1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Shipwrecked Double IPA - Mission Brewery

Shipwrecked Double IPAShipwrecked Double IPA

good

Mission Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-17-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipwrecked Double IPA Alström Bros

XmnwildX12, Jan 05, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -6.5%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a nice amber with a firm white head, nice full lace as to be expected with a DIPA.

S: Great tropical fruit nose, pineapple and mango perhaps there's Simcoe in there methinks.

T: Sweet bready malt off the bat, much more malt than I would have expected out of San Diego. Good hop flavour of grapefruit and pineapple, if a little earthy on the back end which was not to my liking.

M: Smooth and creamy. Soft carbonation makes for an easy drinker.

D: This is an OK DIPA, nothing special. Servicable, but not something I'll go back to.

Halcyondays, Feb 17, 2010

beernads, Sep 12, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance: cloudy orange in color with a 1" head that quickly falls. Some spots of lace paint the glass.

Smell: big orange citrus along with some floral hops and a sugary sweetness are easily detectable by the nose.

Taste: big sweet malt presence with caramel, orange, hint of grapefruit, some spiciness, and a bit of alcohol are the main flavors. Bitterness is bold and cuts into the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Lightly crisp throughout with a dry finish. Long aftertaste here.

Drinkability: slow sipping beer. Alcohol keeps this beer to a longer session. Worthy of a try.

Gavage, Nov 06, 2010

GClarkage, Jul 07, 2014

imperialking, Jun 14, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +24.1%

My local, in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped off a Quart (!) CAN for me in his latest box. My eyes went wide in wonderment and now, I am simply anxious to try it. I remember BMCS (SW) Gerry Wargo as referring to everyone as "Shipwreck" vice the standard "Shipmate". Ha! I wonder how different I might have been had I not started out in Deck Department ...

From the 32 Fluid Ounces/946 ml CAN: "1913 [-] 2007"; "Keep Refigerated [,] Please Recycle"; "Double India Pale Ale - A style of beer curiously born on the foggy shores of Father Junipero Serra's first founding mission. Our own vigorous entry is one rebellious IPA, quick on the trigger, and brimming with a bounty of hop ingenuity. This is a big, bold, brazen beer, a restless vision of a new America. Brewed by Mission Brewery, [CAN] Diego, [CAN]ifornia 92101."

Man, I actually had some difficulty in achieving the Crack! on this one! It made a noise like a steel drum and then opened up to reveal another brimful craft CAN. The Glug will be whatever I CAN make happen once I get the crane into position to hoist it up. Some slight spillage occurred due to the opening being positioned further back than normal for a CAN. Fortunately, my tongue was lolling out of my mouth anyway, so I put it to work swabbing up the excess. Arrrrgh! This is destined to be a nautical review and so I gave the word to avast heaving around to assess what had transpired. Two dense, foamy fingers of tawny head with good retention was the word returning from the fo'c'sle. We staged it there as it was the only place on deck with enough room to CANduct this operation. Color was a hazy copper (SRM = > 17, < 22) and I ordered the torches brought out so that we could cut it down into reasonable sizes. The nose was rich with minty hops underlain by caramel malt and I suddenly understood why it was marked with the Jolly Roger - this was death by DIPA and it meant to take no prisoners. "What ho!?!" I cried out and throwing all remaining caution to the wind, took my first draught. My poor, bruised tongue was the first casualty in the assault. This came ashore like a battering ram and immediately went to work on the already weakened bulkhead of my taste buds. Soon, it was worming its way into my tongue like I had sprayed it with hydrofluoric acid! "Arrrgh, it burns, lads!" I cried out in a combination of agony and ecstasy. The boys broke out fire hoses and began watering me down in a valiant effort to stave off the attack, but to no avail. Having breached the initial bulkhead, it took to flooding the bilges of my empty stomach. It was not long before I began to founder, listing back and forth, to and fro, finally settling on a heavy starboard list. The boys began writing a grocery list in the hopes of righting me but in the meantime, wave after wave of marauders came aboard and before long, half of the monstrous CAN was aboard, biting, attacking and just being a general nuisance. I gave the order to abandon ship, but my crew refused to obey, instead forming a bucket brigade to try and remove this powerful liquid. Sensing their loyalty and reluctance to give up, I met the CAN head on, CANsuming a mighty draught just as another wave poured forth from the CAN and into my glass. "What, ho!?!" I cried out. "No quarter is to be given and none is expected," came the unforgiving reply. My eyes began to tear up, not of my own volition, but because the onslaught was too much for any one person to bear. I was getting very minty hops and alcohol heat from it and the finish was so dry that Zephyr winds began to blow, filling my sails and propelling me away from this beast. I stepped back to assess the damages and things were in utter disarray. Holes blown in the sails, masts broken and sheared off, more holes in the hull than I could count, a starboard list that could not be overcome and worst of all, sticky lacing that not even the needle guns could prove capable of removing. I put my head down and began to weep openly but just as I did, the lookout sounded a sighting. This beast was not done with us! It tacked around and let fly another volley as though from a bottomless source. "Nooo!" I cried out, but it was too late. We were CANpletely and utterly overrun and there was naught to do but surrender. Unfortunately for me and my crew, there were no terms of surrender in this case and we were summarily executed. If that was the case, then how do I tell this tale? you might ask. The Hoodoo Gurus sang about us on "Death Ship".

In the ultimate irony, the CAN fits directly into the top of a shaker glass. I suppose that if I really wanted an experience, I could have inverted the CAN. Proceed at your own risk.

woodychandler, Feb 05, 2014
2.85/5  rDev -22.8%

Draft at Hamilton's in San Diego.

Pours a hazy dark golden orange color with a half finger white head that immediately disappears. Not much in the way of lacing.

Slightly earthy aroma with very muted hop character.  Subtle grass, pine and floral hops with a touch of citrus and lots of alcohol.

Medium bodied with a strong bitter hop presence up front that's quickly countered by tropical fruit and alcohol.  Again, the hops are muted by light fruit and sweet booze.  Hints of apricot,  pineapple, grapefruit and orange peel but it's kind of weak.

corby112, Feb 08, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Fresh bottle in San Diego...and what a huge difference it makes.
Appears a orange toned amber with a fluffy white head that slowly fades. Scattered bits of lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of danky weed, heavy citrus, flowers, perfume, and vibrant hop resin.
Taste is of the aromas with an herbal hop blast with sugary malt. I really like this beer. The herbal and earthiness comes through more as it warms.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, warming, bitter leaning, and mostly balanced.

weeare138, May 06, 2012

drewone, Jan 03, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle purchased in California, and brought back to Sydney to share with @LaitueGonflable and @tobeerornottobe.

Pours a slightly deeper than golden gold colour, with a touch of copper to it. Head is a frothy, inconsistent film that forms some large bubbles in places and a misty nothingness elsewhere. Body is pretty firm and pleasant, and leaves streaks of static carbonation as it's tilted. Looks good.

Nose is hoppy, but in a generic way: clear slightly vegetative or oily pine characters, above a solid cushion of sweet maltiness. It's fragrant, but it doesn't really offer anything above the ordinary.

Taste is a little flat, but it's actually pleasantly balanced. Mild tangy hops above a clean malt presence. It forms a slightly biscuity base, while the hops (while still generic) provide a nice cleansing and slightly herbal bitterness on the back. Feel is slightly thick, partially because of the build up of hops on the back.

Overall, this is a pretty generic IPA, but it has a cleanness and a nice balance to it. Let's just say it does "generic IPA" really very well.

lacqueredmouse, Aug 18, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

12 ounce bottle without any sort of dating info.

Pours clear, a warm shade of darker honey amber, medium tan head, that stays and stays, leaving a thicker collar and respectable bits of lacing and sheeting. Piney hop nose. Dense, flavorful pine hop notes on the palate, with additions of lime, gin and grapefruit. Yummy stuff is all I can say...quite worthy DIPA

Billolick, Nov 11, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours quite dark, almost mahogoney in color, with a decent head and some lacing as well. Smells fruity with citrus and slightly spicy. Somewhat simple, but pleasant enough. The taste is a bit strange- slightly smokey, quite malty, and with earthy hops. Doesn't really come together here. A bit grainy in the mouthfeel, and quite spicy and earthy from the hops. Doesn't really strike me as a double IPA, and I wouldn't say this is a beer I'd get again, but it's different.

Georgiabeer, Jun 12, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer has a deep bright tarnished copper body with a microbubble swirl of carbonation. There is a beige creamy head that pushes over the glass and holds its ground.

S- The spicy green hops come through during the pour with a slight lime citrus quality to them.

T- The green tangerine hops flavor has a brassy taste to it with a woody green hops finish. There is a sweet malt flavor underneath the hops.

M- The full fizz texture gives a creamy character with a full mouthfeel and no alcohol heat noticed.

O- The full juicy hops are bright and original without much bitterness although the brassy character was a bit off.

rhoadsrage, Feb 21, 2012
3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

Recommended by the bartender at Eureka! Burger. A San Diego IPA that I haven't tasted yet, let's dig into it:

Poured into a small chalice, this beer looks almost grapefruit red, topped by thin and spotty lace. The nose is a mix of resiny orange and candied orange. Taste-wise, it is a little resiny with orange and "hop juice" dominating that characteristic. Despite the hop juice connnotion, the beer really isn't that bitter, and the 9.25% ABV is hidden well. Feels medium bodied, which is a little lighter than I was expecting for its size, but it goes down round enough for me.

Chalk it up as one more good DIPA to come from San Diego. But you will need to keep your eyes peeled, cuz this could easily get lost in a city where its competition is Stone Ruination, Pure Hoppiness, YuleSmith, etc.

DoubleJ, Oct 23, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

Clear amber colored beer with a white head with a yellow tint to it. This is the color of beer I call IPA Orange.

Smell is hoppy mostly pine and menthol. Woody smells mostly cedar wood and tea.

Starts out sweet and hoppy. Hop flavor is mostly cedar. Moderate bitterness. Still too sweet.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall, too sweet.

Zorro, Jan 24, 2012

ejimhof, Oct 19, 2012

afsdan, May 01, 2014
3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

On tap at the Hulmeville Inn inside a pint glass.

A- Dark bronze with a off white billowy head that left some stick. From the looks of it, this is unfiltered to the max, cant really see through it.

S- Very malty for a DIPA, they kind of drown out the hops but they also make a appearance. Grapefruit, slight pine, candy, sweet sugar, alcohol, kind of all over the place.

T- This is a sweet DIPA, more sweet than hoppy, but I think the mix here makes for a good beer. First up a sweet sugar blast with some alcohol followed out by some grapefruit from the hopping. Starts sweet, gets kinda hoppy, goes back to sweet. Not very floral and there is a touch of pine in the end.

M- A smooth above medium body with not much bittering appeal. The sweets win the game here. Shipwrecked is properly carbed up. Not hot but the taste of alcohol does stick around for a few.

D- I enjoyed it and would have again. A sweet DIPA from the west coast, This tastes like something made back east, maybe we are rubbing off on the left coast for once. This is not offensive and great beer, i like it.

BARFLYB, Sep 18, 2010

wrightst, Sep 13, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +7%

Pours a bright orange with a chill haze. Soapy froth with bubbling craters. Aroma of fruity pineapple juice, and some pine. Tastes of grape fruity hop, a little earthy and resinous. Fairly well balanced with a light caramel and vague toasted malt flavor. A little fresh grapefruit juice and rind flavor. Provides a long standing bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied feel, carbonation is good, alttle thin. Overall, decent beer, bright hoppy flavors, lots of citrus.

Stinkypuss, May 19, 2011

Mebuzzard, Jan 13, 2013

BillRoth, Dec 11, 2013
3.74/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Shipwrecked Double IPA is the soft amber colour of candle light yet appears extremely dense; were this beer made into a pendant I bet it'd weigh down the whole head. Though far from a dark tone, its glossy, polished complexion looks thick as actual amber. Its head, meanwhile, is so thin and airy as to virtually evaporate entirely.

The aroma is more reminiscent of a Barleywine than a Double IPA; a heavily malt-forward bouquet, there's traces of dried and candied fruits, toffee and biscuits, and a sizable amount of alcohol. It becomes more and more caramelly with warmth. I like its nutty, nougat-y toast but can't help but wonder, where are all the hops?

There's enough lemon oil and orange peel on the palate to assure us that the brewery hasn't forgotten entirely about the little green cones. Its lime juice acidity notwithstanding, the flavour ultimately answers to the bready maltiness as if it was its master. Notes of candied citrus, pine, and bubblegum flash quickly as a bolt of lightning, then they're gone. Bready malt set in.

The resulting aftertaste of dried cherries and toffee squares is notably sweet for a style characterized by its bitterness. Indeed, there's only a vague, inferred presence of tree bark and sappy resins or the above mentioned citrus oils; were it not for a lingering mango fruitiness, I might consider serving this caramelly, biscuity beer with tea (not literally, but you get the idea).

Shipwrecked Double IPA is nothing like the "rebellious, big, bold, brazen beer" Mission Brewery promises, nor is it anything like the overly citrusy, tropical hop-bombs that California - and San Diego in particular - have become notorious for. It drinks like a DIPA that's been aged (the hops faded, the malts at the fore) and isn't on-par with the city's other boldly hoppy offerings.

biegaman, Feb 05, 2014

On tap at the TDR hopfest event the other day.

The beer pours an amber copper color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is sweet and a bit spicey, but with some noticeable tobacco, earth and dry citrus. On the palate, this IPA is definitely on the sweet side, something I find a bit unusual in a West Coast IPA. However, there the beer has a considerable bitter finish, which helps to counter that sweetness to some extent. Mouthfeel is fairly light, which surprised me given the abv. The finish is long and bitter, though ultimately the flavor profile is still dominated by the sweet malt. Drinkability is pretty good, with the alcohol well disguised and integrated into the flavor profile.

Nothing extraordinary here, but I thought this nevertheless to be a pretty solid beer.

John_M, Sep 24, 2010