Shipwrecked Double IPA - Mission Brewery

Shipwrecked Double IPAShipwrecked Double IPA

good

Mission Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-17-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipwrecked Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 908 | Reviews: 225

One of the best IPAs I have ever had. I would go back to this again and again.

4.88/5  rDev +31.5%

Great beer a little heavy but great

4.67/5  rDev +25.9%

Well I must say that I am glad I tried this beer. Pricey perhaps, but it did not disappoint. I am a big fan of Widmer's Nelson Imperial and Dogfish 90 minute, and this is right there with them. This is a local San Diego brew, so I am proud to say this local brew delivered an excellent Imperial IPA with the hoppiness, pine notes, and fruit flavors I love. This beers fills your mouth with sensational flavors that linger well after the last sip- pine, fruit, wonderful hops and a smooth consistancy. I want more.

4.52/5  rDev +21.8%

My local, in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped off a Quart (!) CAN for me in his latest box. My eyes went wide in wonderment and now, I am simply anxious to try it. I remember BMCS (SW) Gerry Wargo as referring to everyone as "Shipwreck" vice the standard "Shipmate". Ha! I wonder how different I might have been had I not started out in Deck Department ...

From the 32 Fluid Ounces/946 ml CAN: "1913 [-] 2007"; "Keep Refigerated [,] Please Recycle"; "Double India Pale Ale - A style of beer curiously born on the foggy shores of Father Junipero Serra's first founding mission. Our own vigorous entry is one rebellious IPA, quick on the trigger, and brimming with a bounty of hop ingenuity. This is a big, bold, brazen beer, a restless vision of a new America. Brewed by Mission Brewery, [CAN] Diego, [CAN]ifornia 92101."

Man, I actually had some difficulty in achieving the Crack! on this one! It made a noise like a steel drum and then opened up to reveal another brimful craft CAN. The Glug will be whatever I CAN make happen once I get the crane into position to hoist it up. Some slight spillage occurred due to the opening being positioned further back than normal for a CAN. Fortunately, my tongue was lolling out of my mouth anyway, so I put it to work swabbing up the excess. Arrrrgh! This is destined to be a nautical review and so I gave the word to avast heaving around to assess what had transpired. Two dense, foamy fingers of tawny head with good retention was the word returning from the fo'c'sle. We staged it there as it was the only place on deck with enough room to CANduct this operation. Color was a hazy copper (SRM = > 17, < 22) and I ordered the torches brought out so that we could cut it down into reasonable sizes. The nose was rich with minty hops underlain by caramel malt and I suddenly understood why it was marked with the Jolly Roger - this was death by DIPA and it meant to take no prisoners. "What ho!?!" I cried out and throwing all remaining caution to the wind, took my first draught. My poor, bruised tongue was the first casualty in the assault. This came ashore like a battering ram and immediately went to work on the already weakened bulkhead of my taste buds. Soon, it was worming its way into my tongue like I had sprayed it with hydrofluoric acid! "Arrrgh, it burns, lads!" I cried out in a combination of agony and ecstasy. The boys broke out fire hoses and began watering me down in a valiant effort to stave off the attack, but to no avail. Having breached the initial bulkhead, it took to flooding the bilges of my empty stomach. It was not long before I began to founder, listing back and forth, to and fro, finally settling on a heavy starboard list. The boys began writing a grocery list in the hopes of righting me but in the meantime, wave after wave of marauders came aboard and before long, half of the monstrous CAN was aboard, biting, attacking and just being a general nuisance. I gave the order to abandon ship, but my crew refused to obey, instead forming a bucket brigade to try and remove this powerful liquid. Sensing their loyalty and reluctance to give up, I met the CAN head on, CANsuming a mighty draught just as another wave poured forth from the CAN and into my glass. "What, ho!?!" I cried out. "No quarter is to be given and none is expected," came the unforgiving reply. My eyes began to tear up, not of my own volition, but because the onslaught was too much for any one person to bear. I was getting very minty hops and alcohol heat from it and the finish was so dry that Zephyr winds began to blow, filling my sails and propelling me away from this beast. I stepped back to assess the damages and things were in utter disarray. Holes blown in the sails, masts broken and sheared off, more holes in the hull than I could count, a starboard list that could not be overcome and worst of all, sticky lacing that not even the needle guns could prove capable of removing. I put my head down and began to weep openly but just as I did, the lookout sounded a sighting. This beast was not done with us! It tacked around and let fly another volley as though from a bottomless source. "Nooo!" I cried out, but it was too late. We were CANpletely and utterly overrun and there was naught to do but surrender. Unfortunately for me and my crew, there were no terms of surrender in this case and we were summarily executed. If that was the case, then how do I tell this tale? you might ask. The Hoodoo Gurus sang about us on "Death Ship".

In the ultimate irony, the CAN fits directly into the top of a shaker glass. I suppose that if I really wanted an experience, I could have inverted the CAN. Proceed at your own risk.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

This is an amazing beer...I love the smooth finish...sweet yet no smack of alcohol or bitterness...well balanced for that much 9.25% alcohol...I can't really find any typical disappointments to this beer...the only criticism is that I prefer a slightly more pronounced hop in the citrus flavor...I would serve to my buddies with pride.

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

Mission's Shipwrecked Double IPA pours a surprisingly hazy, almost cloudy, deep-amber orange body beneath a frothy head of off-white. (Perhaps I simply didn't allow the bottle to sit undisturbed for long enough). The head retention is quite good, and it leaves excellent lacing about the glass.

The aroma is soft and smooth, offering up sweetish golden-caramel malt tones threaded through with resinous, gently citrusy (some Simcoe? Amarillo?), piney, and grassy hop notes.

In the mouth it's medium-full and decidedly dextrinous, delivering a creamy-smooth pass across the palate with just a gentle caress from the median carbonation level.

The flavor is as the aroma suggests it will be, but with a backing of solid hop bitterness to keep it in balance. It starts with an almost doughy sweet malt that glistens with drizzled golden caramel; adds to that a delicate bit of yeasty fruitiness; and then dives straight into a hay bail of grassy, leafy, citrusy and floral hop flavors featuring orange, apricot, papaya and a bit of rose. The bitterness rises late mid-palate, and the alcohol adds a flash of peppery spiciness. In the finish the malt sweetness and bitterness slowly fade and rise respectively, eventually balancing amidst lingering notes of malt and hop flavor.

I appreciate that Mission has avoided going for a big juicy hop bomb loaded with all of the raspy edges that citrusy hops can deliver. And they've also stayed away from the pine cone hand grenade! There's a bit of citrus and pine to it, but I find more apricot, papaya, and Fruit Loops than I do pineapple and grapefruit, and I think that gives them a little bit of uniqueness amidst the crowd. And it certainly lends to drinkability. It's a big beer, no doubt, but it doesn't really show beyond the malt and mouthfeel. The alcohol is well cloaked for the most part, and the maltiness balances it superbly. Well rounded. Well hopped. Worth seeking out!

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

Bottle into a perfect pint glass

A - clear golden orange body with a small white head on top

S - A nice hoppy citrus/tropical fruit mix, leaning more toward the citrus. Smells pretty nice actually.

T - Big citrus notes mingle with a solid pale malt body but this definitely leans toward the hops. A bit of a lingering orange rind like bitterness at the end. A nice tropical fruit flavor up front as well. Also a bit of an alcohol flavor mixed in as well but it blends real well.

M - medium bodied, slightly sticky, fair amount of carbonation

D - pretty nice west coast style DIPA. I am surprised I hadn't heard of this one before picking it up as its a very solid beer. I would have no problem drinking more of this and would pick it up again in the future.

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

This is one of my favorite Double IPA's. it has a smoothe head with an absolute flavorful finish. a bit on the dark side for an IPA but thats what is great about this beer. A different turn for an IPA. I thought it went great with a steak and potatoe dinner. Not to heavy and the word light is not an option for this brew.

4.45/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

smells great, but not enough hop taste

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

A: Pours red with a sticky white head that disappears quickly

S: A mix of piney and citrus hops right up front, with huge hints of sticky caramel sweetness. Slight hints of tropical fruit, mostly pineapple.

T: Huge blast of piney hops up front, quickly swallowed by a generous caramel and malt sweetness. The end offers a touch of citrus hop bite, also leaving a sticky resin feeling in the mouth with lingering sweetness from the malt. Awesome.

O: This is a fantastic double IPA. I'll definitely be grabbing more of this stuff.

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

Pours a deep orange in color with a small head. Had a sort retention time and leaves lacing round the glass

Smells great. Sweet and nutty.

Taste very balanced for a double ipa. Hoppy bitterness, hints of nuts and a smoky after taste. Smooth going down

Overall it's a very goo dbl ipa

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A-Bright caramel color with a big frothy cream colored head. The head leaves nice lacing as it dissipates.

S-Nice starburst aroma, grapefruit, citrus, a little earthy. Very impressive.

T-starburst, citrus, pine, earthy, malty, sweet and bitterness that lingers on the finish

M-Light bodied and appropriately carbonated. I would say it's not dry.

D-I'm pretty impressed with an off the shelf IIPA, that's saying a lot. The awesome hop presence, bitterness and light sweetness from the malts hides the 9% very well. I'm pleasantly surprised.

4.32/5  rDev +16.4%

Fresh bottle in San Diego...and what a huge difference it makes.
Appears a orange toned amber with a fluffy white head that slowly fades. Scattered bits of lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of danky weed, heavy citrus, flowers, perfume, and vibrant hop resin.
Taste is of the aromas with an herbal hop blast with sugary malt. I really like this beer. The herbal and earthiness comes through more as it warms.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, warming, bitter leaning, and mostly balanced.

4.32/5  rDev +16.4%

Perhaps one of the best Double IPA I've had in a long while. Perfect bitterness and smooth.

4.31/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottle bought in Plesanton CA. Darker yellow orange body. Big resin aroma. Not too flowery smelling and not much sweet. Initial taste is semi sweet malt followed by the big resin taste, ending with a lingering citrus pineapple flavor. Really enjoyable.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Had on tap at World of Beer in Va., in a snifter

A: dark reddish brown; good carbonation and lacing; 1/2 finger head
S: bready, malty, sweet; lingers nicely
T: intense, complex, bitter, astringent; grass, piney grapefruit; medium sweetness; well balanced array of malt, hops, yeast.

Very solid DIPA.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Amber, very slight haze. 1” fluffy foam head, slight orange tint, foam has fairly small bubbles. Thick ledges of lace cling to the glass.
S: fresh, spicy, floral, herbal, light fruit
T: Starts with light caramel and biscuit supporting fruity, citrusy yeast and hop flavors. The hops are big but are as much about flavor as bitterness.
F: Creamy, very soft in the mouth, medium body, medium carbonation.
O: A nice big beer that you can drink instead of a bourbon or a gin and tonic.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

They sell this in 1 quart cans at the local grocery store. It's often on sale for 7 bucks, but usually around 9. All that, and it's a very decent beer. My only complaint is that I always spill the first few drops when trying to pour from a full can.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

Had on tap in November 2014.

Appearance: Cloudy amber with rocky off-white head that left a fair amount of lacing on the way down.

Smell: Very nice aromatic hops. Floral and resiny, a bit fruity.

Taste: Pretty strong bitterness hits right up front, into a hardy malt backbone with just a bit of sweetness. Leaves a slightly bitter aftertaste. Did not notice the alcohol much.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated and pretty thick.

Overall: Good not-too-bitter DIPA. Plenty of hops, leaning more towards the aroma than taste, with enough malts behind it to give it some body.

4.22/5  rDev +13.7%

12 oz.

Pours a deep clear honey gold, minimal sudsy white head retains as a lacing.

Smells of rich caramel and strong pine hops.

Tastes honey sweet with a bit of caramel and apple, followed by some potent pine hop that is bitter, but not overly so.

Smooth and thick with a syrupy feel, a slight sting of carbonation on the tip of the tongue.

Delicious wonderful IPA, among the better ones I've had in the imperial style for sure. IPA fans won't want to miss this. Hides its strength well, but not completely. Very enjoyable brew.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

12 ounce bottle without any sort of dating info.

Pours clear, a warm shade of darker honey amber, medium tan head, that stays and stays, leaving a thicker collar and respectable bits of lacing and sheeting. Piney hop nose. Dense, flavorful pine hop notes on the palate, with additions of lime, gin and grapefruit. Yummy stuff is all I can say...quite worthy DIPA

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Not overly Hoppy and citrusy. Good mouth feel, solid dipa flavor, nothing amazing but I don't think it's trying to be. Overall real tasty and you can find it in a 32oz can, bonus.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

A: Pours a dark amber color with some vibrance and solid one finger of off white head. The head fell but kept some foam around. Some lace.

S: Lots of citrus with grapefruit leading the way. Taking some time with this beer reveals some pine and herbal aromas along with multi-grain cracker.

T: Hops come on strong and hold all the way through with grapefruit, pineapple and citrus. There is a lot of herbal spiciness. In the mid swig I get the sensation of malt with toasted multi grain bread and roasted grain but then its back to all about the hops. The end comes with a bitter bite that smacks of pine and herbal flavors.

M: Just right for the beer: medium with a slight bit of chew and syrupy.

O: I feel like this beer is better than my rating but thats just how it came out. Its a big juicy hop bomb that delivers on what you want out of a DIPA.

4.17/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This is just a damn good beer. There is nothing exceptionally great here. It is not a diamond in the rough,but with so many dipas out there, this one is in the top 5%.

4.17/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is the second of three Missions I have accepted for this weekend. Like the blonde, I like this one. It has the right color and plenty of head.

It has enough aroma so you know what's coming. Somewhat boozy aroma, but no funky artifacts. The taste is like the smell. Not quite syrupy, but plenty malty. It's a pretty good balance overall. The aftertaste is somewhat boozy too.

I might buy this again but the $3/bottle price tag will probably have me looking elsewhere.

Shipwrecked Double IPA from Mission Brewery