Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hop Whoopin - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

Hop WhoopinHop Whoopin

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

From notes on 10/31/13

Pretty good. Poured nice cloudy brownish orange with a very big frothy white head. Very very bitter. Lots of grapefruit flavor. Very nice IPA.

3.54/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a HUGE, dense, resiny head that clings vigorously to life (and the side of my glass). Big notes of citrus and a little pine in the background. Slightly hazy, golden color. Starts extremely bitter with a punch of pine sap (and a touch of caramel in the background). Builds in bitterness...and then just VANISHES. Smooth, biscuity malt comes through, but then the hops come back in for the finish! The finish is wonderful. A nice, pleasant pine on top of smooth malt.

This one is interesting. It starts off INTENSE and almost unpleasant, but then just converts into a smooth, wonderful finish.
What a wild ride!

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a cervoise glass

Pours a medium, fairly clear golden color capped with a two finger clean, white head. Average retention, with some light lacing. Piney hops upfront with some citrus accents. Pine and bitter citrus rind immediately, fairly dry through the midpalate. Finishes dry and fairly bitter. Slick and light bodied, crisp carbonation. A dry, piney IPA. Crisp and refreshing.

4.02/5  rDev +3.1%

Dense head with sticky lacing. Kinda a murky cider appearance.

Aromas of resinous pine, grapefruit rind and weed . No fruity esters or malt sweetness to speak of.

Taste is orangey bitter and earthy. Bitterness grows on the palate and backdrops light caramel malts. Finish is vegetal, bitter and dry. No juicy fruits, but plenty-o-weed.

Somewhat oily mouthfeel and light carbonation. I'd like to dry out the lacing, scrape it off the glass and see how it smokes.

I was expecting more from reading the reviews. This is a straight forward hoppy beer-no frills. Weediest IPA I've had. It is very smooth and palatable. No problem finishing the sixer. Bitter lovers-this ones for you to give a shot. I'm glad I did. It's not just a good time, but a Whoopin time.

3.72/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy straw color with a good inch of coarse, rocky suds--fantastic head. The aroma smells of grapefruit, lemon, tropical fruit (guava?), and suggestions of bready malt.

The taste is, unsurprisingly, hop forward, but not over the top. The bitterness is resinous, peppery, and only slightly citric. Biscuity malt affords some balance, while vague hints of tropical fruit add a touch of nuance. Medium body and carbonation afford a creamy mouthfeel that complements the taste nicely.

Overall, this is a solid IPA that comes off pretty balanced for what it is. The bitterness is complex enough to be interesting, and the beautiful presentation certainly doesn’t hurt.

2.91/5  rDev -25.4%

A. Straw appearance with a white, light head of two fingers. Leaves a nice amount of lacing.

S. Pungent aroma of garlic and onion - a telltale sign of summit hops. Not off putting but not my cup of tea either.

T. The onion on the nose unfortunately carries over to the palate. There is also some pine. Finishes with a good amount of lingering bitterness.

M. Fairly light bodied, okay carbonation.

O. I had high hopes for this beer - I would love to find an O'so beer that I can buy on a regular basis. But I have been foiled once again. Too much onion for my tastes.

1.72/5  rDev -55.9%

Poured into a pint it is a very nice looking hazy peach color.

Ok the smell is where I began to get worried. I don't wanna say it but I gotta marijuana, garlic and onion. I love garlic and onion but not in my beer.

Taste was worse then the smell to me. It was all skunky onion and garlic and I could not get anything besides that.

Mouthfeel to be fair was decent and nicely carbonated an smooth.

It is nothing against O'so I have loved everything I have had from them. I am actually now having a Hopdinger to cleanse my palate. I do not know if this was a off batch but this was my first drain pour in over a year.

When I started the best IPA in your state thread everyone from WI if only O'so would bottle Hopwhoopin so I was real excited but man, not what I was hopin for.

3.57/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a wine glass

A: Pours a hazy copper-orange color. There is a bright white head of one finger which slowly bubbles away.

S: I would classify this as a West Coast style IPA. The aroma is very citrus forward, which is reinforced by a medley of tropical fruit scents. Some pine and an interesting herbal/grass follow. There is a certain malt sweetness as well, with light caramel rounding out the aroma.

T: The flavor is lacking compared to the aroma. The citrus and tropical fruits are nearly non-existent. The grass/pine/herb flavor persists and is moderately enjoyable in its own right. Based on the aroma I had expected a sweeter beer, but the malt is mild here and contributes little. Overall, the flavor is focus squarely on the moderately bitter hops. The finish is lingering and is a combination of these hops with a touch of alcohol.

M: Medium-light body. Carbonation is relatively low so it can come across as watery. A slight oiliness as well.

O: Mediocre. I had expected more from the aroma, but the flavor was a real let down.

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured into a 7oz taster.

Hazy yellow pour. Several fingers of off white head. Nose is pine and citrus. This beer is incredibly dry on the tongue. Citrus really didn't port over from the smell to the taste. It was just bleh. I expected some form of sweetness but I was met with a hand to the face.

I've had other O'so stuff that I've really enjoyed. This, not so much. After my initial glass I came back to it later in the tasting to see if I was off. The results were the same. Ultimately I dumped it out. Not awful, but borderline.

4.31/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a solid beer. I had it out of a growler fresh. It has a really dank smell on he nose. Almost like pot.
Taste is hoppy but vegetal in a way. Really good.
This beer kind of femmes me of Lagunitas Sucks. I thinks it's a little underrated.

4.25/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured softly into an Imperial pint glass.

A - Nice medium sized white head. The foam is comprised of mostly tight small bubbles. Good clarity on a golden brew. Plenty of lacing.

S - Fresh hop aroma. Grapefruit is there but also a lot of pine to it. Faint little bit of base malt.

T - This beer is jam packed full of hops beginning to end leading me to believe they used a lot of "hop bursting". Flavor is bright and citrusy. No real sign of malt anywhere. For 95 IBUs, this beer doesn't taste overly bitter. Hop finish is pleasant and moderately lasting.

M - Medium to medium-full bodied, medium carbonation, dry.

O - This beer was quite impressive. I really enjoyed how much flavor the hops produced not so much bitterness. Aroma was good and mouthfeel was right on par.

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

Finally out in bottles!!

Served chilled in a Duvel tulip

A - pour is a hazy golden with 3 fingers of pure white head, dissipates slowly

S - lots of citrus, some bitterness and piny hops,

T - more hoppy and less citrus then the nose would suggest, but very nice with hops very big up front with a mild malt backbone

M - fairly thick, oily, and sticky. good amount of carbonation, not much alcohol burn

O - Excellent AIPA, super hoppy as the name would suggest. I am very happy that O'so decided to bottle this after having it a couple of times on tap.

Edit: I think I was a bit over excited to try this one on initial review. This reflects my more "down to earth" objective review.

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured In: English pint glass
Had on tap at the Malt House

Appearance: The pour was an amber and bronze color with two fingers of creamy head. Splashes of lace cover the side of the glass above the bend of the pint glass. The beer is slightly hazy.

Smell: This is going to be a wonderful IPA. Dank, herbal hops including grass and pine playing alongside orange peel, grapefruit and mango. There's very little malt sitting in the nose, which I am quite okay with.

Taste: A bit of malt shows up on the palate, but it isn't loaded with sweet caramel malt like many of its sisters in the category. It has some slightly sweet pale malt resting in the background, but the hops push it out of the way every time. More earthy hops shine through along with more citrus hops including grapefruit and mango.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, and the carbonation was a bit too high in my opinion.

Drinkability: I had two pints, and my palate some destroyed afterward. Luckily, I didn't want anything else to drink, so I was quite fine with the results. I asked the bartender if this was coming in bottles, and from the sounds of it it's keg only. They really need to put this inside bottles.

4.26/5  rDev +9.2%

Oh my. Hop Whoopin indeed! Massive hop aroma. Tropical fruit salad; tangerines, pineapple, mango and green onion, yes green onion. Yikes! In terms of impressive hop aroma, this IPA stands with the best of them, the bouquet fills the room. Tastes like hops as well. Imagine that. Strange dank hop flavour. Not unpleasant. Pricks the tongue like pineapple juice, green onion there as well. Malt? Sure, I guess. Dry and bitter. Perfect mouth feel and appearance. Sure, this beer has that onion/garlic/chive thing going on. If I had to guess, I'd say Summit hops are used extensively. That being said, I've experienced similar flavours and aromas from Amarillo, Citra and Columbus hops as well. It seems to mellow as the glass drains. Really hoppy, world class in that regard. Strange, unique, not typical. Works for me.

Appearance: Pours a light caramel brown with orangish hues…sort of a hazy middle, it’s color is dense and mildly transparent…a pinky finger of off white head forms and remains…head does thin a bit, but livens up with a couple of swirls…this is a good lookin’ brew…(4/5)

Smell: Tons of fresh citrus hops aroma, with orange, mango and pineapple bursting right away…I could smell all that citrus as I was pouring it…sweetish caramel malts balance things out a bit, but this is an inviting citrus hop bomb…there is a touch of piney resin as well…very lively and fresh…(4/5)

Taste: Yum! Whole cone, citrus hops flavor up front…very fresh and flavorful…orange, tangerine, pineapple and mango all apparent…malts are sweet, caramel and lightly pale…flavor isn’t explosive, rather subtle and clean…there isn’t too much hops bite or bitterness, though both are present...it’s just a simple, easy drinking flavor that stands out without being overly complicated…much like the nose, there’s a touch of piney resin showing late and becomes more apparent the more I drink…very well balanced…(4/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium carbonation…brew fluffs up bringing orange/tangerine bitterness to the palate…very fresh, light, crisp and clean…finishes with light citrus bitterness, but it’s very soft and has more flavor than bitterness bite…(4/5)

Overall: This is a solid brew, consider it a hopped up pale ale…the flavor is very fresh and well balanced…there is a noticeable lack of bitterness and bite for all the hops, which is nice and makes this a more sessioinable brew than a typical IPA is…it comes in 4-packs and carries a slightly heavy price tag, but it’s worth it for a true beer aficionado or hop head…I’ve only had two O’so Brewing Company’s brews, both hops heavy and both very tasty…if you see this come around or in a friend’s fridge, I recommend grabbing some for yourself…a very good brew, perfect for watching your Maize and Blue whoop up on Syracuse…(4/5)

I poured it into my favorite glass and settled my nose on the rim for a good two minutes of inhalation; fresh summer fruit salad flooded my mind, too much melon (it's the one fruit I wish wasn't added to every damn fruit salad). It's like diced strawberries and grapefruit wedges got all mushy wading in the melon juice. A wisps of cotton candy wafting through... the State Fair.

On the tongue mostly grapefruit, tangerine and marshmallow, but I also get a well-hidden skunk; sun-stroked hoppiness. Lots of bitter kind of overwhelms me at first, but as I drink, and it warms, a truer essence appears.

This beer is the kid who, unruly & defiant, runs away from his folks at the fair. He cashes in all of his tickets on fruit-flavored jawbreakers, gums, deep-fried this & thats, cotton candy & unlimited ride on the Whizzer. Hours pass, faces warp and freedom turns into loneliness. With the help of some volunteers and his tail between his legs, he finds his worried parents who are relieved that he is safe. He buries his crying face into his mother's bare leg as the sun sets. All three walked back through the overfilled parking to their car when dad looks at mom, messes the little knuckle-head's hair and smiles.

4.29/5  rDev +10%

12 oz. bottle, purchased locally in a 4-pack ($9.99). Bottled on February 22nd, 26 days ago. Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Cloudy, amber, with 1-1/4" fluffy head that settles quickly and leaves a consistent sheet of lacing; steady effervescence.

S: Strong, fresh hops detected as soon as the bottle cap is removed; very close to experience of smelling whole hop cones; piney, grapefruit, fruit.

T: Very fresh pine resin, bright citrus and peach, apricot, followed by quite intense bitterness that levels and blends with the other flavors; no alcohol detected.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation; rich and smooth feel; dry finish; heat is well masked.

O: This was tasted beside a 3 mo. old bottle of O'so Lupulin Maximus, which tasted sweet and "mature" in contrast to Hop Whoopin'. This is a very good, fresh, hop-intense IPA that tastes bigger than the 7% ABV led me to expect. O'so is clearly unafraid of pushing boundaries.

4.04/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- pours a golden color with a slight haze. Half a finger white head that dissipates quickly.

S- Big resiney earth tones, fruits of pineapple and grapefruit.

T- strong orange rind, grapefruit and lemon grass

M- the carbonation is a bit strong I feel for an American ipa. Finish is clean with an assertive but soothing bitterness as expected for 95 ibus. Leaves you wanting more

O- Well done big and intense ipa. If you love over the top hops and drink ability hop whoopin is a solid choice.

4.76/5  rDev +22.1%

Awesome IPA - the label is a warning though.

Look: Cloudy straw yellow.

Smell: Huge mango, papaya, and melon aromas. Hints of pine tar and lemon round it out

Taste: The tropical fruits rush in and fill the palate. A nice, innocent, malt backbone comes into play but the real treat to this beer is the monstrous dank hop flavor that comes in underneath it all. This is a real showcase of a single hop varietal. I love it; its definitely one of the finer IPAs I've had out of Wisconsin. Depending on perception and one's palate, the dank flavor of this beer - something that i find intriguing - can be thought of as a mix of grilled onion, a hint of roasted garlic with a bit of caraway. The tropical fruits are dominant enough to usher this flavor through and compliment it perfectly. I wouldn't let this one sit around though. Once those tropical aroma and flavor additions fade, this beer could get ugly in a hurry.

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Had this on tap at the Mission Grille in Sister Bay, WI.

This beer had a terrific hop aroma, heavy with citrus and pine. The aromas carry over into the taste as well, with perhaps even an emphasis on even further citrus. I'd have to say it almost tasted sweet, but I could've been confusing that actually with the citrus notes.

Mouthfeel was decent, although rather watery. No bite from either hops, yeast, or malt. Color/appearance was your run of the mill pale ale.

A terrific beer find, which I understand that the brewery has extremely limited distribution, and this offering only currently on tap. If you can try this one out, you definitely won't be disappointed.

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Cloudy pale yellow color, with white head that dissipates rapidly. When you put your nose down in the glass it literally slaps your face with its big citrus flavor. Lemon, lime, and grapefruit combined with a thick piney aroma. Taste is phenomenal. Absolutely one of the best IPAs I have ever had! Taste resembles the smell of balsam fir trees, and reminds me of... no,... not Christmas,... but shearing Christmas trees as a teenager. Mouthfeel is a lot like the nose over the top, slap you up, I AM an IPA. You will pucker up on this beer.

Overall, I would absolutely seek this beer out, because until you find something else like it, you won't find anything else like it.

4.37/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served from nitro tap in an american pint glass

Beautiful hazy yellow color that was especially creamy looking from the nitro character.

I haven't tried the regular version of this (not nitro) so I can't compare tastes but I loved the smooth hoppy flavor of this beer.

Had a slightly floral smell to it and a wonderful mouthfeel.

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very hazy blend of some combination of amber, orange, and gold. The smell is mostly pine with a faint hint of something floral and citrusy. I get a smooth, very full mouthfeel along with a huge bite of intense piney bitterness. The pine carries into the aftertaste. Bitter and piney are the two words to describe this beer, and you will love it or hate it depending on how you feel about those two words.

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was bottled exactly one week before I tasted it. Pours a nice clean dark amber and a 1-finger head.

Smell is pungent pine and onions.

I love IPAs and am a confirmed hophead. Also, I love Wisconsin beers. I wanted so much to love this beer. But to me it was disappointing because the hops gave it a weird oniony/garlic taste. Maybe I was expecting too much, had set myself up.

Mouthfeel is a creamy coating that lingers. Very nice.

Overall, whatever hops they were using, god knows. This was one of the strangest IPAs I have ever tasted. O'so is a good brewery and I expect good things from them in the future.

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance: Can't ask for a better looking IPA. Bright amber with a little haze from yeast sediment. Medium white head that lingers.

Smell: Lots of citrus aromas, most notably grapefruit. Also some sweetness from the malt. Really clean. The aromas meld really well. Almost verging on fruity.

Taste: Tastes much like it smells. Up front citrus with tangerine and grapefruit. Bitterness coats the mouth throughout with a little bitterness toward the back of the mouth. A little different than other IPAs in that respect. A little piney and resiny as well.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and without any noticeable abrasive or astringent notes. Surprisingly easy to drink for a malty IPA.

Overall: Very tasty in my opinion. As a single malt and single hop beer (S.M.A.S.H.), I'm impressed by the balance they were able to attain. But it works really well with the hops they used (Summit apparently) as it's not overwhelmed by citrus. I'd say it rivals some of the West Coast IPAs that everyone loves (I'd say it could easily go toe to toe with anything Lagunitas does). Highly recommended!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast