Night Train - Bourbon Barrel Aged - O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

good

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Vierenner on 01-31-2011)

4.5/5  rDev +23%

3.04/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A bit scared after reading a recent review regarding a potentially infected bottle. Figured I'd get to this one sooner rather than later just in case. Poured from 750 ml bottle into my Duvel tulip on a night full of thunderstorms and humidity after sitting out of the fridge for 15 minutes.

A: A very dark, dark brown bordering on blackness with a finger and a half's worth of dark cream head. The foam slowly dissipates leaving behind some really thick lacing, resulting in a thin skim of bubbly head.

S: A bit one-dimensional. I'm really only picking up on the barrel notes here with a hint of roasted malts and chocolate. I wonder how much more complex this would have gotten in the bottle for some more time and am eager to see how it changes as it warms (which will happen quickly given the weather).

T: Just as I was starting to think the previous reviewer must have gotten a bad bottle, I'm starting to pick up on the same problems. I'm met with a subtle tartness that fades into the barrel from the nose. On the back of the tongue, this is not a bad beer at all, with strong hints of vanilla and milk chocolate, but I can't imagine that this beer was meant to have sour notes.

M: This drinks pretty well, though it is a bit thin. I realize that it's a porter, but I would still like a bit more body, as I was expecting a creamier texture given the thickness of the head. With the base beer having an ABV of 6.7, I can't imagine this beer's ABV is much higher. With this information, I suppose one could drink this down pretty easily for a while, though I wouldn't necessarily want to.

O: Talk about two different beers in the same product. I was excited to get into this brew after enjoying the appearance and smell, but am really turned off after having actually tasted it. If you have a bottle, you might as well get into it now while there's still a chance it hasn't started to go South.

Missed this by about a half-hour at the release in January & didn't shed but a small, internal tear. Bottles popped up just over the WI border so thought I'd take a shot. 750ML bottle split with my wife.

First, the wax. What the fuck? It's a beer, not Fort Knox or your daughter's virginity. Slow & steady, after about five minutes, I achieve penetration. Victo....shit! The bottle starts prematurely ejecting its black darkness, bubbling over slowly. Pretty sure it's not supposed to do that. The pour is over-carbed, seriously. Porter black. Nose borders on the suspicious. Roast, bourbon, & a nice salad bar side of fruit. Don't like the hints this one is dropping.

Bourbon Barrel Night Train, I'm glad I didn't buy a bunch of you at the release: thanks to all you greedy beer geeks. There's a nice bourbon & vanilla tilt here, but it's at the back of the throat, & subtle. Big roast. Unfortunately, there's also an acidic, slightly sour fruit tang in the middle that doesn't bode well for its long-term prospects (or short-term, for me). Really takes the shine off the barrel & nearly drowned the base beer in the sink. The foul gets worse as it warms. I'm not going to finish it. Ditto my wife.

I'll go ahead & say it: this beer is infected. Drink them now if you have them, they're not going to get any better. Wish I'd had it fresh, because this is a lousy beer now.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

I apologize for the brevity of the review, but the 2012 bottle is clearly infected. I had this fresh, which was very nice, but after a month the remainder of the bottles I had were clearly falling off. I got to try a pour of a 2012 bottle on 11/1/2014 and it is most certainly not worth pursuing, unfortunately. Hopefully the BA Imperial Night Train does not follow the route that its predecessor took.

3.74/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to scribe594 for sharing this one during the Churchill's weekend festivities.

Pours an almost opaque super dark brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, bourbon, and wood. Taste is much the same with a cocoa flavor and an alcohol kick on the finish. There is a mild amount of woody bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that has a decent barrel aged presence but is nothing too special in my opinion.

4.01/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Barrel Aged Night Train

Enjoyed on Tap at Benno's. This was served in a 10 oz glass, and was pretty well chilled.

A) Even with the lighting what it was in the bar, I would say this was a very dark brown brew. There was a thin tan head, that decided to stick around. No lacing noted...

S) A fair amount of roasted malt, coffee, a little vanilla sweetness, and a touch of the bourbon. The aroma intensified a bit on the last few sips, so I really enjoyed it more as it warmed up.

T) Regular Night Train really hits you with a coffee upfront. The coffee is definitely noted here as well, but there is no mistaking the bourbon barrel. A hint of chocolate and a little bit of vanilla. I was pretty surprised at the ABV of this beer, which is only a tick higher than regular Night Train.

M) Perhaps a bit thin for my liking but that is mostly made up for by the decent flavors. Again, better as it warms up.

O) I think Night Train might be my favorite O'so offering, so I was really looking forward to trying the barrel aged version. I was not disappointed, but still feel that I am somewhat partial to the original. Definitely worth a try...

1.75/5  rDev -52.2%