2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shipwrecked Double IPA - Mission Brewery

Shipwrecked Double IPAShipwrecked Double IPA

good

Mission Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-17-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipwrecked Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 635 | Reviews: 193 | Show All Ratings:
mactrail

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

In a sea of big, ugly DIPAs, this once seems suave and debonaire. Sensationally aromatic hop flavors with a large malty taste. Not overly bitter, however, for all the hoppy fireworks. Fills the mouth nicely. So full of malt, but very spicy. Some bitter orange flavor, but not the grapefruit pith. Alcohol provides some heat, but on the whole it is very well balanced.

One of the better big IPAs I've had. I think Mission has a more drinkable approach to their use of hops, which I like. On tap at Mitch's Seafood, San Diego.

03-05-2012 06:14:29 | More by mactrail
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.61/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

a little bit of a different take on the most overproduced style of beer on the market these days (surpassing the annoying middle of the road American saisons, a welcomed, if underwhelming, switcheroo). this one pours a lighter than copper red tinted color, clear for the most part, with a frothed up milky white head a finger or so high, maybe two, and fine retention. the nose is sort of cinnamon spiced, a bizarre characteristic for a big ipa, but its got my interest up. an oily hop profile, flirting with fruity, and a lot of alcohol, fusel heavy and I already know this is going to be a slow bottle. the flavor is not spiced at all, but more resiny, not hop resin per se, but almost like resin from my one hitter, sort of charred and sweet and bitter and more like something leftover, a byproduct, than something I want to consume first hand. this doesn't taste bad at all, but is certainly unique in that way. the alcohol is also very robust, more so than I really care for, as it dominates any interesting hop subtleties that I might otherwise be digging on. there is some malt balance, and a moment of clarity right before the swallow as the bitterness sets in, but the booze is just too much to overcome. fuller body, decent carbonation, not something im really getting off on, but my local shop just got a bunch of their stuff in, and this is good enough to make me want to check it out...

04-25-2013 01:32:16 | More by StonedTrippin
Billolick

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

12 ounce bottle without any sort of dating info.

Pours clear, a warm shade of darker honey amber, medium tan head, that stays and stays, leaving a thicker collar and respectable bits of lacing and sheeting. Piney hop nose. Dense, flavorful pine hop notes on the palate, with additions of lime, gin and grapefruit. Yummy stuff is all I can say...quite worthy DIPA

11-11-2011 00:13:00 | More by Billolick
rhoadsrage

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer has a deep bright tarnished copper body with a microbubble swirl of carbonation. There is a beige creamy head that pushes over the glass and holds its ground.

S- The spicy green hops come through during the pour with a slight lime citrus quality to them.

T- The green tangerine hops flavor has a brassy taste to it with a woody green hops finish. There is a sweet malt flavor underneath the hops.

M- The full fizz texture gives a creamy character with a full mouthfeel and no alcohol heat noticed.

O- The full juicy hops are bright and original without much bitterness although the brassy character was a bit off.

02-21-2012 18:32:42 | More by rhoadsrage
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle purchased in California, and brought back to Sydney to share with @LaitueGonflable and @tobeerornottobe.

Pours a slightly deeper than golden gold colour, with a touch of copper to it. Head is a frothy, inconsistent film that forms some large bubbles in places and a misty nothingness elsewhere. Body is pretty firm and pleasant, and leaves streaks of static carbonation as it's tilted. Looks good.

Nose is hoppy, but in a generic way: clear slightly vegetative or oily pine characters, above a solid cushion of sweet maltiness. It's fragrant, but it doesn't really offer anything above the ordinary.

Taste is a little flat, but it's actually pleasantly balanced. Mild tangy hops above a clean malt presence. It forms a slightly biscuity base, while the hops (while still generic) provide a nice cleansing and slightly herbal bitterness on the back. Feel is slightly thick, partially because of the build up of hops on the back.

Overall, this is a pretty generic IPA, but it has a cleanness and a nice balance to it. Let's just say it does "generic IPA" really very well.

08-18-2012 10:14:04 | More by lacqueredmouse
Zorro

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

Clear amber colored beer with a white head with a yellow tint to it. This is the color of beer I call IPA Orange.

Smell is hoppy mostly pine and menthol. Woody smells mostly cedar wood and tea.

Starts out sweet and hoppy. Hop flavor is mostly cedar. Moderate bitterness. Still too sweet.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall, too sweet.

01-24-2012 03:58:34 | More by Zorro
corby112

2.85/5  rDev -22.8%

Draft at Hamilton's in San Diego.

Pours a hazy dark golden orange color with a half finger white head that immediately disappears. Not much in the way of lacing.

Slightly earthy aroma with very muted hop character.  Subtle grass, pine and floral hops with a touch of citrus and lots of alcohol.

Medium bodied with a strong bitter hop presence up front that's quickly countered by tropical fruit and alcohol.  Again, the hops are muted by light fruit and sweet booze.  Hints of apricot,  pineapple, grapefruit and orange peel but it's kind of weak.

02-08-2012 20:46:28 | More by corby112
woodychandler

4.58/5  rDev +24.1%

My local, in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped off a Quart (!) CAN for me in his latest box. My eyes went wide in wonderment and now, I am simply anxious to try it. I remember BMCS (SW) Gerry Wargo as referring to everyone as "Shipwreck" vice the standard "Shipmate". Ha! I wonder how different I might have been had I not started out in Deck Department ...

From the 32 Fluid Ounces/946 ml CAN: "1913 [-] 2007"; "Keep Refigerated [,] Please Recycle"; "Double India Pale Ale - A style of beer curiously born on the foggy shores of Father Junipero Serra's first founding mission. Our own vigorous entry is one rebellious IPA, quick on the trigger, and brimming with a bounty of hop ingenuity. This is a big, bold, brazen beer, a restless vision of a new America. Brewed by Mission Brewery, [CAN] Diego, [CAN]ifornia 92101."

Man, I actually had some difficulty in achieving the Crack! on this one! It made a noise like a steel drum and then opened up to reveal another brimful craft CAN. The Glug will be whatever I CAN make happen once I get the crane into position to hoist it up. Some slight spillage occurred due to the opening being positioned further back than normal for a CAN. Fortunately, my tongue was lolling out of my mouth anyway, so I put it to work swabbing up the excess. Arrrrgh! This is destined to be a nautical review and so I gave the word to avast heaving around to assess what had transpired. Two dense, foamy fingers of tawny head with good retention was the word returning from the fo'c'sle. We staged it there as it was the only place on deck with enough room to CANduct this operation. Color was a hazy copper (SRM = > 17, < 22) and I ordered the torches brought out so that we could cut it down into reasonable sizes. The nose was rich with minty hops underlain by caramel malt and I suddenly understood why it was marked with the Jolly Roger - this was death by DIPA and it meant to take no prisoners. "What ho!?!" I cried out and throwing all remaining caution to the wind, took my first draught. My poor, bruised tongue was the first casualty in the assault. This came ashore like a battering ram and immediately went to work on the already weakened bulkhead of my taste buds. Soon, it was worming its way into my tongue like I had sprayed it with hydrofluoric acid! "Arrrgh, it burns, lads!" I cried out in a combination of agony and ecstasy. The boys broke out fire hoses and began watering me down in a valiant effort to stave off the attack, but to no avail. Having breached the initial bulkhead, it took to flooding the bilges of my empty stomach. It was not long before I began to founder, listing back and forth, to and fro, finally settling on a heavy starboard list. The boys began writing a grocery list in the hopes of righting me but in the meantime, wave after wave of marauders came aboard and before long, half of the monstrous CAN was aboard, biting, attacking and just being a general nuisance. I gave the order to abandon ship, but my crew refused to obey, instead forming a bucket brigade to try and remove this powerful liquid. Sensing their loyalty and reluctance to give up, I met the CAN head on, CANsuming a mighty draught just as another wave poured forth from the CAN and into my glass. "What, ho!?!" I cried out. "No quarter is to be given and none is expected," came the unforgiving reply. My eyes began to tear up, not of my own volition, but because the onslaught was too much for any one person to bear. I was getting very minty hops and alcohol heat from it and the finish was so dry that Zephyr winds began to blow, filling my sails and propelling me away from this beast. I stepped back to assess the damages and things were in utter disarray. Holes blown in the sails, masts broken and sheared off, more holes in the hull than I could count, a starboard list that could not be overcome and worst of all, sticky lacing that not even the needle guns could prove capable of removing. I put my head down and began to weep openly but just as I did, the lookout sounded a sighting. This beast was not done with us! It tacked around and let fly another volley as though from a bottomless source. "Nooo!" I cried out, but it was too late. We were CANpletely and utterly overrun and there was naught to do but surrender. Unfortunately for me and my crew, there were no terms of surrender in this case and we were summarily executed. If that was the case, then how do I tell this tale? you might ask. The Hoodoo Gurus sang about us on "Death Ship".

In the ultimate irony, the CAN fits directly into the top of a shaker glass. I suppose that if I really wanted an experience, I could have inverted the CAN. Proceed at your own risk.

Serving type: can

02-05-2014 17:29:54 | More by woodychandler
DoubleJ

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

Recommended by the bartender at Eureka! Burger. A San Diego IPA that I haven't tasted yet, let's dig into it:

Poured into a small chalice, this beer looks almost grapefruit red, topped by thin and spotty lace. The nose is a mix of resiny orange and candied orange. Taste-wise, it is a little resiny with orange and "hop juice" dominating that characteristic. Despite the hop juice connnotion, the beer really isn't that bitter, and the 9.25% ABV is hidden well. Feels medium bodied, which is a little lighter than I was expecting for its size, but it goes down round enough for me.

Chalk it up as one more good DIPA to come from San Diego. But you will need to keep your eyes peeled, cuz this could easily get lost in a city where its competition is Stone Ruination, Pure Hoppiness, YuleSmith, etc.

10-23-2011 03:58:39 | More by DoubleJ
Kegatron

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%

On tap @ The Toronado (San Diego, CA) on 3/22/10. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper, with a thin covering of bright-white creamy head. There's a moderate richness to the retention and lacing. Decent little look here. The aroma has some hops going on with it, with some floral notes, pine, and some light pine. However this very sweet overall in the nose, with a muddled mix of sticky fruit and malts. Very sweet here...

The taste is the same, with a LOT of deep sweetness to it from tropical fruits and bready caramel character. The hops only really come out in the back, with pine, spice, and a bit of an off-putting earthy grittiness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a nice firm mouth-filling creaminess to the carbonation. To it's credit, this really isn't showing much alcohol and the feel here is probably the best part of the beer.

Just way too much sweetness here for a DIPA, with more hops needed at the forefront of the profile. I've had a couple of different beers now from Mission and this wasn't one of the better ones.

04-03-2010 00:03:16 | More by Kegatron
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.74/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Shipwrecked Double IPA is the soft amber colour of candle light yet appears extremely dense; were this beer made into a pendant I bet it'd weigh down the whole head. Though far from a dark tone, its glossy, polished complexion looks thick as actual amber. Its head, meanwhile, is so thin and airy as to virtually evaporate entirely.

The aroma is more reminiscent of a Barleywine than a Double IPA; a heavily malt-forward bouquet, there's traces of dried and candied fruits, toffee and biscuits, and a sizable amount of alcohol. It becomes more and more caramelly with warmth. I like its nutty, nougat-y toast but can't help but wonder, where are all the hops?

There's enough lemon oil and orange peel on the palate to assure us that the brewery hasn't forgotten entirely about the little green cones. Its lime juice acidity notwithstanding, the flavour ultimately answers to the bready maltiness as if it was its master. Notes of candied citrus, pine, and bubblegum flash quickly as a bolt of lightning, then they're gone. Bready malt set in.

The resulting aftertaste of dried cherries and toffee squares is notably sweet for a style characterized by its bitterness. Indeed, there's only a vague, inferred presence of tree bark and sappy resins or the above mentioned citrus oils; were it not for a lingering mango fruitiness, I might consider serving this caramelly, biscuity beer with tea (not literally, but you get the idea).

Shipwrecked Double IPA is nothing like the "rebellious, big, bold, brazen beer" Mission Brewery promises, nor is it anything like the overly citrusy, tropical hop-bombs that California - and San Diego in particular - have become notorious for. It drinks like a DIPA that's been aged (the hops faded, the malts at the fore) and isn't on-par with the city's other boldly hoppy offerings.

02-05-2014 01:57:46 | More by biegaman
weeare138

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Fresh bottle in San Diego...and what a huge difference it makes.
Appears a orange toned amber with a fluffy white head that slowly fades. Scattered bits of lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of danky weed, heavy citrus, flowers, perfume, and vibrant hop resin.
Taste is of the aromas with an herbal hop blast with sugary malt. I really like this beer. The herbal and earthiness comes through more as it warms.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, warming, bitter leaning, and mostly balanced.

05-06-2012 05:23:32 | More by weeare138
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

On tap at the TDR hopfest event the other day.

The beer pours an amber copper color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is sweet and a bit spicey, but with some noticeable tobacco, earth and dry citrus. On the palate, this IPA is definitely on the sweet side, something I find a bit unusual in a West Coast IPA. However, there the beer has a considerable bitter finish, which helps to counter that sweetness to some extent. Mouthfeel is fairly light, which surprised me given the abv. The finish is long and bitter, though ultimately the flavor profile is still dominated by the sweet malt. Drinkability is pretty good, with the alcohol well disguised and integrated into the flavor profile.

Nothing extraordinary here, but I thought this nevertheless to be a pretty solid beer.

09-24-2010 01:59:23 | More by johnmichaelsen
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.7/5  rDev -26.8%

Copper pour, decent white head to it with above average retention. Aroma was just bitter and alcohol, not much in the way of hop aromatics.

Pretty bitter and heavy malt bill. So uh, where did the flavor hops go? Bittering hops, sure. But maybe they could have done some dry or flavor hopping additions? Or better ones? Plenty of caramel, but if you're looking for a big mouthfeel of hops, citrus, pine etc. . . you're going to have to keep looking.

Haven't been all that impressed with Mission, they seem like so many johnny come lately's with their simple minded ipa's that are all bitterness and not much else.

01-20-2012 23:13:46 | More by Beerandraiderfan
beerthulhu

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

A: A hazy dull orange, very similar to their original ipa, sits in the glass topped off by an impressive fluffy head of dull linen color. The lacing again is thick and lustrious leaving thin stratified bands down the glass after a slow lapse from its original 2 finger statue. Carbonation is near silent, barely visible, and hardly a factor.

S: Dried lemon pulp and toasted munich grains are exposed. The strength I thought was on par, maybe even a bit less so, then their ipa. Hopefully the hops they skimped on during the aromatic portion were wisely used for flavor.

T: Good strong show of bitterness on the opening sip. Pungent grapefruit, toasted lemon peels, and dry citrus flower comes backed by a dry toasted grain palate. Some dry celery and pine with some dry grassiness are evident as well on the close. Brief glimpses of sweet toasted caramel grains appear right before the swallow that finds a lemon grind and peppery spicing left behind on the tongue. Nice toasted malt balance as with their ipa compliments the bitterness.

M: Medium body, dry toasted malt warmth and a lingering high level of citrus bitterness warms the inner cheeks and tongue. Warm lemons and alcohol chime in as well with a low experience of carbonation.

D: Despite the moderately high level of hop bitterness this was still a joy to consume and a nice drink per style. Nice balance helps with a spicy bite and a gentle lingering fade of citrus makes you thirsty for more.

10-28-2010 23:05:23 | More by beerthulhu
Stinkypuss

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Pours a bright orange with a chill haze. Soapy froth with bubbling craters. Aroma of fruity pineapple juice, and some pine. Tastes of grape fruity hop, a little earthy and resinous. Fairly well balanced with a light caramel and vague toasted malt flavor. A little fresh grapefruit juice and rind flavor. Provides a long standing bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied feel, carbonation is good, alttle thin. Overall, decent beer, bright hoppy flavors, lots of citrus.

05-19-2011 20:57:46 | More by Stinkypuss
Brad007

Vermont

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a dark orange with gold/amber accents and a two-finger head that quickly fades down to lacing.

Citrusy hops upfront with only a touch of buttery malt underneath. Hop-dominant, just as I like them.

A slow-acting shot of bitterness drenches the tongue with a strong touch of grapefruit. Tangy. Spicy.

Alcohol warmth leaves a satisfying warmness in the belly with hops on the breath. Whew. Better hops than garlic.

Good slow-burnin' DIPA for fans of the West Coast style.

03-01-2013 17:14:05 | More by Brad007
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.45/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours quite dark, almost mahogoney in color, with a decent head and some lacing as well. Smells fruity with citrus and slightly spicy. Somewhat simple, but pleasant enough. The taste is a bit strange- slightly smokey, quite malty, and with earthy hops. Doesn't really come together here. A bit grainy in the mouthfeel, and quite spicy and earthy from the hops. Doesn't really strike me as a double IPA, and I wouldn't say this is a beer I'd get again, but it's different.

06-12-2011 02:32:02 | More by Georgiabeer
HopHead84

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

3/18/2011

On tap at URGE.

A: A pleasant dark orange with good clarity. White head is frothy and leaves scattered lacing.

S: Big caramel malt presence with notes of bread, orange, and grapefruit. Moderately bitter with a lower moderate sweetness. Slightly sugary. Gives the impression of balance, though perhaps the scale tilts in the favor of malt.

T: Orange flesh with a strong caramel malt base balancing it out. Grapefruit emerges midpalate with an apparent rind component. Tastes more like an American Barleywine than a Double IPA. Booze is well masked. Caramel really emerges as the beer warms up. Increased booze presence in the caramel citrus finish.

M: Lower medium in body with upper moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is sticky and creamy.

Overall: This is not how I like my Double IPAs, but it wouldn't be a bad American Barleywine.

03-19-2011 01:59:53 | More by HopHead84
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

3.44/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

650ml bottle poured into tulip 1/10/1

A copper body with some suspended particles being moved around by a healthy amount of tiny bubbles that feed a well sustained two finger tan foam that leaves 6 distinct pencil thin rings followed by thick patches, looks great

S malty for the style, loads of toffee, caramels and brown sugar, hops are there no doubt about it with citrus and honey with a faint floral aspect and some booze

T more pine and booze then the nose, some orange creamsicle and lemon rind, again there's loads of burnt sugars and tastes old but I don't think it is, the booze could be hidden a little better too

M thick, syrupy and boozy, almost creamy from the bubbles and not bad in this department but more heat then I'd expect

O decent but nothing great, a little malt forward and the booze pops up more then it should

this is a one and done for me, 11$ a bomber and I could buy much more of a much better beer for the same price.

10-02-2013 02:13:25 | More by wordemupg
ccrida

Oregon

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearence is murkey burnt gold with an olive-tinged off-white head leaving scattered foamy lace.

Smell is strong, sweet citrus hops, some resin.

Taste is hoppy - resin, citrus, bubblegum. Robust alcoholic character.

Mouthfeel is dry, chewy.

Drinkability is reasonably good for such a brash DIPA. Hops are robust, and complex enough on the palate to compensate for the hot finsh. Went down quickly and paired well with a Nicaraguan puro lancero. Drink fresh and cold. Bought ftom the cooler at Vons in San Diego and kept refrigerated until consumption same day.

08-09-2013 05:28:35 | More by ccrida
dirtylou

Washington

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

12oz single, found in the fridge in charlotte

appearance: served in a shaker pint, dark orange-amber body, 3/4" creamy beige head and light retention

smell: grapefruit, bready malt, sweet sugars

taste: ruby red grapefruit, tropical fruit, sweet doughy bread, caramel, pineapple. Juicy hop resin - nice ipa

mouthfeel: medium body, oily

overall: pretty solid

09-25-2011 21:42:38 | More by dirtylou
OWSLEY069

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a clean orange-ish to yellow color with a light tan head. In the aroma, orange citrus and a small pine presence. In the taste, sweet pine and orange citrus hops, with a dryer end. A hop bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry orange citrus in the aftertaste. Big hops and sweet to dry mixture of pine and orange citrus.

04-30-2011 11:53:26 | More by OWSLEY069
avalon07

South Carolina

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a bright copper color and a clear consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Average lacing.

S: A nicely sharp aroma of hops, citrus and malt.

T: Tasted of citrus (a little grapefruit), a good amount of hops, and a hint of malt. Nothing particularly new or groundbreaking here, just a solid flavor.

M: This beer does need a bit of carbonation, but it does have a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is generally a likable, drinkable beer. Not spectacular, but good nonetheless.

10-24-2011 12:07:01 | More by avalon07
largadeer

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

Bomber into a tulip. Amber, almost reddish. The head is lasting and sticky, leaving plenty of lacing.

Lot of grapefruit on the nose. Smells sweet, too. Pretty solid hop character, and the malt isn't overbearing; more candied fruit than straight-up caramel. There's a slight orange quality to the hop bill, hints of pine, but it's largely grapefruit.

The palate has a nice candied grapefruit character, a little sugar cookie sweetness, a bit of caramel and pine. Alcohol is fairly noticeable, but not too harsh for a near-10% beer. I like the citrusy hop character, but there's a little too much sweetness and alcohol for this to compete with the top-tier of San Diego DIPAs. The finish is pleasantly bitter, neither abrasive nor astringent.

Enjoyable stuff, probably worth the $6, but I can't see myself revisiting it any time soon.

11-16-2010 05:23:13 | More by largadeer