El Conquistador Extra Pale Ale - Mission Brewery

El Conquistador Extra Pale AleEl Conquistador Extra Pale Ale

good

Mission Brewery visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: kojevergas on 04-14-2013)
Reviews by CapnTrav:

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

My local, frequent in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me in his latest batch of beer in support of The CANQuest ™. I am always anxious to see what he has for me when he stops by!

From the CAN: “Extra Pale Ale”; “Like a true [CAN]quistador, there is no settling. Break new territory with passion and precision while you discover the audacious flavor of hops. This is El Conquistador Extra Pale Ale. The light color and body belie the flourish of hop flavor derived from Centennial and pilot hops from Yakima Valley. Notes of lemon and watermelon keep the aroma bright, but do not be fooled. This is a real session beer. Which means, intrepid drinkers, you may stay a little longer.”

I do not often get to Crack! open a Quart CAN, but when I do, it feels like I am opening a 55-gallon drum. Needless to say, an inverted Glug was not on the menu as I could not maneuver the crane that was lifting the monolith well enough to maintain CANtrol if it was inverted. It was almost out of CANtrol anyway and quickly filled my awaiting glass and forming three dense, rocky fingers of eggshell-white head with decent retention. Once it fell, while I was resetting the oil drum, it left some beautiful sticky lacing in its wake. I feel like I am on a CANstruction job, since I am going to need a jackhammer later to remove the lacing. Since when did The CANQuest ™ become such hard work?!? Color was a barely (I hate to even mention it) hazy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 – 5). Nose had a slight grassiness to it and I became curious to see what it would taste like. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. Taste was mildly grassy with a slight citrus rind bitterness. This was probably one of the more drinkable session beers that I have encountered. Finish was dry and I really never got the “watermelon” that they mentioned, but “lemon” as in lemon zest or lemon rind? Heck, yeah! Now, how to quantify this so that it becomes a “useful” review? The first thing to remember is that a Quart CAN requires a real CANmittment on the part of the CANsumer, unless you are sharing with others. I liked it, but by the halfway point, I was ready to move on to something else. It is an impressive CAN and I have only had a couple/few Craft Quart CANs, but is that enough to merit inclusion in the cooler? I am not sure. YMMV.

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I like the quart can.Pours into an imperial nonic a light dull golden with a half finger lacey bone white head atop.Aromas of light herbal and floral hops and a bit of lightly toasted grain.The flavors are a little more amped up than the aromas with a good shot of herbal and grapefruit hops over top of a firm toasted cereal grain base,not much sweetness detected.Not bad and very quaffable,I could drink a few quarts of this I think.

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

3.5/5  rDev -3%

I've drank enough of this to know that I like it...a sessionable extra pale ale with hop flavor let me describe it: Looks pale copper golden with a slight haze going on fine bubbled white head forms nice formed head, chunky sporadic lacing is left behind after it slowly dwindles. Aroma has citrus and grapefruit notes with a funky fruity melon not going on in the nose, it's strange in a good way. Flavor is a mix of hops and fruity malts with an ongoing refreshing quality about it, I'm a fan. Not overly done not extreme good drinking enjoy the 5th game of the buccos versus the cards without drinking too heavily to cope with the results of the game. After cracking a few of these and finding an enjoyable easily steady flowing carbonation along with slightly slick hop oils I lit an Illusione Epernay box pressed in all it's beauty of subtle blending pairs quite well with this citric light alcohol drinkable hoppy session pale ale. I'm a fan, go forth and enjoy if your looking for this type of experience.

4.04/5  rDev +11.9%

22oz bottle. Now, Minhas/Rhinelander, you see this is a real 'So-Cal' brewery. Take note. (See my last review if you care.)

This beer pours a slightly hazy, pale golden amber hue, with two fingers of puffy, dirty white rising cake dough head, which leaves a decent stretch of spectral webbed lace around the glass as things take a dive southwards.

It smells of sharp, somewhat tart generic citrus zest, some meaty, underripe pineapple, wet pine needles, bready, faintly caramelized pale malt, and further twinge of floral hoppiness. The taste is likewise upfront with the bitter, almost acrid citrus peel hoppiness, this time joined by the label-denoted watermelon rind, somewhat grainy pale cereal malt, and more of that earthy floral essence. Alcohol warming is well.. - just kidding!

The carbonation is a bit frizzy, and surely frothy at times, the body an adequate medium weight, and actually quite smooth, despite all those hops mucking about. It finishes just barely off-dry, the pale malt making a listless last-ditch stand to maintain a modicum of balance here, though it's a bit of a wasted effort, as the hops have their own tear-down activity going on.

A pretty tasty, hoppy, and easy to drink APA, due in no small part to the lowered ABV. I like the blend of hop flavours here as well - the citrus doesn't dominate, rather it plays nice with the other bitter and fruity notes. I hate to seem to be slavish to a label's marketing schtick, but yes, this could very well be a commendable session ale, even if some Brit might find something wrong with it.

3.76/5  rDev +4.2%

3.14/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Coffee District. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance - Hazy orange body. Thin layer of foam on arrival and it becomes just blotchy surface wisps.

Smell - Some sweet citrus hop. Mostly a grainy biscuit malt. Not a whole lot going on.

Taste - Grain up front. A touch of doughy malt. Aggressive hops for its size. Pine. Bitter.

Mouthfeel - Excessively bitter. Makes it kinda rough. Just a touch watery.

Overall - Decent pale. Nothing much to it, but I appreciate that it's 4.8%.

3.25/5  rDev -10%

3.25/5  rDev -10%

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a huge 32 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell has some mild hops, a bit of citrus. Taste is balanced, some citrus hops up front, a bit of malts at the finish. Kind of mild, very easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and this big ass can is draining very quickly. A solid beer.

El Conquistador Extra Pale Ale from Mission Brewery