Night Train - Bourbon Barrel Aged - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

good

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Vierenner on 01-31-2011)
Reviews by Stevedore:

I apologize for the brevity of the review, but the 2012 bottle is clearly infected. I had this fresh, which was very nice, but after a month the remainder of the bottles I had were clearly falling off. I got to try a pour of a 2012 bottle on 11/1/2014 and it is most certainly not worth pursuing, unfortunately. Hopefully the BA Imperial Night Train does not follow the route that its predecessor took.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

4.5/5  rDev +23%

1.75/5  rDev -52.2%

3.04/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A bit scared after reading a recent review regarding a potentially infected bottle. Figured I'd get to this one sooner rather than later just in case. Poured from 750 ml bottle into my Duvel tulip on a night full of thunderstorms and humidity after sitting out of the fridge for 15 minutes.

A: A very dark, dark brown bordering on blackness with a finger and a half's worth of dark cream head. The foam slowly dissipates leaving behind some really thick lacing, resulting in a thin skim of bubbly head.

S: A bit one-dimensional. I'm really only picking up on the barrel notes here with a hint of roasted malts and chocolate. I wonder how much more complex this would have gotten in the bottle for some more time and am eager to see how it changes as it warms (which will happen quickly given the weather).

T: Just as I was starting to think the previous reviewer must have gotten a bad bottle, I'm starting to pick up on the same problems. I'm met with a subtle tartness that fades into the barrel from the nose. On the back of the tongue, this is not a bad beer at all, with strong hints of vanilla and milk chocolate, but I can't imagine that this beer was meant to have sour notes.

M: This drinks pretty well, though it is a bit thin. I realize that it's a porter, but I would still like a bit more body, as I was expecting a creamier texture given the thickness of the head. With the base beer having an ABV of 6.7, I can't imagine this beer's ABV is much higher. With this information, I suppose one could drink this down pretty easily for a while, though I wouldn't necessarily want to.

O: Talk about two different beers in the same product. I was excited to get into this brew after enjoying the appearance and smell, but am really turned off after having actually tasted it. If you have a bottle, you might as well get into it now while there's still a chance it hasn't started to go South.

Night Train - Bourbon Barrel Aged from O'so Brewing Company & Tap House