2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shipwrecked Double IPA - Mission Brewery

Shipwrecked Double IPAShipwrecked Double IPA

good

Mission Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-17-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipwrecked Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 635 | Reviews: 193 | Show All Ratings:
reebtaerG

Maryland

3.69/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured 22oz bottle into New Belgium globe

A-Pours a slightly hazy dark copper body under a one finger tight bubbled off-white head.

S-The the aroma is prominent malty with light hops that are piney and resiny over the sweet caramel malt base.

T-Taste is sweet up front, then bitter, citrus and lingering bitterness,

M-Medium to full bodied with a slightly chewy and sticky body, soft gentle carbonation.

O-Overall an average DIPA that hides the hops.

04-17-2014 20:08:41 | More by reebtaerG
MrHopHead420

2.1/5  rDev -43.1%

Bought this with moderate expectations. Made this account just to write this review. The beer might be a lot better if it was packaged more properly. Like a lot of people, I nearly refuse to drink a craft beer straight from the can. Likewise, I felt the need to pour this brew into my Russian River nonic pint glass. I lost about a quarter of the beer by simply trying to pour the damn thing. I created a second air hole in the can and all and I could not get a proper pour without most the beer trailing down the can and making a damn mess everywhere. I finally got enough poured out so I could properly pour the rest of the damn beer and because it wouldn't pour properly, the beer foamed up obnoxiously. In the end, I got a hoppy, and clean flavor with a flat carbonation. Probably never going to revisit. Most terrible can design I have ever seen, hands down. It affects my experience with the beer, so yes, I feel like it ruined the quality of my beer. Would have had a decent score if I could have managed a good crisp sip or two, but even the taste isn't anything to die for and doesn't stand out amongst the other DIPAs available. Couldn't even get that from the first three sips from the can. If you don't have a problem drinking a beast of a brew from an insanely big can, then give it a shot. If you wish to pour this beer, find something better. The beer wasn't even worth the price in the first place.

03-08-2014 21:06:48 | More by MrHopHead420
Franziskaner

Missouri

3.66/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Amber reddish hue with a light wisp of white head. Great clarity. Pine like hop aroma is fairly prevalent along with a bit of a citrus aroma. The taste is a blend of pine and citrus hops. There's primarily a citrus hop flavor in the fade. Mouth is thick and sticky which is true to style.

03-06-2014 05:35:03 | More by Franziskaner
DenverHopHead

Colorado

3.91/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap, poured into a snifter.
Appearance - orange, if not an amber hue; mild cream head that leaves adequate lacing.
Smell - some citrus fruit, but more pine. Agree with another reviewer that this comes off more as a barley wine nose vs a DIPA.
Taste - hop forward, strong malt presence, warming alcohol; what you expect from the style.
Feel - medium body, not as easy to drink as many other West Coast DIPA's.
Overall - pretty average for the style to me, and well below average for the region.

02-17-2014 13:29:55 | More by DenverHopHead
woodychandler

4.58/5  rDev +24.1%

My local, in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped off a Quart (!) CAN for me in his latest box. My eyes went wide in wonderment and now, I am simply anxious to try it. I remember BMCS (SW) Gerry Wargo as referring to everyone as "Shipwreck" vice the standard "Shipmate". Ha! I wonder how different I might have been had I not started out in Deck Department ...

From the 32 Fluid Ounces/946 ml CAN: "1913 [-] 2007"; "Keep Refigerated [,] Please Recycle"; "Double India Pale Ale - A style of beer curiously born on the foggy shores of Father Junipero Serra's first founding mission. Our own vigorous entry is one rebellious IPA, quick on the trigger, and brimming with a bounty of hop ingenuity. This is a big, bold, brazen beer, a restless vision of a new America. Brewed by Mission Brewery, [CAN] Diego, [CAN]ifornia 92101."

Man, I actually had some difficulty in achieving the Crack! on this one! It made a noise like a steel drum and then opened up to reveal another brimful craft CAN. The Glug will be whatever I CAN make happen once I get the crane into position to hoist it up. Some slight spillage occurred due to the opening being positioned further back than normal for a CAN. Fortunately, my tongue was lolling out of my mouth anyway, so I put it to work swabbing up the excess. Arrrrgh! This is destined to be a nautical review and so I gave the word to avast heaving around to assess what had transpired. Two dense, foamy fingers of tawny head with good retention was the word returning from the fo'c'sle. We staged it there as it was the only place on deck with enough room to CANduct this operation. Color was a hazy copper (SRM = > 17, < 22) and I ordered the torches brought out so that we could cut it down into reasonable sizes. The nose was rich with minty hops underlain by caramel malt and I suddenly understood why it was marked with the Jolly Roger - this was death by DIPA and it meant to take no prisoners. "What ho!?!" I cried out and throwing all remaining caution to the wind, took my first draught. My poor, bruised tongue was the first casualty in the assault. This came ashore like a battering ram and immediately went to work on the already weakened bulkhead of my taste buds. Soon, it was worming its way into my tongue like I had sprayed it with hydrofluoric acid! "Arrrgh, it burns, lads!" I cried out in a combination of agony and ecstasy. The boys broke out fire hoses and began watering me down in a valiant effort to stave off the attack, but to no avail. Having breached the initial bulkhead, it took to flooding the bilges of my empty stomach. It was not long before I began to founder, listing back and forth, to and fro, finally settling on a heavy starboard list. The boys began writing a grocery list in the hopes of righting me but in the meantime, wave after wave of marauders came aboard and before long, half of the monstrous CAN was aboard, biting, attacking and just being a general nuisance. I gave the order to abandon ship, but my crew refused to obey, instead forming a bucket brigade to try and remove this powerful liquid. Sensing their loyalty and reluctance to give up, I met the CAN head on, CANsuming a mighty draught just as another wave poured forth from the CAN and into my glass. "What, ho!?!" I cried out. "No quarter is to be given and none is expected," came the unforgiving reply. My eyes began to tear up, not of my own volition, but because the onslaught was too much for any one person to bear. I was getting very minty hops and alcohol heat from it and the finish was so dry that Zephyr winds began to blow, filling my sails and propelling me away from this beast. I stepped back to assess the damages and things were in utter disarray. Holes blown in the sails, masts broken and sheared off, more holes in the hull than I could count, a starboard list that could not be overcome and worst of all, sticky lacing that not even the needle guns could prove capable of removing. I put my head down and began to weep openly but just as I did, the lookout sounded a sighting. This beast was not done with us! It tacked around and let fly another volley as though from a bottomless source. "Nooo!" I cried out, but it was too late. We were CANpletely and utterly overrun and there was naught to do but surrender. Unfortunately for me and my crew, there were no terms of surrender in this case and we were summarily executed. If that was the case, then how do I tell this tale? you might ask. The Hoodoo Gurus sang about us on "Death Ship".

In the ultimate irony, the CAN fits directly into the top of a shaker glass. I suppose that if I really wanted an experience, I could have inverted the CAN. Proceed at your own risk.

02-05-2014 17:29:54 | More by woodychandler
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.74/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Shipwrecked Double IPA is the soft amber colour of candle light yet appears extremely dense; were this beer made into a pendant I bet it'd weigh down the whole head. Though far from a dark tone, its glossy, polished complexion looks thick as actual amber. Its head, meanwhile, is so thin and airy as to virtually evaporate entirely.

The aroma is more reminiscent of a Barleywine than a Double IPA; a heavily malt-forward bouquet, there's traces of dried and candied fruits, toffee and biscuits, and a sizable amount of alcohol. It becomes more and more caramelly with warmth. I like its nutty, nougat-y toast but can't help but wonder, where are all the hops?

There's enough lemon oil and orange peel on the palate to assure us that the brewery hasn't forgotten entirely about the little green cones. Its lime juice acidity notwithstanding, the flavour ultimately answers to the bready maltiness as if it was its master. Notes of candied citrus, pine, and bubblegum flash quickly as a bolt of lightning, then they're gone. Bready malt set in.

The resulting aftertaste of dried cherries and toffee squares is notably sweet for a style characterized by its bitterness. Indeed, there's only a vague, inferred presence of tree bark and sappy resins or the above mentioned citrus oils; were it not for a lingering mango fruitiness, I might consider serving this caramelly, biscuity beer with tea (not literally, but you get the idea).

Shipwrecked Double IPA is nothing like the "rebellious, big, bold, brazen beer" Mission Brewery promises, nor is it anything like the overly citrusy, tropical hop-bombs that California - and San Diego in particular - have become notorious for. It drinks like a DIPA that's been aged (the hops faded, the malts at the fore) and isn't on-par with the city's other boldly hoppy offerings.

02-05-2014 01:57:46 | More by biegaman
DrinkerX

3.41/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a quart can:
Appearance - Very nice cloudy orange color with a thick head poured into a stemmed session glass. Nice lingering lace.
Smell - Definitely get the hops on first smell, along with an alcohol on the next whiff. Not overpowering , but a slightly sweet, piney scent.
Taste - Slight pine with slight tropical fruit. Bitter aftertaste.
Mouthfeel - Full-bodied. Not too bitter.
Overall - As a DIPA lover, this was an okay offering but lacked the complex flavor I expected from an IPA, especially a San Diego IPA.

01-07-2014 00:23:21 | More by DrinkerX
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.96/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 946 mL can. Pours a big three fingers of head on a fairly clear dark straw colored body.
The aroma is pine forest, lemon and tropical fruits. Very nice.
The taste starts with bold pine bitterness, but moves to a mildly sweet pineapple flavor. It finishes with moderate lemon bitterness. Great profile and balance.
The texture is softer with moderate carbonation.
Complex flavor and drinkability make this a winner.

12-29-2013 21:55:37 | More by Fatehunter
CA_brewster

3.36/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The appearance on this brew is quite nice it has a beautiful amber/copper color. The nose on this brew is very alcoholic but it has some nice resinous hoppy undertones. Pineapple really comes to mind when sniffing on this thing but it is dominated by malty alcohol. The taste on this beer isn't great. A good amount of alcohol comes across on the palate. Once past the alcohol this is quite a malty beer with roasty caramel characteristics but it is dominated by alcohol. The brew is not too bitter. The bitterness it does have seems to be from the alcohol rather than from the hops. Needs more hops! Not particularly good the way it is as it lacks the hop presence of a good DIPA, but this thing is perfectly drinkable.

12-17-2013 18:20:34 | More by CA_brewster
beergoot

Colorado

3.96/5  rDev +7.3%

Bright and clear, orange-colored body with a very thick, persistent, foamy head. Heady swirls of hop aromas suggesting oranges, pineapple, pine, and grape jelly. Warm and soft toasted grain flavors and feel with a soothing hop bitterness. Medium-light body; crisp, clean; dry finish.

A nicely done DIPA that looks great and tastes just as good. Good mix of bitterness and alcohol warmth at the finish. Feels rather light for such a big beer, but the mouthfeel just makes this excellent beer all the more drinkable.

12-16-2013 22:05:42 | More by beergoot
Auraan

Arizona

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a nice cloudy orange with a one finger white head. Quite nice looking, very true to it's style. Scents of wet grass, citrus pith, pineapple, tropical fruit, citrus juice, grapefruit, a hint of grain and some alcohol notes. Very much a DIPA in the nose, with maybe a bit more alcohol than some other notable examples of the style. Quite nice however. Taste starts with bitter citrus pith and pine resin, before moving into grapefruit in the middle, with some faint hints of apricot and tropical fruit. It's not as bitter as many DIPAs, and seems a little low on hops for the style. There is also a bit of alcohol in there, of the rubbing alcohol persuasion. It's not a horrible flavor profile, but I've tasted more complex, more bold, more flavorful DIPAs. Mouthfeel is medium-heavy bodied, moderate in carbonation and with an oily/slick mouthfeel. It's true to style, easy to drink, not much more to say. Overall it's a pretty good DIPA, but it's not fantastic, and there are certainly better examples of West Coast DIPAs out there. I'd have it again, but not over a lot of other DIPAs out there.

11-07-2013 05:18:00 | More by Auraan
wvsabbath

West Virginia

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving Type - 32oz can

Appearance - Golden tan, burnt orange with a nice 2 inch foamy as hell, tons of lacing.

Smell - Piney hops, grapefruit, orange, grapes, very citric. A nice mix of lemon and honey. Some minor malts near the finish along with a little alcohol.

Taste - First sip starts off with a roasty and caramel malt flavor. Hops actually take a backseat to the malts but provide some citric notes. Alcohol is present throughout this brew. Some sugars, lemon , honey and brown sugar also add some flavor. Very warm beer with a boozy finish.

Mouthfeel - Malts and hops nail the tongue along with some alcohol. Palate gets more of the same, along with some sugars and spices. and more alcohol warmth. The aftertaste is malty, citric and alcohol.

Overall - Hmm, not a bad beer but its roasty, burnt malt reminds me a lot of dogfish head 90 minute ipa. The alcohol is too present and the malts are too upfront so the balance in this isn't that great. Still its decent to drink, but man in a 32 oz can by myself, I will be sipping on this one for a hour or two. Work a drink if you like malt forward dipas, espically like great divine's Hercules and such.

11-03-2013 19:43:08 | More by wvsabbath
bluejacket74

3.79/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

32 ounce can. Served in a DFH snifter, the beer pours a hazy dark orange/amber color with about an inch light tan head. Head retention and lacing are both good. The brew smells like citrusy (grapefruit, tropical fruit) hops, along wtih some caramel and bready malt. It tastes like citrusy (tropical fruit, grapefruit, orange peel) and pine hops, caramel and bready malt, and toffee. There's also a good bittersweet finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's creamy and easy to drink with moderate carbonation. I think it's a good brew, and at $7.99 a can (or cannon as I think Mission calls these big cans) I'd pick this up again.

11-02-2013 22:48:25 | More by bluejacket74
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.8/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

With the delicate teeter that distinguishes dry and hoppy IPA versus the uptick in strength that would cause a 'drinking' beer to become a 'sipping' one, this is the line that Shipwrecked tries to straddle.

Starting with the common hazy honey-amber appearance, a frothy white head emerges to cap the beer with long-standing retention and intermittent lace. Handsome enough, the ale sells the Imperial appearance well but without becoming any kind of a standout.

Its powerful aromatics are a blend of high hops, balancing sweetness and a spicy tinge of alcohol. Its citrus focus is undeniable as notes of grapefruit come to mind. But then come waves of grass, caramel, liqueur, and pine.

To taste, its the caramel, honey and barley flavor create a bready type of sweetness that buffers the palate against the hop and alcohol onslaught to come. Its smooth balance is part creamy caramel and part citrus as the taste of ripe grapefruit, orange juices and tangy tropical flavor weaves into an even-keel middle palate. But thereafter, the sweetness dissolves and its bitterness grows- turning to citrus pith, then to grass and then arriving at pine sap-type of bitterness. Fleeting sweetness allows also for a rise of alcohol spice that pricks against the tongue like vodka.

Despite its balanced and succulent taste, the beer's body is lush with caramel and creaminess. But as its body slowly relaxes, it is shy in offering up the dryish tone that the style deserves. Bold from start to finish, the ale only finishes malty-dry and lingers into a separated boozy warmth.

Still, Mission's Shipwrecked is a formidable Imperial IPA that has a sweetish tone and prefers a less-than-dry finish. If you're looking to get into hops but have found standard American IPA's too lopsided, then this might be your segway beer.

10-30-2013 06:40:09 | More by BEERchitect
Aaron_Ramson

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Very strong and boozy with caramel flavored dominating the malt profile and a sharp clean back-end bitterness countering it. Not your typical West Coast hop profile; lots of citrus to be sure but there was also tropical fruit flavors as well as some herbal tea-like qualities as well. A very potent DIPA that I recommend to all fans of the style.

10-27-2013 17:03:02 | More by Aaron_Ramson
dougfur

2.96/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This was recommended to me by a clerk at a beer store. Poured into a glass, it is a pretty beer with a notable orangy color and nice head. Very clear. The smell is syrupy, sweet and with some yeast flavor. The taste is too, except worse. It's very boozy and I can hardly detect any hop presence. It does not taste anything like a DIPA to me. I'm trying to be generous in my review because it's possible the bottles were very old, but this is one of the worst DIPA's I've ever had.

10-27-2013 02:06:05 | More by dougfur
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

3.44/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

650ml bottle poured into tulip 1/10/1

A copper body with some suspended particles being moved around by a healthy amount of tiny bubbles that feed a well sustained two finger tan foam that leaves 6 distinct pencil thin rings followed by thick patches, looks great

S malty for the style, loads of toffee, caramels and brown sugar, hops are there no doubt about it with citrus and honey with a faint floral aspect and some booze

T more pine and booze then the nose, some orange creamsicle and lemon rind, again there's loads of burnt sugars and tastes old but I don't think it is, the booze could be hidden a little better too

M thick, syrupy and boozy, almost creamy from the bubbles and not bad in this department but more heat then I'd expect

O decent but nothing great, a little malt forward and the booze pops up more then it should

this is a one and done for me, 11$ a bomber and I could buy much more of a much better beer for the same price.

10-02-2013 02:13:25 | More by wordemupg
ADZA

Australia

3.45/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden hazed amber hue with a creamy dimple laden two finger ever present head and some bubbly clingy lacing,on pouring the bottle I immediately am assaulted by the resinous pine,gooseberries and toffeeish malts,the mouthfeel is full bodied with moderate carbonation and the taste definitely packs a punch of stringent bitter piney resinous hops,some herbal harshness,a sweet cameo of toffeeish malts and finished with a berry bittersweetness and overall it's average nothing over the top and better ones out there cheers.

09-23-2013 08:50:58 | More by ADZA
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

3.16/5  rDev -14.4%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy copper color. It requires a very aggressive pour just to yield one finger of white-colored head, and even then, it doesn't have good retention. A little bit of lacing is left behind, though.

S: Very citrusy...but also very sweet. The hops bring some nice grapefruit notes and even a few tropical fruit hints. On the other hand, it's smothered by all that sweet caramel and toffee coming from the malt backbone.

T: Two words: toffee bomb. It has a citrusy start, before the huge maltiness takes over. Maybe there's some mint in the finish. Did I mention its a toffee bomb? Because sweet zombie Jesus, this is ridiculously sugary for an IPA. It's also kind of boozy.

M: It's crisper on the back end than I would have guessed. This bite helps give it a touch more drinkability than I expected - which means it's pretty good for such a thick, sugary, syrupy DIPA. Decent carbonation also helps, too.

O: I'm not a fan of this big, boozy, sugary sweet DIPA, but this isn't horrible. It also doesn't do much to make it more desirable to someone averse to this kind of beer. It's decent enough, all things considering.

09-18-2013 21:30:59 | More by ThisWangsChung
DavoleBomb

3.58/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: Moderately hazed light amber color. One finger of creamy beige head. Retention is a touch below average and a short ring of lacing is left.

3.5 S: This smells about the same as their regular IPA. Sugary and citrusy hops in the form of orange, mango, and papaya. Bready yeastiness. Caramel maltiness with a light toastiness. Booze is well hidden.

3.5 T: Sugary hoppiness and citrus mentioned above. Caramel and toasty malts. Bready yeastiness. Less bitter and more sweet than the regular IPA.

3.75 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Nice creaminess and super smooth.

3.75 D: Pretty good brew. This has a bigger malty component that the regular and it makes it more balanced and smoother.

09-09-2013 04:31:53 | More by DavoleBomb
Bierman9

New Hampshire

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

I had two goblets of this yesterday (10AUG13) at Whetstone Station. It was served in a heavy goblet, at about 10-12oz, for $4.95.

The goblet (which, on its own, could be used to do serious curls with) was filled with a clear, medium copper offering. Carbo was steady, the head was thin, white and wispy, and lacing was decent. Aroma exhibited some good caramel, with some solid hoping present. It felt quite smooth, and was a nudge above medium for body.

Flavor had a healthy base of caramel and toffee malts, contributing a nice level of sweetness. Hops were abundant, with lots of rindy, resiny, piney action, plus a suggestion of mint. The malt never faded, so it was rather well balanced. The ABV was quite evident, though. Pretty good, all in all... Zum Wohl!

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

08-11-2013 16:41:23 | More by Bierman9
ccrida

Oregon

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearence is murkey burnt gold with an olive-tinged off-white head leaving scattered foamy lace.

Smell is strong, sweet citrus hops, some resin.

Taste is hoppy - resin, citrus, bubblegum. Robust alcoholic character.

Mouthfeel is dry, chewy.

Drinkability is reasonably good for such a brash DIPA. Hops are robust, and complex enough on the palate to compensate for the hot finsh. Went down quickly and paired well with a Nicaraguan puro lancero. Drink fresh and cold. Bought ftom the cooler at Vons in San Diego and kept refrigerated until consumption same day.

08-09-2013 05:28:35 | More by ccrida
Bauzen

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear Golden Amber in color.

Smells more malty than hoppy, considering it's a DIPA.

Tastes creamy and wholesome at the get-go... Hard to imagine it carries a 9.2% ABV based on my first impressions, but then it quickly turns to a heavy, labor-some experience. This beer indeed boasts a high alcohol content, and towards the bottom of your glass, it's all you taste. Mouthfeel and finish are similar to after-burn of taking shots of bourbon or rye. Nevermind the initial flavors, the later half of the glass is how I'll remember this beer.

Overall, this beer needs work. It's probably best shared so you can enjoy the initial impressions, but not the chore of finishing the entire serving.

07-29-2013 16:44:19 | More by Bauzen
TheRougeBastard

3.51/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into one of Samuel Adams larger glass, color was a nice cooper w/ an orange hue leaving a decent head. The hops weren't really noticeable but neither was the 9.25% abv which was pleaently surprising. The hops were noticable in the aftertaste, not harsh, but there! Overall, Shipwrecked was smooth and enjoyable!

07-27-2013 22:49:57 | More by TheRougeBastard
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

22oz bottle. A curiously ironic name for a brewery located so close to a naval shipyard.

This beer pours a clear, medium golden amber hue, with three fingers of densely puffy, somewhat frothy off-white head, which leaves a decently complete band of sky forest lace around the glass as it evenly loses seaworthiness.

It smells of bitter grapefruit flesh, orange cream, lemon pudding, nutty caramel malt, a hint of toffee, pine resin, and a musty herbaceous character that borders on that particular skunky leaf so popular with the kids. You know - hops? The taste is more fruity tartness up front, a sort of pleasantly muddled grapefruit, orange, melon, and lemon-lime, over a somewhat complex nutty, beady caramel maltiness, a mild indistinct spiciness, and a subtle booze edginess.

The carbonation is active, in a neighbourhood watch sort of way, the body medium-heavy in weight, and generally quite smooth, just a wee pique from those imperious hop and booze scoundrels. It finishes on the sweet side, kind of unexpectedly, as the malt holds its position, and the fruity hops shed a portion of their bitterness.

A tasty enough DIPA, the alcohol better integrated than I had been led to believe, but still duly present, like you would expect it to be, right along with the hop and malt overdoses. Not all that hop forward, but that's just when comparing it to its SoCal brethren, and isn't that bad of a thing overall. Indeed worthy of a try, for all we humulus maximus meatheads out there.

07-25-2013 18:49:33 | More by biboergosum