Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout - Harvey & Son Ltd.

Le Coq Imperial Extra Double StoutLe Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout

Harvey & Son Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 02-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +28.4%

2001 Vintage. Not what I was hoping for, but a decent brew none the less. Very dark body, with an extremely brown, almost non-existent head.

Scent is vinous, wine, roasted malt...and sadly, a bit of cork. Tastes like overly done malts, wine and dark roast coffee. Slight traces of cork in there.

Very flat...despite the warning that contents are under pressure, there is almost not body to this. Flat..lifeless...not even a trace of carbonation.

The taste is not too bad...but this is more akin to a port or sherry. Not really what I was looking for. Not like any Imperial stout I've ever had. It falls short in many regards yet still retains some of the fundamentals. Maybe my bottle was off...but at what point did it go off? Hopefully my 2003 is better.

Update...29 December 2007.

Wow! What a difference two years make! This is a 2003 vintage...not sure of the history before it hit the place I bought it at, but I bought it out of the same cooler and stored it the same as my somewhat disappointing 2001 vintage.

I had mentioned in my review for my 2001 vintage the perhaps the bottle had gone off, but when? My 2003 is completely different.

The initial experience was negative, but possibly my fault. The cork was slightly swollen and had a dark brown ring around it. I thought this was because of a poor seal. But when I started to pull the cork out there was a very audible release of pressure.

Pouring into the glass there was a very vigorous head, reminiscent of American RIS our Double Stouts. I had trouble pouring an 11.2oz bottle into a 16oz glass! Defintiely not flat!

Vinos, malty scents. Memories of coffee, cocoa and dark chocolate abound. Slight brandy notes; defintite wine character.

Roasted malt, dark chocolate flavour. Sour grape/wine background. Bitter, but lacks acidity in the flavour that I find in some RIS, Far, far better than my 2001...more in line with other RIS I've had.

Good mouthfeel. Carbonation and the alcohol are evident...not quite what I expected. Not bad, but I had expected less carbonation.

Regardless, this is one of the best RIS I've had. I'd love to do a vertical tasting of this, or even a side-by-side with some other brewers. At one time, I thought I'd never buy this again, but now...I'd even risk buying a 2001 again.

BDTyre, Dec 29, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +28.4%

We were lucky enough to enjoy a 1999 vintage of this the other evening, thanks Redbones! We missed the dinner, but thankfully for us, there were some beer leftovers.

Oh My! This is a big beer! In such a little bottle.

You couldn't see through this beer, it was the color of night. Yes, really. All I could think of was that it reminded me of a port, and that the alcohol was as prominent at 9% as I perceived it in a WWS.

This is a sipping beer, like I said, it reminded me of port. The taste of raisins was quite apparent. Very enjoyable. A beer like this really knocks your socks off.

I gave it a 4.0 for drinkability...while I couldn't have another at the time, it is a beer I would drink again.

PatandDavid, Mar 26, 2003

9.3 oz. bottle, 2008 Vintage, 9% ABV,

A: Pours black with a nice 2 finger brown head, thick lace.

S: Definite chocolate, with fermented carob. Some definite acidity adds chocolate covered cherries, coffee and strawberry.

T: Definitely a lot of dark chocolate here, it dominates. Roast with some dark fruit, black cherries, sweet heather flowers are there as well. The fruit which is clearly evident in the nose really comes out at it warms, drink this above 60F for the full flavour and brilliance.

D: Very creamy with carbonation, full-bodied, quite smooth and an easy drinker.

D: This is an interesting beer to look at. I've only had the old corked bottles, the '01 and '03 vintages back before my BA days. I loved the lactic raw acidity in those, the tradition was clear. The bottle cap clearly preserves the beer better, but I think it's just missing something to make it stand out, like the old bottles did. This is a good imperial stout as is, no doubt. The old acidity made it something special, above just good, hoping they'll move back to that in the future. Perhaps it needs more age? In the end though, this beer is a classic of the style and something that's always a joy to drink.

Halcyondays, Jun 12, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +28.4%

I lifted the cork on this 2001 vintage with some anticipation of an exuberant torrent from the newly liberated brewing art genie. The cork freed-- nothing happened.
This black as widower’s weeds stout cascaded into my tasting glass and swirled to rest. “Starless and Bible black” I intoned as I held the glass to the penetrating nosey rays of the intense room light only to have them disappear into the black liquid..

Little head- a rather disappointing moment.

But from the scant head, rose a phoenix-- a nose although mild yet complex in nature that hinted at thoughts of ale, alcohol, sherry, and toasted malt.

But the flavor-- ah the flavor!
A splendorous moment upon my palate as it reveled coated with this Cossack’s blood.
The hops side of Ale, burnt side of malt, and other assorted flavor notes-- that of chicory, hints of sherry, maybe even molasses leaped upon the scene. I’d even venture a daring stab at licorice somewhere in the background-- in essence “more of everything” from this dark libation..

Alas the show ended with a fine long clean finish, as if bidding homage to the final days of Tsarist Russia.

gueuzeonhigh, Oct 29, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +29%

Corked bottle, 2000 vintage, enjoyed at Spuyten Duyvil. Poured into a small snifter. Motor oil black with no head whatsoever. Huge aroma here...initially smelled like alcohol and nail polish, but as it warmed up it evolves into a wonderful mix of soy sauce, alcohol soaked raisins and cherries. Roasty malt and wood aromas present as well. Full bodied, obviously, with little to no carbonation. Slick, viscous mouthfeel transports all the flavor directly to the back of the palate and throat. Sweet chocolate malt, soy sauce, and wood appears which then quickly transforms into a sweet fig and date fruitiness. Big alcohol warming affect too. Flavors change dramatically as this beer warms up. More dark fruit appears later on including prunes and plums. Surprisingly this beer isn't not too sticky or cloying. Every sip is different so make sure you have some time on your hands before sitting down with one of these. This is a bizarre beer which truly does taste like a piece of history.

BeerHonky, Feb 24, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brewed in '08, poured into a snifter. Purchased from K&L Wines in Hollywood on a strong recommendation from their beer man- I'm glad I listened, thanks!
A- Dark, with an aggressive head (temp of beer was 55-60 degrees)
S- Dark chocolate, licorice, roasted nuts, slight forest
T- Wonderful and balanced. A mix of bitter-sweet chocolate, roasted malt, butterscotch, alcohol, and caramel.
M- Full, rich, creamy, and buttery in the finish.
D- A sipper that disappeared quite quickly. A model Russian Stout.

Note- This beer has a diminished rating because too many bottles sampled were aged too long. Get an '08 and serve it at a proper temperature. 9.3 ounces only, and every single one is intense.

Wowcoolman, Feb 25, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Quite a rich vinous roast for a classic stout framed as the founder of the style.

Presentation: 33 cl brown capped bottle. Old fashion, antique-like emblem around a crown and the name of the brew. Side notes show several award, brewing license (East Sussex with Estonian supervision), and surrounding the seal there is a long narrative going over the historic background, and tradition. Notes vintage 2008 and 9% Alc. by Vol. Served in a snifter.

A - Black pour, with a nice looking 1/3" ecru head, creamy with medium to low retention, nice surface memory and rich wave of lacing.

S - Nose is stimulatingly sour, with port like notes, fruity, and with a malt undercurrent.

T - Hmm, taste has a characteristic roasted sourness that is quite rich. Figs, prunes, roasted malt... Compact and delightful around a vinous sense with touches of cocoa and coffee that is memorable.

M - Full body, very creamy with a nice bitter finish.

D - Great sipper, nice and pleasing in its complexity.

Notes: Allure of the classic aside, or the claim to set a standard for the style for that matter, this is quite the brew. I've have had it before, in some of those corked bottles a while back, and while different vintages this is about right in tune with most of my early memories. The distinct sour and port notes may not be up everybody's alley, both for a brew and for something expected of the style actually. But if one picks up a liking for that range this is quite the brew. Reminds me a bit of how De Molen picked up a classic RIS with their early versions of the Rasputin. While I remember older vintages likable but pretty flat and somewhat thin, this one is not only sturdy on the mouthfeel but also on the appearance.

Daniellobo, Feb 21, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +29.9%

Pours as flat and black as the velvet night sky in winter.

Wonderful aromas of malt and hints of prune. There is another smell here I can not place, but it keeps me sniffing and sniffing. There is something quite intoxicating about the aroma.

Flavors of malt and alcohol syrup mellows to an interesting mixture of must, wine, childhood rides in Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbeans ride, and coffee.

As it sits during the tasting I notice that the growing bitterness conjures up strong flavors of juniper and prune.

Although I am not exactly an instant fan, I can say that the flavors are among the more complex of any beer I have tasted. Each sip is an experience with an element I can not pin down. For this reason I both like and dislike the beer. It sets its own terms about how it wishes to be approached. It bullies my taste buds, conjures memories, and leaves me without the proper language to describe it correctly. I ascribe to this beer Kant's das Ding an Sich, or an inability to know the thing in itself.

In many ways, I think of this beer as good modern art; it amazes the senses, oversteps expectations (both good or bad), and leaves me questioning whether I love or hate it, or whether I can even call this beer. This is why I am on the fence about my rating. While I enjoyed the flavor and the complexity, the totality of the experience (the flatness, etc.) do not exactly add up to an A.

...or perhaps they do? It's like that.

Amsterdam, Dec 07, 2008

*2008 bottle, 9%abv

A: Black with a huge thick tan head. Looks extremely creamy, almost like Guinness. Great retention and great lacing.

S: Sour, tart dark cherries with hints of roasted malt and dark coco powder. More than anything, the sour tartness dominates.

T: A very nice mix of classic RIS qualities (dark chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malt and coffee) with light sour/tart dark cherries. It doesn't seem like a good mix, but it actually goes extremely well together. As it warms, it gets even tastier! More dark fruits like dates, prunes and black cherries come out more. Slight tartness mixed with slightly bitter roasted malt flavors linger in the aftertaste.

M: Medium to fuller body, smooth and soft carbonation. Nice.

O: Very well done. Not sure what age has done to this, but if anything it has done it well. Its almost like a mix between a RIS and a wild or sour ale. Worth seeking out, or at least this vintage is.

herman77, Oct 29, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +29.9%

This was poured from a bottle from the 2003 vintage into a pilsner glass.

A: The beer is black in color with no visibility into the glass. Pours a dark tan color head that recedes quickly leaving behind a light film on the glass. Very little carbonation can be seen.

S: Had a sweet-smoky aroma that consisted of molasses and alcohol.

T: The smoky aroma continued into the flavor of the beer giving it a smoking oak flavor. Complimented by a fruity and sweet flavors. Perhaps a plum and licorice taste. Followed by a sweet aftertaste of coffee. The complexity of this beer is best appreciated at a room temperature. Served cold at first, but more and more flavors came out as the beer warmed. Go figure an English beer that needs to be served warm....

M: Almost no carbonation giving the tongue a very smooth feel. The thickness of the beer just coats your mouth allowing the flavors to be savored. This is a heavy beer going down.

D: With the small size of the bottle and the smooth sweet tastes a few of these could easily be put down quickly.

bilyboy65, Mar 29, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +29.9%

2003 vintage 11.2 oz corked bottle.

Opaque dark brown color with mahogany hued edges. Aggressively poured; no head or lacing. The smell is wonderful and really unique. Rich barrel aged alcohol, molasses, fig and apricot aromas invite syrupy notions. The mouth feel is light with negligible carbonation. The silky licorice malt flavor lingers nicely in an oily manner. This is one hell of a good brew!! If it weren't as expensive as it is i would be going back for it time and again. I can't say that this is typical of the style, but I have to say that this one's going on my "Best Ales" list. It probably desires a style of it's own. Really had a good time with it and appreciate the opportunity to sample this one thanks to Finger Lakes Beverage, Ithaca, NY. Highly recommended; it's not a corner condition, it's outside the box.

I guess you'll either love it or hate it. Let's call it a Double Stout instead of a RIS.

jjayjaye, Jan 25, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Albert Le Coq Imperial Stout, 2000 vintage, bottle bought at Max's Taphouse in Baltimore, MD, and poured into a goblet at the bar.

Appearance: Black like the day Lehman Brothers went under on September 15, 2008. Never forget! Incredibly thick pour, no head, no carbonation, no lacing. More like an old whiskey, or a fancified kalimotxo (the Spanish proletarian drink made out of cheap red wine and coke).

Smell: Confit olive oil, gasoline, aromas of Spanish tapas. Very nourishing! Bourbon barrel all around the nose. Very little roastiness or coffee, as one would expect in a RIS.

Taste: More olive oil, some hoppy bitterness. Smoke and bourbon. Reminds me a bit of Bourbon-aged Stone RIS. Vinegar and booze.

Mouthfeel: No carbonation, medium body (almost full). Sticky sweet, a tad chewy. Body lingers in mouth like funky fun pop rocks. Smooth, creamy, tasty.

Drinkability: Damn high! Easy at 9%, goes down nice even when warm. Chuggable, enjoyable, beautiful. This is without a doubt the oldest RIS I've ever had, and also one of the funnest old beers ever. Gorgeous!

DoubleSimcoe, Nov 23, 2010

Vintage 2001.
Words cannot describe the utter blackness and deep thickness of this beer. It literally pours like cold and thick syrup. Very brief shadow of a head; no hint of a bubble from then on. It's an absolutely still liquid. The first tastes are a little rough-edged and difficult to describe. As your senses become accustomed to the beer, though, it settles into a teriffic mix of multi-layered malts and fruits. The alcohol is extraordinarily well balanced. Consume in ultra-small sips...it's amazing. Aroma presents a variety of sensations: hints of alcohol, smoky scents, molasses, pitch, cocoa, and countless others. There's an unrelenting fullness and mouth-coating sensation in the body. Take your time to enjoy this one...it's worth the price.

Suds, Dec 31, 2003

1999 Vintage.

Perfectly sealed bottle with wet cork pours dark deep space beers into waiting pint glass. The beer didn’t have the much carbonation, but enough for 1/4 inch of head, which dissipated into a foam ring. Not the best carbonation I’ve ever seen, but can you really compare a 5-year-old beer with 2-week-old newborn ale? In terms of tastes the most prominent flavor is silky port. The aggressive imperial alcohol sure takes the backseat in this beer after a few years. Hints of espresso, plum, and dark chocolate linger in the background creating an interesting overall mocha flavor. The strong butter backbone acts like thick cream to smooth out this stout. Mid pint the alcohol barks, but is immediately hushed by the smooth warm aftertaste that coats the back of your throat. It's so dry and coying.

The beer is a little bit plain, no surprises, but it really doesn’t need any since this was the “original”. I don’t give originals any sort of privilege, but you can’t hold it against them if other beers mimic how they taste and what they do.

This is the oldest barleywine I’ve sampled and I’m stunned.

Starchild, Dec 28, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +31.1%

Corked bottle into a pint glass - in retrospect, a snifter probably would have been preferable.

Pours jet black with a mild brown head that fades quickly. No lacing. Nose is boozy with licorice and anise. Taste is very bold - boozy, licorice, anise, oak...a bit of character that almost reminds of a red wine. Mouthfeel is very smooth, with moderate carbonation - really quite a nice feel. Tingles on the tongue and leaves a coating aftertaste. Full bodied.

Very unique taste, but I enjoyed it. Definitely off the beaten path of your typical RIS.

Mavajo, Dec 02, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +31.1%

1999 vintage, 9% AbV

This was given a very vigorous pour- the bottle was at least 8" above the rim of the glass- and still only managed to give about 1/4" of a dark tan head. Color is a dark inky-looking brown/black. The head quickly disappears but is resurrected easily with some swirling.

Aroma is quite strong. There is a lot going on here- the dominant characteristic is 'leathery', but there is also an equally prominent barnyard quality. Then there's some sweet malt, coffee, spiciness (particularly anise), butterscotch, ash and alcohol. It is a very distinctive bouquet, to say the least.

Flavor is definitely 'not subdued'; it is perhaps even a bit coarse, but overall it is balanced in its own way. The mouthfeel hits you first- very full and bordering on oily. Then the roasty/leathery characteristics come on, merging nicely with a good quantity of bitterness. All of the other flavors- barnyard, spices, fruit, butter- come on late and linger a long time in the finish. The alcohol is there as a warming presence only, and not at all out of place.

Everything about this beer screams 'concentrated' and 'saturated' and probably takes some getting used to, but there is nothing else like it.

Historically this beer has displayed, in my own personal experience, problems with consistency. I have had quite a few of these since 2000 (and at least 8 since this past December)- 25% of those have been flat and harsh, 25% have been transcendantly good, and the remainder somewhere in between. This particular sample was at the high end of that range. It works for me, but be warned.

TongoRad, May 11, 2005

Telestic, Dec 31, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +32%

I bought this because it is a classic. I have a 2001 vintage before me. It's closed with cork and opened still. Still is not my favorite choice for a first impression of a beer. The aroma is of wine and as I poured it into the glass the wine aroma expanded. As I bring it to my nose a little oakiness comes up and when I drink it the wine and oak increases to the level of some of my favorite Chianti. The chocolate and coffee then kick in and, really, l am finding little to separate this from a robust earthy wine except it is a little more full bodied.

The mouthfeel is a little viscous. Spiciness is kicking in and I'm gettng allspice almost like a jerk rub and a little heavy on the cloves. The complexity is enjoyable and now the stillness is more justified. I like the sensory explosion of this. I think I'll buy more if I can find some and try it with my wife's chicken cacciatore over polenta. This is the most interesting wine/beer experience I've had. I find the ambiguity intriguing.

faernt, Jun 15, 2004

MikeHRayn, Jul 15, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +32%

Dec'13. From bottle. Wish I made note of the year. This one had a most distinctive flavor. Umamai, without a doubt. If it was a bit saltier it could pass as a gravy made from well caramelized elements. What comes to mind is Marmite, but without the salt. I really enjoyed it. Can't say I'd make it my go to, but I'm old enough & wise enough to realize that a treat can only remain so if it's not over indulged.

06/27/13 From bottle. 2003. What a find. this is one incredible taste treat. the trick is to forget wahtever it is that you think you know, because you are entering another dimension. This concoction, though not completely foreign, has very little to securely hang the usual descriptives on. Thick, absolutely, but sweet...but not so much so that bitter or sour ruin the experience. Applying this to the middle of a session has ground the show to a halt by sheer wonderment. I understand why it is served in a bar, because of the alcohol, but from there on, it defies description in terms I'm comfortable with. All in all this is a fantastic experience.

seedyone, Aug 16, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +32%

'01 11.2oz bottle stored at 50F and poured into a snifter.

Black color with a creamy dark brown head.

The aroma reminds me of a fine port wine. It is very fruity with plums, cherries, and wild berries. There are also hints of earthy, chocolate malts.

This brew has a very full body and mouthfeel. It is almost syrupy, but still quite drinkable. It's a very interesting stout unlike most I have tried. There are very sweet flavors, but also a lingering sour and tart presence. It personifies what I imagine to be a traditional 19th century imperial stout.

At 50 degrees this beer semed a little out of balance. But as it continued to warm, everything really came together. This is one of the few modern beers that is meant to be enjoyed at room temperature. Probably a good one to drink from a cask.

rye726, Nov 08, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +32%

Small 11.2 oz foil wrapped corked bottle, 1999 vintage. Dark jet-black color,has a small tightly bubbled, creamy tan head. Sweet roasted chocolate, coffee and fruity aroma, sweet fruity plum-chocolate flavors. Nice hoppy burnt bitterness in the finish. Medium-full body with creamy smooth thick and silky mouthfeel, alcohol is very well hidden very smooth and sweet.

maxpower, Jan 20, 2003
4.53/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

{2000 Release}: Let me say you must like any beer that goes to the trouble to cork and wrap their beers so tightly.
The beer pours my benchmark for stouts and porters, “Jet Black”, the head planetary in size, creamy in its consistency" and the residual lace glutinous sheets that weld themselves to the glass. The aroma of black strap molasses, caramel, coffee, chocolate and even Hickory smoked bacon also comes to mind, but then food and beer are always on my mind, not necessarily in that order, quite complex nose and beer for that matter. Ambrosial start, the top is rich and thick, chewy, full as mere words does not do it justice. Hop spicy bite, moderately acidic, bittersweet chocolate dry and one hell of a fine "Stout" in my book.

Gusler, Dec 27, 2002
4.53/5  rDev +32.8%

An "amaretto" and chocolate smell, with liquorice and toasted hazel nut notes. No head, quite flat. A full body, similar to brandy. Taste of berries. A great beer.

stcules, Jun 16, 2002
4.58/5  rDev +34.3%

Wow...interesting bier! Jet black color and nice creamy mocha-colored head. Nose hits you with fruit (choco-covered cherries?). Wonderful mouthfeel with the same choco-cherry woody flavor. Nice brew! Thanks VENOM!

overall: 4.65
appearance: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 5 | drinkability: 4.5

Bierman9, Jan 17, 2002
Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout from Harvey & Son Ltd.