2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shipwrecked Double IPA - Mission Brewery

Shipwrecked Double IPAShipwrecked Double IPA

good

Mission Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-17-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipwrecked Double IPA Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Ratings: 637 | Reviews: 193 | Show All Ratings:
dougfur

2.96/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This was recommended to me by a clerk at a beer store. Poured into a glass, it is a pretty beer with a notable orangy color and nice head. Very clear. The smell is syrupy, sweet and with some yeast flavor. The taste is too, except worse. It's very boozy and I can hardly detect any hop presence. It does not taste anything like a DIPA to me. I'm trying to be generous in my review because it's possible the bottles were very old, but this is one of the worst DIPA's I've ever had.

10-27-2013 02:06:05 | More by dougfur
Bauzen

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear Golden Amber in color.

Smells more malty than hoppy, considering it's a DIPA.

Tastes creamy and wholesome at the get-go... Hard to imagine it carries a 9.2% ABV based on my first impressions, but then it quickly turns to a heavy, labor-some experience. This beer indeed boasts a high alcohol content, and towards the bottom of your glass, it's all you taste. Mouthfeel and finish are similar to after-burn of taking shots of bourbon or rye. Nevermind the initial flavors, the later half of the glass is how I'll remember this beer.

Overall, this beer needs work. It's probably best shared so you can enjoy the initial impressions, but not the chore of finishing the entire serving.

07-29-2013 16:44:19 | More by Bauzen
gthornton

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: I was getting a little excite as I poured this. First of all I have read that the head on this is not aggressive. Not in my case. I started off with a 3 inch head, however that did die down to one inches within 45 seconds or so. Second, I am impressed by the mid-mahogany body. Deep amber... yada yada... "other ways in which you could say 'mid-mahogany.'" Lacing is moderate to high.

Aroma: The malt and hops are playing off each other greatly already. I am looking forward to tasting this. There is a lot of orange citrus, but it is so ballanced, that I am second guessing whether it comes from the hops or the malt. So without making <a href="http://www.whitelabs.com/">Chris White</a> too upset here, the aroma is coming from the balance between the malt forwardness and hop forwardness here.... but I guess that is the point here, so well done. OK... caramel, subtle grapefruit, orange peel, and lemongrass.

Taste: A lot of bitterness, as to be expected (this style upsets me sometimes, yet I still love it). There is a lot of fresh cut lawn/gassiness to the taste here, and it of course dominates. It seems like the whole taste begins and ends with some level of that grassiness. It is bitter up front, and then lingers into a mild tone later on, but that is pretty much all I am getting here. A little boozie at the end, but this took a while to stand out.

Mouthfeel: Remarkebly light, and easy on the tongue (aside from the bitterness, but that is what you signed up for when you tried this beer).

Drinkability: I don't think that Double IPAs are meant to be drinkable, that said, I find this a pleasant drink, and with the right meal, I would love this on a summer day.... (why all the summer days? I don't know, I'm from San Diego, hence it is practically all I know). Overal I would give this a good "drinkability" rating which is <em>my</em> main concern with beer... that is the point right? To drink it?

03-23-2011 23:09:51 | More by gthornton
Vanlingleipa

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours that reddish-amber that in a DIPA immediately makes you suspect much malty sweetness - small head, lacing streaks down the side of the glass. Strong aroma of hops.

First taste: Sweet, caramel maltiness followed immediately by bitter, piney hops. Then the hops grows slightly more bitter and leaves that flat taste lingering on your tongue at the end.

The sweetness is nice, but far too much bitterness to make this a decent choice. Still, it's drinkable, which I suppose is not a ringing endorsement.

08-13-2011 03:05:55 | More by Vanlingleipa
beerpadawan

3.43/5  rDev -7%

Deep coppery and clear with decent off white head retention, fading to a ring with faint film.

Nose is an interplay of citric and piney hops with sweet caramel and malt. It carries the alcohol well. It is bitter and not packed with residual sugar--doesnt feel too thick or syrupy. Hops flavor is spicy and earthy, along with pine, but the balance is a little off. Some quaffs seem more like a hop-forward pale ale or restrained american ipa.

Enjoying it, though, and worth a try.

08-30-2012 23:51:20 | More by beerpadawan
CA_brewster

3.36/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The appearance on this brew is quite nice it has a beautiful amber/copper color. The nose on this brew is very alcoholic but it has some nice resinous hoppy undertones. Pineapple really comes to mind when sniffing on this thing but it is dominated by malty alcohol. The taste on this beer isn't great. A good amount of alcohol comes across on the palate. Once past the alcohol this is quite a malty beer with roasty caramel characteristics but it is dominated by alcohol. The brew is not too bitter. The bitterness it does have seems to be from the alcohol rather than from the hops. Needs more hops! Not particularly good the way it is as it lacks the hop presence of a good DIPA, but this thing is perfectly drinkable.

12-17-2013 18:20:34 | More by CA_brewster
JupiterJesus

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a 22 oz into a Duvel tulip. Huge head that dissipated in about a minute, leaving behind a mess of semi-coarse lacing. Light spicy aroma with some tropical fruit. Thick body, very sweet, medium to high carbonation.

And here's the kicker: the flavor is all about rich sweetness, fruit and phenols. This is a tripel, no doubt about it. Sure, it has masses of hops, more of them and of the wrong type than is typical for the style, but it is definitely a Belgian Tripel + American IPA hybrid. I'm not even sure why it is called a Double IPA - maybe to get more sales? It is to the beer's detriment, as the phrase "Double IPA" is leading people to make assumptions and comparisons that are inappropriate.

When judged as a DIPA, it is so-so. It is too sweet, too fruity, too phenolic. As a tripel, it is one of the best American tripels I've had, and the addition of massive American hops really works. I like it.

01-18-2012 04:44:37 | More by JupiterJesus
rringler

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Light copper color, slightly hazy. Pours with half to one finger head that dissipates quickly. Leaves very little lacing in my glass.

S: Lots going on in there. Smells a bit dank and hoppy from the start (maybe some grapefruit fruity as well?), but I also get some bready malts in there.

T: Starts hoppy, and finishes hoppy. There's a milt bready malt throughout the whole taste, but it seems to start with spicy hops (and maybe some really mild sour fruits) and finishes with more earthy bitter hops. Mission's website lists it at 75 IBU, and it tastes at least that. Tastes a bit boozy at 9.25% abv.

M: A bit thicker and slower. A full mouthfeel, which is probably what you want out of a double. Carbonation is very good.

O: Decent brew. If I could get my homebrews this hoppy and light-colored, I'd be ecstatic. That said, the hop-profile just isn't my gig; I'm not a huge fan of the spicy start. Someone out there will love it though.

05-17-2013 05:21:18 | More by rringler
DaPan

Ontario (Canada)

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at the Praying Monk in Scottsdale Arizona. Fresh and hoppy. Pineapple and candy on the nose. Nice head with decent retention. Lots of lacing and sticky mess in the glass. Well balanced for such high alcohol. Enjoyed and would come back to this.

04-12-2013 20:41:35 | More by DaPan
sergio1va

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

Came across a bottle of this double IPA.
Pours to a bright orange color with a small foam head.
Smell of citrus fruity notes are not that strong.
Taste is definitely of a double IPA. Notes of concentrated grapefruit come across the initial feel for this beer.
Being a well crafted beer it doesn't leave an over bittering feel on the pallate. Can definitely drink several bottles of this beer.

02-11-2012 03:39:20 | More by sergio1va
TheRougeBastard

3.51/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into one of Samuel Adams larger glass, color was a nice cooper w/ an orange hue leaving a decent head. The hops weren't really noticeable but neither was the 9.25% abv which was pleaently surprising. The hops were noticable in the aftertaste, not harsh, but there! Overall, Shipwrecked was smooth and enjoyable!

07-27-2013 22:49:57 | More by TheRougeBastard
thrash420

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

appearance - poured out a deep orange amber color, with a small white head. didn't lace too much, i expected a lil more head and more lacing

smell - smells fruity and spicy overwhelmed with hops

taste - tastes a lot milder than i expected from the 9.25%. can definitely taste the fruits in this one, accompanied by the powerful hops we know and love in a good IPA.

mouthfeel - medium body, easy on the carbonation. goes down smooth, before i knew it ive drank 3 schooners!

10-08-2010 21:15:03 | More by thrash420
celldog

4.65/5  rDev +26%

Well I must say that I am glad I tried this beer. Pricey perhaps, but it did not disappoint. I am a big fan of Widmer's Nelson Imperial and Dogfish 90 minute, and this is right there with them. This is a local San Diego brew, so I am proud to say this local brew delivered an excellent Imperial IPA with the hoppiness, pine notes, and fruit flavors I love. This beers fills your mouth with sensational flavors that linger well after the last sip- pine, fruit, wonderful hops and a smooth consistancy. I want more.

11-09-2011 00:28:15 | More by celldog
SeanChiro

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

1st time had in bottle from Case purchased at a distributor in Franklin, PA. Don't know how it was stored or freshness because it was three from the bottom in a stack of 10 of random cases in the shop. Shop was cold, on a hot August day so probably not heat stricken.

2nd time - On draft at Brewhouse in San Diego, CA. Brother in Law knows the owner so got a pour fresh from fermentor without carb. Review is from 1st tasting.

A: Good orange color typical of an IPA. Carbonation gave a good 1/2 inch head the whole time, poured into a brandy snifter.

S: Rich in CA citrus-y hoppiness. Grapefruit front, with a slight lemon/pine finish. Sweetness comes off the nose probably from the malt bill.

T: Just like a DIPA should taste like. Great sweet on the front of the tongue with a prominent hop bite at the back. Grapefruit piney linger on the tongue.

M: Malty, but seemed to leave quickly. No sugary residue feeling with a swish around the mouth. Not dry either.

O: Upon initial tasting, thought I would like to see what it would taste like fresh, and upon second tasting, definitely would like to keep it fresh. It was a great find in PA and mostly got for novelty purposes because my Brother in Law didn't know what I was bringing back to the cabin. Glad he was able to surprise me with the second taste. Would get it again in CA if I couldn't find any other "Wants" on tap.

02-08-2012 21:14:51 | More by SeanChiro
soulhawk

4.5/5  rDev +22%

This is an amazing beer...I love the smooth finish...sweet yet no smack of alcohol or bitterness...well balanced for that much 9.25% alcohol...I can't really find any typical disappointments to this beer...the only criticism is that I prefer a slightly more pronounced hop in the citrus flavor...I would serve to my buddies with pride.

06-19-2012 01:30:29 | More by soulhawk
MrHopHead420

2.1/5  rDev -43.1%

Bought this with moderate expectations. Made this account just to write this review. The beer might be a lot better if it was packaged more properly. Like a lot of people, I nearly refuse to drink a craft beer straight from the can. Likewise, I felt the need to pour this brew into my Russian River nonic pint glass. I lost about a quarter of the beer by simply trying to pour the damn thing. I created a second air hole in the can and all and I could not get a proper pour without most the beer trailing down the can and making a damn mess everywhere. I finally got enough poured out so I could properly pour the rest of the damn beer and because it wouldn't pour properly, the beer foamed up obnoxiously. In the end, I got a hoppy, and clean flavor with a flat carbonation. Probably never going to revisit. Most terrible can design I have ever seen, hands down. It affects my experience with the beer, so yes, I feel like it ruined the quality of my beer. Would have had a decent score if I could have managed a good crisp sip or two, but even the taste isn't anything to die for and doesn't stand out amongst the other DIPAs available. Couldn't even get that from the first three sips from the can. If you don't have a problem drinking a beast of a brew from an insanely big can, then give it a shot. If you wish to pour this beer, find something better. The beer wasn't even worth the price in the first place.

Serving type: can

03-08-2014 21:06:48 | More by MrHopHead420
BellyBrew

South Carolina

4.48/5  rDev +21.4%

This is one of my favorite Double IPA's. it has a smoothe head with an absolute flavorful finish. a bit on the dark side for an IPA but thats what is great about this beer. A different turn for an IPA. I thought it went great with a steak and potatoe dinner. Not to heavy and the word light is not an option for this brew.

09-02-2012 23:03:45 | More by BellyBrew
DrinkerX

3.41/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a quart can:
Appearance - Very nice cloudy orange color with a thick head poured into a stemmed session glass. Nice lingering lace.
Smell - Definitely get the hops on first smell, along with an alcohol on the next whiff. Not overpowering , but a slightly sweet, piney scent.
Taste - Slight pine with slight tropical fruit. Bitter aftertaste.
Mouthfeel - Full-bodied. Not too bitter.
Overall - As a DIPA lover, this was an okay offering but lacked the complex flavor I expected from an IPA, especially a San Diego IPA.

Serving type: can