Mission IPA - Mission Brewery

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

12/12/2011

On tap at Mission brewery.

A: Transparent yellow gold with a finger of white foam. Lacing is scattered.

S: Big orange and grapefruit notes blend with tangerine, apricot, and mango. Hop profile is great. Malt is light and faintly bready.

T: Moderately bitter with notes of orange flesh and tangerine. Alcohol is well hidden and malt is light. Finishes with a burst of citrus.

M: Lower medium body with lower high carbonation.

Overall: A damn fine IPA. Citrus is bright and expressive.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a hazy orange color with a huge pillowy foamy 2 finger white head that faded very slowly and looked like melting snow by a river as it went down, leaving excellent creamy lacing sticking to the sides of the glass and rings as it went down.

Smells of citrus hops, grapefruit, orange, piney hops, light caramel, grains, brown sugar, spices like mint and pepper and graham cracker; the alcohol was hidden by the hops and spices, so this smells nice like a typical West Coast IPA.

Tastes like it smells with citrus hops up front, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon zest, coriander, piney hops/pine cone, herbs, grass, floral hops, mint, caramel, malt, lightly roasted grains, brown sugar, spices like cinnamon and pepper, and some light alcohol with mild heat; the oily citrus hops and heat scream West Coast IPA, which is exactly what I was looking for in this brew. Malt backbone provides enough balance to make this drinkable, even after the light sizzle from the spices and mild heat, but not refreshing enough to be a session beer.

Mouthfeel creamy and slick with light carbonation, a medium body, a chewy feel, and a sweet bitter finish that was almost tart from the citrus flavor and yet left a grainy taste after each swallow.

Good drinkability, this is an above average IPA that I’d drink again. I wish the finish had more hop presence and less malt/cracker, but it’s still a solid beer.

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured into a Spaten tumbler glass. A bit hazy and bright orange color. Tiny carbonation bubbles lead to a huge three finger, bright white colored firm rocky head. Lace is super sticky and I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

Smell is sweet and overripe citrus. Pink grapefruit and blood orange. There are also some biscuit and earthy smells. Smell is too yeasty and not enough hop, especially from the West Coast.

Taste is initially bready and musty yeast, but some of the citrus hop comes out, but in a very overripe to almost rotting flavor. Taste is also bitter and quite sweet.

Mouth is crisp with almost spritzy carbonation. Body is delicate to medium and the finish is quick and dry.

Overall I really thought I was going to love this but didn't. I think that's because it's from San Diego and is an IPA. If I blind tasted this I would guarantee it was made in PA or NY. East Coast must and yeast made in San Diego??? Why?? Try it for the tick, at a decent price.

3.42/5  rDev -6.3%

served on tap, in a shaker pint glass.

appears a hazy golden yellow color with soapy white head. aroma is typical of west coast ipas, big hop presence, citrus flavors.

the tap menu described this beer as having a malt backbone to balance it, but I didn't think so. I didn't really pick up much malt in the taste at all. I thought it was a bit thin and lacked balance, definitely room for improvement. moderation carbonation.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Bottles now available in NY state. Cloudy yellow with soapy white head, 3/8 of an inch retained. Some thick lace residue. Slight hop aroma. Smooth mouthfeel, though tongue numbing carbonation. Pleasant enough citrus. Average American IPA. Tongue still numb several minutes later.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

A - This beer pours a nice clear copper color. It has a fluffy 2-finger slightly off-white head on it. The head has good retention, and it leaves a nice sheet of lace on the glass.

S - There is a nice hop presence, with nice aromas of citrus and pine. There are some nice tropical fruit aromas too. There is some caramel malt and some bready malt in the background.

T - There is a pretty big tropical fruit flavor here. It has nice biscuity and caramel malt backbone on it. There is a nice citrusy, piney hop flavor that imparts a nice amount of bitterness. The finish leaves lingering hop bitterness and lots of fruitiness on the palate.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy, and it has a smooth creamy feel to it. There is some sweetness and a nice amount of hop bitterness.

O - This has good drinkability. I drank the glass quite fast and found myself wanting more. Overall, I think it is a solid IPA, and it has a great fruitiness that I really enjoyed. I recommend trying this one out, I thought it was quite nice.

3.59/5  rDev -1.6%

Light golden amber with some lacing down the glass.
Hops on the nose with some malt lingering. The normal grapefruit juiciness.
Pine, grapefruit, and some decent malt on the finish. A little malty for a west coast IPA but still good. I've had better, but I've definitely had a lot worse.

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

picked this up tonight, never seen it before. i almost put it back when i got to the reg and realized it was 12.99/6 pak, but wtf....

pours a rich cloudy amber with a nice white head that leaves good lacing on the glass. more of an oily ipa...

the smell is very good.... a strong piney aroma, but malty and sweet as well -- and something a little grassy, a little thyme and rosemary as well. i can't put my finger on it -- there is an interesting center to this beer.

the drink is extremely bitter -- as it warms, more nuanced flavors become apparent, but HOP BURN dominates -- i may change my opinion on this --- but tonight, it is a little too bitter -- and i am afraid the bitterness is smothering a really interesting malt complexity underneath. there is something cool going on here, but i cant get it behind this bitter curtain. i like the abv at 6.8 here, a hard hitting regular IPA. but coupled with the bitter, it seems more boozy than it is.

at 12.99 a six -- i wll never buy this again. if it was 9.99 i might try it again down the line. but you've got to bowl me over for that kind of money.

4.54/5  rDev +24.4%

Gadzooks! Where did this beer come from? Was it a gift/extra in a trade? Did I buy it locally? Did my cousin bring it for me? I am losing my mind. Please accept my apologies if it came from you.

From the bottle: "Fraught with hops complex, vigorous and virile. Endowed with a subtle malt character for a sturdy and balanced ale. Our Award-Winning interpretation of the popular style reflects both the history of the IPA and the distinctive and relatively modern American version. Cascade and Centennial hops are employed generously and the result is an earthy ale that is most drinkable."

My pour created a finger of tawny head with rather low retention that created some nice lacing as it fell. Color was a hazy, murky orangish-yellow. The nose hit me with an explosion of minty, piney hops and my salivary glands kicked into high gear. I am a Hops Junkie and I readily cop to it. I am no longer under the Hops Thrall as I once was, but I need to maintenance drink the occasional IPA to fend off withdrawal symptoms, lest I shake like a dog passing a bone. The mouthfeel was full, approaching creamy and while I did not achieve an outright bone, I have to cop to a chubby. This was what I was craving - minty, piney hops just running wild across my tongue, leaving nothing in their wake, not unlike the Scrubbing Bubbles I used in my shower the other day. The horror of yet another Minhas beer began to fade into memory and I was no longer jonesin'. Cue The Forgotten Rebels and their Top 40 Deprogramming hit (sort of) "Surfin' On Hops-oin". Man, Sid & Nancy got nothin' on this hip cat. They know how to make a score worthwhile out there in Cali. The finish finished me. My tongue lolled and my eyes rolled back in their sockets. If that is not your idea of a good AIPA, then I feel sorry for you, amigo mio.

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Cloudy unfiltered copper orange color. Little to no head with slight lacing. A good amount of natural carbonation.

Smell: Delicate. Bready malt and fruity hop flavors. The malts are sweet caramel and toasty bread. Hops are fruity and floral. I smell rose, watermelon, grapefruit, and orange. Hints of spice. The smell is quite nice and alluring.

Taste: Bright lively grapefruit citrus with good lightly sweet malts. The beer is sweet and then finishes slightly bitter. The hops are super tingly and not too mouth puckering.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium. On the watery side. Malts aren't quite chewy enough. Balance leans to the hoppy side. The malt side could use some enhancement.

Overall: Not bad. It is on the sweet side with a good hop profile. Very refreshing. Has its own flavor profile making it unique in the pantheon of west coast IPA's.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a hazy golden orange color with a frothy white head that leaves chunks of lacing.

Smells of citrus and pine hops.

Tastes of the wave of hops with a solid malt base. Hops lead off with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, and some pine. Bitterness is on par with most other IPAs. Malts add in at the end with some sugary sweetness, a bit of bread as well. Not as much caramel malts as I expected, but it does not detract.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is a solid IPA that may not be able to hang with the better examples of the style, but I still find enjoyable.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

A: The beer is light copper orange in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high dense creamy off white head that died down but consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: There are moderate aromas of citrusy hops in the nose—grapefruit stands out in particular.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has flavors of citrusy hops along with hints of caramel malts. There is a light to moderate amount of bitterness from the hops.
M: It feels medium-bodied and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is very easy to drink because it has a good balance between the malts and the hops.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

22 fl oz, poured into a pint glass.

A: It's the color of an IPA, for sure; cloudy amber, with a sizeable wheat-colored head. The head lasts about two minutes before dissolving into lace. Could be worth a try.

S: Smells like an IPA as well; there's a citrus hop characteristic, there's a malty sweet aroma, and there's a spicy note as well. I'm starting to get optimistic.

T: Looks like I jumped the gun. The hops characteristic is far more piny that citrusy; that's too bad. The sweetness that I picked up in the smell test is deferred as well, and there's a spicy thing going on, which feels like pepper. Just a hint, though, not overpowering.

M: Fair, almost good. It's medium-bodied, the carbonation's alright, but it wrecks the palate with all that pininess, and the finish is quite bitter.

O: Fair, not quite good. I can at least say now that I've tried this beer, but I wouldn't want to say much more than that.

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Pours a bit cloudy with thin head . has a dark amber orange color.

S: Pine citrus, and loads of malts with a great balance.

T: The first is a piney/juniper blast.Next is a malty wave and a citrus blast of grapefruit.

M: Medium mouth feel with moderate carbonation level.

O: Overall a very pleasing to the palate & would definitely drink this one again.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

Hazy amber, slightly coppery, with a short beige cap made up of fine bubbles. Decent head retention, lots of lacing, mostly solid sheets and streaks. Citrus and herbal hops in the aroma, biscuit and citrus zest, caramel and a hint of mint. Solid bitterness, caramel sweetness, biscuity and earthy, oranges and tangerines. Medium bodied with fine carbonation, light dryness, decent texture. Good overall with a bit of a different hop profile.

Mission IPA from Mission Brewery