Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout - Harvey & Son Ltd.

Le Coq Imperial Extra Double StoutLe Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout

Harvey & Son Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 02-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout Alström Bros

2.05/5  rDev -39.9%

2003 vintage poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a no head that fades slowly and no lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains roasted malts, molasses, chocolate and a touch of dark fruit.

T: The taste is much the same as the smell with strong flavors of molasses, chocolate and some dark fruit but age has taken just about everything else out of this beer. The malt character is very hearty. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Not crisp or smooth but quite viscous, heavy body, no carbonation left, finish is sticky.

O: Some flavor still left, a little filling, strong kick, I’m scoring the beer how it is at 9 years old but I plan on reviewing a fresher release of this beer at some point in the future.

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured into a perfect pint. 2003 vintage.

4.0 A: Pitch ass black color. Half a finger of frothy light brown head that falls quickly and leaves no lacing. I'm impressed that there's any carbonation, so high scores here.

3.5 S: This smells like dirt wrapped in mud and roasted. Supremely earthy with mineral and soy sauce notes. Molasses, roasted barley, and some bittersweet chocolate. Quite interesting to say the least.

3.0 T: I have to evaluate the taste in the context of it being 9 years old. If this was fresh and thus the intended composition of the brewer, this would have to be evaluated differently. This is the earthiest beer I've ever drank. Dirt, mineral, mountain stream water dominate. Light soy sauce, molasses, and bitter chocolate. Pithy woodiness, moderate roastiness, and a light booziness. Interesting and not like much of anything I've had before.

4.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good carbonation, especially for a beer this old. Even a nice creaminess. Very good here.

3.5 D: For a beer that is almost a decade old, it's pretty good. I wouldn't want to drink this often, but I'm glad I had it. It's pretty tasty in a new type of way.

3.75/5  rDev +10%

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%

For International Stout Day, how about an international stout, a foreign Imperial Extra Double Stout, sounds epic. However, I also noticed the version imported here to U.S. is only 9% while BA lists at 10% so either it changed or they gave us the weaker version.... oh well.

2008 vintage on this puppy.

it pours out like thick black coffee, and reveals a huge fluffy head of 2 fingers, dark chocolate colored, fades slowly with lots of lacing that just coats the glass itself, over an essentially pitch black beer with no real light coming through.

Unfortunately nose starts with an infection set in, which is interesting as there was no infection appearance. A light sour tangy aroma, but behind that is a nice stout, a light acrid roast, bit of cocoa, fluffy nougat and caramel candy aromas, the chocolate caramel candies like milk duds, a hint of earthy malts and a touch of dark chocolate. The tangy infection fades very quickly luckily.

Taste doesn't really have any infection flavor, maybe just a hint in the background luckily. it does start with fluffy airy chocolate, a weird light bitter but slightly milky chocolate that's hard to really explain, with tons of caramel as well, and some fluffy nougat, adding just a touch of nutty flavor in the back makes this a combination of almost every candy bar out there, with much less sweetness thankfully. It brings just a touch of roast and acrid flavor but very little. It does bring some bitterness, but I think more from the charred roasty malt flavors, although a little earthy hop kick as well. It has that foreign extra stout like bitterness and earthiness which is unique and is that flavor I get an itch for from time to time. The chocolate flavor turns more towards baker's or dark chocolate as it goes, and fairly rich at the same time. Finish is like melted baker's chocolate, slightly creamy and thick, coats the mouth well with more bitterness and stoutness, little caramel and chewy malt like flavors, and a long bitterness that turns slightly salty even.

Mouth is fuller bodied, rich and thick with lots of carbonation that is infused well to give it a fluffy feel.

Overall pretty good. Other than that slight infection set in on the aroma it's nice. Good candy bar flavors without the sweetness, nice chocolate characters that change as the beer moves along, quite a bit of nice stoutness and bitterness throughout. Long finish as well.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a pitch black with a copper/chocolate-y head. There is some slight carbonation, but not very much.

S - Smells almost like a sour stout. I initially thought there would be a slight tang to the taste from my initial smell.

T - Malty coffee-ness and dates with a bitter chocolate finish

M - Light initially like a sour stout, but quickly becomes heavier and finishes likes a true imperial Russian stout.

O - This an an interesting beer and a good example of the style. Its initial smell lead me to believe it might have more sour characteristics, but it might be because lately I've been drinking so much sour beer. Nonetheless, the taste and mouth-feel were very pleasant and something I would drink again and recommend to friends. The cap said 2009, so I'm not sure how much the age of the beer affected it.

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

2008 Vintage Sampled August 29 2012.

Appearance- Jet back with a copper-colored head with a texture like velour. It only gives a thin surface cap but hangs around the edges of the glass waiting to reclaim thick legs that take entire minutes to fall. Opaque.

Aroma- sweet dried fruit, very vinous, suggestive of a brett character... getting chills and visitations from memories of thomas hardys. Flowery, earthy, leathery. Center of the aroma is well-fermented molasses, sour cherrys, faint metallic odor, baking bread, hint of ash, ..definitely some funk running up in here. I could smell this forever.

Flavor- Wow. Where to start? A little sour as anticipated, but grounded in a deep, rich, dark syrupy malt base with peppery alcohol dropping the bottom out for a roasty finish. Flavors and sensations pass in waves. Notes of baked apple and fig. Just bitter enough. Lovely fennel/ caraway dimension. Candied plum coming out with warmth. Chocolate-covered strawberries. At times begins to impersonate a well-aged fruit forward / jammy red wine. Hey rides into the sinuses. A little nut and mocha coming out in the finish. Amazingly the classic stout points of roast, chocolate, coffee, etc are basically the last thing I notice when drinking this beer. That stuff is really mellow and there is just so much else going on.

Mouthfeel - This beer makes love to my mouth. It is velvety, creamy, heavy, smooth, fluffy, oily, full-bodied, all at the same time. Carbonation is on the low side but certainly present even at this age. There is virtually nothing bracing going on at all. Smooth all the way down. Sourness and alcohol only tease the palate and tickle the senses making me want to keep this beer in my mouth as long as possible.

Overall - I don't know what to say. My mind is totally blown. I feel guilty I opened this without other people around. Why does nobody talk about this beer? It is literally the awesomest thing I have drank in my life. Why does this beer not have a higher score? Fine by me, I'll be buying it up every chance I get.

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

1.5/5  rDev -56%

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

I was very lucky to get this in Secret Santa '11, 2001 vintage, poured at cellar temp. The cork was on the dry side, but this is an 11 year old beer. It pours with a very slight head. The color is jet black. The aroma has notes of cherries, coffee, wood, chocolate. There definitely is a sour note to the beer, it rounds out with coffee and chocolate. It is very smooth, very low carbonation, 9% abv not noticeable. This is the oldest brew I have ever tried, and it has held up quite well. A little different take on a RIS, but very enjoyable.

1.13/5  rDev -66.9%

Vintage 2008, ABV 9%, 9.3oz Crowned bottle

Pours black with profound three fingers of mocha foam, this falls slowly, to a regenerative quilt of the same. Initial smell is like lacto and butterscotch. Hard to get past these two characteristics. The flavor is of leather, burnt beef, chokecherries and tobacco. Really nasty. Thin for the style with insane carb feel (although not a gusher) for the style. dry finish. Not sure how this beer earned all these medals indicated on its label, because this beer is shite.

3.8/5  rDev +11.4%

2008 vintage. 9.3 oz bottle poured into a snifter. 9% abv.

Appearance is pitch black with a decent one finger dark brown head. Decent retention for a beer of this strength.

Quite a bit of cherry in the nose along with wood, dark cocoa, and red wine. Almost a slight sour, lambic smell to it.

Taste has a lot of cherry at first along with some other dark fruit. This then leads to a sweet, almost milk chocolate flavor along with some roastiness. There is a light tartness on the tip of the tongue along with a strong warmth from the alcohol. Mouthfeel is very slick and finishes quite sticky.

I'm sort of torn on this beer. There are many complex flavors but the whole package seems a bit overwhelming. The alcohol is more present than the 9% would lead one to believe and the sweetness comes close to being cloying. Not sure I would get it again but I'm glad I tried it.

1.53/5  rDev -55.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2003 vintage. Served in a tulip.
Is it fair to critique a beer this old?
Tightly corked. Popped out clean.
Poured dark and flat. Totally flat. Nothing. Nada. Flat.
Chocolate notes picked up in the glass. Bitterness on the nose foretells what's to come.
Bitter chocolate. Like the most bitter chocolate you ever tasted that's intended for cooking, not to eat.
I want to savor this beer but just can't. No redeeming value to this beer at all unless you're into punishing your palate.
Drain pour? Haven't decided yet. I'm compelled to drink it just so I can say I did.
Update: I drainpoured this sucker. I just couldn't punish my senses any longer. Life is too short.

4.5/5  rDev +32%

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

This one poured out as a deep black coloe with a brown colored head on top. the head settles pretty quickly with some scattered lace on the glass. The smell of the beer was a little on the musty side, very earthy and almost reminded me of a very old wooden barrel or something. The taste of the beer packs a little bit of a punch to it. I was surprised by the flavor but not really impressed by it either. The malts were roasted and that was ok but there were some other funky flavors going on that I wasn't too fond of. The mouthfeel of the beer was far too thin for an Imperial Stout in my opinion. Low carbonation and lacked depth. Overall I wasn't too thrilled with this brew. I can't see myself picking this one up ever again.

Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout from Harvey & Son Ltd.