2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shipwrecked Double IPA - Mission Brewery

Shipwrecked Double IPAShipwrecked Double IPA

good

Mission Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-17-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipwrecked Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 635 | Reviews: 193 | Show All Ratings:
celldog

4.65/5  rDev +26%

Well I must say that I am glad I tried this beer. Pricey perhaps, but it did not disappoint. I am a big fan of Widmer's Nelson Imperial and Dogfish 90 minute, and this is right there with them. This is a local San Diego brew, so I am proud to say this local brew delivered an excellent Imperial IPA with the hoppiness, pine notes, and fruit flavors I love. This beers fills your mouth with sensational flavors that linger well after the last sip- pine, fruit, wonderful hops and a smooth consistancy. I want more.

11-09-2011 00:28:15 | More by celldog
woodychandler

4.58/5  rDev +24.1%

My local, in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped off a Quart (!) CAN for me in his latest box. My eyes went wide in wonderment and now, I am simply anxious to try it. I remember BMCS (SW) Gerry Wargo as referring to everyone as "Shipwreck" vice the standard "Shipmate". Ha! I wonder how different I might have been had I not started out in Deck Department ...

From the 32 Fluid Ounces/946 ml CAN: "1913 [-] 2007"; "Keep Refigerated [,] Please Recycle"; "Double India Pale Ale - A style of beer curiously born on the foggy shores of Father Junipero Serra's first founding mission. Our own vigorous entry is one rebellious IPA, quick on the trigger, and brimming with a bounty of hop ingenuity. This is a big, bold, brazen beer, a restless vision of a new America. Brewed by Mission Brewery, [CAN] Diego, [CAN]ifornia 92101."

Man, I actually had some difficulty in achieving the Crack! on this one! It made a noise like a steel drum and then opened up to reveal another brimful craft CAN. The Glug will be whatever I CAN make happen once I get the crane into position to hoist it up. Some slight spillage occurred due to the opening being positioned further back than normal for a CAN. Fortunately, my tongue was lolling out of my mouth anyway, so I put it to work swabbing up the excess. Arrrrgh! This is destined to be a nautical review and so I gave the word to avast heaving around to assess what had transpired. Two dense, foamy fingers of tawny head with good retention was the word returning from the fo'c'sle. We staged it there as it was the only place on deck with enough room to CANduct this operation. Color was a hazy copper (SRM = > 17, < 22) and I ordered the torches brought out so that we could cut it down into reasonable sizes. The nose was rich with minty hops underlain by caramel malt and I suddenly understood why it was marked with the Jolly Roger - this was death by DIPA and it meant to take no prisoners. "What ho!?!" I cried out and throwing all remaining caution to the wind, took my first draught. My poor, bruised tongue was the first casualty in the assault. This came ashore like a battering ram and immediately went to work on the already weakened bulkhead of my taste buds. Soon, it was worming its way into my tongue like I had sprayed it with hydrofluoric acid! "Arrrgh, it burns, lads!" I cried out in a combination of agony and ecstasy. The boys broke out fire hoses and began watering me down in a valiant effort to stave off the attack, but to no avail. Having breached the initial bulkhead, it took to flooding the bilges of my empty stomach. It was not long before I began to founder, listing back and forth, to and fro, finally settling on a heavy starboard list. The boys began writing a grocery list in the hopes of righting me but in the meantime, wave after wave of marauders came aboard and before long, half of the monstrous CAN was aboard, biting, attacking and just being a general nuisance. I gave the order to abandon ship, but my crew refused to obey, instead forming a bucket brigade to try and remove this powerful liquid. Sensing their loyalty and reluctance to give up, I met the CAN head on, CANsuming a mighty draught just as another wave poured forth from the CAN and into my glass. "What, ho!?!" I cried out. "No quarter is to be given and none is expected," came the unforgiving reply. My eyes began to tear up, not of my own volition, but because the onslaught was too much for any one person to bear. I was getting very minty hops and alcohol heat from it and the finish was so dry that Zephyr winds began to blow, filling my sails and propelling me away from this beast. I stepped back to assess the damages and things were in utter disarray. Holes blown in the sails, masts broken and sheared off, more holes in the hull than I could count, a starboard list that could not be overcome and worst of all, sticky lacing that not even the needle guns could prove capable of removing. I put my head down and began to weep openly but just as I did, the lookout sounded a sighting. This beast was not done with us! It tacked around and let fly another volley as though from a bottomless source. "Nooo!" I cried out, but it was too late. We were CANpletely and utterly overrun and there was naught to do but surrender. Unfortunately for me and my crew, there were no terms of surrender in this case and we were summarily executed. If that was the case, then how do I tell this tale? you might ask. The Hoodoo Gurus sang about us on "Death Ship".

In the ultimate irony, the CAN fits directly into the top of a shaker glass. I suppose that if I really wanted an experience, I could have inverted the CAN. Proceed at your own risk.

Serving type: can

02-05-2014 17:29:54 | More by woodychandler
soulhawk

4.5/5  rDev +22%

This is an amazing beer...I love the smooth finish...sweet yet no smack of alcohol or bitterness...well balanced for that much 9.25% alcohol...I can't really find any typical disappointments to this beer...the only criticism is that I prefer a slightly more pronounced hop in the citrus flavor...I would serve to my buddies with pride.

06-19-2012 01:30:29 | More by soulhawk
BellyBrew

South Carolina

4.48/5  rDev +21.4%

This is one of my favorite Double IPA's. it has a smoothe head with an absolute flavorful finish. a bit on the dark side for an IPA but thats what is great about this beer. A different turn for an IPA. I thought it went great with a steak and potatoe dinner. Not to heavy and the word light is not an option for this brew.

09-02-2012 23:03:45 | More by BellyBrew
jpmclaug

South Carolina

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Bottle into a perfect pint glass

A - clear golden orange body with a small white head on top

S - A nice hoppy citrus/tropical fruit mix, leaning more toward the citrus. Smells pretty nice actually.

T - Big citrus notes mingle with a solid pale malt body but this definitely leans toward the hops. A bit of a lingering orange rind like bitterness at the end. A nice tropical fruit flavor up front as well. Also a bit of an alcohol flavor mixed in as well but it blends real well.

M - medium bodied, slightly sticky, fair amount of carbonation

D - pretty nice west coast style DIPA. I am surprised I hadn't heard of this one before picking it up as its a very solid beer. I would have no problem drinking more of this and would pick it up again in the future.

11-30-2010 23:03:51 | More by jpmclaug
NeroFiddled

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Mission's Shipwrecked Double IPA pours a surprisingly hazy, almost cloudy, deep-amber orange body beneath a frothy head of off-white. (Perhaps I simply didn't allow the bottle to sit undisturbed for long enough). The head retention is quite good, and it leaves excellent lacing about the glass.

The aroma is soft and smooth, offering up sweetish golden-caramel malt tones threaded through with resinous, gently citrusy (some Simcoe? Amarillo?), piney, and grassy hop notes.

In the mouth it's medium-full and decidedly dextrinous, delivering a creamy-smooth pass across the palate with just a gentle caress from the median carbonation level.

The flavor is as the aroma suggests it will be, but with a backing of solid hop bitterness to keep it in balance. It starts with an almost doughy sweet malt that glistens with drizzled golden caramel; adds to that a delicate bit of yeasty fruitiness; and then dives straight into a hay bail of grassy, leafy, citrusy and floral hop flavors featuring orange, apricot, papaya and a bit of rose. The bitterness rises late mid-palate, and the alcohol adds a flash of peppery spiciness. In the finish the malt sweetness and bitterness slowly fade and rise respectively, eventually balancing amidst lingering notes of malt and hop flavor.

I appreciate that Mission has avoided going for a big juicy hop bomb loaded with all of the raspy edges that citrusy hops can deliver. And they've also stayed away from the pine cone hand grenade! There's a bit of citrus and pine to it, but I find more apricot, papaya, and Fruit Loops than I do pineapple and grapefruit, and I think that gives them a little bit of uniqueness amidst the crowd. And it certainly lends to drinkability. It's a big beer, no doubt, but it doesn't really show beyond the malt and mouthfeel. The alcohol is well cloaked for the most part, and the maltiness balances it superbly. Well rounded. Well hopped. Worth seeking out!

12-14-2010 20:05:49 | More by NeroFiddled
rtaps

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours a deep orange in color with a small head. Had a sort retention time and leaves lacing round the glass

Smells great. Sweet and nutty.

Taste very balanced for a double ipa. Hoppy bitterness, hints of nuts and a smoky after taste. Smooth going down

Overall it's a very goo dbl ipa

10-15-2011 04:43:08 | More by rtaps
Krakistophales

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

A: Pours red with a sticky white head that disappears quickly

S: A mix of piney and citrus hops right up front, with huge hints of sticky caramel sweetness. Slight hints of tropical fruit, mostly pineapple.

T: Huge blast of piney hops up front, quickly swallowed by a generous caramel and malt sweetness. The end offers a touch of citrus hop bite, also leaving a sticky resin feeling in the mouth with lingering sweetness from the malt. Awesome.

O: This is a fantastic double IPA. I'll definitely be grabbing more of this stuff.

07-01-2012 02:37:27 | More by Krakistophales
ZX6Chris

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A-Bright caramel color with a big frothy cream colored head. The head leaves nice lacing as it dissipates.

S-Nice starburst aroma, grapefruit, citrus, a little earthy. Very impressive.

T-starburst, citrus, pine, earthy, malty, sweet and bitterness that lingers on the finish

M-Light bodied and appropriately carbonated. I would say it's not dry.

D-I'm pretty impressed with an off the shelf IIPA, that's saying a lot. The awesome hop presence, bitterness and light sweetness from the malts hides the 9% very well. I'm pleasantly surprised.

12-27-2010 05:47:05 | More by ZX6Chris
weeare138

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Fresh bottle in San Diego...and what a huge difference it makes.
Appears a orange toned amber with a fluffy white head that slowly fades. Scattered bits of lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of danky weed, heavy citrus, flowers, perfume, and vibrant hop resin.
Taste is of the aromas with an herbal hop blast with sugary malt. I really like this beer. The herbal and earthiness comes through more as it warms.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, warming, bitter leaning, and mostly balanced.

05-06-2012 05:23:32 | More by weeare138
Arithmeticus

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Had on tap at World of Beer in Va., in a snifter

A: dark reddish brown; good carbonation and lacing; 1/2 finger head
S: bready, malty, sweet; lingers nicely
T: intense, complex, bitter, astringent; grass, piney grapefruit; medium sweetness; well balanced array of malt, hops, yeast.

Very solid DIPA.

04-15-2013 20:11:55 | More by Arithmeticus
Cylinsier

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

12 oz.

Pours a deep clear honey gold, minimal sudsy white head retains as a lacing.

Smells of rich caramel and strong pine hops.

Tastes honey sweet with a bit of caramel and apple, followed by some potent pine hop that is bitter, but not overly so.

Smooth and thick with a syrupy feel, a slight sting of carbonation on the tip of the tongue.

Delicious wonderful IPA, among the better ones I've had in the imperial style for sure. IPA fans won't want to miss this. Hides its strength well, but not completely. Very enjoyable brew.

07-19-2011 22:38:41 | More by Cylinsier
legalpete19340

4.23/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Pours a dark amber color with some vibrance and solid one finger of off white head. The head fell but kept some foam around. Some lace.

S: Lots of citrus with grapefruit leading the way. Taking some time with this beer reveals some pine and herbal aromas along with multi-grain cracker.

T: Hops come on strong and hold all the way through with grapefruit, pineapple and citrus. There is a lot of herbal spiciness. In the mid swig I get the sensation of malt with toasted multi grain bread and roasted grain but then its back to all about the hops. The end comes with a bitter bite that smacks of pine and herbal flavors.

M: Just right for the beer: medium with a slight bit of chew and syrupy.

O: I feel like this beer is better than my rating but thats just how it came out. Its a big juicy hop bomb that delivers on what you want out of a DIPA.

02-16-2012 04:08:31 | More by legalpete19340
Billolick

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

12 ounce bottle without any sort of dating info.

Pours clear, a warm shade of darker honey amber, medium tan head, that stays and stays, leaving a thicker collar and respectable bits of lacing and sheeting. Piney hop nose. Dense, flavorful pine hop notes on the palate, with additions of lime, gin and grapefruit. Yummy stuff is all I can say...quite worthy DIPA

11-11-2011 00:13:00 | More by Billolick
JupiterJesus

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a 22 oz into a Duvel tulip. Huge head that dissipated in about a minute, leaving behind a mess of semi-coarse lacing. Light spicy aroma with some tropical fruit. Thick body, very sweet, medium to high carbonation.

And here's the kicker: the flavor is all about rich sweetness, fruit and phenols. This is a tripel, no doubt about it. Sure, it has masses of hops, more of them and of the wrong type than is typical for the style, but it is definitely a Belgian Tripel + American IPA hybrid. I'm not even sure why it is called a Double IPA - maybe to get more sales? It is to the beer's detriment, as the phrase "Double IPA" is leading people to make assumptions and comparisons that are inappropriate.

When judged as a DIPA, it is so-so. It is too sweet, too fruity, too phenolic. As a tripel, it is one of the best American tripels I've had, and the addition of massive American hops really works. I like it.

01-18-2012 04:44:37 | More by JupiterJesus
thrash420

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

appearance - poured out a deep orange amber color, with a small white head. didn't lace too much, i expected a lil more head and more lacing

smell - smells fruity and spicy overwhelmed with hops

taste - tastes a lot milder than i expected from the 9.25%. can definitely taste the fruits in this one, accompanied by the powerful hops we know and love in a good IPA.

mouthfeel - medium body, easy on the carbonation. goes down smooth, before i knew it ive drank 3 schooners!

10-08-2010 21:15:03 | More by thrash420
schoolboy

4.18/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is the second of three Missions I have accepted for this weekend. Like the blonde, I like this one. It has the right color and plenty of head.

It has enough aroma so you know what's coming. Somewhat boozy aroma, but no funky artifacts. The taste is like the smell. Not quite syrupy, but plenty malty. It's a pretty good balance overall. The aftertaste is somewhat boozy too.

I might buy this again but the $3/bottle price tag will probably have me looking elsewhere.

03-16-2013 20:06:13 | More by schoolboy
Metalmonk

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

My first Mission beer. Might as well be one of my favorite styles.

Pretty much your quintessential Double IPA in looks, with a long-lasting, creamy dirty-white head; thick foam sticking to the sides of the glass with the slightest tilt; reddish-copper sunset color; lots of bubbles racing up to meet the undying head.

Ooh...the aroma promises my kind of DIPA: citrusy, candy-like sweetness, generous toffee-like malt backup, pine resin. Pretty full-on "big hoppy beer" type nose, and I'm hoping it impresses the taste buds as much as it does the nostrils...

Lots of impressions on the tongue, that's for sure. Sweet cherries; grapefruit/orange zest; leafy green bitterness; fruit-flavored pipe tobacco; peach; papaya; strongly-steeped herbal tea; pineapple. Bitterness pervades just a smidgen over all else, which is nice, but keeps it a very slow-sipping "whoa, take it easy" kind of beer. Overall fruity sweet, hoppy (of course) and with a little more malt backup than others of this style.

Round and full in the mouth, a creaminess tries to dominate but is held in check by a bubbly carbonated tickle. A bit sticky too, which helps keep that bitter "west coast-type" hoppiness going a long time...

I should have never looked at the overall score here (as of this writing, just a "B") because I've been agonizing about it, like, "what's not to like?" "Do I not know my beer?" "This is great a Double IPA, WTF?" "Are you all nuts?" But whatever, to each their own. Lemme turn that "WTF?" into "FTW!"

07-10-2011 18:20:24 | More by Metalmonk
AgentMunky

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an Allagash cervoise glass.

A: Two fingers of tight head. The colour is a brilliant ruddy amber, clear with some bubbles. Very pretty.

S: Fruity hops. Pine resin. Straightforward, but powerful.

T: Not bad! Somewhat of a hop bomb -- very bitter (75 IBU) and initially astringent. However, there is nice balance provided by the malt base and the heavily fruity topnotes. The maintaste is long and full, with an enduring, grapefruity aftertaste.

M: Substantial. A bit of chewy malt. Not as much carbonation as you'd think.

O: I like DIPAs quite a bit, and this is no exception. Very nice beer. Recommended to hop lovers. At times, noticeably strong. Don't let it warm up.

03-31-2012 02:51:59 | More by AgentMunky
rringler

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Light copper color, slightly hazy. Pours with half to one finger head that dissipates quickly. Leaves very little lacing in my glass.

S: Lots going on in there. Smells a bit dank and hoppy from the start (maybe some grapefruit fruity as well?), but I also get some bready malts in there.

T: Starts hoppy, and finishes hoppy. There's a milt bready malt throughout the whole taste, but it seems to start with spicy hops (and maybe some really mild sour fruits) and finishes with more earthy bitter hops. Mission's website lists it at 75 IBU, and it tastes at least that. Tastes a bit boozy at 9.25% abv.

M: A bit thicker and slower. A full mouthfeel, which is probably what you want out of a double. Carbonation is very good.

O: Decent brew. If I could get my homebrews this hoppy and light-colored, I'd be ecstatic. That said, the hop-profile just isn't my gig; I'm not a huge fan of the spicy start. Someone out there will love it though.

05-17-2013 05:21:18 | More by rringler
flannelman808

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

First batch of this stuff, had from the tap!

A: Copper amber in color topped with a bone white head... nice carbonation, lots of bubbles.

S: Interesting combo of herbal notes and stone fruit, notably Apricot. Some pine comes through as well. Caramel notes as well as some orange peel follow the pack.

T: wow great stuff! Apricot shines through! In place of what usually is a citrus peel quality is a stone fruit quality. Love it. Still tons of bitterness to keep things lively. The high ABV is hidden quite well.

M: carbonic tang levels

D: pretty damn high given the abv

09-18-2010 21:25:40 | More by flannelman808
bamadog

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

I picked up a 4-pack of this while on a recent trip to Pittsburgh. Review is from notes taken on 6/8/2011 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a solid coppery color with some lighter, yellowish/gold highlights around the bottom of the glass; starts with a fair head of 1 and 1/2 fingers, that is of an off-white hue; head has decent retention, and becomes rocky and pockmarked as it slowly dwindles to a complete, but uneven, skim; body is pretty clear and shows moderately strong carbonation bubbling up throughout; a few patches of oily and sticky lacing linger on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Lots of interesting and bitter hoppiness that is of grapefruit and pine and a touch of citric fruit rind; actually a fairly strong malty presence in the nose provides a touch of balance, but it's still hop driven as it should be.

Taste: Lots of those bitter hops right up front, and their flavors match those that were mentioned above in the smell; there is a malt backbone, but it is definitely overshadowed by those big hops; strong warming presence of alcohol towards the back, and the bitterness lingers well into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Body is medium/light in terms of weight, and the carbonation is smooth and provides just a good touch of prickliness in combination with the near 10% ABV; a thick, moist sticky coating is left on the roof of the mouth; gums and belly are left tingly from the carbonation, slight acidity and ABV.

Overall: I feel that this beer's average rating of a B (at the time of this review) seems a bit low. I think it is closer to a B+/A- overall, and definitely worth picking up. I feel it is a fine example of the style and definitely has that California flair to it with the big and spicy hoppiness.

06-09-2011 01:04:21 | More by bamadog
Gueuzedude

Arizona

Sampled on tap at 1702, Tucson; August 2011
The beer arrives with a half-finger thick, quite pale tan colored head. The beer is a dark copper / amber color that shows a brilliantly clear, full copper hue when held up to the light. The nose has a pungent, clean, bright tropical fruitiness to it that reminds me of lychee, juicy fruit gum, perfectly ripe tangelo zest and very floral apricot as well as just a bright sort of tropical fruitiness (kumquat perhaps). After my nose gets used to the dominant hop character I am able to notice a supporting malt character that contributes subtle aromas of whole grain crackers and perhaps a hint of biscuit. Also a touch of pine and more herbal hop notes are noticeable just underneath the fruit hop notes.

This has a touch of fullness to the body as well as a malt character that also provides a supporting role for the dominant hop flavors; overall though it is quite drinkable like anything called an IPA should be. Again a huge tropical fruit character is found here in the flavor with lots of lychee and ripe kumquat zest coming through in the first sip. There is a firm, slightly herbaceous bitterness that lingers in the finish. The bitterness is actually noticeable from the beginning and adds a bit of a bite throughout, there is also a light herbaceous astringency to the hop character (it isn’t nearly so prevelant as the smooth hop fruitiness) that also contributes some sharpness and bit to help counterbalance the ϋber-fruit quality that defines this beer. The fruitiness can almost have a Christmas like spiciness to it at times (likely more orange zest than anything, but I can’t help but think of cinnamon for some reason).

This is a nice Double IPA, it is quite clean (meaning it doesn’t really have a rough, dank herbal quality to it), which, for me can be quite enjoyable and even ideal, depending on what I am in the mood for.

02-12-2012 03:26:32 | More by Gueuzedude
Brad007

Vermont

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a dark orange with gold/amber accents and a two-finger head that quickly fades down to lacing.

Citrusy hops upfront with only a touch of buttery malt underneath. Hop-dominant, just as I like them.

A slow-acting shot of bitterness drenches the tongue with a strong touch of grapefruit. Tangy. Spicy.

Alcohol warmth leaves a satisfying warmness in the belly with hops on the breath. Whew. Better hops than garlic.

Good slow-burnin' DIPA for fans of the West Coast style.

03-01-2013 17:14:05 | More by Brad007
KomodoDragon

4.09/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Burnt orange, with loads of floating sediment and little head.

S - Fruits (orange peel), floral, pine. This should be hoppy and good

T - Honey malts with a burst of sweetness. A long warm spicy finish. Hints of butterscotch.

M - Light backbone with some burn

Straightforward DIPA which allows the flavors to shine thru. Well crafted

01-09-2013 03:28:18 | More by KomodoDragon