No Name IPA - Cody Brewing Company

No Name IPANo Name IPA

Cody Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 11-12-2010)
bigoten13

1.45/5  rDev -54%

Was having a birthday celebration and I was picking up the tab and wasn't entertaining and BAs, so I went with some cheaper beers and a couple local growlers. Picked this one up, mostly because I needed an IPA to balance out the wheats and lagers I had already selected, and the label made me think it was going to be something special. The label was extremely bare, basic, and seemed as if someone had printed it off microsoft word and sharpied in the beer style and name. This made me feel like I was in for a small, local treat that was not focused on the marketing, but purely focused on the brewing. I was wrong...

I'll start with the goods and wrap it up with the complaints:

- A: Great golden caramel color with a formidable head that never seemed to disappear. Best part of the beer.

-S: Okay smell, hints of malt and some hop character, though it left more to be desired.

-T: The most peculiar tasting beer ever. It was like I had drank two bottles back to back to back to back, one of IPA and one of water. My tastebuds were tantalized, and then drowned with watery nothingness, then tantalized, then drowned, etc. After three good swigs (tried to give it the good ol college try) I was decided: no more. I have no idea if my growler was bad or what was going on, either way I made my friends taste it to confirm my suspicions, and then we dumped the remaining 50 or so ounces.

-M: You'd think with such prominent head that the mouthfeel would benefit from carbonation, but the wateriness exhibited in the taste was duplicated in the mouthfeel because I was in a constant limbo and just couldn't handle it.

-D: I could only have three swigs, and my friends could barely choke down one. Enough said.

If you have had a positive growler experience with this beer, please shoot me a beermail and I'll give it another try. Otherwise, the no-name IPA should become a no-existence IPA in my opinion.

03-01-2011 08:39:28 | More by bigoten13
cracker

1.73/5  rDev -45.1%

I don't know if I got a bad bottle but this beer was pretty darn awful (batch #3). I got this as a gift from my wife's godparents who live in Mass. The color is appropriate (amber) but it goes downhill after that. Smell is of wet horse blanket. Taste is bitter but downright strong overwhelming presence of wet horse. This is clearly contaminated probably by brettanomyces. If it were labeled as a funky belgian IPA it may fly but it's still pretty nasty in my mind. Bitter yes but no floral citrusy hop aromas. I guess I'll probably never know if it was a bad bottle....

01-07-2011 01:04:21 | More by cracker
DonFrap

07-16-2013 02:12:30 | More by DonFrap
Rekrule

2.25/5  rDev -28.6%

10-20-2012 20:23:02 | More by Rekrule
jneiswender

2.35/5  rDev -25.4%

Had on tap at the Bacon and Beer festival in Boston. On tap, cool, served in a tasting glass.

A-amber body with an off white head.

S-cereal, pine, raw bread dough

T-pine, jolly rancher quality to it.

M-medium mouthfeel

D-I kind of felt that for the style it was a bit light on the hops. I know that traditional IPAs are not as hoppy as some brewers make it out to be but this one was still short.

07-20-2011 04:21:01 | More by jneiswender
Psychmusic

Rhode Island

2.4/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance: Nice golden orange color with a huge pillowy sudsy head that actually stuck around and left some decent lacing. Very nice overall

Smell: Given that this was around room temperature, the smell was remarkably lackluster. Vague cereal notes with only the faintest hint of piney hops. I have very little desire to drink this after smelling it.

Taste: Light grain taste with no hop flavor at all. A harsh bitterness in the back of the mouth that is really unpleasant given the lack of hoppiness

Mouthfeel: Not bad at all.. medium to high carbonation with a relatively light body. No complaints here

Overall: The bitterness in this brew seemed medicinal rather than hoppy. It's not entirely undrinkable, but there are so many good choices out there that put this to shame for a lot less money.

12-26-2012 16:34:05 | More by Psychmusic
DirtyPenny

2.4/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a nice burnt orange. Cloudy with two inches of off-white head. Not getting much a nose from this other than a bit of dirty dishwater, which carries through to the flavor. Yecch. Tinny taste with a faint hint of citrus and a bit of sweet biscuity malt, but minimal IPA bitterness at best. Oily and slick on the tongue.

Maybe I got a bad bottle? This doesn't taste like an IPA. I'm not a fan of the style, but I do like to have one every once in a while and something seemed wrong here. No bitterness and the odd metallic flavor makes me think that something went wrong here.

08-28-2013 00:29:52 | More by DirtyPenny

09-03-2013 01:40:53 | More by MLaVioletteJr
CooperEllis

2.78/5  rDev -11.7%

22oz bottle into .3l tulip
no bottle date - Batch 4.

Pours nicely, dirty body, little feathering of the color; somewhere mid-auburn with darker fingers. The head is exceptional, moderate pour yielded a full 1.5" head that left pillowsoft bubbles and a whole lot of sticky lacing.

There is a pleasant aroma, but not one I typically associate with an IPA. While there are floral hop notes and a slight burnt citrus note, there is an obvious vanilla bean note as well.

The taste just isn't here. There is a good bit of hops bitterness but there is no depth to the flavor. The vanillabean and the floral hops aren't at all. There is an unfortunate soapy taste at the finish.

Surprisingly nice mouthfeel. I could almost see giving it a 5 except that it is so bitter and the bitter sticks at the end leaving a sour finishing note.

May well be someone elses cup of tea, but not mine. If your IPA is going to be a one-trick bitter pony, fine, but I at least want it to be clean and leave the palate without a sticky bitter note at the end.

(89th)

01-21-2011 01:11:45 | More by CooperEllis
angrybabboon

Rhode Island

2.88/5  rDev -8.6%

Review adapted from notes taken 1/8/11

Appearance: Golden copper/amber with a decent fluffy head and some lacing

Smell: Unexciting at best - some piney, floral hops, but not IPA-level - some sweet, caramel malts in the background, something that smells like wax

Taste: Not bad, but not particularly good - tastes like an IPA homebrew made with malt extracts and fermented with poor temperature control - I can say this because I have homebrewed a beer extremely similar to this - hints of waxy off-flavors - some sweet malts, some hops, decent balance, but nothing special

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium-bodied without too much carbonation

Overall: Disappointing, but not terrible

I probably should mention that I grew up in Amesbury, MA, and I was really excited to hear about a brewery opening up in my home town. I had dreams of going home to visit my parents and getting some growler fills... Sadly, I will never be filling a growler with this beer. I've had other Cody beers that are better, thankfully, for this one just tastes like mediocre homebrew. If you've ever attempted to brew an IPA with an unexciting selection of hops and a fluctuating fermentation temperature, you've had this beer. For everyone else, it's just an average IPA in a very crowded market of better IPAs.

06-15-2011 15:52:06 | More by angrybabboon
BostonHops

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

22oz bottle served in a standard shaker pint.

pours a cloudy amber tone while yielding about a 1" beige/off-white head; decent retention and lacing. nose is middling; lacks that big, aromatic hoppiness i look for in my IPAs. muted pine and caramel malt.

flavor mostly follows the aroma. decent, drinkable IPA but won't raise many eyebrows: pine/floral hops balanced with caramel malt; secondary notes of citrus and even funk. medium-bodied mouthfeel with slightly below average carbonation.

overall this is a middle-of-the-road IPA. wouldn't turn it down if offered but with so many options out there i can't see seeking it out for a revisit.

(originally reviewed: 06-01-2011)

06-14-2012 21:33:23 | More by BostonHops
jdhilt

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a two-finger cream head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Almost clear amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Nose is light grapefruit hops, flavor is grapefruit hops and some caramel. Lingering bitter finish. Good name for this indistinguishable IPA. Batch #6, $4.99 for a 22oz bottle from Kappy's Fine Wine & Spirits Peabody, Ma.

05-13-2011 21:46:32 | More by jdhilt
BostonPhilly

06-24-2013 18:19:26 | More by BostonPhilly
smcolw

Modest head that settles into mainly rim bubbles. Spotty lace on the glass. Light chill haze on an otherwise solidly amber brew.

Overly fruity (berry punch?) smell--perhaps it was fermented at too warm a temperature. No hop aroma. Not good for the style.

The flavor is much better. The up front is not as sweet (or fruity) as the the smell indicates. Also, there is a biting bitterness in the swallow as well as a long lasting peppery finish. Not very complex but it does fit the profile. The body is typical for the style.

06-05-2011 02:21:23 | More by smcolw