Shipwrecked Double IPA - Mission Brewery

Shipwrecked Double IPAShipwrecked Double IPA

good

Mission Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-17-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipwrecked Double IPA Alström Bros

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

4.07/5  rDev +10%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Burnt orange, with loads of floating sediment and little head.

S - Fruits (orange peel), floral, pine. This should be hoppy and good

T - Honey malts with a burst of sweetness. A long warm spicy finish. Hints of butterscotch.

M - Light backbone with some burn

Straightforward DIPA which allows the flavors to shine thru. Well crafted

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: golden orange, trace white head, few patches in glass

S: pine, light citrus, chalk/floral

T: orange marmalade/peel, chalk, mild bitter/bit boozy oily finish

M: med body, oily/mild sticky mouth

O: Interesting, love trying new breweries.
This is good place to start for Double IPA newbie.

GOOD; NOT MUST BUY!

3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

Light copper color...mixed size bubbles hung around for awhile. Aroma of melons. Taste is immediately rough if not harsh, a significant assault on the tongue to cause "funky face." I've smelled that smell before, and it's often near rotting melons or trash cans. Not pretty. Is that an aerosol component with those esters?!! Humm...clean lines?
On the other hand, this was mailed to me through BeerJobber.com with their Imperial Stout, which I've yet to rate.
Also, in it's defense, there's seemingly a lot of hops and significant malts, butterscotch, and some pine that I enjoy. But the alcohol is strong, and the esters or something makes this an tooth enamel remover...let me take 5 minutes and report back.
Back...oh yes...big melon aroma - can't escape it...bright hop alcohol flavors...ah...hope I'm not shipwrecked with just this beer...let me give it 10 more minutes...
Oh boy...peed, drank water, ate a cookie and this mofo stands out as something that could wreck a ship, or your palate!! This is more of a palate wrecker than Ballast Point's! It's an utter assault but I'm still plowing through and won't pour it out!!! I'll check back in ten.
Ooooh...did I mention toothpaste and candy canes, and , despite all I've said quite unique and intriguing, compelling, and tasty even if I don't quite know if I like it!!...and melon in the nose...~...signing off but I will finish this beer...ayieeee!!!!

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

A: measured my pour into a tulip as I had decided not to include the yeast and sediment from the bottom. Got a slightly hazy pale amber body with a minimal head, off-white in shade.

S: not much of note here, some sweet pale malt smells and hoppy floral notes

T: alcohol overpowered other flavors for me on the first few sips - perhaps I drank it too soon out of the fridge - needed to warm for expected butterscotchy malt flavors and, in this case, sharp pine and subtle resin flavors from the hops

M: astringent on the first few sips, never developed much feel - there was always a slight astringence to offset any smooth coating - even once the beer had warmed - perhaps the damage was done at that point.

O: my most bland scores to-date (300+ reviews as of this entry). For me, not a return-to beer simply because there are so many DIPAs out there that I enjoy that aren't expensive or hard to find. That said, if you're a fan of DIPAs, I'd still say try it anyway. Right?

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%