Hop Whoopin - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

Hop WhoopinHop Whoopin

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2010)
4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

12 oz. bottle, purchased locally in a 4-pack ($9.99). Bottled on February 22nd, 26 days ago. Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Cloudy, amber, with 1-1/4" fluffy head that settles quickly and leaves a consistent sheet of lacing; steady effervescence.

S: Strong, fresh hops detected as soon as the bottle cap is removed; very close to experience of smelling whole hop cones; piney, grapefruit, fruit.

T: Very fresh pine resin, bright citrus and peach, apricot, followed by quite intense bitterness that levels and blends with the other flavors; no alcohol detected.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation; rich and smooth feel; dry finish; heat is well masked.

O: This was tasted beside a 3 mo. old bottle of O'so Lupulin Maximus, which tasted sweet and "mature" in contrast to Hop Whoopin'. This is a very good, fresh, hop-intense IPA that tastes bigger than the 7% ABV led me to expect. O'so is clearly unafraid of pushing boundaries.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured In: English pint glass
Had on tap at the Malt House

Appearance: The pour was an amber and bronze color with two fingers of creamy head. Splashes of lace cover the side of the glass above the bend of the pint glass. The beer is slightly hazy.

Smell: This is going to be a wonderful IPA. Dank, herbal hops including grass and pine playing alongside orange peel, grapefruit and mango. There's very little malt sitting in the nose, which I am quite okay with.

Taste: A bit of malt shows up on the palate, but it isn't loaded with sweet caramel malt like many of its sisters in the category. It has some slightly sweet pale malt resting in the background, but the hops push it out of the way every time. More earthy hops shine through along with more citrus hops including grapefruit and mango.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, and the carbonation was a bit too high in my opinion.

Drinkability: I had two pints, and my palate some destroyed afterward. Luckily, I didn't want anything else to drink, so I was quite fine with the results. I asked the bartender if this was coming in bottles, and from the sounds of it it's keg only. They really need to put this inside bottles.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours out a semi-hazy golden color with a two finger frothy whipped foam head that recedes to a half finger cap in about a minute, which does stick around for quite some time, as does the rings of curtain-y lacing. Smells and tastes of raw blasts of nigh-overwhelming hop power. We have onion, garlic, grapefruit peel and pith, pine tree sap with slivers of bark in it, orange and lemon peel, burnt honey, tropical fruit medley, and a caramel malt holding all of these things together structurally. Body and carbonation levels are both medium.

This hop bomb is a bit closer to the sweeter and balanced side of things than most other hop bombs I've tasted, for whatever that opinion may be worth.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served from nitro tap in an american pint glass

Beautiful hazy yellow color that was especially creamy looking from the nitro character.

I haven't tried the regular version of this (not nitro) so I can't compare tastes but I loved the smooth hoppy flavor of this beer.

Had a slightly floral smell to it and a wonderful mouthfeel.

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at captain mikes on my first adventure to wisconsin

A-hazy yellow with a nice white frothy head that sticks around for awhile

S-great citrus smell. Leaves my mouth watering

T-follows the nose with the citrus. Very sticky as well.

m- medium body and smooth with a nice lingering hop bitterness

o-nice little find. Very solid ipa I would go back for seconds

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Three drafts at Bomb Shelter in Milwaukee... wow, this is great stuff. Now if only O'So would bottle it. Hop Whoopin' comes across like the IPA version of Lupulin Maximus DIPA, coming out next week for it's annual release.

Hazy saturated orange pour, very creamy texture to the foam. It fluffed up in a convex dome above the surface of the glass. As it was sipped, concentric rings of lace formed. The head never faded, very impressive.

Intense tropical and citrus aroma, mango, melon, orange, resiny and catty. Very dank and resinous, a true hop bomb. I found myself just sitting there inhaling it, even when not taking a sip.

A rush of bitter hop oil, raw orange peel, pure lupulin essence. Dry in the finish, but almost sweet in the middle from the concentrated citrus, and to a lesser extent the malt in the background. Light bodied, low to medium carbonation. Pure hop juice delivery vehicle. Amazing stuff that hopefully gets bottled one day.

4.46/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Cloudy pale yellow color, with white head that dissipates rapidly. When you put your nose down in the glass it literally slaps your face with its big citrus flavor. Lemon, lime, and grapefruit combined with a thick piney aroma. Taste is phenomenal. Absolutely one of the best IPAs I have ever had! Taste resembles the smell of balsam fir trees, and reminds me of... no,... not Christmas,... but shearing Christmas trees as a teenager. Mouthfeel is a lot like the nose over the top, slap you up, I AM an IPA. You will pucker up on this beer.

Overall, I would absolutely seek this beer out, because until you find something else like it, you won't find anything else like it.

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance: Can't ask for a better looking IPA. Bright amber with a little haze from yeast sediment. Medium white head that lingers.

Smell: Lots of citrus aromas, most notably grapefruit. Also some sweetness from the malt. Really clean. The aromas meld really well. Almost verging on fruity.

Taste: Tastes much like it smells. Up front citrus with tangerine and grapefruit. Bitterness coats the mouth throughout with a little bitterness toward the back of the mouth. A little different than other IPAs in that respect. A little piney and resiny as well.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and without any noticeable abrasive or astringent notes. Surprisingly easy to drink for a malty IPA.

Overall: Very tasty in my opinion. As a single malt and single hop beer (S.M.A.S.H.), I'm impressed by the balance they were able to attain. But it works really well with the hops they used (Summit apparently) as it's not overwhelmed by citrus. I'd say it rivals some of the West Coast IPAs that everyone loves (I'd say it could easily go toe to toe with anything Lagunitas does). Highly recommended!

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

I am dismayed I am worried about the hopheads at the advocate: brothers, I drunk Pliny and I indulged in the Slam and the Trouble and the Mama and Furious and every thing and every drink that the Floyds have to offer and then more and so on and so on.

I should, in fact, join the AH, for it is not the "A," but the "H" that I can't shake.

There is NOTHING like the fresh Whoopin, nothing.

I felt offended when I opened my very first 1st bottle,indeed; to be precise my unbearably sensitive olfaction seemed assaulted for no reason. I put the bottle aside, I can tell you when and where exactly I did so.

Then, 3 days later I returned to another one, I did. I tasted her on a sandy beach and tasted heaven, I tasted again the 1st time I put my tongue you know where. I don't mean to be be flippant or stupid or provocative - no, it was a Proust moment, I tasted my first fair and ever so loving beaver again; so happy to just know that I can remember.

It ain't onion idiots, it is youth and beauty and hymen and dreams of what was and could be...

Taste it again, smell it again.

Hop Whoopin from O'so Brewing Company & Tap House