Mission IPA - Mission Brewery

Mission Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: Stoneman78 on 11-04-2007

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
4.54/5  rDev +23%

Gadzooks! Where did this beer come from? Was it a gift/extra in a trade? Did I buy it locally? Did my cousin bring it for me? I am losing my mind. Please accept my apologies if it came from you.

From the bottle: "Fraught with hops complex, vigorous and virile. Endowed with a subtle malt character for a sturdy and balanced ale. Our Award-Winning interpretation of the popular style reflects both the history of the IPA and the distinctive and relatively modern American version. Cascade and Centennial hops are employed generously and the result is an earthy ale that is most drinkable."

My pour created a finger of tawny head with rather low retention that created some nice lacing as it fell. Color was a hazy, murky orangish-yellow. The nose hit me with an explosion of minty, piney hops and my salivary glands kicked into high gear. I am a Hops Junkie and I readily cop to it. I am no longer under the Hops Thrall as I once was, but I need to maintenance drink the occasional IPA to fend off withdrawal symptoms, lest I shake like a dog passing a bone. The mouthfeel was full, approaching creamy and while I did not achieve an outright bone, I have to cop to a chubby. This was what I was craving - minty, piney hops just running wild across my tongue, leaving nothing in their wake, not unlike the Scrubbing Bubbles I used in my shower the other day. The horror of yet another Minhas beer began to fade into memory and I was no longer jonesin'. Cue The Forgotten Rebels and their Top 40 Deprogramming hit (sort of) "Surfin' On Hops-oin". Man, Sid & Nancy got nothin' on this hip cat. They know how to make a score worthwhile out there in Cali. The finish finished me. My tongue lolled and my eyes rolled back in their sockets. If that is not your idea of a good AIPA, then I feel sorry for you, amigo mio. (1,813 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +22.5%

Excellent IPA! Served with a nice thick, creamy, foamy, cream-colored head that settled to a creamy (ouch - what's a synonym for creamy?) cover and lots of fine, sheeting lace. Color is a clear amber with loads of tiny bubble trails. Aroma is an aromatic blend of hop and caramel malt with a hint of fruit. Flavor's like nose, has limited sweetness, perfect balance between bitter, carbonic tang in front, with that sweet just to compliment. Body and carbonation perfect. Finish is a little long and pleasant, very drinkable, and only the suggestion of alcohol. I want more! (574 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Had on tap at the old toad in Rochester. Pours a golden color with a hint of orange. Not very much head, weak retention and no lacing. Beautiful color, however.

Has a great citrusy smell of hops.

Tastes very much the same- citrusy hops with a mellow malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel is good- light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. This is a very enjoyable IPA. (367 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +22%

This is an amazing beer...I love the smooth finish...sweet yet no smack of alcohol or bitterness...well balanced for that much 9.25% alcohol...I can't really find any typical disappointments to this beer...the only criticism is that I prefer a slightly more pronounced hop in the citrus flavor...I would serve to my buddies with pride. (335 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

Mission IPA.
I drank a lot of these while I was in San Diego last year. It was pretty much my fall back beer. I thought of it as kind of an amped up Sierra Nevada pale ale. I can't remember the place though ~ isn't that odd? I had no idea where Mission was from at the time (it was just another Cali beer to me), but looking at a map now, I could have probably walked there from my hotel!

Appearance: Hazy golden-orange body beneath a full head of frothy off-white foam that holds remarkably well and leaves behind sheets of spotty and streaky lace.

Aroma: Not overly blown, but decidedly hoppy. Gently citrusy and softly pine-like hop notes amidst biscuity malt.

Flavor: Tightly combined flavors of biscuity malt and piney, leafy, and citrusy hops around a bold bitterness. Grassy and floral notes appear in the dry, lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a dextrinous edge. Crisp carbonation gently bristles the tongue.

Drinkability: It's not a slap you in the face IPA, it's a little too malty for that. Neither is it a punch you in the face IPA... it's not quite bitter and hoppy enough. BUT, it's an IPA to be sure! That said, it's not overly bitter and it doesn't display any raspy or overly resinous hops that might put some tasters off. It offers a solid, gently sweet malt base that's part of its showcase, but they've kept it balanced. That leaves it fairly accessible to a wide audience while still offering more than enough character for seasoned tasters. Nicely done. (1,495 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

From notes on 03/17/12:
Code on bottom of bottle: 15/22/304/11/0548/S; Poured in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A - One inch off-white creamy and fairly fluffy head with pretty good retention; Light amber and caramel colored with a slight haze within the glass; Good showing of speckled lacing left behind

S - Nice balance of malts and hops here; For the hops, there's lots of grapefruit, some apricot, and just a bit of floral and spice; As for the malts, there's sweet caramel, biscuity, and toasty notes present

T - Good balance of malts and hops here as well, but both have enough presence to hold their own; Lots of sweet, sugary grapefruit with a bit of citrus, pine, and tropical fruit, and just a faint wave of bitterness; Plenty of toasty, biscuity, and caramel malts step forward that mesh really well with the hops; Aftertaste is very pleasant that still shows the malt/hop balance

M - Good amount of carbonation; Medium bodied; Leaves the mouth a little sticky and pretty dry

O - This southern California IPA showcases a much more balanced flavor than many of its west coast counterparts. However, I think this brew packs enough hops that, while balanced by the malts, still satisfy my craving for hoppy flavor. Not only is there a great balance, but the hops and malts really play off each other well to make the sum greater than the parts. I don't normally see Mission offerings in my area, so I wouldn't mind grabbing a few more of these before they disappear for good. (1,490 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

22oz. bomber with a very cool looking label and no freshness/bottling codes or dates. It pours a coppery-orange with good carbonation and clarity. Achieved a two-finger lofty beige head that retains well, with a mildly aggressive pour. Curtains of sticky lace.

Mildly sweet malt laced with citrus, a little pine and some earthiness standout in the nose. Just a trace of alcohol as it warms as well.

The taste is sweet and fruity citrus at first, then turning a bit piney and very earthy with a bittery finish. A herbal hop kind of bitter finish. Well balanced with suited carbonation. A fine tasting ale.

Medium body with a moderate dose of alcohol, I think it's quite sessionable at 6.8% ABV. Another nice IPA for the hot Summer months ahead...look for it locally. (768 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

Tap @ O'Brien's. Pours clear orange-gold with a frothy white head and medium lacing. Fresh, clean hop aroma. Mostly grapefruit and orange with an earthy resin. Sticky hops in the taste mixed with a light biscuit finish. Strong hop tastes without being a wannabe IIPA. One of the best. (284 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

A: This poured a nearly clear gold with a little off-white head.
S: It smelled like grapefruit and pineapple, with some honey and mango.
T: It tasted the same as the scent, with lots of sweet tropical hops. It had a clean and bitter aftertaste with a little sweetness.
M: It was somewhat thick with moderate carbonation. Nice body.
D: This was a very nice IPA. I loved the scent and taste...nearly ideal for me personally. The body was solid, and the finish was very smooth, so it was super easy to drink. Highly enjoyable brew that I would definitely recommend. (562 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Served in a pint glass to the brim with no head at O'Brien's. The color is a beautiful rich clear orange with a lot of bubbles.

The smell is VERY volatile with tons of citrus and a little pine. The taste is pretty citrusy too but I thought I could pick up a bit of piny hops. Lot of orange citrus comes through and is the dominant taste to me. The bitterness is one of the highest I've had for such a citrusy beer, which I usually find to be lower on the bitter side. This beer was packed with both aroma and flavor, I liked the flavor though there was just something about itthat kept me from loving it. I would definitely order it again though. (648 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Clear copper/gold in color, with amoderate head of bone-white foam.
Aroma-Nice whiff of piney, citrussy hops
Taste-Big hop flavors of Cascade and Centennial, balanced nicely with a dose of toasted malt. Citrus-rind bitterness and juiciness flow through to the finish. Snappy and tasty. A good match for spicy fare. (369 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm drinking a 32 oz can. Popping the can releases a big whiff of resiny hops but then it settles down to rich malt and white bread aromas. Pours hazy gold under a 2” white foam cap with a very light gold tint and very fine, uniform bubbles. It quickly settles down to a thick lacy foam. It attacks the palate with big melon to tropical fruit and then finishes with a long lasting drying, slightly astringent bitterness that is pretty close to grapefruit rind and lingers on, slowly mellowing out with traces of sweet berry. It has a very creamy texture with a very fine bead. (578 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Color- hazy apricot.

Aroma- sweet nectarine, like a fruity butterscotch.

Taste- Starts buttery and smooth, orange and nectarine notes, finishing mild with a lingering balanced tartness.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted December 2012. (319 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

On tap, poured into a 16 oz American pint.

Pours a very nice, medium, ½” thick head, with an off white color.
The color is a medium dark amber, quite appealing and true to type.

The aroma hits you with medium distinct, spicy, hops, with a piney and bitter character. This is followed by medium distinct, rich, malt with a toasted character. Really a very pleasant and enjoyable nose.

Crisp, bitter, entry on the palate of distinct hops, with some light pine and even more distinct resin character, bitter and delicious. Followed by medium distinct, rich, resin tasting hops, West Coast in character. Followed by medium distinct, rich, refined, typical West Coast toasty malt. Ale yeast and a spicy character finish off the flavor. The body is medium, balanced with nice medium carbonation and very lightly sweet aftertaste. Quite tasty.

Medium long finish of bitter hops and toasty malt, some hop oils linger with the malt holding its own

A very good and very enjoyable IPA. While it could be said there is nothing exceptional here it is a very solid, tasty, and very drinkable IPA.
A session or “house ale” for sure.
Recommended. (1,142 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +14.6%

A-orange with a thick cream colored head

S-spicy, hoppy, and herbal. It's a decent scent and a strong scent.

T-comes in with a very faint taste of herbal hops. Some citrus. It's actually a very decent taste, it's just way too faint.

M-good medium creamy carbonation with a dry finish

O-this is a pretty decent beer. It's very easy drinking, though im not sure id want several in a night. I'd say there's probably always a better ipa to get, though this is absolutely worth the try! (487 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

12/12/2011

On tap at Mission brewery.

A: Transparent yellow gold with a finger of white foam. Lacing is scattered.

S: Big orange and grapefruit notes blend with tangerine, apricot, and mango. Hop profile is great. Malt is light and faintly bready.

T: Moderately bitter with notes of orange flesh and tangerine. Alcohol is well hidden and malt is light. Finishes with a burst of citrus.

M: Lower medium body with lower high carbonation.

Overall: A damn fine IPA. Citrus is bright and expressive. (500 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +13.6%

05/19/09- Purchased at Mollie Stones in Burlingame, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle with no freshness info. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Light amber colored pour with a 3/4 inch head and light lace markings of slight lines and spotting.

Smell- Nice aroma of fresh citrus hops, a bit of pine and a bit of sugar. Also a toasted malty aroma.

Taste- Damn well rounded. Loaded with cascade hops and very fruity with a orange-like flavor. Also a bit sugary sweet and a hint of pine sap. Toasted malt provides a real good base.

Mouthfeel- Good medium carbonation level. Fairly long lasting hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

Drinkability- Very happy with this brew. Great example of the style. Would purchase again in a minute. (741 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +13%

12oz bottle from Abe's of Bethlehem poured into a pint at fridge temp. Very little head quickly fades. Light chill haze although fairly clean. Cool orange hue.

Aroma is very orange and mango. Pleasant and hoppy.

Taste is superbly refreshing... the beautiful aroma was certainly not misleading. Flavor is fairly mellow and kind of reminds me of chamomile. Fairly earthy and certainly HIGHLY palatable.

Mouthfeel is dry, refreshing, and full-bodied. Hop bittering was balanced and artistic.

Overall this is a real solid brew! Next time I'll need to try one closer to cellar temp... Truly an everyday drinker. (610 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +13%

Mission IPA poured a copper golden color with an orange hue to it. One finger of white head that dicipated quickly with a little amount of lacing. I detect a mellow fruitiness of the hops - pretty sweet smelling overall. The taste brings about a sweet first impression from the almost citrusy hops and finishes a little bitter - but perfect. Also tasting a nice subtle bit of malts that balance it out well - not too overwhelming and definitely get the sense that it's a well made IPA. The mouthfeel is smooth up front with a moderate feeling of the carbonation towards the end and also left my mouth moist. Overall this is a solid IPA that Mission has to offer and I'm glad it is finally available to me in stores close by - Sweet!

Enjoy (739 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +13%

A: Pours an amber, copper in color with a good amount of frothy head that dissipates to a thin layer of foam and leaves tons of lacing around the glass. Carbonation levels look good.

S: Smells of grapefruit and citrus with a sweet, bubble gum malt backbone. Maybe some tropical fruits, banana and pineapple. Very interesting aroma for an American IPA, not much pine, almost a candy like quality. Very enticing.

T: Taste follows the aroma pretty well with lots of grapefruit, citrus, fruits and sweet malts up front. Even a bit of candy in there. Quite juicy. The flavor turns bitter towards the backend, but not overly so. Finishes dry with a lovely citrus hop presence.

M: Fairly thin bodied for an IPA, this clocks in on the lighter side of a medium bodied brew. The carbonation level is great with a nice, crisp feel on the tongue and there is a good amount of chewiness. Very drinkable.

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this brew as I've never seen it before and wasn't sure what to expect. As a West coast IPA, it packs enough hops to please, but has a definite malt presence and isn't overwhelmingly hopped, which I enjoyed. I also liked the sweet malt, tropical fruits and candy aspect of the brew which I found quite unique for the style. As always, I loved the predominantly grapefruit and citrus quality of the hops (as opposed to pine) which made this one quite enjoyable and very tasty. I look forward to trying out more of this breweries selection as they have more than piqued my interest. Cheers! (1,515 characters)

This beer won a bronze medal in the American IPA category at the 2007 GABF
A- Pours a murky amber/orange hue, head is small, white, and creamy that is mostly sustaining, fair lacing on the glass
S- Nose is of pine-forward hops (citrus/lemon), and subtle roasted malts
T- Iniital taste is big, bold pine hops, some floral and herbal tones, very subtle malts, finish is dry and bitter with a slight alcohol warming
M- Medium-bodied IPA, oily texture coats the tongue, good carbonation
D- Delicious and smooth IPA with bold hop presence, I would guess this is around 7-8%abv, but I could drink this all night long. (616 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

A - Dark honey, fairly clear, nice off white pillow of a head. Reduces to disk soon, lots of cling lace.

S - Loads of fresh hops.

T - Nice malt, sweet center. Backed up by inviting hop bittering at the end that makes you want another sip.

M - Medium body, nice coating and balance. Good carb.

D - Not too high an ABV, not to overpowering. I could session. (359 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Very good IPA. This beer pours a fairly medium golden-amber color with a good head. The aroma is floral and citric with a healthy caramel malt tone. It's a strong hop nose even for an IPA. The flavor is fairly dry, which I really enjoy. It's not a terribly bitter beer, but there's still a lot of hop flavor. There's a strong but pleasant yeast note. Mission describes it as "earthy," and I would agree with that. The hops are all West coast and well-expressed. I'd love to try more beers from this brewery. (507 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

A - This beer pours a nice clear copper color. It has a fluffy 2-finger slightly off-white head on it. The head has good retention, and it leaves a nice sheet of lace on the glass.

S - There is a nice hop presence, with nice aromas of citrus and pine. There are some nice tropical fruit aromas too. There is some caramel malt and some bready malt in the background.

T - There is a pretty big tropical fruit flavor here. It has nice biscuity and caramel malt backbone on it. There is a nice citrusy, piney hop flavor that imparts a nice amount of bitterness. The finish leaves lingering hop bitterness and lots of fruitiness on the palate.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy, and it has a smooth creamy feel to it. There is some sweetness and a nice amount of hop bitterness.

O - This has good drinkability. I drank the glass quite fast and found myself wanting more. Overall, I think it is a solid IPA, and it has a great fruitiness that I really enjoyed. I recommend trying this one out, I thought it was quite nice. (1,054 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a bright and clear dark orange color with a nice big white head.

Aromas are herbal, with a resiny pine like character, and some sweet citrus notes as well.

Taste is also herbal and quite hoppy. There are some pine, resin, hard sweet candies, and a nice background of creamy caramel malt sweetness. Crisp and snappy finish.

Mouthfeel is good, thick feeling, with nice carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. This is a nice hoppy yet balanced IPA. I'd happily drink another. (482 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last