2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shipwrecked Double IPA - Mission Brewery

Shipwrecked Double IPAShipwrecked Double IPA

good

Mission Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-17-2010)
Ratings: 635 | Reviews: 193 | Show All Ratings:
UCLABrewN84

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Townhouse Kitchen & Bar in Sherman Oaks, CA.

Pours a clear amber color with a 1 inch white head that fades to a small cap. Thin rings of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smells of citrus zest, pine, and grapefruit juice. A very subtle malt smell too. Taste is pretty much the same with some citrus zest and pine hops, grapefruit juice, and sweet malt on the finish. Mild bitterness lingers on the palate on the drink down. This beer has a medium body with a smooth and slightly chewy mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good DIPA and my first beer from Mission. I would get this one again most likely.

05-29-2011 08:51:47 | More by UCLABrewN84
IronLover

3.58/5  rDev -3%

Hazy brownish-orange in color with a respectable beige foam to start. Head reduced to a light ring of foam with a bit of lacing. Pine and floral hop aromas are dominant with a bit of citrus orange and sweet maltiness. Viscous, oily feel with very light carbonation. Floral and pine hop flavors up front with citrus orange in the middle. Firm, sweet malty backbone from beginning to end, moreso than most DIPAs I've experienced. Finishes with a lighly bitter aftertaste. Nicely masks the higher abv. A decent DIPA.

05-26-2011 18:44:39 | More by IronLover
WVbeergeek

On at Mad Mex during happy hora, so it didn't kill my pocket book. Drinks nice, just super malty for a DIPA. Definitely not your typical West Coast DIPA. Which actually worked for this beer, usually I like the West Coast DIPA to take the enamel off of my teeth with hops but in this case. I'm alright with a deep orange russet body pouring with a thick beige head, fine even layer lacing. Nose is full of citrus/floral notes very nice expressive finishing hops here. Starts out agressive with citrus/floral notes but as the malts surround the hops the flavor fades into a well balanced high alcohol IPA. Drank pretty effortlessly, was I expecting more hop bitterness and flavor of course, but I wasn't disappointed by it. Mouthfeel is full to medium bodied with a nice flowing carbonation going strong. Overall experience less hops than expected from a West Coast DIPA but it didn't harm the overall enjoyment level this beer had to offer.

04-25-2011 09:34:23 | More by WVbeergeek
HopHead84

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

3/18/2011

On tap at URGE.

A: A pleasant dark orange with good clarity. White head is frothy and leaves scattered lacing.

S: Big caramel malt presence with notes of bread, orange, and grapefruit. Moderately bitter with a lower moderate sweetness. Slightly sugary. Gives the impression of balance, though perhaps the scale tilts in the favor of malt.

T: Orange flesh with a strong caramel malt base balancing it out. Grapefruit emerges midpalate with an apparent rind component. Tastes more like an American Barleywine than a Double IPA. Booze is well masked. Caramel really emerges as the beer warms up. Increased booze presence in the caramel citrus finish.

M: Lower medium in body with upper moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is sticky and creamy.

Overall: This is not how I like my Double IPAs, but it wouldn't be a bad American Barleywine.

03-19-2011 01:59:53 | More by HopHead84
Deuane

3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

A-Deep garnet with golden highlights. A thick off-white head slowly reduced to a thin cap and left copious swaths of lace.

S-Deeply rich but muted malt sweetness with some telltale American grown C type hops poking through the malt layer. Touch of alcohol burn finishes this one off.

T-A big and burly malt bruiser with spicy citrus hop notes struggling to make themselves known. Not what I typically look for in a DIPA. Good, yes. Great, no. Warming alcohol makes an appearance in the finish.

M-Medium-heavy body, this one is a quite the heavyweight of DIPA's without being overly sweet or sticky. I like the feel as it makes you feel like you are drinking a beer with pendulous BALLS!

D-I liked it to an extent but the more I drank the more weary I became with it. A decent beer for sure but it simply brings too much for me to enjoy in a DIPA. If this were a RIS I might think differently but it's not so....

11-14-2010 13:15:15 | More by Deuane
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

On tap at the TDR hopfest event the other day.

The beer pours an amber copper color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is sweet and a bit spicey, but with some noticeable tobacco, earth and dry citrus. On the palate, this IPA is definitely on the sweet side, something I find a bit unusual in a West Coast IPA. However, there the beer has a considerable bitter finish, which helps to counter that sweetness to some extent. Mouthfeel is fairly light, which surprised me given the abv. The finish is long and bitter, though ultimately the flavor profile is still dominated by the sweet malt. Drinkability is pretty good, with the alcohol well disguised and integrated into the flavor profile.

Nothing extraordinary here, but I thought this nevertheless to be a pretty solid beer.

09-24-2010 01:59:23 | More by johnmichaelsen
oglmcdgl

3.4/5  rDev -7.9%

On tap at the hulmeville in.

A- comes to me with a good finger or off white head the settles slowly leaving a nice spray of lace all over the glass. Burnt orange in color with a touch of haze.

S- fruity and sweet like a cream sickle. Oranges and sweet slightly roasty malts.

T- malty sweet and boldly hopped. Cloyingly sweet. Oranges and a hint of grapefruit. Loads of caramel malts. Hint of herbal earthiness.

M- well above medium in body and a mid level carb.

D- its a east coast ipa from the west coast crazy stuff. Solid but a bit sweet for my tastes.

09-21-2010 02:33:44 | More by oglmcdgl
flannelman808

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

First batch of this stuff, had from the tap!

A: Copper amber in color topped with a bone white head... nice carbonation, lots of bubbles.

S: Interesting combo of herbal notes and stone fruit, notably Apricot. Some pine comes through as well. Caramel notes as well as some orange peel follow the pack.

T: wow great stuff! Apricot shines through! In place of what usually is a citrus peel quality is a stone fruit quality. Love it. Still tons of bitterness to keep things lively. The high ABV is hidden quite well.

M: carbonic tang levels

D: pretty damn high given the abv

09-18-2010 21:25:40 | More by flannelman808
BARFLYB

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

On tap at the Hulmeville Inn inside a pint glass.

A- Dark bronze with a off white billowy head that left some stick. From the looks of it, this is unfiltered to the max, cant really see through it.

S- Very malty for a DIPA, they kind of drown out the hops but they also make a appearance. Grapefruit, slight pine, candy, sweet sugar, alcohol, kind of all over the place.

T- This is a sweet DIPA, more sweet than hoppy, but I think the mix here makes for a good beer. First up a sweet sugar blast with some alcohol followed out by some grapefruit from the hopping. Starts sweet, gets kinda hoppy, goes back to sweet. Not very floral and there is a touch of pine in the end.

M- A smooth above medium body with not much bittering appeal. The sweets win the game here. Shipwrecked is properly carbed up. Not hot but the taste of alcohol does stick around for a few.

D- I enjoyed it and would have again. A sweet DIPA from the west coast, This tastes like something made back east, maybe we are rubbing off on the left coast for once. This is not offensive and great beer, i like it.

09-18-2010 17:43:35 | More by BARFLYB
pastradul

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

pours strong gold. Decent amount of carbonation to be seen. Light Head with some lacing being left on the glass.

The smell is very light, not a lot to speak of. Which is misleading becuase the taste is pretty strong.

This is a very well balnced IIpa. A good amount of citrus and malt hit the mouth at the beginning. Then the citrus takes over and covers the mouth. And finishes with a nice hop and sweet finish. Not overly bitter by any means but just right.

04-16-2010 14:24:45 | More by pastradul
Kegatron

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%

On tap @ The Toronado (San Diego, CA) on 3/22/10. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper, with a thin covering of bright-white creamy head. There's a moderate richness to the retention and lacing. Decent little look here. The aroma has some hops going on with it, with some floral notes, pine, and some light pine. However this very sweet overall in the nose, with a muddled mix of sticky fruit and malts. Very sweet here...

The taste is the same, with a LOT of deep sweetness to it from tropical fruits and bready caramel character. The hops only really come out in the back, with pine, spice, and a bit of an off-putting earthy grittiness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a nice firm mouth-filling creaminess to the carbonation. To it's credit, this really isn't showing much alcohol and the feel here is probably the best part of the beer.

Just way too much sweetness here for a DIPA, with more hops needed at the forefront of the profile. I've had a couple of different beers now from Mission and this wasn't one of the better ones.

04-03-2010 00:03:16 | More by Kegatron
womencantsail

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

On-tap at Blue Palms

A: The pour is amber in color with plenty of white head sitting on top.

S: The hop notes in this beer are very fruity and sweet. A lot of grapefruit combines with some tropical fruits like mango and pineapple. The sweetness is helped along by ample amounts of malt.

T: This starts off a bit malty for my tastes, but the hops help it to recover offering up some grapefruit and pineapple notes, along with a moderate bitterness.

M: Shipwreck is medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: This was just a touch too sweet for me, and that's not what I look for in my IPAs. I would look for other options before having this one again, but it wouldn't be my last resort.

02-19-2010 19:38:55 | More by womencantsail
Halcyondays

3.45/5  rDev -6.5%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a nice amber with a firm white head, nice full lace as to be expected with a DIPA.

S: Great tropical fruit nose, pineapple and mango perhaps there's Simcoe in there methinks.

T: Sweet bready malt off the bat, much more malt than I would have expected out of San Diego. Good hop flavour of grapefruit and pineapple, if a little earthy on the back end which was not to my liking.

M: Smooth and creamy. Soft carbonation makes for an easy drinker.

D: This is an OK DIPA, nothing special. Servicable, but not something I'll go back to.

02-17-2010 00:34:29 | More by Halcyondays
reebtaerG

Maryland

3.69/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured 22oz bottle into New Belgium globe

A-Pours a slightly hazy dark copper body under a one finger tight bubbled off-white head.

S-The the aroma is prominent malty with light hops that are piney and resiny over the sweet caramel malt base.

T-Taste is sweet up front, then bitter, citrus and lingering bitterness,

M-Medium to full bodied with a slightly chewy and sticky body, soft gentle carbonation.

O-Overall an average DIPA that hides the hops.

04-17-2014 20:08:41 | More by reebtaerG
MrHopHead420

2.1/5  rDev -43.1%

Bought this with moderate expectations. Made this account just to write this review. The beer might be a lot better if it was packaged more properly. Like a lot of people, I nearly refuse to drink a craft beer straight from the can. Likewise, I felt the need to pour this brew into my Russian River nonic pint glass. I lost about a quarter of the beer by simply trying to pour the damn thing. I created a second air hole in the can and all and I could not get a proper pour without most the beer trailing down the can and making a damn mess everywhere. I finally got enough poured out so I could properly pour the rest of the damn beer and because it wouldn't pour properly, the beer foamed up obnoxiously. In the end, I got a hoppy, and clean flavor with a flat carbonation. Probably never going to revisit. Most terrible can design I have ever seen, hands down. It affects my experience with the beer, so yes, I feel like it ruined the quality of my beer. Would have had a decent score if I could have managed a good crisp sip or two, but even the taste isn't anything to die for and doesn't stand out amongst the other DIPAs available. Couldn't even get that from the first three sips from the can. If you don't have a problem drinking a beast of a brew from an insanely big can, then give it a shot. If you wish to pour this beer, find something better. The beer wasn't even worth the price in the first place.

03-08-2014 21:06:48 | More by MrHopHead420
Franziskaner

Missouri

3.66/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Amber reddish hue with a light wisp of white head. Great clarity. Pine like hop aroma is fairly prevalent along with a bit of a citrus aroma. The taste is a blend of pine and citrus hops. There's primarily a citrus hop flavor in the fade. Mouth is thick and sticky which is true to style.

03-06-2014 05:35:03 | More by Franziskaner
woodychandler

4.58/5  rDev +24.1%

My local, in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped off a Quart (!) CAN for me in his latest box. My eyes went wide in wonderment and now, I am simply anxious to try it. I remember BMCS (SW) Gerry Wargo as referring to everyone as "Shipwreck" vice the standard "Shipmate". Ha! I wonder how different I might have been had I not started out in Deck Department ...

From the 32 Fluid Ounces/946 ml CAN: "1913 [-] 2007"; "Keep Refigerated [,] Please Recycle"; "Double India Pale Ale - A style of beer curiously born on the foggy shores of Father Junipero Serra's first founding mission. Our own vigorous entry is one rebellious IPA, quick on the trigger, and brimming with a bounty of hop ingenuity. This is a big, bold, brazen beer, a restless vision of a new America. Brewed by Mission Brewery, [CAN] Diego, [CAN]ifornia 92101."

Man, I actually had some difficulty in achieving the Crack! on this one! It made a noise like a steel drum and then opened up to reveal another brimful craft CAN. The Glug will be whatever I CAN make happen once I get the crane into position to hoist it up. Some slight spillage occurred due to the opening being positioned further back than normal for a CAN. Fortunately, my tongue was lolling out of my mouth anyway, so I put it to work swabbing up the excess. Arrrrgh! This is destined to be a nautical review and so I gave the word to avast heaving around to assess what had transpired. Two dense, foamy fingers of tawny head with good retention was the word returning from the fo'c'sle. We staged it there as it was the only place on deck with enough room to CANduct this operation. Color was a hazy copper (SRM = > 17, < 22) and I ordered the torches brought out so that we could cut it down into reasonable sizes. The nose was rich with minty hops underlain by caramel malt and I suddenly understood why it was marked with the Jolly Roger - this was death by DIPA and it meant to take no prisoners. "What ho!?!" I cried out and throwing all remaining caution to the wind, took my first draught. My poor, bruised tongue was the first casualty in the assault. This came ashore like a battering ram and immediately went to work on the already weakened bulkhead of my taste buds. Soon, it was worming its way into my tongue like I had sprayed it with hydrofluoric acid! "Arrrgh, it burns, lads!" I cried out in a combination of agony and ecstasy. The boys broke out fire hoses and began watering me down in a valiant effort to stave off the attack, but to no avail. Having breached the initial bulkhead, it took to flooding the bilges of my empty stomach. It was not long before I began to founder, listing back and forth, to and fro, finally settling on a heavy starboard list. The boys began writing a grocery list in the hopes of righting me but in the meantime, wave after wave of marauders came aboard and before long, half of the monstrous CAN was aboard, biting, attacking and just being a general nuisance. I gave the order to abandon ship, but my crew refused to obey, instead forming a bucket brigade to try and remove this powerful liquid. Sensing their loyalty and reluctance to give up, I met the CAN head on, CANsuming a mighty draught just as another wave poured forth from the CAN and into my glass. "What, ho!?!" I cried out. "No quarter is to be given and none is expected," came the unforgiving reply. My eyes began to tear up, not of my own volition, but because the onslaught was too much for any one person to bear. I was getting very minty hops and alcohol heat from it and the finish was so dry that Zephyr winds began to blow, filling my sails and propelling me away from this beast. I stepped back to assess the damages and things were in utter disarray. Holes blown in the sails, masts broken and sheared off, more holes in the hull than I could count, a starboard list that could not be overcome and worst of all, sticky lacing that not even the needle guns could prove capable of removing. I put my head down and began to weep openly but just as I did, the lookout sounded a sighting. This beast was not done with us! It tacked around and let fly another volley as though from a bottomless source. "Nooo!" I cried out, but it was too late. We were CANpletely and utterly overrun and there was naught to do but surrender. Unfortunately for me and my crew, there were no terms of surrender in this case and we were summarily executed. If that was the case, then how do I tell this tale? you might ask. The Hoodoo Gurus sang about us on "Death Ship".

In the ultimate irony, the CAN fits directly into the top of a shaker glass. I suppose that if I really wanted an experience, I could have inverted the CAN. Proceed at your own risk.

02-05-2014 17:29:54 | More by woodychandler
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.74/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Shipwrecked Double IPA is the soft amber colour of candle light yet appears extremely dense; were this beer made into a pendant I bet it'd weigh down the whole head. Though far from a dark tone, its glossy, polished complexion looks thick as actual amber. Its head, meanwhile, is so thin and airy as to virtually evaporate entirely.

The aroma is more reminiscent of a Barleywine than a Double IPA; a heavily malt-forward bouquet, there's traces of dried and candied fruits, toffee and biscuits, and a sizable amount of alcohol. It becomes more and more caramelly with warmth. I like its nutty, nougat-y toast but can't help but wonder, where are all the hops?

There's enough lemon oil and orange peel on the palate to assure us that the brewery hasn't forgotten entirely about the little green cones. Its lime juice acidity notwithstanding, the flavour ultimately answers to the bready maltiness as if it was its master. Notes of candied citrus, pine, and bubblegum flash quickly as a bolt of lightning, then they're gone. Bready malt set in.

The resulting aftertaste of dried cherries and toffee squares is notably sweet for a style characterized by its bitterness. Indeed, there's only a vague, inferred presence of tree bark and sappy resins or the above mentioned citrus oils; were it not for a lingering mango fruitiness, I might consider serving this caramelly, biscuity beer with tea (not literally, but you get the idea).

Shipwrecked Double IPA is nothing like the "rebellious, big, bold, brazen beer" Mission Brewery promises, nor is it anything like the overly citrusy, tropical hop-bombs that California - and San Diego in particular - have become notorious for. It drinks like a DIPA that's been aged (the hops faded, the malts at the fore) and isn't on-par with the city's other boldly hoppy offerings.

02-05-2014 01:57:46 | More by biegaman
DrinkerX

3.41/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a quart can:
Appearance - Very nice cloudy orange color with a thick head poured into a stemmed session glass. Nice lingering lace.
Smell - Definitely get the hops on first smell, along with an alcohol on the next whiff. Not overpowering , but a slightly sweet, piney scent.
Taste - Slight pine with slight tropical fruit. Bitter aftertaste.
Mouthfeel - Full-bodied. Not too bitter.
Overall - As a DIPA lover, this was an okay offering but lacked the complex flavor I expected from an IPA, especially a San Diego IPA.

01-07-2014 00:23:21 | More by DrinkerX
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.96/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 946 mL can. Pours a big three fingers of head on a fairly clear dark straw colored body.
The aroma is pine forest, lemon and tropical fruits. Very nice.
The taste starts with bold pine bitterness, but moves to a mildly sweet pineapple flavor. It finishes with moderate lemon bitterness. Great profile and balance.
The texture is softer with moderate carbonation.
Complex flavor and drinkability make this a winner.

12-29-2013 21:55:37 | More by Fatehunter
CA_brewster

3.36/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The appearance on this brew is quite nice it has a beautiful amber/copper color. The nose on this brew is very alcoholic but it has some nice resinous hoppy undertones. Pineapple really comes to mind when sniffing on this thing but it is dominated by malty alcohol. The taste on this beer isn't great. A good amount of alcohol comes across on the palate. Once past the alcohol this is quite a malty beer with roasty caramel characteristics but it is dominated by alcohol. The brew is not too bitter. The bitterness it does have seems to be from the alcohol rather than from the hops. Needs more hops! Not particularly good the way it is as it lacks the hop presence of a good DIPA, but this thing is perfectly drinkable.

12-17-2013 18:20:34 | More by CA_brewster
beergoot

Colorado

3.96/5  rDev +7.3%

Bright and clear, orange-colored body with a very thick, persistent, foamy head. Heady swirls of hop aromas suggesting oranges, pineapple, pine, and grape jelly. Warm and soft toasted grain flavors and feel with a soothing hop bitterness. Medium-light body; crisp, clean; dry finish.

A nicely done DIPA that looks great and tastes just as good. Good mix of bitterness and alcohol warmth at the finish. Feels rather light for such a big beer, but the mouthfeel just makes this excellent beer all the more drinkable.

12-16-2013 22:05:42 | More by beergoot
wvsabbath

West Virginia

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving Type - 32oz can

Appearance - Golden tan, burnt orange with a nice 2 inch foamy as hell, tons of lacing.

Smell - Piney hops, grapefruit, orange, grapes, very citric. A nice mix of lemon and honey. Some minor malts near the finish along with a little alcohol.

Taste - First sip starts off with a roasty and caramel malt flavor. Hops actually take a backseat to the malts but provide some citric notes. Alcohol is present throughout this brew. Some sugars, lemon , honey and brown sugar also add some flavor. Very warm beer with a boozy finish.

Mouthfeel - Malts and hops nail the tongue along with some alcohol. Palate gets more of the same, along with some sugars and spices. and more alcohol warmth. The aftertaste is malty, citric and alcohol.

Overall - Hmm, not a bad beer but its roasty, burnt malt reminds me a lot of dogfish head 90 minute ipa. The alcohol is too present and the malts are too upfront so the balance in this isn't that great. Still its decent to drink, but man in a 32 oz can by myself, I will be sipping on this one for a hour or two. Work a drink if you like malt forward dipas, espically like great divine's Hercules and such.

11-03-2013 19:43:08 | More by wvsabbath
bluejacket74

3.79/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

32 ounce can. Served in a DFH snifter, the beer pours a hazy dark orange/amber color with about an inch light tan head. Head retention and lacing are both good. The brew smells like citrusy (grapefruit, tropical fruit) hops, along wtih some caramel and bready malt. It tastes like citrusy (tropical fruit, grapefruit, orange peel) and pine hops, caramel and bready malt, and toffee. There's also a good bittersweet finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's creamy and easy to drink with moderate carbonation. I think it's a good brew, and at $7.99 a can (or cannon as I think Mission calls these big cans) I'd pick this up again.

11-02-2013 22:48:25 | More by bluejacket74
Aaron_Ramson

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Very strong and boozy with caramel flavored dominating the malt profile and a sharp clean back-end bitterness countering it. Not your typical West Coast hop profile; lots of citrus to be sure but there was also tropical fruit flavors as well as some herbal tea-like qualities as well. A very potent DIPA that I recommend to all fans of the style.

10-27-2013 17:03:02 | More by Aaron_Ramson