Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout - Harvey & Son Ltd.

Le Coq Imperial Extra Double StoutLe Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout

Harvey & Son Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 02-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout Alström Bros
2.15/5  rDev -37.1%

Poured into goblet...2001 vintage

A: Pours jet black, a little viscous and absolutely no head at all, just a few bubbles on top....very disappointed...

S: Heavy black licorice, anise, tobacco, dark fruit, and an almost wine-like aroma...very complex, but not necessarily smelling all that inviting.

T: Heavy booziness, black licorice, oak on the finish along with a little coffee and bittersweet chocolate...but it is all completely overwhelmed by the booziness, licorice and oak....nearly undrinkable, and I love RIS as a style, this is just completely off in my opinion.

M: Completely flat and thin for a 10% RIS...

D: The taste combined with the mouthfeel makes this beer nearly undrinkable...terrible. This beer may be past its prime or just bad...my guess is past its prime as some people have enjoyed this in the past and I can't imagine how anyone could enjoy what I am trying to drink...

2.13/5  rDev -37.7%

2003 vintage poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a no head that fades slowly and no lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains roasted malts, molasses, chocolate and a touch of dark fruit.

T: The taste is much the same as the smell with strong flavors of molasses, chocolate and some dark fruit but age has taken just about everything else out of this beer. The malt character is very hearty. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Not crisp or smooth but quite viscous, heavy body, no carbonation left, finish is sticky.

O: Some flavor still left, a little filling, strong kick, I’m scoring the beer how it is at 9 years old but I plan on reviewing a fresher release of this beer at some point in the future.

2.11/5  rDev -38.3%

Presentation: 2003 corked bottle poured into a Smuttynose tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours dark brown, almost black and completely flat. Settles into as minimal a lacing as is possible.

Aroma: Tart cherry and pungent raspberries in the nose upfront. Smells more like a sour than a stout for sure. Sherry, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and oxidized red wine are all present too. Very strange. I would definitely not say this is pleasant.

Taste: A slight burst of cherry overpowered by big roasted malt. The roasted malt character is way over the top, like the last couple drops of cold coffee. No sweetness other than the cherries and a touch of banana. Some saltiness in the form of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Actually the saltiness really linger and is a bit overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Absolutely flat, but with some body. I cut it a little slack in the score as this bottle is really old.

Overall, a really interesting and unique stout, but it just fails on some many levels. The cherry fruit notes and the salt notes overpower the malt base and the malt base is burnt with any tempering sweetness. I would not buy again, but I do wonder what a fresh bottle would taste like. I have to imagine it would be better.

2.1/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

The bottle was a corked 2001 (9 year old) vintage. It poored a kind of nasty flat black color with no head, which i guess makes sense since it was so old. The smell was rubbery at best. Maybe if I felt particularly nice I would said it was kind of like licorice. The taste was also very locoricey and rubbery. Couldn't really pick up any maltiness. I guess it felt smooth to the mouth. As far as drinkablility, it was tough just finishing one. I hope that this beer was just too old to drink (although I would've imagined the guy at the beer store who recommended it would have said something if it was, maybe not...). Otherwise, I'm not really sure what the czar that sanctioned this original russian imperial was thinking. He must have been too drunk off bad vodka to care.

2.08/5  rDev -39.2%

2000 Vintage

The wrap says contents under pressure, so it's obviously supposed to be carbonated. Mine, however, is completely flat which knocked it down in several categories.

Black as night. Looks thick and syrupy, but has no head or carbonation at all.
Aroma is heavy of molasses and I don't care for that aroma or taste. Alcohol is readily evident. There is a dark fruit character to the aroma which is nice.

Taste: again big on the molasses. Behind the molasses flavor is dark roasted malts with some bitter chocolate and coffee notes. Alcohol not hidden. Slight dark fruit character. Slightly sour.

Full body. Heavy and syrupy. Might have been exceptional with some carbonation present.
Drinkability: I'd be happy to never have this beer again, although I am curious what it would be like with some carbonation.

Overall, I didn't care for this beer at all. The taste, aroma, and lack of carbonation remind me of Sam Adams Triple Bock which I'm not fond of either.

2.07/5  rDev -39.5%

2003 vintage, consumed 03/18/09. Consumed at approx 50 degrees F.

The cork comes out of ths bottle with little fanfare, just a high pitched pop. The beer pours virtually opaque black into a snifter glass. What tiny head there was (a few stray bubbles) disappears within a couple of minutes. No visible carbonation.

Beer leaves a sheet of sticky "legs" as glass is moved. Thick.

Aromas are sweet sherry wine and alcohol with a vague woody character. Very muted vanilla and chocolate.

Not as thick in the mouth as one would expect.

Flavor is quite bitter. Corky. Salty soy sauce is a strong component of the flavor as well. Distant memories of bitter chocolate on the palate. Not nearly as sweet as the aroma suggests. A dash of cooking sherry.

Undrinkable. I poured this expensive little bottle down the drain.

I have had one previous run-in with Albert Le Coq and it went badly, so I figured I'd give him another shot. In my beer ball game, two strikes is out. I'll avoid this one in the future.

2.05/5  rDev -40.1%

2001 bottling consumed in 2005

This is an odd beer that has its merits and its demerits (more of the latter).

Pours a dark black/brown with a frothy, big bubbled head that really coats the glass.

Smell is very vinous and an alcohol burning is noticeable. Smells like a big red Italian brunello that has sat out in a glass a day or two oxidizing in the corner. Could be interesting and could be awful.

Taste is an odd combination of unsweetened chocolate, molasses, cinnamon powder (very mouth drying), and oxidized red wine. Is this what they intended this beer to taste like? Do they care?

Mouthfeel is actually good on this one. Slight carbonation with a slick feeling.

I really have a hard time drinking this. The aftertaste is like a badly made rum ball.

I won't buy this again.

I originally sampled this beer a while back. I am writing this review from my notes.

1999 vintage. Pours like motor oil and tastes of soy sauce. No head. very alcoholic aroma, w/ some more roasty notes. In my view, it's not a very well done Imperial Stout. Alcoholic Soy Sauce is not a taste I enjoy

2003 vintage consumed in 2007

A - pours out of the bottle like thick ink leaving no head or lacing.
S - Extremely over-ripe fruit, like a 2 week old banana left in my sneaker.
T - Extremely rich over-ripe, slightly burnt fruit, like a three week old burnt plum that was left sitting in my sneaker.
M - Inky, oily, thick, next to no carbonation. Very hot and thick.
D - It drinks like warm camel snot.

1.98/5  rDev -42.1%

2008 vintage

A- Pours near pitch black into my Ithaca Tulip glass. Three fingers of thick and sticky foam float upon this brew! Tons and tons of soapy lacing all over the glass! To dark to see if any carbonation is flowing.

S- Sour cherry and chocolate... those notes dominate over anything else! A touch of funk and barnyard? Kinda unusual for an Imperial Stout. What roasted notes that there are, are over powered by the sour cherry! Kinda like a one note guitar solo...

T- Sour cherries covered with bitter chocolate! That's really it... nothing else to even talk about. Not much coffee, some burnt roasted malts, no hops... just sour cocoa! This is damn close to a drain pour! No sign of the 9% so thats a good thing I guess...

M- I wish I could light a match in my mouth and have it go on fire just so that this flavor goes away! This is pretty damn awful!!! The sour and chocolate get a touch better as it comes to room temp, but it's still like having a mouthful of chocolate covered sour patch kids in your mouth!!!

O- I was so excited when I saw a Russian Imperial Stout from England (the country that started it all)... but I gotta say... this is a real let down! Too much nasty sour and bitter chocolate. That's all is has... no other notes or taste... just sour! Sour should never dominate in a RIS... Don't bother... Yuck!

1.96/5  rDev -42.7%

I had to use a wine opener on this bier, the first time I have used it for bier. No head. Black, Jet Black. Brownish-red appearance along the edges. Looks like wine and smells a bit like wine. The smell is very thick, it has slight chocolate aroma. Smells dry. Tastes watery, smokey, bitter, and very rich. The first sip was an attack on my senses. It tastes and feels a little charcoal-like. It smells as though I've been eating a deli sandwhich after a few sips, I can imagine a sandwich with lettuce and tomatoe. I've never smelled or tasted anything like this before. The more I drink, I realize some coffee flavor, this is a very complex bier. When it hits my tongue it's very salty. The mouthfeel was disturbing, salty and watery wasn't what I was expecting. This is a very rich bier for sipping on.

1.92/5  rDev -43.9%

I had a bad bottle, so I kind of feel bad reviewing, but here goes.

Pours black, but I knew right away that it was a bad cork. No head, pours like wine - flat and dead. I gave it taste - it smells like port wine - not like any other IRS, or any other beer for that matter. Tons of molasses. Taste is flat, dry and dead, but syrupy and like the smell, full of molasses. Obviously, the bottle had a bad cork that wasn't airtight. Mouthfeel and drinkability are obviously awful as the beer was pretty much undrinkable. We did pour a quarter of a cup into our chili stu, though.

1.9/5  rDev -44.4%

A 2001 le coq, procured on a whim from a reputable bottleshop.

A cork keeps the juice in, but no cage. Tricky. I pull and nothing pushes. Zero carb, a still beer. A vigorous pour creates no more head than lemonade, deep black lemonade.

It smells good, deep roast, noble fruits and a hair of spice. It smells like I want it to taste. But it doesn't. It tastes like death, spice, vinegar, charcoal, and metal. Not metal like iron and zinc, but metal like megadeath and Opeth. Why is this in my mouth? a tingle, pain really from the spicy medicine flavours.

This thing tastes like meth addicts look. Stay away from an aged version, it will make you very sad about the sate of the world.

1.9/5  rDev -44.4%

From the bottle - tasted twice (once with Gaskill), purchased from two different places. Unless I tried two corked/skunked bottles of their beer, this is the worst stout I've ever had. The pour was like an oil slick, with absolutely no head whatsoever. From appearance alone, it looked like a solid stout, however, the taste was intense soy or tamari sauce, extremely bitter and strangely salty. I will have to try this again, but - my impression on this is weak at this point in time.

1.88/5  rDev -45%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

hyped to find it, not hyped after i drank it. something is wrong with this sample, i hope. cracked it open to find no carbonation at all. dead flat. ok i can deal, pours (glugs) pitch black with no head. looks like cold dense old motoroil. aroma? alcohol and stank. yummy! taste? alcohol, sour stank and that often sought after soysauce character. i will admit it was velvety and smooth, quite nice...but that really dosnt help the fact it tasted like spoiled milk mixed with everclear and kikkomans. ok maybe thats being a tad harsh. something must have gone wrong somewhere, (the cork was dry as a mofo) and this beer up and kicked the bucket. i know i need to try this one again, and i will. just a bit expensive to go running back to.

1.84/5  rDev -46.2%

Bottle from 2003 aggressively poured into a bottle and there is almost no head.
a-Pitch black and the slight head that is there is a deep red in color.
s-Very oakish and liquor heavy along with a variety of old shoes and socks and anything else I would find in my grandpas gym bag.
t-Very repulsive up front that tastes like an OLD imperial stout. There is bitterness and an old cork taste towards the end.
m/d-Feels like an angry WW2 vet is kicking your ass with a cane. We are drinking this one way past its' prime.

1.84/5  rDev -46.2%

2003 bottle poured into a snifter. Dark black with no head.

Smell is that of very sour apples and vinegar.

Taste is almost exactly the same. At the very end, it tastes a bit like a stout.

Looking at other reviews, perhaps it is supposed to be a little tart, but in my opinion, this beer was far past its prime. When I tried to really let my mouth and nose open up instead of meekly sipping, I almost gagged at the taste.

Because it was quite expensive and had a cool background, I gave this beer more of a chance than I would for most other beers, but after concluding that it would bring me only displeasure, I poured about 80% of it down the drain.

1.82/5  rDev -46.8%

2000 vintage. Poured from a corked bottle.
I have had this beer a few times in the past, and I had been impressed in the past. This time around was a different story. The cork came out of the bottle with very little resistance. Upon pouring, I knew right away something was wrong. It fell into the glass completely flat. It's deep black color was still there, but it lacked what I expected. I'm always willing to give anything a taste, just to see what went wrong. This bottle had obviously been through some rough storing conditions. It was completely oxidized. Flavors of espresso and toffee still lingered through, but an unpleasant flavor of cardboard and water loomed above all else. The mouthfeel was mediocre, being the fact that this bottle had no carbonation left in it. I could not even drink this beer. Hopefully the next time I taste it, it will be like I remember.

1.81/5  rDev -47.1%

Not sure how I should review this beer, I have not ever had it before, and I feel that this should have been consumed sooner(2003 bottle), or cellared for eternity. Pours a tarry still black and smells of burnt sherry and alcohol. Drinking this is like drinking a salt licorice and baking cocoa, leather soaked glass of sherry that is reminiscent of tamari. Thin in the mouth with an unpleasant lingering bitterness. Curious how other vintages taste, but not that curious.

1.75/5  rDev -48.8%

1.74/5  rDev -49.1%

This beer's physical appearance resembles that of a tawny port. The is absolutely no head. The aroma is sour and tart...almost gueuze like, but with a hint of roasted malt. The taste is of sour cardboard. Simply awful. The mouthfeel is thin for an imperial stout. Overall, this beer is a drain pour. In fact I disliked the taste so much that I had to force myself to take a second sip. I would not suggest this beer to anyone.

Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout from Harvey & Son Ltd.