Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout - Harvey & Son Ltd.

Le Coq Imperial Extra Double StoutLe Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout

Harvey & Son Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 02-19-2001)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout Alström Bros
Yoshio

02-18-2012 23:25:00 | More by jfcaa193
Erdinger2003

Iowa

1.95/5  rDev -42.8%

I had to use a wine opener on this bier, the first time I have used it for bier. No head. Black, Jet Black. Brownish-red appearance along the edges. Looks like wine and smells a bit like wine. The smell is very thick, it has slight chocolate aroma. Smells dry. Tastes watery, smokey, bitter, and very rich. The first sip was an attack on my senses. It tastes and feels a little charcoal-like. It smells as though I've been eating a deli sandwhich after a few sips, I can imagine a sandwich with lettuce and tomatoe. I've never smelled or tasted anything like this before. The more I drink, I realize some coffee flavor, this is a very complex bier. When it hits my tongue it's very salty. The mouthfeel was disturbing, salty and watery wasn't what I was expecting. This is a very rich bier for sipping on.

01-23-2006 21:26:33 | More by Erdinger2003
charlzm

1.93/5  rDev -43.4%

2003 vintage, consumed 03/18/09. Consumed at approx 50 degrees F.

The cork comes out of ths bottle with little fanfare, just a high pitched pop. The beer pours virtually opaque black into a snifter glass. What tiny head there was (a few stray bubbles) disappears within a couple of minutes. No visible carbonation.

Beer leaves a sheet of sticky "legs" as glass is moved. Thick.

Aromas are sweet sherry wine and alcohol with a vague woody character. Very muted vanilla and chocolate.

Not as thick in the mouth as one would expect.

Flavor is quite bitter. Corky. Salty soy sauce is a strong component of the flavor as well. Distant memories of bitter chocolate on the palate. Not nearly as sweet as the aroma suggests. A dash of cooking sherry.

Undrinkable. I poured this expensive little bottle down the drain.

I have had one previous run-in with Albert Le Coq and it went badly, so I figured I'd give him another shot. In my beer ball game, two strikes is out. I'll avoid this one in the future.

03-18-2009 15:57:23 | More by charlzm
Thickfreakness

1.93/5  rDev -43.4%

2008 vintage

A- Pours near pitch black into my Ithaca Tulip glass. Three fingers of thick and sticky foam float upon this brew! Tons and tons of soapy lacing all over the glass! To dark to see if any carbonation is flowing.

S- Sour cherry and chocolate... those notes dominate over anything else! A touch of funk and barnyard? Kinda unusual for an Imperial Stout. What roasted notes that there are, are over powered by the sour cherry! Kinda like a one note guitar solo...

T- Sour cherries covered with bitter chocolate! That's really it... nothing else to even talk about. Not much coffee, some burnt roasted malts, no hops... just sour cocoa! This is damn close to a drain pour! No sign of the 9% so thats a good thing I guess...

M- I wish I could light a match in my mouth and have it go on fire just so that this flavor goes away! This is pretty damn awful!!! The sour and chocolate get a touch better as it comes to room temp, but it's still like having a mouthful of chocolate covered sour patch kids in your mouth!!!

O- I was so excited when I saw a Russian Imperial Stout from England (the country that started it all)... but I gotta say... this is a real let down! Too much nasty sour and bitter chocolate. That's all is has... no other notes or taste... just sour! Sour should never dominate in a RIS... Don't bother... Yuck!

10-01-2011 02:05:47 | More by Thickfreakness
HimerMan

1.9/5  rDev -44.3%

From the bottle - tasted twice (once with Gaskill), purchased from two different places. Unless I tried two corked/skunked bottles of their beer, this is the worst stout I've ever had. The pour was like an oil slick, with absolutely no head whatsoever. From appearance alone, it looked like a solid stout, however, the taste was intense soy or tamari sauce, extremely bitter and strangely salty. I will have to try this again, but - my impression on this is weak at this point in time.

04-05-2006 17:24:02 | More by HimerMan
DESTRO

Nevada

1.85/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

hyped to find it, not hyped after i drank it. something is wrong with this sample, i hope. cracked it open to find no carbonation at all. dead flat. ok i can deal, pours (glugs) pitch black with no head. looks like cold dense old motoroil. aroma? alcohol and stank. yummy! taste? alcohol, sour stank and that often sought after soysauce character. i will admit it was velvety and smooth, quite nice...but that really dosnt help the fact it tasted like spoiled milk mixed with everclear and kikkomans. ok maybe thats being a tad harsh. something must have gone wrong somewhere, (the cork was dry as a mofo) and this beer up and kicked the bucket. i know i need to try this one again, and i will. just a bit expensive to go running back to.

05-18-2004 17:17:14 | More by DESTRO
prsguitarsr4me

1.83/5  rDev -46.3%

I had a bad bottle, so I kind of feel bad reviewing, but here goes.

Pours black, but I knew right away that it was a bad cork. No head, pours like wine - flat and dead. I gave it taste - it smells like port wine - not like any other IRS, or any other beer for that matter. Tons of molasses. Taste is flat, dry and dead, but syrupy and like the smell, full of molasses. Obviously, the bottle had a bad cork that wasn't airtight. Mouthfeel and drinkability are obviously awful as the beer was pretty much undrinkable. We did pour a quarter of a cup into our chili stu, though.

01-10-2009 23:49:26 | More by prsguitarsr4me
WorldWideStout

Maryland

1.8/5  rDev -47.2%

2003 bottle poured into a snifter. Dark black with no head.

Smell is that of very sour apples and vinegar.

Taste is almost exactly the same. At the very end, it tastes a bit like a stout.

Looking at other reviews, perhaps it is supposed to be a little tart, but in my opinion, this beer was far past its prime. When I tried to really let my mouth and nose open up instead of meekly sipping, I almost gagged at the taste.

Because it was quite expensive and had a cool background, I gave this beer more of a chance than I would for most other beers, but after concluding that it would bring me only displeasure, I poured about 80% of it down the drain.

09-24-2009 03:09:39 | More by WorldWideStout
hughesm4

1.78/5  rDev -47.8%

Bottle from 2003 aggressively poured into a bottle and there is almost no head.
a-Pitch black and the slight head that is there is a deep red in color.
s-Very oakish and liquor heavy along with a variety of old shoes and socks and anything else I would find in my grandpas gym bag.
t-Very repulsive up front that tastes like an OLD imperial stout. There is bitterness and an old cork taste towards the end.
m/d-Feels like an angry WW2 vet is kicking your ass with a cane. We are drinking this one way past its' prime.

08-23-2010 00:44:21 | More by hughesm4
baconsausage

Vermont

1.78/5  rDev -47.8%

Not sure how I should review this beer, I have not ever had it before, and I feel that this should have been consumed sooner(2003 bottle), or cellared for eternity. Pours a tarry still black and smells of burnt sherry and alcohol. Drinking this is like drinking a salt licorice and baking cocoa, leather soaked glass of sherry that is reminiscent of tamari. Thin in the mouth with an unpleasant lingering bitterness. Curious how other vintages taste, but not that curious.

06-26-2011 20:12:29 | More by baconsausage
WYVYRN527

1.78/5  rDev -47.8%

2000 vintage. Poured from a corked bottle.
I have had this beer a few times in the past, and I had been impressed in the past. This time around was a different story. The cork came out of the bottle with very little resistance. Upon pouring, I knew right away something was wrong. It fell into the glass completely flat. It's deep black color was still there, but it lacked what I expected. I'm always willing to give anything a taste, just to see what went wrong. This bottle had obviously been through some rough storing conditions. It was completely oxidized. Flavors of espresso and toffee still lingered through, but an unpleasant flavor of cardboard and water loomed above all else. The mouthfeel was mediocre, being the fact that this bottle had no carbonation left in it. I could not even drink this beer. Hopefully the next time I taste it, it will be like I remember.

02-21-2007 05:57:00 | More by WYVYRN527
stoppertb18

1.75/5  rDev -48.7%

12-16-2012 21:13:00 | More by stoppertb18
olympuszymurgus

1.75/5  rDev -48.7%

A 2001 le coq, procured on a whim from a reputable bottleshop.

A cork keeps the juice in, but no cage. Tricky. I pull and nothing pushes. Zero carb, a still beer. A vigorous pour creates no more head than lemonade, deep black lemonade.

It smells good, deep roast, noble fruits and a hair of spice. It smells like I want it to taste. But it doesn't. It tastes like death, spice, vinegar, charcoal, and metal. Not metal like iron and zinc, but metal like megadeath and Opeth. Why is this in my mouth? a tingle, pain really from the spicy medicine flavours.

This thing tastes like meth addicts look. Stay away from an aged version, it will make you very sad about the sate of the world.

10-21-2010 03:08:02 | More by olympuszymurgus
BuckSpin

Maine

1.63/5  rDev -52.2%

Presentation: c.2005 11oz bottle cellared for 18 months, in a classic conical pint glass

Aside: 1st beer I have ever had to use a corkscrew to open. In that the cork is dry, drilled thru and fell in, not good. As a result, the excuse of a deep walnut stained head of foam hissed and left, leaving only a glass ring with no lacing. Color is black, without question the thickest, deepest beer I've ever had.

Nose? Cork. After some careful spooning of floaties, strong molasses quality present, burnt (and I mean burnt) coffee. Charred wood is strong, very smoky. Those charred, smoky qualities rise & grow as it warms.

Its very bittesweet. Molasses is overwhelming, uber thick, viscious, oily, the sweetness coming from a strong raisins & cherry quality. After it warms a little its more bearable, but aging has not been kind to this. Some coffee & hop sharpness on the palate, super thick, very syrupy. I'm working hard to finish it. As for the finish, it lightens a little, but swallows very bitter, dry. Aftertaste is glowing & warm with the high ABV, sharp with hops & bitter malts, and the aftertaste (raisins, molasses, actuall nicely bittersweet) is by far the best aspect of this. I guess the irony of the end being the best part is fitting.

To be fair I am definitely going to have to review a fresher one. This was just awful, and I'm really disappointed. I do not know if this is SOP for this beer being aged. One would think with a cork seal, shrink wrap & high ABV it would age well. I'll compare with a 2007 and see. But I will leave this review as my testimony to what a cellared one could be. Consider yourself warned...

03-23-2007 01:06:53 | More by BuckSpin
KarlHungus

1.63/5  rDev -52.2%

This beer's physical appearance resembles that of a tawny port. The is absolutely no head. The aroma is sour and tart...almost gueuze like, but with a hint of roasted malt. The taste is of sour cardboard. Simply awful. The mouthfeel is thin for an imperial stout. Overall, this beer is a drain pour. In fact I disliked the taste so much that I had to force myself to take a second sip. I would not suggest this beer to anyone.

03-18-2011 00:38:46 | More by KarlHungus
Tupperwolf

Washington

1.58/5  rDev -53.7%

2001 vintage. Got to use the corkscrew on my bottle opener for the first time ever. My parents used to make this look so easy.

It pours out black as ink and is entirely headless. It looks menacing in my Stone Imperial Russian Stout glass, like a pure black wine, but menacing doesn't necessarily mean good.

From the scent, I am immediately sure this beer is spoiled. However, after going to read a few reviews, I'm sure it's not. It just smells like brett - very sour, very dank, very spoiled brett, like a lambic gone bad. I wasn't going to review, but as so many others are finding these problems, I'll be more than happy to review.

The taste is similar, and even less pleasant than the smell. It tastes like spoiled plum juice aged in oak barrels, then bottle conditioned over more brett for five years.

Mouthfeel completely lacks carbonation. Medium body. Barely even a stout, much less a double.

Final verdict - terrible. I'll try to finish this one, because it's not making me dry heave yet, but it's a potential drainpour. I think I spent about eight dollars on this single tiny bottle of vintage imperial stout. What an absolute bummer.

04-06-2006 23:08:44 | More by Tupperwolf
nickss

1.58/5  rDev -53.7%

2001 Vintage... cool bottle =)

Deep coffee brown.... Unfortunately, I shattered some of the cork while removing it, so I have some tiny cork flakes in my glass. Oh well. Zero head, despite a vigorous pour. Mediocre... guess most of the carbonation has died during these past 5 years.

Huge aroma...but not appealing... smells a bit stale... think this one might have gone bad.

Hmm... I can't decide whether it has gone bad or whether I just really dislike it. The lack of carbonation makes it even less appealing to me in this instance. Bleh. Very bitter... almost sour.. just undrinkable.

Thick and chewy... no carbonation. I think if I had had this a few years earlier I might have enjoyed it.

Undrinkable as it is.... my first drain pour ever.

08-24-2006 21:48:51 | More by nickss
pfknapp

1.55/5  rDev -54.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

I really wanted to like this beer, and I may have gotten a bad bottle. No freshness date that I noticed, but the label is quite cluttered. It poured completely still, no carbonation whatsoever. But I figured with a cork and no cap it was possible that this was the intention. It smelled like damp, old cork, salty and sour. Very little malt or sweetness in the smell. Upon tasting, I got mostly soy sauce and old cork. A wee bit of dark dried fruit and some malty sweetnes, but barely. No hops to speak of. The finish actually had a nice lingering coffee taste. But I only noticed that after the salty, sour corky taste faded. The mouthfeel was actually quite watery. No carbonation and no body, but not entirely offensive. I could have tolerated the mouthfeel if the rest of the beer could hold its weight. I couldn't drink this beer, so I would give it a zero if I could on drinkability. All in all, a bad experience. I will investigate whether or not this was a bad bottle, but I don't think it was as I got it from a very reputable source.

01-27-2006 16:12:37 | More by pfknapp
NWer

Washington

1.53/5  rDev -55.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2003 vintage. Served in a tulip.
Is it fair to critique a beer this old?
Tightly corked. Popped out clean.
Poured dark and flat. Totally flat. Nothing. Nada. Flat.
Chocolate notes picked up in the glass. Bitterness on the nose foretells what's to come.
Bitter chocolate. Like the most bitter chocolate you ever tasted that's intended for cooking, not to eat.
I want to savor this beer but just can't. No redeeming value to this beer at all unless you're into punishing your palate.
Drain pour? Haven't decided yet. I'm compelled to drink it just so I can say I did.
Update: I drainpoured this sucker. I just couldn't punish my senses any longer. Life is too short.

01-15-2012 23:31:58 | More by NWer
Sixpack595

1.53/5  rDev -55.1%

This beer is horrible. Oily mouthfeel, strange sickly sweet flavor with an acrid bitterness in the finish. Completely flat with no head. Aroma is weak but a bit cloying. Very strange, but not in a good way. I can honestly think of nothing good to say about this beer.

07-19-2004 08:09:27 | More by Sixpack595
leansean88

1.5/5  rDev -56%

06-02-2012 13:56:01 | More by leansean88
liddytime

Maine

1.45/5  rDev -57.5%

I had high hopes for this one seeing as this was probably the closest representative to a "true" RIS.

Poured jet black with absolutely zero carbonation.
Nose was anise and tar.
Taste was absolutely horrible. Seriously, like oxidized soy sauce steeped in moldy gym socks. It is a stretch to call this beer.
I poured it out after a few sips.
Bleeccchhh! Save yourself the six bucks and get ANY other impy stout recommended on this site!

10-06-2008 03:03:28 | More by liddytime
BarrelO

1.43/5  rDev -58.1%

11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet. 2003 vintage. Opening the bottle was an adventure in itself. The cork broke in half as I tried to pull it out, and trying to extract the remaining half just pushed it in further, so I ended up having to pour the beer through a hole in the cork.

A: Jet black. No head whatsoever.

S: Like Worcestershire sauce. Seriously.

T: Guh. What the hell? Aside from an occasional twinge of sourness, this is literally flavorless. Is it too old?

M: At least it feels like something that theoretically could be mistaken for a stout.

D: Absolutely horrid. Is this really what the Russian imperial court drank? No wonder the Bolsheviks shot them all.

06-24-2009 04:46:02 | More by BarrelO
scottum

Vermont

1.4/5  rDev -58.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

1999

I'm thinking this did not age well. Tastes a bit sour and very much of alcohol. The brew poured out almost black with no head to speak of. The '99 brew is past it's prime for sure. I'm guessing a later year would be a nice beer, but this sucka tastes old. Me thinks me should not finish said brew, but me is a cheap bastard. Yuck!

02-22-2003 05:50:45 | More by scottum
Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout from Harvey & Son Ltd.