Hop Whoopin - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

Hop WhoopinHop Whoopin

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2010)
4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

Reviewing the Hop Whoopin from O'so Brewing Company.
Score: 75

Bottling code is "053121427." My gut says that means that this is from the end of February of this year. Served in a Stella Artois chalice and enjoyed on 03/26/12.

Appearance: Pours a murky, slightly cloudy orpiment color (that's ancient Egyptian for darker yellow). Not much head at pour -- a thin bubbly lacing at best with a foggy cap over the majority of the drink. Below average lacing, above average retention. 3.5/5

Smell: Resinous pine, honey, pineapple, light caramel, orange rind and tropic citrus. 4/5

Taste: Bitter, juicy orange, pineapple and earthy hops. There is a growing, heavy bitterness on the palate as the beer layers. Not much else. 3/5

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Watery oily mouthfeel that washes away most of the flavor prematurely, save for the bitterness. Bitter finish. 3/5

Overall: Nothing special, but not undrinkable. Smells much better than it tastes. I would not buy this beer again.

Recommendation: Feel free to skip this one, especially if you hate bitterer beers.

Pairings: Swiss-and-almond cheese spread.

Cost: $3.49 for a 12 oz bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

A. Straw appearance with a white, light head of two fingers. Leaves a nice amount of lacing.

S. Pungent aroma of garlic and onion - a telltale sign of summit hops. Not off putting but not my cup of tea either.

T. The onion on the nose unfortunately carries over to the palate. There is also some pine. Finishes with a good amount of lingering bitterness.

M. Fairly light bodied, okay carbonation.

O. I had high hopes for this beer - I would love to find an O'so beer that I can buy on a regular basis. But I have been foiled once again. Too much onion for my tastes.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

1.65/5  rDev -57.9%

Poured into a pint it is a very nice looking hazy peach color.

Ok the smell is where I began to get worried. I don't wanna say it but I gotta marijuana, garlic and onion. I love garlic and onion but not in my beer.

Taste was worse then the smell to me. It was all skunky onion and garlic and I could not get anything besides that.

Mouthfeel to be fair was decent and nicely carbonated an smooth.

It is nothing against O'so I have loved everything I have had from them. I am actually now having a Hopdinger to cleanse my palate. I do not know if this was a off batch but this was my first drain pour in over a year.

When I started the best IPA in your state thread everyone from WI if only O'so would bottle Hopwhoopin so I was real excited but man, not what I was hopin for.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

12 oz. bottle, purchased locally in a 4-pack ($9.99). Bottled on February 22nd, 26 days ago. Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Cloudy, amber, with 1-1/4" fluffy head that settles quickly and leaves a consistent sheet of lacing; steady effervescence.

S: Strong, fresh hops detected as soon as the bottle cap is removed; very close to experience of smelling whole hop cones; piney, grapefruit, fruit.

T: Very fresh pine resin, bright citrus and peach, apricot, followed by quite intense bitterness that levels and blends with the other flavors; no alcohol detected.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation; rich and smooth feel; dry finish; heat is well masked.

O: This was tasted beside a 3 mo. old bottle of O'so Lupulin Maximus, which tasted sweet and "mature" in contrast to Hop Whoopin'. This is a very good, fresh, hop-intense IPA that tastes bigger than the 7% ABV led me to expect. O'so is clearly unafraid of pushing boundaries.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours out a semi-hazy golden color with a two finger frothy whipped foam head that recedes to a half finger cap in about a minute, which does stick around for quite some time, as does the rings of curtain-y lacing. Smells and tastes of raw blasts of nigh-overwhelming hop power. We have onion, garlic, grapefruit peel and pith, pine tree sap with slivers of bark in it, orange and lemon peel, burnt honey, tropical fruit medley, and a caramel malt holding all of these things together structurally. Body and carbonation levels are both medium.

This hop bomb is a bit closer to the sweeter and balanced side of things than most other hop bombs I've tasted, for whatever that opinion may be worth.

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was bottled exactly one week before I tasted it. Pours a nice clean dark amber and a 1-finger head.

Smell is pungent pine and onions.

I love IPAs and am a confirmed hophead. Also, I love Wisconsin beers. I wanted so much to love this beer. But to me it was disappointing because the hops gave it a weird oniony/garlic taste. Maybe I was expecting too much, had set myself up.

Mouthfeel is a creamy coating that lingers. Very nice.

Overall, whatever hops they were using, god knows. This was one of the strangest IPAs I have ever tasted. O'so is a good brewery and I expect good things from them in the future.

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into CBS snifter. Served slightly chilled.

A) An excellent looking amber, with a very slight haze. There was a finger of head, which had good retention. Plenty of sticky lacing, could be seen clinging to the snifter.

S) Whoa... The aroma here put a hop whoopin on my nostrils. This was quite pungent. Heavy pine, citrus zest, bits of orange and lemon, mild sweetness. A little green onion.

T) Indeed, the hop whoopin continues. Any of the mild sweetness found on the nose is pretty much gone with the flavor. Quite bitter, like chewing up pine needles and hop cones. The green onion is more prominent in the flavor. My taste buds would have liked this beer to have a little bit of a malt whoopin too.

M) A nice medium body, moderately carbonated. This has a little zip. The finish and aftertaste are mostly grass and pine. The quality of the mouthfeel allows for a pleasurable drinking experience, despite the intensity of the hops.

O) I've been waiting to try this one out, and was plenty happy to find out it was being bottled. In the end, I would have preferred a little more malt sweetness to round this out. I'm guessing that was never the intention of this beer, and the plan was to whoop your ass with hops. Well, mission accomplished. If you love hops, I strongly recommend this beer.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Finally out in bottles!!

Served chilled in a Duvel tulip

A - pour is a hazy golden with 3 fingers of pure white head, dissipates slowly

S - lots of citrus, some bitterness and piny hops,

T - more hoppy and less citrus then the nose would suggest, but very nice with hops very big up front with a mild malt backbone

M - fairly thick, oily, and sticky. good amount of carbonation, not much alcohol burn

O - Excellent AIPA, super hoppy as the name would suggest. I am very happy that O'so decided to bottle this after having it a couple of times on tap.

Edit: I think I was a bit over excited to try this one on initial review. This reflects my more "down to earth" objective review.

3.03/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured into a 7oz taster.

Hazy yellow pour. Several fingers of off white head. Nose is pine and citrus. This beer is incredibly dry on the tongue. Citrus really didn't port over from the smell to the taste. It was just bleh. I expected some form of sweetness but I was met with a hand to the face.

I've had other O'so stuff that I've really enjoyed. This, not so much. After my initial glass I came back to it later in the tasting to see if I was off. The results were the same. Ultimately I dumped it out. Not awful, but borderline.

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at captain mikes on my first adventure to wisconsin

A-hazy yellow with a nice white frothy head that sticks around for awhile

S-great citrus smell. Leaves my mouth watering

T-follows the nose with the citrus. Very sticky as well.

m- medium body and smooth with a nice lingering hop bitterness

o-nice little find. Very solid ipa I would go back for seconds

Hop Whoopin from O'so Brewing Company & Tap House