Shipwrecked Double IPA - Mission Brewery

Shipwrecked Double IPAShipwrecked Double IPA

good

Mission Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-17-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipwrecked Double IPA Alström Bros

nickfl, May 08, 2013

On at Mad Mex during happy hora, so it didn't kill my pocket book. Drinks nice, just super malty for a DIPA. Definitely not your typical West Coast DIPA. Which actually worked for this beer, usually I like the West Coast DIPA to take the enamel off of my teeth with hops but in this case. I'm alright with a deep orange russet body pouring with a thick beige head, fine even layer lacing. Nose is full of citrus/floral notes very nice expressive finishing hops here. Starts out agressive with citrus/floral notes but as the malts surround the hops the flavor fades into a well balanced high alcohol IPA. Drank pretty effortlessly, was I expecting more hop bitterness and flavor of course, but I wasn't disappointed by it. Mouthfeel is full to medium bodied with a nice flowing carbonation going strong. Overall experience less hops than expected from a West Coast DIPA but it didn't harm the overall enjoyment level this beer had to offer.

WVbeergeek, Apr 25, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

On-tap 4/11/2012 at Track 84, in Warwick, RI served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a bright golden brown color, with a short dense off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains fruity citrus, caramelized malts and floral hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of citrus and caramel followed by a strong hops bitterness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and brings a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly hoppy.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, strong kick, good representation of style, this is a solid 2IPA to drink for a while.

TheManiacalOne, Apr 15, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

On tap @ The Toronado (San Diego, CA) on 3/22/10. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper, with a thin covering of bright-white creamy head. There's a moderate richness to the retention and lacing. Decent little look here. The aroma has some hops going on with it, with some floral notes, pine, and some light pine. However this very sweet overall in the nose, with a muddled mix of sticky fruit and malts. Very sweet here...

The taste is the same, with a LOT of deep sweetness to it from tropical fruits and bready caramel character. The hops only really come out in the back, with pine, spice, and a bit of an off-putting earthy grittiness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a nice firm mouth-filling creaminess to the carbonation. To it's credit, this really isn't showing much alcohol and the feel here is probably the best part of the beer.

Just way too much sweetness here for a DIPA, with more hops needed at the forefront of the profile. I've had a couple of different beers now from Mission and this wasn't one of the better ones.

Kegatron, Apr 03, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

A middle of the road mediore dipa, at best. Too many malts and no real hop influence. A nice drinking experience, but as far as all the characteristics I would hope for the style: not much there. I could do without it, as you can see by the numbers on this one.

RblWthACoz, Aug 15, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a lighter fizzy 1/2 finger head that sticks around a bit at least, nice layered lacing, over mostly clear nectar orange with a slight reddish hue.

Nose has some bittering hops, plenty of malts, sweet malts with some caramel and bready toasty reddish malts. The hops bring some candied like aromas, with light candy orange and earthy syrupy almost hop extract like, and hints of candied tangerine and clementine.

Taste comes sweet, quite sweet actually, lots of malts that just bombard the taste with sweetness and even some syrupy flavors, a bit of a maple like flavor as well that comes with the reddish malts, caramel, toffee, and nougat. Sweetness tries to balance the booze but doesn't quite go far enough, or in thsi case I think too far that the booze comes out the other end... uhhh didn't mean it that way... but the booze still comes out with a warmth and little tingle. The hops are mostly bittering, fairly bitter but not enough to balance the malty sweetness, light candied tangerine and slight clementine like citrus, earthy hops, but not much of any of the flavors, mostly just bittering that even somehow gets a bit astringent. The finish is still fairly syrupy and sweet, it tries to dry but just can't, with a big astringent bitter bite that doesn't want to go away, even with the sweet malty mess, just a bit of booze on the finish as well.

Mouth is heavier bodied, some warming and tingle booze, decent carb, bit syrupy.

Overall not very good, a mess of a beer, way too overboard on the malts, sweetness, and booze, but still somehow finds a way to get too bitter and astringent, and the hops don't add much except the bitterness. Quite undrinkable.

jlindros, May 05, 2012

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a wheat beer glass. Beer is brown and hazy, forms a big off white head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is low. Looks OK.

Malty almost hoppy aroma, not too appetizing for a DIPA.

Well its easy drinking for such a big beer but the bitterness is at best weak. Its not very sweet up front, its a smooth creamy mouthfeel but this is pretty disappointing. Come on Cali, can't you make a good IPA...oh wait...nevermind.

drabmuh, Sep 02, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

In a sea of big, ugly DIPAs, this once seems suave and debonaire. Sensationally aromatic hop flavors with a large malty taste. Not overly bitter, however, for all the hoppy fireworks. Fills the mouth nicely. So full of malt, but very spicy. Some bitter orange flavor, but not the grapefruit pith. Alcohol provides some heat, but on the whole it is very well balanced.

One of the better big IPAs I've had. I think Mission has a more drinkable approach to their use of hops, which I like. On tap at Mitch's Seafood, San Diego.

mactrail, Mar 05, 2012

beernads, Sep 12, 2013

DrunkinYogi, Jun 24, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

Sampled on tap at 1702, Tucson; August 2011
The beer arrives with a half-finger thick, quite pale tan colored head. The beer is a dark copper / amber color that shows a brilliantly clear, full copper hue when held up to the light. The nose has a pungent, clean, bright tropical fruitiness to it that reminds me of lychee, juicy fruit gum, perfectly ripe tangelo zest and very floral apricot as well as just a bright sort of tropical fruitiness (kumquat perhaps). After my nose gets used to the dominant hop character I am able to notice a supporting malt character that contributes subtle aromas of whole grain crackers and perhaps a hint of biscuit. Also a touch of pine and more herbal hop notes are noticeable just underneath the fruit hop notes.

This has a touch of fullness to the body as well as a malt character that also provides a supporting role for the dominant hop flavors; overall though it is quite drinkable like anything called an IPA should be. Again a huge tropical fruit character is found here in the flavor with lots of lychee and ripe kumquat zest coming through in the first sip. There is a firm, slightly herbaceous bitterness that lingers in the finish. The bitterness is actually noticeable from the beginning and adds a bit of a bite throughout, there is also a light herbaceous astringency to the hop character (it isn’t nearly so prevelant as the smooth hop fruitiness) that also contributes some sharpness and bit to help counterbalance the ϋber-fruit quality that defines this beer. The fruitiness can almost have a Christmas like spiciness to it at times (likely more orange zest than anything, but I can’t help but think of cinnamon for some reason).

This is a nice Double IPA, it is quite clean (meaning it doesn’t really have a rough, dank herbal quality to it), which, for me can be quite enjoyable and even ideal, depending on what I am in the mood for.

Gueuzedude, Feb 12, 2012

XmnwildX12, Jan 05, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a nice amber with a firm white head, nice full lace as to be expected with a DIPA.

S: Great tropical fruit nose, pineapple and mango perhaps there's Simcoe in there methinks.

T: Sweet bready malt off the bat, much more malt than I would have expected out of San Diego. Good hop flavour of grapefruit and pineapple, if a little earthy on the back end which was not to my liking.

M: Smooth and creamy. Soft carbonation makes for an easy drinker.

D: This is an OK DIPA, nothing special. Servicable, but not something I'll go back to.

Halcyondays, Feb 17, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: cloudy orange in color with a 1" head that quickly falls. Some spots of lace paint the glass.

Smell: big orange citrus along with some floral hops and a sugary sweetness are easily detectable by the nose.

Taste: big sweet malt presence with caramel, orange, hint of grapefruit, some spiciness, and a bit of alcohol are the main flavors. Bitterness is bold and cuts into the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Lightly crisp throughout with a dry finish. Long aftertaste here.

Drinkability: slow sipping beer. Alcohol keeps this beer to a longer session. Worthy of a try.

Gavage, Nov 06, 2010

GClarkage, Jul 07, 2014

imperialking, Jun 14, 2013

drewone, Jan 03, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +23.8%

My local, in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped off a Quart (!) CAN for me in his latest box. My eyes went wide in wonderment and now, I am simply anxious to try it. I remember BMCS (SW) Gerry Wargo as referring to everyone as "Shipwreck" vice the standard "Shipmate". Ha! I wonder how different I might have been had I not started out in Deck Department ...

From the 32 Fluid Ounces/946 ml CAN: "1913 [-] 2007"; "Keep Refigerated [,] Please Recycle"; "Double India Pale Ale - A style of beer curiously born on the foggy shores of Father Junipero Serra's first founding mission. Our own vigorous entry is one rebellious IPA, quick on the trigger, and brimming with a bounty of hop ingenuity. This is a big, bold, brazen beer, a restless vision of a new America. Brewed by Mission Brewery, [CAN] Diego, [CAN]ifornia 92101."

Man, I actually had some difficulty in achieving the Crack! on this one! It made a noise like a steel drum and then opened up to reveal another brimful craft CAN. The Glug will be whatever I CAN make happen once I get the crane into position to hoist it up. Some slight spillage occurred due to the opening being positioned further back than normal for a CAN. Fortunately, my tongue was lolling out of my mouth anyway, so I put it to work swabbing up the excess. Arrrrgh! This is destined to be a nautical review and so I gave the word to avast heaving around to assess what had transpired. Two dense, foamy fingers of tawny head with good retention was the word returning from the fo'c'sle. We staged it there as it was the only place on deck with enough room to CANduct this operation. Color was a hazy copper (SRM = > 17, < 22) and I ordered the torches brought out so that we could cut it down into reasonable sizes. The nose was rich with minty hops underlain by caramel malt and I suddenly understood why it was marked with the Jolly Roger - this was death by DIPA and it meant to take no prisoners. "What ho!?!" I cried out and throwing all remaining caution to the wind, took my first draught. My poor, bruised tongue was the first casualty in the assault. This came ashore like a battering ram and immediately went to work on the already weakened bulkhead of my taste buds. Soon, it was worming its way into my tongue like I had sprayed it with hydrofluoric acid! "Arrrgh, it burns, lads!" I cried out in a combination of agony and ecstasy. The boys broke out fire hoses and began watering me down in a valiant effort to stave off the attack, but to no avail. Having breached the initial bulkhead, it took to flooding the bilges of my empty stomach. It was not long before I began to founder, listing back and forth, to and fro, finally settling on a heavy starboard list. The boys began writing a grocery list in the hopes of righting me but in the meantime, wave after wave of marauders came aboard and before long, half of the monstrous CAN was aboard, biting, attacking and just being a general nuisance. I gave the order to abandon ship, but my crew refused to obey, instead forming a bucket brigade to try and remove this powerful liquid. Sensing their loyalty and reluctance to give up, I met the CAN head on, CANsuming a mighty draught just as another wave poured forth from the CAN and into my glass. "What, ho!?!" I cried out. "No quarter is to be given and none is expected," came the unforgiving reply. My eyes began to tear up, not of my own volition, but because the onslaught was too much for any one person to bear. I was getting very minty hops and alcohol heat from it and the finish was so dry that Zephyr winds began to blow, filling my sails and propelling me away from this beast. I stepped back to assess the damages and things were in utter disarray. Holes blown in the sails, masts broken and sheared off, more holes in the hull than I could count, a starboard list that could not be overcome and worst of all, sticky lacing that not even the needle guns could prove capable of removing. I put my head down and began to weep openly but just as I did, the lookout sounded a sighting. This beast was not done with us! It tacked around and let fly another volley as though from a bottomless source. "Nooo!" I cried out, but it was too late. We were CANpletely and utterly overrun and there was naught to do but surrender. Unfortunately for me and my crew, there were no terms of surrender in this case and we were summarily executed. If that was the case, then how do I tell this tale? you might ask. The Hoodoo Gurus sang about us on "Death Ship".

In the ultimate irony, the CAN fits directly into the top of a shaker glass. I suppose that if I really wanted an experience, I could have inverted the CAN. Proceed at your own risk.

woodychandler, Feb 05, 2014
2.85/5  rDev -23%

Draft at Hamilton's in San Diego.

Pours a hazy dark golden orange color with a half finger white head that immediately disappears. Not much in the way of lacing.

Slightly earthy aroma with very muted hop character.  Subtle grass, pine and floral hops with a touch of citrus and lots of alcohol.

Medium bodied with a strong bitter hop presence up front that's quickly countered by tropical fruit and alcohol.  Again, the hops are muted by light fruit and sweet booze.  Hints of apricot,  pineapple, grapefruit and orange peel but it's kind of weak.

corby112, Feb 08, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +17%

Fresh bottle in San Diego...and what a huge difference it makes.
Appears a orange toned amber with a fluffy white head that slowly fades. Scattered bits of lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of danky weed, heavy citrus, flowers, perfume, and vibrant hop resin.
Taste is of the aromas with an herbal hop blast with sugary malt. I really like this beer. The herbal and earthiness comes through more as it warms.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, warming, bitter leaning, and mostly balanced.

weeare138, May 06, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle purchased in California, and brought back to Sydney to share with @LaitueGonflable and @tobeerornottobe.

Pours a slightly deeper than golden gold colour, with a touch of copper to it. Head is a frothy, inconsistent film that forms some large bubbles in places and a misty nothingness elsewhere. Body is pretty firm and pleasant, and leaves streaks of static carbonation as it's tilted. Looks good.

Nose is hoppy, but in a generic way: clear slightly vegetative or oily pine characters, above a solid cushion of sweet maltiness. It's fragrant, but it doesn't really offer anything above the ordinary.

Taste is a little flat, but it's actually pleasantly balanced. Mild tangy hops above a clean malt presence. It forms a slightly biscuity base, while the hops (while still generic) provide a nice cleansing and slightly herbal bitterness on the back. Feel is slightly thick, partially because of the build up of hops on the back.

Overall, this is a pretty generic IPA, but it has a cleanness and a nice balance to it. Let's just say it does "generic IPA" really very well.

lacqueredmouse, Aug 18, 2012

wrightst, Sep 13, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

12 ounce bottle without any sort of dating info.

Pours clear, a warm shade of darker honey amber, medium tan head, that stays and stays, leaving a thicker collar and respectable bits of lacing and sheeting. Piney hop nose. Dense, flavorful pine hop notes on the palate, with additions of lime, gin and grapefruit. Yummy stuff is all I can say...quite worthy DIPA

Billolick, Nov 11, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours quite dark, almost mahogoney in color, with a decent head and some lacing as well. Smells fruity with citrus and slightly spicy. Somewhat simple, but pleasant enough. The taste is a bit strange- slightly smokey, quite malty, and with earthy hops. Doesn't really come together here. A bit grainy in the mouthfeel, and quite spicy and earthy from the hops. Doesn't really strike me as a double IPA, and I wouldn't say this is a beer I'd get again, but it's different.

Georgiabeer, Jun 12, 2011