Shipwrecked Double IPA - Mission Brewery

Shipwrecked Double IPAShipwrecked Double IPA

good

Mission Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-17-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipwrecked Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 907 | Reviews: 225
1.3/5  rDev -65%

Deep amber color with about 1 finger of white head. Pretty good lacing. Sweet toffee and malt nose. Lots of caramel, touch of earthy hop.

Tons of malt, sweet toffee and dark fruits up front with just a touch of earthy bitterness. Lingering sweetness. Feels like a Double IPA without any thought and not enough hops. Full mouthfeel, semi-syrup like on the finish. Balance isn't there and it tastes tastes like homebrew. Bleh, glad I didnt bring this into my shop.

1.9/5  rDev -48.8%

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy copper orange with a medium creamy off-white head that goes to a thin film and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is subdued - some resiny hops and alcohol.

The flavor is a little sweet malt with a ton of sharp bitter alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, I remember this being much better on tap. All I get is bland bitter alcohol.

1.92/5  rDev -48.2%

Ehhhh this is a below average DIPA. Its on the hot side. Smooth is an accolade I'd shove under the rug. Alcohol is up front and personal. The hop profile is watered and the malts are stale.

For the price this is out of its league.

Yikes. I'm 0 for 2 from this brewery.

1.94/5  rDev -47.7%

Tastes like detergent. Hard to finish. Too much alcohol

1.94/5  rDev -47.7%

Hazy orange with a scant single finger of slightly off-white head. A few rings of lace.

Weak grapefruit and slight cattiness. Some esters and slight alcohol, no real malt, though, and something reminds me of blue cheese.

Bitter, boozy, blah malts, and not much in the way of hops. Some grapefruit, but not much else.

Could use some more carbonation, a little syrupy.

There are any number of better, readily available DIPAs on the market.

Decent double IPA enough flavor to make it drinkable

2.12/5  rDev -42.9%

Bottle from JohnCoctsin. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear light amber color with a single-finger white head that leaves some nice spotty lacing on the way down. The nose carries plenty of bready malt and some light caramel. Hops? Nope. The flavor is bread and some very light caramel and sweetness. Bread crust is the most apt description. Hops? Nope. Mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation. Bitterness? Nope. Three strikes.

2.13/5  rDev -42.6%

Bought this with moderate expectations. Made this account just to write this review. The beer might be a lot better if it was packaged more properly. Like a lot of people, I nearly refuse to drink a craft beer straight from the can. Likewise, I felt the need to pour this brew into my Russian River nonic pint glass. I lost about a quarter of the beer by simply trying to pour the damn thing. I created a second air hole in the can and all and I could not get a proper pour without most the beer trailing down the can and making a damn mess everywhere. I finally got enough poured out so I could properly pour the rest of the damn beer and because it wouldn't pour properly, the beer foamed up obnoxiously. In the end, I got a hoppy, and clean flavor with a flat carbonation. Probably never going to revisit. Most terrible can design I have ever seen, hands down. It affects my experience with the beer, so yes, I feel like it ruined the quality of my beer. Would have had a decent score if I could have managed a good crisp sip or two, but even the taste isn't anything to die for and doesn't stand out amongst the other DIPAs available. Couldn't even get that from the first three sips from the can. If you don't have a problem drinking a beast of a brew from an insanely big can, then give it a shot. If you wish to pour this beer, find something better. The beer wasn't even worth the price in the first place.

2.36/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Hazy orange with white lacing around the edges
S-Slight hops and something I cant quite put my finger on.
T-tastes kind of metalic. No idea where it is coming from. Now I know what I was smelling
D-not very good, metalic taste and all
M-lightly carbonated, light bodied

Dont know if this is a bad bottle or what is going on with it.

2.6/5  rDev -29.9%

Three fingers of big bubbly white head arise above a dull copper, slightly hazy, body. Very good dense lacing.

Assertive citrus aroma features plenty of orange, backed by pine.

Sweet beginning, sweeter than expected, and the sweetness lasts throughout. Hops rise and crest, and battle to take a fruity hold for awhile. Not for long though. No alcohol burn, but a definite sense that its there.

Thick, heavy almost syrupy mouthfeel.

Sweet and sluggish dampens drinkability.

Not really what I'm looking for in a IIPA, and a bit high at $8.35/bomber.

2.61/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This is an okay beer, but, relative to other DIPAs, it's just mediocre. It pours a color that's right about average for the style, a transparent amber-orange. The head is sudsy with lots of fine, foamy bubbles. The aroma is fairly weak, mostly pine resin hops with some grapefruit rind and a touch of tropical fruit. There's very little bright, fresh hoppiness, though this bottle should be fresh, judging by when it arrived in local stores. Some caramel malt. The flavor has some good bitterness, but, otherwise, it's fairly disappointing. It's a touch too malt sweet at first and altogether too little complexity. The aftertaste is blandly bitter with a note of stale grain. Mouthfeel has nice hop oiliness but is fairly thin and maybe a bit overcarbonated. I rather liked Mission's IPA, but this one just can't compete in the already overcrowded style.

2.62/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay goblet

A- pours dark orange with a one finger slightly offwhite head. Head doesn't stick around for too long, but laces pretty nicely

S- strong citrus aroma. Smells damn lovely, and is pretty pungent...not really searching around for the scent in this one

T- and unfortunately, this is where the goodness of the beer ends. I am tasting next to no hops at all. Just pure nothingness. Wait, there's a very slight bitter finish. That's it. Tastes like water

M- it's THICK, which makes no sense given the lack of hoppiness to it. Thick water = very offputting

O- I thought this was going to be a star after the pour and first whiff of it. Then it really hit the fan. No dating on the bottle, so I have no idea how old this is. A shame, really

2.71/5  rDev -27%

Copper pour, decent white head to it with above average retention. Aroma was just bitter and alcohol, not much in the way of hop aromatics.

Pretty bitter and heavy malt bill. So uh, where did the flavor hops go? Bittering hops, sure. But maybe they could have done some dry or flavor hopping additions? Or better ones? Plenty of caramel, but if you're looking for a big mouthfeel of hops, citrus, pine etc. . . you're going to have to keep looking.

Haven't been all that impressed with Mission, they seem like so many johnny come lately's with their simple minded ipa's that are all bitterness and not much else.

2.81/5  rDev -24.3%

Draft at Hamilton's in San Diego.

Pours a hazy dark golden orange color with a half finger white head that immediately disappears. Not much in the way of lacing.

Slightly earthy aroma with very muted hop character.  Subtle grass, pine and floral hops with a touch of citrus and lots of alcohol.

Medium bodied with a strong bitter hop presence up front that's quickly countered by tropical fruit and alcohol.  Again, the hops are muted by light fruit and sweet booze.  Hints of apricot,  pineapple, grapefruit and orange peel but it's kind of weak.

2.86/5  rDev -22.9%

This isn't the greatest beer. It is a middle of the road DIPA. It certainly isn't Pliny. It is drinkable and I don't regret buying it. It is lacking any real hop flavor. The best thing about this beer is the mouth feel. It is neither too thick or too thin. Overall, I'd be disappointed if I made this at home.

2.91/5  rDev -21.6%

A- pours a deep almost reddish amber color with a finger and a half of off white head.

S- sugary candied with a touch of toffee hits the nose at first. Some spicy disjointed alcohol comes out in the middle. Some hops drown under the big malt bill. A touch of tropical fruit and grapefruit comes out but quickly gets smothered.

T- very malty brew indeed. Caramel and candied apple flavors hit the palate at first. Astringent phenolic alcohol clashes with initial malt burst. Weak hop flavor gives a hint of tropical fruit and candied orange. Finishes sweet with a doughy boozy aftertaste.

MF- sticky slick mouthfeel with a medium body and light medium carbonation.

2.98/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This was recommended to me by a clerk at a beer store. Poured into a glass, it is a pretty beer with a notable orangy color and nice head. Very clear. The smell is syrupy, sweet and with some yeast flavor. The taste is too, except worse. It's very boozy and I can hardly detect any hop presence. It does not taste anything like a DIPA to me. I'm trying to be generous in my review because it's possible the bottles were very old, but this is one of the worst DIPA's I've ever had.

had and old bottle.... strait 3's until I get a fresh one to review.

Malty...

3.01/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a wheat beer glass. Beer is brown and hazy, forms a big off white head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is low. Looks OK.

Malty almost hoppy aroma, not too appetizing for a DIPA.

Well its easy drinking for such a big beer but the bitterness is at best weak. Its not very sweet up front, its a smooth creamy mouthfeel but this is pretty disappointing. Come on Cali, can't you make a good IPA...oh wait...nevermind.

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

A-pours copper color with a very light tan head with pretty good retention
S-citrus and nutty, not a real complex nose
T-very sweet malt with citrus almost being put in the background. Seems a bit backward on the taste profile. Also lacking alot of distinction in the different flavors. Alcohol presence is very noticeable
M-Medium bodied
O-not a great example of the style. It is drinkable but I wouldn't seek it out or recommend it

3.04/5  rDev -18.1%

A - Pours a clear deep color, marginal carbonation, small white foam headwith very large bubbles, and sticks to the sides of the glass.

S - A little bit of roasted caramel/toffee and some alcohol. The malts smell somewhat German. Is that it??? Really?

T - Yep, the same as the nose - toffee and booze. Something tells me this beer is probably past its prime. There's some very mild grapefruit, orange, and lemon citrus...just barely. If this were fresh, I'm sure the citric content would be much stronger and vibrant. The hops are coming through like a dim light bulb toasted malt taking the forefront and finishes with some lemon that intensifies a little more after the sip. The malt is a little buttery. This beer is on the sweet side rather than the hoppy side. I can deal with the sweetness part, it's a nice toasted character but it really needs some boost in the bitter department to keep those malts in check. I can see where the flavor of this would be much better if both malts and bitterness were intensified...it's so %$#@ mellow that it's pretty boring for a D-IPA - intensity, man - more cowbell!!. (I really hate to say that too.) As I work through the bottle, it gets a little better, but not much.

M - Medium bodied, nice and smooth on the tongue.

D - Average, depending on what you're looking for. It's almost balanced with the nod leaning towards the malt.

I'm keeping this review open until I can locate an ULTRA FRESH one to make sure I give it a fare shake. D-IPA's are my absolute favorite and it kills me to rate one lower than I normally would. In its present state, I think this would be a GREAT step in the big beer direction for those who may not be so familiar with D-IPA's. Shipwrecked, let's meet again and give it another go with a different bottle, all is not lost.

3.06/5  rDev -17.5%

A: Brilliant golden hue, topped with a fluffy white head. For whatever reason, I poured this into a Delerium Tremens snifter, so the nucleation point is giving it a pretty look.

S + T: I don't get a whole lot of aromatics from the nose. There are some mild citrus scents and a touch of woodiness, but it's really quite tame. The flavour is somewhat mellow, as well--and most certainly for a double IPA. The malts seem a little dominant, and there's a sweetness that is not balanced with the hops. The flavour is not BAD, but somewhat unbalanced and modest. It could shoot more towards an 'American translation on the English IPA without becoming an American IPA,' but I suppose that just wouldn't make any sense. :)

M + D: The body is a little slick; perhaps it is more oily. The carbonation is modest, and has a nice little bite, but given the sweetness of the beer, it's a little 'sticky' and almost candied. I didn't mind it, but I'd probably set my sights on another in the store.

3.08/5  rDev -17%

Light copper color...mixed size bubbles hung around for awhile. Aroma of melons. Taste is immediately rough if not harsh, a significant assault on the tongue to cause "funky face." I've smelled that smell before, and it's often near rotting melons or trash cans. Not pretty. Is that an aerosol component with those esters?!! Humm...clean lines?
On the other hand, this was mailed to me through BeerJobber.com with their Imperial Stout, which I've yet to rate.
Also, in it's defense, there's seemingly a lot of hops and significant malts, butterscotch, and some pine that I enjoy. But the alcohol is strong, and the esters or something makes this an tooth enamel remover...let me take 5 minutes and report back.
Back...oh yes...big melon aroma - can't escape it...bright hop alcohol flavors...ah...hope I'm not shipwrecked with just this beer...let me give it 10 more minutes...
Oh boy...peed, drank water, ate a cookie and this mofo stands out as something that could wreck a ship, or your palate!! This is more of a palate wrecker than Ballast Point's! It's an utter assault but I'm still plowing through and won't pour it out!!! I'll check back in ten.
Ooooh...did I mention toothpaste and candy canes, and , despite all I've said quite unique and intriguing, compelling, and tasty even if I don't quite know if I like it!!...and melon in the nose...~...signing off but I will finish this beer...ayieeee!!!!

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured into snifter glass a nice hazy light orange ,with weak head, that dissipates fast. Adequate lacing.

A very malty and fruity nose, emphasis seems to be more malty than hoppy. Sweet toffee-like malts, some fruits and just enough faint hops swim into the nose. Very different aroma for a supposed Double/Imperial IPA.

Fairly thick body of sweet toffee malts, fruits and different kind of hops than normally used for any American-style IPA. Average carbonation level. More on the malty and sweet side, not nearly hoppy enough for a regular American IPA, much less a Double/Imperial. It's a good, pleasant taste indeed, but it's very disappointing as a DIPA.

As other reviewers on this site and others have stated, this is probably much close to a trippel or English IPA at best. Had the brewery classified and/or marketed it as one of those, it would get a lot more points from me and, no doubt, others.

Shipwrecked Double IPA from Mission Brewery