2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Whoopin - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

Hop WhoopinHop Whoopin

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 159 | Reviews: 45 | Show All Ratings:
kawilliams81

Yukon (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Half Acre tulip?

A- pours a light golden with a 2 finger white head. Some blotches and amoeba lacing remains.

S- light caramel, big bitter grapefruit and citrus and pine.

T- sweet pale malts, citrus, big bitter grapefruit and orange going on here with some pine bitterness at the finish.

M- medium body and carbonation. Light feel with slight slickness.

O- nice ipa. Definitely citrus and hop bitterness forward but has just enough malt balance.

09-11-2012 00:28:20 | More by kawilliams81
zeledonia

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottled 19 March 2012. Not too bad, though I wish I'd gotten to it a bit sooner.

Pours a pale golden yellow, quite clear, with 1.5 fingers of dense, spongy, very white head. Excellent retention, and loads of lacing. Only the faintest hint of visible carbonation.

This smells freaking delicious. Hops galore, with loads of citrus (oranges, yum), tropical fruits, and a touch of pine. Smells like one of those crazy orange-pineapple-whatever juice mixes. Wow.

Taste comes through almost as well, though, as expected, the aromatic hops aren't quite as prominent. Malts are faint and only in the background. Bitterness is about where I'd like it, which is probably below where most people would like it, but there's enough that you won't forget you're drinking an IPA. The onion flavor definitely comes on in the latter part of that bitterness. Finish is sometimes lastingly bitter, sometimes quick and evaporative. Tasty stuff.

Mouthfeel is fine, a little light on the carbonation, but not bad. Body seems kinda light for an ale this strong.

As with many IPAs, the smell here is what does it for me. Such fantastic hop aromatics, with all kinds of fruits dancing their way up my nose. Taste isn't as impressive, but holds up just fine. One of my new favorite local IPAs.

05-06-2012 03:54:05 | More by zeledonia
jera1350

Pale gold, creamy white head of suds. Some nice lacing.

Really has a fresh/wet hop scent to it. Grassy with some honey/biscuit malt.

Holy sour cream and chive! This is the first time that I have actually gotten the mythical onion flavor out of a beer. I've heard of it before, but now am actually tasting it. It's different, but not off-putting. Grassy at first, them transitioning to onion with some tropical notes and a moderate bitterness. Light malt backbone.

Has a crisp and clean feel. Light-medium body.

The onion really is different, but it really isn't too bad here. This overall beer is a nice crisp easy drinking IPA. Has some fresh/wet hop components to it. An enjoyable IPA.

05-02-2012 01:39:21 | More by jera1350
Zachtheporter

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a whisky snifter.

A- Pours a rich gold nearly orange. Very light lacing for te head. Hazy with decent light penetration
S- Very sweet fruity and citrusy with a nice bready finish. Strong notes of orange grapefruit and light mango.

T- Start of sweet for just a quick second before moving into a strong bitterness. The bitterness has strong grassy and slight pine and citrusy notes. Leaves a strong earthy grassy bitterness for an aftertaste.

M- Low carbonation medium/light bodied.

O- A very hoppy ale. Strong in hop taste but not necessarily in the best way. While it is defiantly good and definitely has quit a unique hop profile to it, It is just to strong for me. Glad I grabbed this in a make your own six pack because I probably would only be able to drink just one.

04-19-2012 03:42:17 | More by Zachtheporter
knepper

4.78/5  rDev +21.6%

Awesome IPA - the label is a warning though.

Look: Cloudy straw yellow.

Smell: Huge mango, papaya, and melon aromas. Hints of pine tar and lemon round it out

Taste: The tropical fruits rush in and fill the palate. A nice, innocent, malt backbone comes into play but the real treat to this beer is the monstrous dank hop flavor that comes in underneath it all. This is a real showcase of a single hop varietal. I love it; its definitely one of the finer IPAs I've had out of Wisconsin. Depending on perception and one's palate, the dank flavor of this beer - something that i find intriguing - can be thought of as a mix of grilled onion, a hint of roasted garlic with a bit of caraway. The tropical fruits are dominant enough to usher this flavor through and compliment it perfectly. I wouldn't let this one sit around though. Once those tropical aroma and flavor additions fade, this beer could get ugly in a hurry.

04-18-2012 02:20:29 | More by knepper
mjryan

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Oh my. Hop Whoopin indeed! Massive hop aroma. Tropical fruit salad; tangerines, pineapple, mango and green onion, yes green onion. Yikes! In terms of impressive hop aroma, this IPA stands with the best of them, the bouquet fills the room. Tastes like hops as well. Imagine that. Strange dank hop flavour. Not unpleasant. Pricks the tongue like pineapple juice, green onion there as well. Malt? Sure, I guess. Dry and bitter. Perfect mouth feel and appearance. Sure, this beer has that onion/garlic/chive thing going on. If I had to guess, I'd say Summit hops are used extensively. That being said, I've experienced similar flavours and aromas from Amarillo, Citra and Columbus hops as well. It seems to mellow as the glass drains. Really hoppy, world class in that regard. Strange, unique, not typical. Works for me.

04-16-2012 03:11:00 | More by mjryan
jegross2

3.33/5  rDev -15.3%

Reviewing the Hop Whoopin from O'so Brewing Company.
Score: 75

Bottling code is "053121427." My gut says that means that this is from the end of February of this year. Served in a Stella Artois chalice and enjoyed on 03/26/12.

Appearance: Pours a murky, slightly cloudy orpiment color (that's ancient Egyptian for darker yellow). Not much head at pour -- a thin bubbly lacing at best with a foggy cap over the majority of the drink. Below average lacing, above average retention. 3.5/5

Smell: Resinous pine, honey, pineapple, light caramel, orange rind and tropic citrus. 4/5

Taste: Bitter, juicy orange, pineapple and earthy hops. There is a growing, heavy bitterness on the palate as the beer layers. Not much else. 3/5

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Watery oily mouthfeel that washes away most of the flavor prematurely, save for the bitterness. Bitter finish. 3/5

Overall: Nothing special, but not undrinkable. Smells much better than it tastes. I would not buy this beer again.

Recommendation: Feel free to skip this one, especially if you hate bitterer beers.

Pairings: Swiss-and-almond cheese spread.

Cost: $3.49 for a 12 oz bottle.

03-27-2012 02:49:50 | More by jegross2
bound4er

2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

A. Straw appearance with a white, light head of two fingers. Leaves a nice amount of lacing.

S. Pungent aroma of garlic and onion - a telltale sign of summit hops. Not off putting but not my cup of tea either.

T. The onion on the nose unfortunately carries over to the palate. There is also some pine. Finishes with a good amount of lingering bitterness.

M. Fairly light bodied, okay carbonation.

O. I had high hopes for this beer - I would love to find an O'so beer that I can buy on a regular basis. But I have been foiled once again. Too much onion for my tastes.

03-23-2012 00:03:30 | More by bound4er
nickapalooza86

1.65/5  rDev -58%

Poured into a pint it is a very nice looking hazy peach color.

Ok the smell is where I began to get worried. I don't wanna say it but I gotta marijuana, garlic and onion. I love garlic and onion but not in my beer.

Taste was worse then the smell to me. It was all skunky onion and garlic and I could not get anything besides that.

Mouthfeel to be fair was decent and nicely carbonated an smooth.

It is nothing against O'so I have loved everything I have had from them. I am actually now having a Hopdinger to cleanse my palate. I do not know if this was a off batch but this was my first drain pour in over a year.

When I started the best IPA in your state thread everyone from WI if only O'so would bottle Hopwhoopin so I was real excited but man, not what I was hopin for.

03-21-2012 00:27:25 | More by nickapalooza86
bierbrauer

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

12 oz. bottle, purchased locally in a 4-pack ($9.99). Bottled on February 22nd, 26 days ago. Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Cloudy, amber, with 1-1/4" fluffy head that settles quickly and leaves a consistent sheet of lacing; steady effervescence.

S: Strong, fresh hops detected as soon as the bottle cap is removed; very close to experience of smelling whole hop cones; piney, grapefruit, fruit.

T: Very fresh pine resin, bright citrus and peach, apricot, followed by quite intense bitterness that levels and blends with the other flavors; no alcohol detected.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation; rich and smooth feel; dry finish; heat is well masked.

O: This was tasted beside a 3 mo. old bottle of O'so Lupulin Maximus, which tasted sweet and "mature" in contrast to Hop Whoopin'. This is a very good, fresh, hop-intense IPA that tastes bigger than the 7% ABV led me to expect. O'so is clearly unafraid of pushing boundaries.

03-19-2012 02:01:03 | More by bierbrauer
WastingFreetime

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours out a semi-hazy golden color with a two finger frothy whipped foam head that recedes to a half finger cap in about a minute, which does stick around for quite some time, as does the rings of curtain-y lacing. Smells and tastes of raw blasts of nigh-overwhelming hop power. We have onion, garlic, grapefruit peel and pith, pine tree sap with slivers of bark in it, orange and lemon peel, burnt honey, tropical fruit medley, and a caramel malt holding all of these things together structurally. Body and carbonation levels are both medium.

This hop bomb is a bit closer to the sweeter and balanced side of things than most other hop bombs I've tasted, for whatever that opinion may be worth.

03-18-2012 06:27:54 | More by WastingFreetime
joefeidt

2.75/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was bottled exactly one week before I tasted it. Pours a nice clean dark amber and a 1-finger head.

Smell is pungent pine and onions.

I love IPAs and am a confirmed hophead. Also, I love Wisconsin beers. I wanted so much to love this beer. But to me it was disappointing because the hops gave it a weird oniony/garlic taste. Maybe I was expecting too much, had set myself up.

Mouthfeel is a creamy coating that lingers. Very nice.

Overall, whatever hops they were using, god knows. This was one of the strangest IPAs I have ever tasted. O'so is a good brewery and I expect good things from them in the future.

03-17-2012 21:54:56 | More by joefeidt
RoamingGnome

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into CBS snifter. Served slightly chilled.

A) An excellent looking amber, with a very slight haze. There was a finger of head, which had good retention. Plenty of sticky lacing, could be seen clinging to the snifter.

S) Whoa... The aroma here put a hop whoopin on my nostrils. This was quite pungent. Heavy pine, citrus zest, bits of orange and lemon, mild sweetness. A little green onion.

T) Indeed, the hop whoopin continues. Any of the mild sweetness found on the nose is pretty much gone with the flavor. Quite bitter, like chewing up pine needles and hop cones. The green onion is more prominent in the flavor. My taste buds would have liked this beer to have a little bit of a malt whoopin too.

M) A nice medium body, moderately carbonated. This has a little zip. The finish and aftertaste are mostly grass and pine. The quality of the mouthfeel allows for a pleasurable drinking experience, despite the intensity of the hops.

O) I've been waiting to try this one out, and was plenty happy to find out it was being bottled. In the end, I would have preferred a little more malt sweetness to round this out. I'm guessing that was never the intention of this beer, and the plan was to whoop your ass with hops. Well, mission accomplished. If you love hops, I strongly recommend this beer.

03-17-2012 03:20:04 | More by RoamingGnome
ncketchum

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

Finally out in bottles!!

Served chilled in a Duvel tulip

A - pour is a hazy golden with 3 fingers of pure white head, dissipates slowly

S - lots of citrus, some bitterness and piny hops,

T - more hoppy and less citrus then the nose would suggest, but very nice with hops very big up front with a mild malt backbone

M - fairly thick, oily, and sticky. good amount of carbonation, not much alcohol burn

O - Excellent AIPA, super hoppy as the name would suggest. I am very happy that O'so decided to bottle this after having it a couple of times on tap.

Edit: I think I was a bit over excited to try this one on initial review. This reflects my more "down to earth" objective review.

03-10-2012 01:41:16 | More by ncketchum
brew3crew

4.4/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at captain mikes on my first adventure to wisconsin

A-hazy yellow with a nice white frothy head that sticks around for awhile

S-great citrus smell. Leaves my mouth watering

T-follows the nose with the citrus. Very sticky as well.

m- medium body and smooth with a nice lingering hop bitterness

o-nice little find. Very solid ipa I would go back for seconds

08-09-2011 00:12:40 | More by brew3crew
Prostman81

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Had this on tap at the Mission Grille in Sister Bay, WI.

This beer had a terrific hop aroma, heavy with citrus and pine. The aromas carry over into the taste as well, with perhaps even an emphasis on even further citrus. I'd have to say it almost tasted sweet, but I could've been confusing that actually with the citrus notes.

Mouthfeel was decent, although rather watery. No bite from either hops, yeast, or malt. Color/appearance was your run of the mill pale ale.

A terrific beer find, which I understand that the brewery has extremely limited distribution, and this offering only currently on tap. If you can try this one out, you definitely won't be disappointed.

I

07-22-2011 05:06:10 | More by Prostman81
burnheartsMKE

Wisconsin

I poured it into my favorite glass and settled my nose on the rim for a good two minutes of inhalation; fresh summer fruit salad flooded my mind, too much melon (it's the one fruit I wish wasn't added to every damn fruit salad). It's like diced strawberries and grapefruit wedges got all mushy wading in the melon juice. A wisps of cotton candy wafting through... the State Fair.

On the tongue mostly grapefruit, tangerine and marshmallow, but I also get a well-hidden skunk; sun-stroked hoppiness. Lots of bitter kind of overwhelms me at first, but as I drink, and it warms, a truer essence appears.

This beer is the kid who, unruly & defiant, runs away from his folks at the fair. He cashes in all of his tickets on fruit-flavored jawbreakers, gums, deep-fried this & thats, cotton candy & unlimited ride on the Whizzer. Hours pass, faces warp and freedom turns into loneliness. With the help of some volunteers and his tail between his legs, he finds his worried parents who are relieved that he is safe. He buries his crying face into his mother's bare leg as the sun sets. All three walked back through the overfilled parking to their car when dad looks at mom, messes the little knuckle-head's hair and smiles.

03-23-2011 05:00:52 | More by burnheartsMKE
Ek0nomik

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured In: English pint glass
Had on tap at the Malt House

Appearance: The pour was an amber and bronze color with two fingers of creamy head. Splashes of lace cover the side of the glass above the bend of the pint glass. The beer is slightly hazy.

Smell: This is going to be a wonderful IPA. Dank, herbal hops including grass and pine playing alongside orange peel, grapefruit and mango. There's very little malt sitting in the nose, which I am quite okay with.

Taste: A bit of malt shows up on the palate, but it isn't loaded with sweet caramel malt like many of its sisters in the category. It has some slightly sweet pale malt resting in the background, but the hops push it out of the way every time. More earthy hops shine through along with more citrus hops including grapefruit and mango.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, and the carbonation was a bit too high in my opinion.

Drinkability: I had two pints, and my palate some destroyed afterward. Luckily, I didn't want anything else to drink, so I was quite fine with the results. I asked the bartender if this was coming in bottles, and from the sounds of it it's keg only. They really need to put this inside bottles.

12-20-2010 01:29:05 | More by Ek0nomik
emerge077

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Three drafts at Bomb Shelter in Milwaukee... wow, this is great stuff. Now if only O'So would bottle it. Hop Whoopin' comes across like the IPA version of Lupulin Maximus DIPA, coming out next week for it's annual release.

Hazy saturated orange pour, very creamy texture to the foam. It fluffed up in a convex dome above the surface of the glass. As it was sipped, concentric rings of lace formed. The head never faded, very impressive.

Intense tropical and citrus aroma, mango, melon, orange, resiny and catty. Very dank and resinous, a true hop bomb. I found myself just sitting there inhaling it, even when not taking a sip.

A rush of bitter hop oil, raw orange peel, pure lupulin essence. Dry in the finish, but almost sweet in the middle from the concentrated citrus, and to a lesser extent the malt in the background. Light bodied, low to medium carbonation. Pure hop juice delivery vehicle. Amazing stuff that hopefully gets bottled one day.

11-15-2010 00:43:06 | More by emerge077
cdkrenz

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

I'm told the only spot you'll be able to enjoy this brew is at the brewery in their taproom. Hopefully that changes because this is a brew everyone should be able to sample... even if you can't make it to P-lover.

A - Red body with a thick, frothy off-white head. It leaves a very nice lacing as it recedes.

S - The aroma of hops are prevalent. They consist of citrusy grapefruit.

T - The flavors match the scent. Tons of citrusy grapefruit hops. This is a great tasting IPA. Loaded with hops but well balanced against the malt to create and allow the hops to shine rather than overwhelm.

M - It feels as a good India Pale Ale should... thick, sticky and even slightly chewy.

~ This is a very good beer and I hope the folks at O'so continue to brew it. If they don't, now is the time to head on over to get your Whoopin'!

09-26-2010 15:13:37 | More by cdkrenz