1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

No Name IPA - Cody Brewing Company

No Name IPANo Name IPA

Cody Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 11-12-2010)
View: Beers (18) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 64 | Reviews: 31 | Show All Ratings:
bigoten13

1.45/5  rDev -54%

Was having a birthday celebration and I was picking up the tab and wasn't entertaining and BAs, so I went with some cheaper beers and a couple local growlers. Picked this one up, mostly because I needed an IPA to balance out the wheats and lagers I had already selected, and the label made me think it was going to be something special. The label was extremely bare, basic, and seemed as if someone had printed it off microsoft word and sharpied in the beer style and name. This made me feel like I was in for a small, local treat that was not focused on the marketing, but purely focused on the brewing. I was wrong...

I'll start with the goods and wrap it up with the complaints:

- A: Great golden caramel color with a formidable head that never seemed to disappear. Best part of the beer.

-S: Okay smell, hints of malt and some hop character, though it left more to be desired.

-T: The most peculiar tasting beer ever. It was like I had drank two bottles back to back to back to back, one of IPA and one of water. My tastebuds were tantalized, and then drowned with watery nothingness, then tantalized, then drowned, etc. After three good swigs (tried to give it the good ol college try) I was decided: no more. I have no idea if my growler was bad or what was going on, either way I made my friends taste it to confirm my suspicions, and then we dumped the remaining 50 or so ounces.

-M: You'd think with such prominent head that the mouthfeel would benefit from carbonation, but the wateriness exhibited in the taste was duplicated in the mouthfeel because I was in a constant limbo and just couldn't handle it.

-D: I could only have three swigs, and my friends could barely choke down one. Enough said.

If you have had a positive growler experience with this beer, please shoot me a beermail and I'll give it another try. Otherwise, the no-name IPA should become a no-existence IPA in my opinion.

03-01-2011 08:39:28 | More by bigoten13
beerdude63

4.18/5  rDev +32.7%

Grabbed some Cody's for some growlers to ride out the storm. It poured out golden in color with a think creamy head, which was funny because there didnt seem to be a whole lot of carbonation to it. The aroma was light but had hints of sweet malt and spicy hops. The taste was great, a bit of malt and caramel with citrus, as well as a spicy pine hop, which was different but had a great flavor. Over all a really good session IPA. Highly recommend.

02-02-2011 20:46:57 | More by beerdude63
CooperEllis

2.78/5  rDev -11.7%

22oz bottle into .3l tulip
no bottle date - Batch 4.

Pours nicely, dirty body, little feathering of the color; somewhere mid-auburn with darker fingers. The head is exceptional, moderate pour yielded a full 1.5" head that left pillowsoft bubbles and a whole lot of sticky lacing.

There is a pleasant aroma, but not one I typically associate with an IPA. While there are floral hop notes and a slight burnt citrus note, there is an obvious vanilla bean note as well.

The taste just isn't here. There is a good bit of hops bitterness but there is no depth to the flavor. The vanillabean and the floral hops aren't at all. There is an unfortunate soapy taste at the finish.

Surprisingly nice mouthfeel. I could almost see giving it a 5 except that it is so bitter and the bitter sticks at the end leaving a sour finishing note.

May well be someone elses cup of tea, but not mine. If your IPA is going to be a one-trick bitter pony, fine, but I at least want it to be clean and leave the palate without a sticky bitter note at the end.

(89th)

01-21-2011 01:11:45 | More by CooperEllis
cracker

1.73/5  rDev -45.1%

I don't know if I got a bad bottle but this beer was pretty darn awful (batch #3). I got this as a gift from my wife's godparents who live in Mass. The color is appropriate (amber) but it goes downhill after that. Smell is of wet horse blanket. Taste is bitter but downright strong overwhelming presence of wet horse. This is clearly contaminated probably by brettanomyces. If it were labeled as a funky belgian IPA it may fly but it's still pretty nasty in my mind. Bitter yes but no floral citrusy hop aromas. I guess I'll probably never know if it was a bad bottle....

01-07-2011 01:04:21 | More by cracker
muttyd

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Picked up a bomber at a shop up in Salem, MA.

Nice amber/orange body with a huge fluffy head. Really amazing head on this beer, persists throughout and really opens up the aroma. Aroma is of big flower hops, slight biscuit, some pine. Flavor is florally sweet, slightly piney, caramel sweet, and well balanced. Somewhat bitter / astringent finish that leaves the mouth watering for more. Very drinkable, big flavors even at 5.5% abv. Glad I picked up a few beers by this brewery. Definitely will seek out again.

11-21-2010 02:34:05 | More by muttyd
chrisgn

3.93/5  rDev +24.8%

Growler from Redstone Liquors. Brought fresh from the brewery today. (11/12)

Batch 3 59 IBU

A- Dark golden color, unfiltered. Very thin head and minimal lacing.

S- Piny hop aromas predominate.

T- Well hopped with piny bitterness, but balanced with a hit of malt sweetness.

M- medium bodied. carbonation is low. Could definitely use more here.

D- Nicely hopped, but not over the top. That combined with the 5.5 % make a nice hoppy session beer. This was very fresh and happy to see I can get local, fresh craft beer so close to my home.

Keep on truckin' Cody!