Mission IPA - Mission Brewery

Mission IPAMission IPA

good

Mission Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: Stoneman78 on 11-04-2007)
3.43/5  rDev -6%

served on tap, in a shaker pint glass.

appears a hazy golden yellow color with soapy white head. aroma is typical of west coast ipas, big hop presence, citrus flavors.

the tap menu described this beer as having a malt backbone to balance it, but I didn't think so. I didn't really pick up much malt in the taste at all. I thought it was a bit thin and lacked balance, definitely room for improvement. moderation carbonation.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Bottles now available in NY state. Cloudy yellow with soapy white head, 3/8 of an inch retained. Some thick lace residue. Slight hop aroma. Smooth mouthfeel, though tongue numbing carbonation. Pleasant enough citrus. Average American IPA. Tongue still numb several minutes later.

4.18/5  rDev +14.5%

A - This beer pours a nice clear copper color. It has a fluffy 2-finger slightly off-white head on it. The head has good retention, and it leaves a nice sheet of lace on the glass.

S - There is a nice hop presence, with nice aromas of citrus and pine. There are some nice tropical fruit aromas too. There is some caramel malt and some bready malt in the background.

T - There is a pretty big tropical fruit flavor here. It has nice biscuity and caramel malt backbone on it. There is a nice citrusy, piney hop flavor that imparts a nice amount of bitterness. The finish leaves lingering hop bitterness and lots of fruitiness on the palate.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy, and it has a smooth creamy feel to it. There is some sweetness and a nice amount of hop bitterness.

O - This has good drinkability. I drank the glass quite fast and found myself wanting more. Overall, I think it is a solid IPA, and it has a great fruitiness that I really enjoyed. I recommend trying this one out, I thought it was quite nice.

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Light golden amber with some lacing down the glass.
Hops on the nose with some malt lingering. The normal grapefruit juiciness.
Pine, grapefruit, and some decent malt on the finish. A little malty for a west coast IPA but still good. I've had better, but I've definitely had a lot worse.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

picked this up tonight, never seen it before. i almost put it back when i got to the reg and realized it was 12.99/6 pak, but wtf....

pours a rich cloudy amber with a nice white head that leaves good lacing on the glass. more of an oily ipa...

the smell is very good.... a strong piney aroma, but malty and sweet as well -- and something a little grassy, a little thyme and rosemary as well. i can't put my finger on it -- there is an interesting center to this beer.

the drink is extremely bitter -- as it warms, more nuanced flavors become apparent, but HOP BURN dominates -- i may change my opinion on this --- but tonight, it is a little too bitter -- and i am afraid the bitterness is smothering a really interesting malt complexity underneath. there is something cool going on here, but i cant get it behind this bitter curtain. i like the abv at 6.8 here, a hard hitting regular IPA. but coupled with the bitter, it seems more boozy than it is.

at 12.99 a six -- i wll never buy this again. if it was 9.99 i might try it again down the line. but you've got to bowl me over for that kind of money.

4.58/5  rDev +25.5%

Gadzooks! Where did this beer come from? Was it a gift/extra in a trade? Did I buy it locally? Did my cousin bring it for me? I am losing my mind. Please accept my apologies if it came from you.

From the bottle: "Fraught with hops complex, vigorous and virile. Endowed with a subtle malt character for a sturdy and balanced ale. Our Award-Winning interpretation of the popular style reflects both the history of the IPA and the distinctive and relatively modern American version. Cascade and Centennial hops are employed generously and the result is an earthy ale that is most drinkable."

My pour created a finger of tawny head with rather low retention that created some nice lacing as it fell. Color was a hazy, murky orangish-yellow. The nose hit me with an explosion of minty, piney hops and my salivary glands kicked into high gear. I am a Hops Junkie and I readily cop to it. I am no longer under the Hops Thrall as I once was, but I need to maintenance drink the occasional IPA to fend off withdrawal symptoms, lest I shake like a dog passing a bone. The mouthfeel was full, approaching creamy and while I did not achieve an outright bone, I have to cop to a chubby. This was what I was craving - minty, piney hops just running wild across my tongue, leaving nothing in their wake, not unlike the Scrubbing Bubbles I used in my shower the other day. The horror of yet another Minhas beer began to fade into memory and I was no longer jonesin'. Cue The Forgotten Rebels and their Top 40 Deprogramming hit (sort of) "Surfin' On Hops-oin". Man, Sid & Nancy got nothin' on this hip cat. They know how to make a score worthwhile out there in Cali. The finish finished me. My tongue lolled and my eyes rolled back in their sockets. If that is not your idea of a good AIPA, then I feel sorry for you, amigo mio.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Cloudy unfiltered copper orange color. Little to no head with slight lacing. A good amount of natural carbonation.

Smell: Delicate. Bready malt and fruity hop flavors. The malts are sweet caramel and toasty bread. Hops are fruity and floral. I smell rose, watermelon, grapefruit, and orange. Hints of spice. The smell is quite nice and alluring.

Taste: Bright lively grapefruit citrus with good lightly sweet malts. The beer is sweet and then finishes slightly bitter. The hops are super tingly and not too mouth puckering.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium. On the watery side. Malts aren't quite chewy enough. Balance leans to the hoppy side. The malt side could use some enhancement.

Overall: Not bad. It is on the sweet side with a good hop profile. Very refreshing. Has its own flavor profile making it unique in the pantheon of west coast IPA's.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a hazy golden orange color with a frothy white head that leaves chunks of lacing.

Smells of citrus and pine hops.

Tastes of the wave of hops with a solid malt base. Hops lead off with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, and some pine. Bitterness is on par with most other IPAs. Malts add in at the end with some sugary sweetness, a bit of bread as well. Not as much caramel malts as I expected, but it does not detract.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is a solid IPA that may not be able to hang with the better examples of the style, but I still find enjoyable.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

A: The beer is light copper orange in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high dense creamy off white head that died down but consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: There are moderate aromas of citrusy hops in the nose—grapefruit stands out in particular.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has flavors of citrusy hops along with hints of caramel malts. There is a light to moderate amount of bitterness from the hops.
M: It feels medium-bodied and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is very easy to drink because it has a good balance between the malts and the hops.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

22 fl oz, poured into a pint glass.

A: It's the color of an IPA, for sure; cloudy amber, with a sizeable wheat-colored head. The head lasts about two minutes before dissolving into lace. Could be worth a try.

S: Smells like an IPA as well; there's a citrus hop characteristic, there's a malty sweet aroma, and there's a spicy note as well. I'm starting to get optimistic.

T: Looks like I jumped the gun. The hops characteristic is far more piny that citrusy; that's too bad. The sweetness that I picked up in the smell test is deferred as well, and there's a spicy thing going on, which feels like pepper. Just a hint, though, not overpowering.

M: Fair, almost good. It's medium-bodied, the carbonation's alright, but it wrecks the palate with all that pininess, and the finish is quite bitter.

O: Fair, not quite good. I can at least say now that I've tried this beer, but I wouldn't want to say much more than that.

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%

A: Pours a bit cloudy with thin head . has a dark amber orange color.

S: Pine citrus, and loads of malts with a great balance.

T: The first is a piney/juniper blast.Next is a malty wave and a citrus blast of grapefruit.

M: Medium mouth feel with moderate carbonation level.

O: Overall a very pleasing to the palate & would definitely drink this one again.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

Hazy amber, slightly coppery, with a short beige cap made up of fine bubbles. Decent head retention, lots of lacing, mostly solid sheets and streaks. Citrus and herbal hops in the aroma, biscuit and citrus zest, caramel and a hint of mint. Solid bitterness, caramel sweetness, biscuity and earthy, oranges and tangerines. Medium bodied with fine carbonation, light dryness, decent texture. Good overall with a bit of a different hop profile.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a bit darker (or dirtier) than I expected but a good bit of head that turns to a slightly sticky lace ring. Slight carbonation.

S - Smells of bread like malts and a good bit of grapefruit hops. Doesn't smell too bitter or artificial.

T - Starts off with a nice hop bite that fades a bit with the malts, but comes off kind of watery. Still a tasty IPA.

M - Light to medium but it was kind of watery.

Overall this is far from a great IPA but I wouldn't turn one down (unlike the DIPA) Hoppy and bready like malts are abundant, whats not to love?

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

I picked this up at Monument Wines and Spirits the other day.

Appearance- coppery color, half inch head with good retention

Smell- citrus hops

Taste- citrus hops, good amount of hop bitterness

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was really good. I liked the amount of hop bitterness in the flavor.

2.45/5  rDev -32.9%

Light hazy orange, finger plus of white head. Nice lace.

Light grapefruit hops, a little bit of caramel. Not too much going on.

Grapefruit, good bitterness. A bit of caramel and bread in the background.

Light bodied with medium-low carbonation. Not as clean feeling as I would like.

Not horribly bad, but I wouldn't buy it again.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

This is a pretty solid IPA. I feel like the smell is really similar to two hearted ale, but the taste is a little less fruity, a little more malt balanced. I actually really like this beer. Yet another example ( and it pains me to say it) of why san diego might just be the best beer city in CA.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Pours an amber, copper in color with a good amount of frothy head that dissipates to a thin layer of foam and leaves tons of lacing around the glass. Carbonation levels look good.

S: Smells of grapefruit and citrus with a sweet, bubble gum malt backbone. Maybe some tropical fruits, banana and pineapple. Very interesting aroma for an American IPA, not much pine, almost a candy like quality. Very enticing.

T: Taste follows the aroma pretty well with lots of grapefruit, citrus, fruits and sweet malts up front. Even a bit of candy in there. Quite juicy. The flavor turns bitter towards the backend, but not overly so. Finishes dry with a lovely citrus hop presence.

M: Fairly thin bodied for an IPA, this clocks in on the lighter side of a medium bodied brew. The carbonation level is great with a nice, crisp feel on the tongue and there is a good amount of chewiness. Very drinkable.

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this brew as I've never seen it before and wasn't sure what to expect. As a West coast IPA, it packs enough hops to please, but has a definite malt presence and isn't overwhelmingly hopped, which I enjoyed. I also liked the sweet malt, tropical fruits and candy aspect of the brew which I found quite unique for the style. As always, I loved the predominantly grapefruit and citrus quality of the hops (as opposed to pine) which made this one quite enjoyable and very tasty. I look forward to trying out more of this breweries selection as they have more than piqued my interest. Cheers!

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a dark gold with a very small wispy white head.

Smells of tropical fruits maybe a little citrus and pine. The smell is pretty one dimensional.

Tastes of pine upfront with some bitterness. A little bit of malt through the middle finishing with a deep bitterness.

Mouthfeel is a little light for the style. Doesn't feel like there is much here.

Overall not a great beer. SD has much better to offer.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tumbler at the Hulmeville Inn

A- looks like a blonde ale. Very soft golden color, but dense enough body to be recognized as an IPA. Doesn't leave any head.

A- soft floral notes... kinda like tropical fruit juice, some pine notes. No cat piss, thank God.

T- more tropical notes. Think:banana-pineapple juice. Citrus hops blend well with a sweet malt. Not terribly sappy, just sweet enough. Some satisfying pine and even forest floor. Lots of bitterness.

The flavor is there, and It's a juicy IPA. It doesn't go beyond that. Actually, the bitterness becomes overbearing, probably because the flavor hops aren't singular enough in their direction.

M- Excellent. Just enough malt to support the hops, finishes suitably dry.

O- very good beer. It's hard to top a fresh IPA on draught. Still, the flavor failed this one a bit.
I could happily makes this my go-to-beer. But as something that's such a palate-killer, I'd always leave wanting more.

A good amber color brew with a slightly hazy appearance. Nicely carbonated. When poured the beer produces a thick mousse like head, off white and lingering a long while ending with nice lacing on the glass.

It has a very hoppy aroma leaning towards spicy. Malts provide an excellent sweet or caramel backbone.

Taste is very hoppy and strong, more then the 66 ibu's listed on the website.
Hops are in abundance here but flavor seems to take a back seat on this one. Malts are sweet and pleasent and provide a nice balance to the bold hops.

It looks and feels like a medium body beer but there also is a thick and smoth aspect too.

A good beer. For me it has the taste and feel of an DIPA which is good because I can't really handle true DIPA's due to the ABV'S so this is a good one for me.

Mission IPA from Mission Brewery