Mission Hefeweizen - Mission Brewery

Mission HefeweizenMission Hefeweizen

Mission Brewery visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-29-2008)

4.75/5  rDev +38.9%

4.55/5  rDev +33%

Had this on-tap at O'Brien's a night ago. Poured a golden yellow color, like most hefes do, but the smell was quite different; it was sweet, almost champagne-like.

Taste was very fruity as well, with hints of bananas, various flowers, and some hard candy-like flavors. No aftertaste of wheat like most hefes; if I had to compare, I'd actually say it tasted like a more fragrant, sweeter Duvel. I was completely thrown off and thought my buddy had bought us a Belgian ale than a hefe.

Drinkability is superb; c'mon, it's a hefe with very fruity flavors that's reminiscent of Duvel, with half the ABV. I could see myself draining a whole sixer of these in one night, easy.

I only wish they bottled this stuff up and sold it at least at the local liquor stores around here.

4.45/5  rDev +30.1%

A-Fluffy white head that dissipates quickly, nice lacing. Amber, brownish, mustardy color.

S-Yeast, banana, clove, pear, malts. Very nice aroma, I wish I could describe it better.

T-Banana, clove, the pear really shines here, malts and some yeast.

M-Light bodied with a nice presence in your mouth. Low on the carbonation side but it's just right.

D-Easy drinking beer that would
go well with any season.

4.43/5  rDev +29.5%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a cloudy yellow with small smattering of bubbles out of the tap.

S: Banana esters certainly, baked bread, cereal.

T: Heavy on the banana and very full flavoured. Bubblegum in there as well, pastry bread, really no clove. On the sweeter side of this style, probably the best tasting hefe I have ever had.

M: Light-bodied, crisp, refreshing, not really yeasty at all.

D: An outstanding hefe, I think the freshness really helps it compared to its German counterparts. Never had anything from Mission before, but I was quite impressed with this brew.

4.33/5  rDev +26.6%

another bottle with olieipa and patron wizard. a recent gem from my last trip to holiday wine cellar

pours golden with a one finger fluffy head that sticks around but then recedes on the quick side. very little lacing. looks pretty good.

smell is excellent. banana esters are strong. with faint hints of yeast and clove. i would just like to sit and smell this baby all night. its a beautiful smell.

taste is good. this is a solid hef. sweet. this is a big banana experience. beautiful. amazing burp taste.

this is so nice to see something simple that is this great. no imperial hef. no big beer hef. just a simple down to earth hefeweizen. great work mission

4.1/5  rDev +19.9%

I've enjoyed this on tap a few times in the Burgh over the last year, snagged a bottle last night on Mount Washington from a cool affordable bottleshop, Packs and Dogs. Pours a murky clouded orange golden nectarine hue with a large flowing cloud of off white head. Aroma has big banana, citrus, and bubblegum flowing forth in the nose, definitely has those love-able German yeast esters. Clove is kicking in the background with just barely a nipple of herbal hop dust. Sturdy flavorful yeast components, sharp wheat sweetness cut with a mild acidic yogurt like tartness, big clove and pink bubblegum balanced with citrus/banana tropical fruit. I like this beer, it's a true hefe brewed on the West Coast, good flowing high end of the carbonation scale with slightly chewy girth to it from the proteins in the yeast sediment. Damn that's a good wheat beer, I really like it ballsy flavorful hefeweizen if there ever was one.

4.03/5  rDev +17.8%

We made a trip to Germany for our honeymoon last year, and since then have had a German-style bug that needs its fix about once a week. I respect the other beers from this brewery, so decided to give this a try.

Appearance: Murky, dense amber gold. The head did not retain very long, but lacing is good.

Aroma: The nose gives off a subtle citrus, and banana. Light hop aroma. Strong clover, and a hint of anise come through.

Taste: The first time I reviewed this beer, I noted that the "middle is dominated by citrus zest and pears as well as subtle banana notes." This time around I am getting more clove and banana with a light citrus backing. I think it is an improvement in this regard.

Mouthfeel: The beer is fuller than I last remembered. I commented in my initial review that I did not think that the mouthfeel was as rich as the German examples we had.

Drinkability: I am loving this beer right now. Extremely quaffable, and deceptively drinkable. I prefer this style more to blondes/kolsch, so it is a bias, yet let's face it, informed, opinion when I say I prefer this over the blonde.

12/12/2011

On tap at Mission brewery.

A: Hazy yellow orange with an inch of white foam.

S: White pepper and clove with grainy malt. Esters are redolent of banana, pear, and bubblegum. Nice.

T: Banana and lightly spicy clove notes accompany bubblegum. Malt is grainy with some wheat. All aspects are balanced.

M: Lower medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: A good American-made Hefeweizen.

Mission Hefeweizen from Mission Brewery