upward from the center. Clunky coverage seems to predicate a slightly dated tap.

Hops are up my alley. Fruit bowl white tangerine, peach, pineapple, and light bitters. From my understanding of when this growler may have originated, this still shows brightly, though I'm left to wonder what could have been.

Fleshy nectarine skins, pine, and dank woody greens. Faint bitters and tropical fruit ride throughout. Left wondering where this stood upon release, but still really liking what sits in front of me.

Mouthfeel is a lowly carbonated hop juice deliverer. Fresh, I can imagine this as being a real treat. As is, it's just really good.

06-12-2011 00:21:52 | More by BarrytheBear
coopsta12p

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Served on tap with a take home growler. Poured into my favorite chalice glass.

A - Light Bronze/Amber color. Quite beautiful when held up to the light. Has a light to average carbonation for this style. Retains a very thin skimmy layer of head with very light lacing down the glass.

S - Sweet malts with a herbal aroma tainted with a hint of orange peel. Very fresh to the nose.

T - The hops immediately ignited on my taste buds. No delay in the bitterness but the subtly present citrus flavors balance this beer well.

M - Has a heavy feel due to the high levels of hops. I thought the carbonation was perfect. The palate was definitely cashed after drinking two glasses.

O - Very tasy beer that leaves the palate tingling with bouncy hops. Represents an IPA very well. Does lack any interesting or unique flavoring upfront but the balancing act of sweet and bitter was right up my alley. Would definitely purchase again and recommend a try to anyone.

05-13-2011 22:54:47 | More by coopsta12p
burnheartsMKE

Wisconsin

I poured it into my favorite glass and settled my nose on the rim for a good two minutes of inhalation; fresh summer fruit salad flooded my mind, too much melon (it's the one fruit I wish wasn't added to every damn fruit salad). It's like diced strawberries and grapefruit wedges got all mushy wading in the melon juice. A wisps of cotton candy wafting through... the State Fair.

On the tongue mostly grapefruit, tangerine and marshmallow, but I also get a well-hidden skunk; sun-stroked hoppiness. Lots of bitter kind of overwhelms me at first, but as I drink, and it warms, a truer essence appears.

This beer is the kid who, unruly & defiant, runs away from his folks at the fair. He cashes in all of his tickets on fruit-flavored jawbreakers, gums, deep-fried this & thats, cotton candy & unlimited ride on the Whizzer. Hours pass, faces warp and freedom turns into loneliness. With the help of some volunteers and his tail between his legs, he finds his worried parents who are relieved that he is safe. He buries his crying face into his mother's bare leg as the sun sets. All three walked back through the overfilled parking to their car when dad looks at mom, messes the little knuckle-head's hair and smiles.

03-23-2011 05:00:52 | More by burnheartsMKE
Ek0nomik

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured In: English pint glass
Had on tap at the Malt House

Appearance: The pour was an amber and bronze color with two fingers of creamy head. Splashes of lace cover the side of the glass above the bend of the pint glass. The beer is slightly hazy.

Smell: This is going to be a wonderful IPA. Dank, herbal hops including grass and pine playing alongside orange peel, grapefruit and mango. There's very little malt sitting in the nose, which I am quite okay with.

Taste: A bit of malt shows up on the palate, but it isn't loaded with sweet caramel malt like many of its sisters in the category. It has some slightly sweet pale malt resting in the background, but the hops push it out of the way every time. More earthy hops shine through along with more citrus hops including grapefruit and mango.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, and the carbonation was a bit too high in my opinion.

Drinkability: I had two pints, and my palate some destroyed afterward. Luckily, I didn't want anything else to drink, so I was quite fine with the results. I asked the bartender if this was coming in bottles, and from the sounds of it it's keg only. They really need to put this inside bottles.

12-20-2010 01:29:05 | More by Ek0nomik
emerge077

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%

Three drafts at Bomb Shelter in Milwaukee... wow, this is great stuff. Now if only O'So would bottle it. Hop Whoopin' comes across like the IPA version of Lupulin Maximus DIPA, coming out next week for it's annual release.

Hazy saturated orange pour, very creamy texture to the foam. It fluffed up in a convex dome above the surface of the glass. As it was sipped, concentric rings of lace formed. The head never faded, very impressive.

Intense tropical and citrus aroma, mango, melon, orange, resiny and catty. Very dank and resinous, a true hop bomb. I found myself just sitting there inhaling it, even when not taking a sip.

A rush of bitter hop oil, raw orange peel, pure lupulin essence. Dry in the finish, but almost sweet in the middle from the concentrated citrus, and to a lesser extent the malt in the background. Light bodied, low to medium carbonation. Pure hop juice delivery vehicle. Amazing stuff that hopefully gets bottled one day.

11-15-2010 00:43:06 | More by emerge077
cdkrenz

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

I'm told the only spot you'll be able to enjoy this brew is at the brewery in their taproom. Hopefully that changes because this is a brew everyone should be able to sample... even if you can't make it to P-lover.

A - Red body with a thick, frothy off-white head. It leaves a very nice lacing as it recedes.

S - The aroma of hops are prevalent. They consist of citrusy grapefruit.

T - The flavors match the scent. Tons of citrusy grapefruit hops. This is a great tasting IPA. Loaded with hops but well balanced against the malt to create and allow the hops to shine rather than overwhelm.

M - It feels as a good India Pale Ale should... thick, sticky and even slightly chewy.

~ This is a very good beer and I hope the folks at O'so continue to brew it. If they don't, now is the time to head on over to get your Whoopin'!

09-26-2010 15:13:37 | More by cdkrenz