Ginger Pale Ale - Northwest Brewing Company

Northwest Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gavage on 08-12-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 31 | Reviews: 22
3.87/5  rDev +12.2%

Chill hazed dull gold with a spritzy, noisy off white head that is quick to settle and leaves scattered lace. With the sound, bubbly body and quick forming and falling head, you really can't help but think of ginger ale!

Smell is mostly ginger, light orange, a bit floral, but not overly assertive.

Taste is also mostly ginger, with not much in the way of pale malts or hops, some bitterness and bread on the finish. Overall, it's really a pretty clean beer. The ginger is refreshing though and not overblown, and it's overall a nice little beer, paired well with my salmon salad.

Mouthfeel is very light and spritzy, again, like the soda version (or maybe the soda is a version of this, I'm not sure of it's historical provenance). As a pale, it would be thin, but the light body goes well with the crispness.

Drinkability was pretty high, the bomber went down with ease in a hurry, really nice to wash down my food, not to strong, light in the belly, pretty much everything I'd want from a Ginger Pale Ale. Still, it's not something I wanted another bottle of either, but this would be sure pick with food at a bistro or something, good hot weather bbq choice I'd reckon too, but not the only thing you'd want to stick to.
Of course this is a spiced beer so I'm not sure why I'd hold that against it...sure if if was just called a pale ale with not mention of the ginger or mandarin, I'd be put off. But I knew what I was getting into, even if I'm not a huge fan of spiced beers as a concept, and this one is pretty good.

2.21/5  rDev -35.9%

22oz bottle shared courtesy of Josh.

Poured a medium golden color with a small sized white head. Aromas of, drum roll please, Ginger. Tastes of, drum roll again, Ginger. This one was all about the ginger. Although the ginger wasn't as strong in the tastes, it was there. The ginger in this one got us into a Sushi conversation.

2.99/5  rDev -13.3%

pours a semi-clear orange with a very thin white head that goes away very rapidly, lots of carbonation, and some lacing.

smell of peach, spice, and ginger.

taste is watery, ginger, dry leaves, fruit, and just a touch of caramel.

overall it tastes okay just not my cup-of-tea.

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: Very minimal head, light amber color; good clarity. Nice amount of carbonation bubbles. Light foam and minimal lacing left in glass.

Smell: Mellow smell with a predominate ginger smell with hints of orange and slighty of cloves.

Taste: Kick you in the butt ginger! It was like drinking liquid ginger. Spicyness due to the ginger. You can taste a little bit of the citrus. A little on the sweet side.

Mouthfeel: Light, easy. Light carbonation and the ginger leave a tingly feeling and a long aftertaste.

Drinkability: Might go well with food and paired with something asian or ginger-friendly. Not very great by itself. I only had a small glass yet that was more than enough. At first it was easy to drink but the more I consumed the less I liked it and the ginger just was WAY too much. Definetly couldn't finish a whole bottle by myself!

2.68/5  rDev -22.3%

I admittedly was disappointed in this brew. The color and clarity was very nice in my tulip glass. Absolutely no head, which was reflective of the beer's very watery body. A rich orange/gold color which was very nice.
The smell was mostly ginger, a little mandarin tang and sourness. Couldn't pick up too much malt, and no hops at all.
Taste was not too complex. Very foward with ginger and mandarin. Very mild sweetness to back it, but overall very simple and not well balanced. It became increasingly difficult to drink after the first glass, but I managed to get through the bomber. This may be better as a meal pairing, but I would not purchase this again. I will definitely give Laughing Buddha another chance, because this may have just simply been a matter of taste. The beer was clean and it was evident that they used good ingredients, I just was not impressed by the recipe.

3.95/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: clear copper orange in color with a short 1/2" head that slowly breaks to a thick surface foam.

Smell: pleasant ginger and some malt sweetness is easy to detect.

Taste: ginger is the main flavor, but unlike others it is not overpowering and actually works with the other flavors. Some caramel, bits of orange citrus, and a soft bitterness rounds it out. Mildly refreshing.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp throughout. Medium bodied beer. Aftertaste is long but mild as the ginger lingers softly on the tongue.

Drinkability: I did not pair this with any food, but it would work well with asian food. Drinking in a standalone fashion as I was, one pint was good and two would be pushing it. A beer worthy of a try.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ginger Pale Ale from Northwest Brewing Company