2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout - Harvey & Son Ltd.

Le Coq Imperial Extra Double StoutLe Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout

Harvey & Son Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 02-19-2001)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 441 | Reviews: 389 | Show All Ratings:
SpeedwayJim

2.15/5  rDev -36.8%

Thanks to Alastar for this one by way of IS BIF 2. Poured from a 12oz. corked bottle into a Blue Point snifter. 2003 vintage.

A: Gentle pour yields a .25 finger deep, coarse mocha head that dissipates as quickly as it forms. This is by FAR, the darkest opaque black beer that I've ever seen. I didn't know black came in shades until I saw this monstrosity in my glass. Lacing is stringy and spotty in parts with decent cling.

S: Aroma is one of wood, sweet soy sauce, prune juice, booze, and toffee. Definitely unique as the woodiness is very prominent in the nose.

T: This beer may be corked or infected or both. That being said, opens woody with a huge cork taste. Slightly sour at the opening and this becomes more pronounced towards the middle. Booziness is very noticeable throughout the whole experience. Sour cherries and wood engulf any hint of chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, toffee, or other "stouty" flavors. Finish is sour, aftertaste is bitter coffee beans and more sourness.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Oily but abrasive in the mouth. Finish is messy and aftertaste lingers.

D: A 2.5 because I'm giving this one the benefit of the doubt that I had a bad bottle. If I have a good one, I'll edit as needed. As it stands though, a total drain pour. Almost vomit inducing. Off flavors were very prominent and they dominated the regrettable though admittedly brief experience.

09-08-2010 00:48:09 | More by SpeedwayJim
Gosox8787

New Hampshire

2.15/5  rDev -36.8%

Presentation: 2003 corked bottle poured into a Smuttynose tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours dark brown, almost black and completely flat. Settles into as minimal a lacing as is possible.

Aroma: Tart cherry and pungent raspberries in the nose upfront. Smells more like a sour than a stout for sure. Sherry, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and oxidized red wine are all present too. Very strange. I would definitely not say this is pleasant.

Taste: A slight burst of cherry overpowered by big roasted malt. The roasted malt character is way over the top, like the last couple drops of cold coffee. No sweetness other than the cherries and a touch of banana. Some saltiness in the form of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Actually the saltiness really linger and is a bit overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Absolutely flat, but with some body. I cut it a little slack in the score as this bottle is really old.

Overall, a really interesting and unique stout, but it just fails on some many levels. The cherry fruit notes and the salt notes overpower the malt base and the malt base is burnt with any tempering sweetness. I would not buy again, but I do wonder what a fresh bottle would taste like. I have to imagine it would be better.

09-11-2011 16:53:29 | More by Gosox8787
atsprings

2.2/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured a deep black head that quickly diminished. The aroma was of burnt coffee and molasses. The taste is of espresso that might have been brewed the day before, much more bland than I've come to expect of the style. The blandness gets in the way of the mouthfeel as well. The beer is not heavy by any means, but it just sits on the tongue. This is the first ever Imperial Stout I have thrown down the drain.

03-30-2007 04:45:54 | More by atsprings
yelterdow

2.23/5  rDev -34.4%

Vintage 2000. The label reads 9% ABV, not 10% as this entry suggests. Served in an oversize snifter at cellar temperature.

Appearance- Pours black as tar. There is no head, no lacing at all... just a flat, smooth-as-glass beer that struggles for ruby highlights along the outside edges.

Smell- Aged six years in this bottle, there is some incredible density of aromas happening here. If you could somehow imagine dark chocolate mingling with fermenting apple cider, somewhere in an old, decrepid building... cold, damp floors with spider webs in every corner... that might be close. It's a bit wicked, to say the least.

Taste- I'm not sure if this bottle is going to kill me because it's bad, or this is what it's supposed to taste like. I like to live dangerously, so I'll keep going.

There is a funky, sour quality that I would never have expected from a Russian Imperial Stout, and I've had plenty of experience with the style. Immediately upon entry, the tip of the tongue is tasered by a sourness that grows more intensely by the second... it's so shockingly out-of-character that I hold the beer in my mouth confused... not knowing whether to spit it out or swish and swallow.

After sending the first mouthful down the bathroom sink, I go in for another try. This time, we'll roll it around and see what happens.

The sourness reigns supreme, and dominates the beer's overall character. As it's held in the mouth and distributed, there eventually comes a bittersweet chocolate finish. As much as I truly dislike this one, there's something rustic and raw about it that makes me want to learn more. Is this the way the original RIS might have tasted? Why is it funky and spoiled? Interesting as hell.

Mouthfeel- This is probably the least carbonated beer I've ever had, but it's also the thickest and most full. Consequently, it scores on sheer originality and uniqueness.

Drinkability- I can't finish this glass, no matter how bad I want to. Curiosity has become torture, and it's time to say goodbye. If this beer is actually drinking as it should be, I can't help but wonder under what circumstances one might choose this as their beverage of choice. Quite the enigma.

12-10-2006 05:08:28 | More by yelterdow
ediaz

2.24/5  rDev -34.1%

2008 vintage sitting on a shelf for 5.99 - should have known.

A: Poured a dark color with a nice thin mocha head

S: tartness, acidity, infection - some reviews indicated that this was there too, but that it was gone in the taste, so i proceeded.

T: a sour, acidic, tarty stout, and not in a cool tart of darkness kind of way.

M: a little light with appropriate carbonation

O: its no good, and if it was not infected I'd be pressed to see how it could be enjoyed. do not try.

05-23-2013 01:34:57 | More by ediaz
trep

West Virginia

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%

11.2 oz Bottled in 2001

Completely opaque black except for glints of ruby at the edges when held up to the light. Creamy, dissipating tan head.

Sour as hell, some chocolate. Hardly any alcohol. Mostly rotten sour cherries, grapes, and plums.

Dark chocolate and a flat, musty soy sauce taste. Tastes nothing like it smells. Finishes roasted and malty.

I can't finish this one. Perhaps use it for a marinade?

07-18-2006 06:17:37 | More by trep
neonbrown82

Nebraska

2.28/5  rDev -32.9%

This 2001 vintage is quite possibly the worst beer I've ever had.

Pours to a completely opaque black color with absolutely no head on a hard pour. Nothing much to note about it.

The smell is the only thing decent about this beer. Smells very soy-saucy, but accompanied by a huge berry blast. Smells like a port wine.

Every time I take a sip my face literally curls up in disgust. Tastes like straight soy sauce, and looks like it too, with the utter lack of head and all. Also has a barrel-aged taste to it. Very highly tannic with a soapy and thin mouthfeel.

Most definitely NOT recommended for consumption by humans. This one is a drain feeder. I suppose if you are into port wine or sherry, it wouldn't be quite as bad, but I for one think it is the most disgusting "beverage" on the planet.

07-13-2005 21:16:12 | More by neonbrown82
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.3/5  rDev -32.4%

Release 2000: I'm not as impressed as some of the comments that I'm reading. has a perfect color and opaqueness. Absolutely not head--flat. Shows good legs on the sides of the glass. Strong aromas of sherry and soy sauce. Pungent and musky. A thin molassas aroma, but not appealing. Flavors of soy sauce, sherry, and vinegar overwhealms the sparse flavors of roastedness, chocolate, nuttiness, and hop character. Lighter notes of ripe grapes and cardboard show in the body. Creamy, yet flat to the mouth. Finishes sherry-like alcohols with an aftertaste that is acidic and salty. I would like to try another--perhaps I bought a badly oxidized bottle. It sometimes happens to aged and corked bottles.

09-20-2005 18:24:37 | More by BEERchitect
bort11

Missouri

2.33/5  rDev -31.5%

2000 vintage, listed as a 9% ABV. 11.2 oz corked bottle, poured into an imperial pint glass. The color is completely black. I am greatly diappointed that there is no head or lacing to speak of. Just a few spots of bubbles on the glass as it's tipped. I know higher ABV beers sometimes don't have much head, but this is nothing, and I've had higher ABV beers that have good sized heads. Smell and taste is licorice and toffee. It's pretty sour. The mouthfeel is very thick and it leaves a dry vinious aftertaste. It leaves my tongue dried out. No carbonation, it's pretty flat. This is a great disappointment. I like RIS to be sweet and bitter. This is mostly sour and burnt. I think this one is past it's prime. I was only able to drink half of it, the rest went down the drain.

06-24-2006 03:35:19 | More by bort11
IntriqKen

2.33/5  rDev -31.5%

Not quite sure how to review this one. Not quite sure what to expect, although I've had many, many Imperial Stouts.
Vintage 2003 corked bottle.
Poured jet back with absolutely no carbonation or head.
Aroma is dark fruits...dark raisins, plums, prunes...and strong alcohol with a hint of rum.
Mouthfeel is creamy and thick but disappointing due to the lack of carbonation.
Taste is dark fruits, maybe a little oak...very little sweetness, and major fusel alcohol
Drinkability is ruined (for me) due to a total lack of carbonation more than anything else. This becomes a harsh tasting strong alcohol missing the mark of nice chocolates and coffees nomally found in Imperial Stouts.
I regret rating this so low, as it may be what the brewer is intending, but rating it against other IS's I've enjoyed, it is definitely 'not impressive'

03-10-2007 04:00:27 | More by IntriqKen
Buildscharacter

Georgia

2.35/5  rDev -30.9%

This beer is "interesting" to say the least. It pours of of the corked...yes.. corked bottle and doesn't even give a hint of carbonation. No bubbles, nothing.

It smells like sour grapes, or red wine. When you swirl it around in the glass it sticks to the sides. Looks very different from the other stouts that I have had.

I take a sip. Sour. Remindes me of some of the bitter Belgium beers that I have had. Reminisent of red wine. Very shocking actually.

The beer is smooth in your mouth and goes down easily, but I don't particularly enjoy the flavor very much. It's too bitter for a stout. Too different for me to enjoy.

06-13-2005 14:51:45 | More by Buildscharacter
vfgccp

2.38/5  rDev -30%

2003 bottle

A - Oil black. No head or carbonation to speak of.

S - Very strong. Sweet alcohol, cognac, liquorish, chocolate liquor, rasins,

T - Whoa.... Not what I was expecting. Loads of scotch, tannins, roast coffee, hazelnut, oak. If you told me this wasn't a beer I'd believe you.

M - Incredibly dry, even by wine standards. It wasn't enjoyable for me.

D - Drinks more like a burbon than a beer; need to sit and sip on this one.

12-02-2010 01:52:22 | More by vfgccp
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

2001 vintage.

Appearance: Body is thick and viscous, just about as opaque as they come, the blackest shade of burgundy. Even though I poured as vigorously as I could, there is virtually no head, just a thin layer of creamy tan froth that disappears quickly.

Smell: Wow. Loads of anise, port, dark chocolate, espresso, cabernet sauvignon, and raisins. Mild woody, resiny, almost maple syrupy notes in the background. A drop of soy sauce. Alcohol is quite subdued. Awesome.

Taste: Alas, my nose seems to have misled my tongue. A strong, intrusive, almost bile-like sourness permeates the palate and pummels whatever more pleasant flavors this ale might have had to offer. Otherwise, it is roasty, dark chocolatey, and very red wine-like, with robust dark fruit flavors. A slight saltiness accents the sour sharpness. Overall, fairly acrid and not very good.

Mouthfeel: Flat carbonation and surprisingly thin body. Puckering and drying from the sourness.

Drinkability: Well shit, I was really looking forward to this one, especially after smelling it. It could be that this was a bad year, or that the beer does not age well in general, or that this had been improperly stored prior to my purchase, so I would like to try a fresher bottle. But from this experience... I cannot recommend it, no matter how pleasant the aroma.

06-20-2006 06:24:55 | More by soulgrowl
IBUnit63

2.4/5  rDev -29.4%

2003 vintage. 11.2 oz. into Alpine mug.

Syrupy black molasses with spent motor oil viscosity. Flakes from cork suspend in flat thick body. No head at all.

Corky, almost soy feel. Salty, maybe leathery. Little hop presence. A little molasses sweetness comes 'round with warmth.

Again, leather hide with astringency. Maybe tanning oil. Soyish, corked wine. Maybe spoiled with cork taint? No body or thickness...smoky feel with no accompanying sweetness.

Heavy, unpleasant tannins on the palate. Aging hasn't done this well. Warmth brings out leather but finish is reminiscent of hydrogen peroxide.

Heavy in calories and light on good characteristics. Not what we're looking for. Life's too short to drink this...down the drain it goes.

11-05-2008 13:40:51 | More by IBUnit63
davey101

Connecticut

2.4/5  rDev -29.4%

1999 vintage. 11.2 oz corked bottle into an oversized wine glass. I purchased this after the beer guy said he used it to marinade kebobs. I like kebobs! How hard can it be to drink by itself?

A - Dark black body with red tints. Still. I had some mocha bubbles upon a vigorous pour but that didn't last long. There's some legs and small bubbly lacing.

S - Pungent. Really intense roasted malts, and then tons of savory flavors. Soy sauce, worchestire sauce, steak, meat, kebobs, and burnt meat. Slight molasses sweetness, but hugely savory.

T - I sat here for a few minutes before I gained the courage to take a second sip. Its just so intense and savory. Like liquified steak that was marinating in worchestire sauce for 12 years. Salty, some sweet roasty malts, then BAM....meat. zero carbonation.

O - This is best saved for culinary applications at this point. Its just so intense and undrinkable. I guess its a cool history lesson on how RIS's of the past really tasted.

08-10-2011 05:18:08 | More by davey101
CharlieMopps

Vintage 2001

A: Pitch black from the pour, with a half-finger of dark khaki head that dissipated at an average rate.

S: A sweet and syrupy smell shares the bouquet with an almost wheat-like banana fruitiness, as well as a roasted malt character.

T: Interesting interpretation of the RIS style, and this is not necessarily a good thing. Burnt malt flavor floods the palate in all places, but lacks the grace of others of its ilk. An odd Belgian-like sweetness is present also, and this doesn't mesh with the sharp alcohol and hop flavors. Aftertaste is not subtle at all, but rather a very bitter, unpleasant array of burnt malt and dryness. Not a big fan.

M: Carbonation is alright, the thickness of this beer leaves a syrupy path of burnt-ass maltiness that coats the palate.

D: Transitions are abrupt, balance tastes off (even for having mellowed with aging), and the kick of alcohol toward the back is too over-the-top. All in all, I'd have to say that this is one RIS I won't be returning to.

08-05-2007 21:09:03 | More by CharlieMopps
Lnedrive14

2.42/5  rDev -28.8%

I really, really wanted to like this beer - i guess you can't always get what you want.

11.2oz bottle from 2000. 9% ABV listed on the bottle.

A: Pitch black with juicelike bubbles floating at the top. No noticeable carbonation.

S/T: Roasted malts and cherries in the nose. First taste is like port - very, very thin and cold (even though the beer temp was almost room temperature). Ripe cherries and alcohol predominate. A bit of wood comes out as does a burnt smoke flavoring.

This really, really did not taste good. The mouthfeel was way too light (like juice) and the flavors were robust and overwhelming.

09-01-2007 20:44:21 | More by Lnedrive14
ThreeWiseMen

2.42/5  rDev -28.8%

2003 bottle poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance: This is one of the darkest imperial stouts I've come across - no doubt. Body is black, opaque, and very oily. I can't see anything through it. Impressive. What's not impressive is the lack of head. There's literally nothing there.

Smell: Sour, like red wine vinegar. This smells like an oud bruin; not a Russian imperial stout. Anise, roasted malt and smoke are also there, but this just doesn't smell right. It's inoffensive, but definitely off.

Taste: Initially, I thought this beer tasted totally different than it smelled, but then that red wine vinegar flavor came through in the aftertaste. Roasted malt, black licorice, and charred wood seem to be there, because I do find them in the aftertaste. It's weird though: while the beer is in my mouth I don't really taste anything. I tried allowing lots of air in while I sipped, but that didn't help at all. A vigorous swish did nothing more than strengthen the sourness. As with the smell, it's not offensive; it's just really weird.

Mouthfeel: Very, very flat and kind of thin too, especially for something labeled "Imperial Extra Double". I don't think I've ever had a beer with such a boring mouthfeel. It's slug-like; kinda gross. Good deal of warming with a semi-dry finish. Lousy overall.

Drinkability: This is one of the oddest beers I've ever had. I don't know if it's supposed to taste like this, or if my batch was infected, or whatever. I just feel confused... and pretty buzzed (the 10% ABV is getting to me quick). It's actually growing on me now.

12-11-2009 03:07:55 | More by ThreeWiseMen
UnionMade

Colorado

2.48/5  rDev -27.1%

Bottle dated 2000. Cellared for a few years. I think I bought this in 2003.
Black, with no head whatsoever.
Smells of black malts, strong vinous notes, sourness and a bit of rum.
The first impression is that there is no carbonation at all. Completely flat. The flavor is equally akin to wine and beer. Vinous and slightly sour, with roasty, coffee-like malts. Not quite a harmonious blend. The malt is nice for what it is. Soft and mellow, but the wine-like qualities are less than charming. I'm not sure if this was the intention for this brew, but it isn't exactly what I was hoping for. Poured this one out after a few sips.

02-09-2009 14:11:15 | More by UnionMade
Zorro

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

2001 Vintage Bottle.

No carbonation to speak off as the cork is extracted.

Pours a headless coal black beer.

I take a big sniff and surprised to smell Grape Sod! I expected lots of things but not that. Smell is sweet and a little sour and after a bit the smell does develop a bit more. A bit of smoke, bit of spice and a bit of soy sauce; but it still really smells like Grape Soda.

Taste is salty smoky and bitter with more than a bit of Scandinavian Black Licorice flavor. If you have ever tasted Danish Licorice you know the taste, salty and licorice, not a flavor Americans really like. Yep Danish Licorice, I hate the stuff and I live near Solvang California so I know way too much about some of the few nasty Danish foods. Not really tasty.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Well this was $6 wasted on a quite nasty tasting beer. Save yourself the expense and buy yourself some Scandinavian Licorice instead and taste that. You will save $5.

04-15-2006 01:23:27 | More by Zorro
Hibernator

Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout
11.2 oz brown bottle
2000 release
Served in a La Binchoise tulip glass

Pours a jet black in the glass. Looks like ink. Absolutely no head, which is rather interesting. No lacings either.

Complex nose with whiffs of dark fruits, roasted coffee beans and prunes.

Roasted malt flavors with a coffee bitterness and then a crazy blend of complexity. Hints of cherries dipped in chocolate, raw funk and molasses. There is also an oaky, wood dryness on the finish.

This beer reminds me more of a port wine or sherry than an imperial stout. This may be authentic to the original style, but in terms of pure enjoyment I've had much, much better. For a beer that has time to age and mellow for 6 years, I would expect a greater balance. I picked up some strange sour flavors and a not-so-good soy sauce taste. This beer could be a close relative to the Sam Adams Triple Bock. I sipped and sipped this one, but it just didn't click with me.

08-06-2006 00:51:53 | More by Hibernator
wchesak

South Carolina

11.2 oz 2003 9% alcohol

Poured into a Val-Dieu glass (snifter)

A - very dark, oil like color, no carbonation at all but a few bubbles on the edge

S - about 2 feet from it and it smells like i have my nose in a bottle of whiskey, surprisingly as I move in closer the smells become more complex - port, ripe dark fruit, vanilla

T - chocolate malt with the beginning hints of whiskey notes, mid taste a slight hop that lasts briefly, than moves to whiskey notes

M - medium bodied for the style, somewhat surprisingly to me, no carbonation, velvety in texture

D - once was enough for me, maybe would want to try another year, but not for the cost, ill stick with ten fidy

08-01-2009 21:39:00 | More by wchesak
Pintofbrown

Iowa

2.53/5  rDev -25.6%

I poured this authentic RIS into a shaker pint.

Appearance- This one is a looker. Great three and a half - finger Tootise Roll colored head is quite magnificent. So many pock marks dapple the cap and are accompanied by tiny bubbles. And of course, the retention is great, with big, random flecks of chunky lace.

The body? Pitch black.

Smell- How incredibly unbalanced is this one! The list includes: red wine, roasted malt, wood chips, some dark fruit, and soy sauce. All of these flavors mixing together create some rather unpleasant scents.

Taste- Unfortunately this stout is not much better here. I get a definite feel of leather and some more red wine to lead off the drink. A nice touch that went far too quickly was some dark cherry tang.

Roasted malt is also doing some good things here, but it takes forever to pick it out after adjusting to the weird flavors. The finish is strong with some fresh mint and soy sauce. Wow. Wow not in a good way.

Mouth feel- The feel is good. Technically, this beer is fine. This one is pretty flat and slick, but for how long this was aged, I was expecting that. And the body is bordering on full.

Overall- Well, it is not terrible. But how incredibly strange can an RIS get? The smells and flavors are all over the place, and maybe parts of them worked, but as a whole it is mostly a mess.

Honestly, for how much a bottle of this was, I could never justify picking it up again.

12-22-2011 22:43:58 | More by Pintofbrown
SilentSabre

North Dakota

2.55/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is without question, the most bizarre beer I have had in quite a long time. It did not have a standard cap, rather, it had a cork which was in turn covered by a foil sheath that was fitted around the exterior of the bottle neck. The cork split in half laterally across its middle, but I was able to get it out without dropping debris into the beer. It poured absolutely black. However, it did so with no head at all. Only some clear bubbles as though someone were aggressively pouring a cup of coffee. The smell was very vinous and grapey. There was also a bit of a smell present that reminded me of the cork. The whole smell of this thing is very assertive. I don't think I can smell anything in there that I am used to smelling, actually. The taste is sort of bitter sweet up front, with some alcohol making an appearance in the middle. There is some roasted malt on the finish. The whole experience of this thing so far is very strange, as this is unlike anything I have ever had before. I have a feeling that this is what RIS in their pinnacle would have been like. I'm glad I tried it, but I won't exactly be rushing back out to buy more of this, that's for sure.
*Note: This bottle is dated 2000

08-26-2006 03:46:21 | More by SilentSabre
Jredner

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

Bottle from Hyde Park Express. Smelled like alcohol and rotten prunes. Poured a gloppy black with out even the vaguest suggestion of a head. Salty and nominally sweet. Tastes of oysters and burnt bread dipped in milk.

Really didn’t like it and I like most stouts. Just too many unfavorable flavors that aren’t properly balanced.

02-26-2006 18:30:51 | More by Jredner
Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout from Harvey & Son Ltd.