Banana Nut Dunkelweizen - Cody Brewing Company

pDev: n/a
Cody Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Dunkelweizen |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: albern on 12-23-2010)
1/5  rDev n/a

3.33/5  rDev n/a

A - Pours a cloudy dark amber-orange color with two-fingers of off-white/tan creamy head. The head has good retention and laces nicely.

S - Lots of banana smell hits the nose immediately. There is also a fairly strong wheat mixed in also. A sweet malt backbone is also noticeable in the aroma.

T - Right off the bat there is a mix of banana flavor and some wheat characteristics. There is also a sweetness and some spice that is also mixed in, maybe clove. Kinda of like banana bread though a little all over the place. Through the middle a little of the malt comes through. The finish is a bit more balanced with lot of the same flavors. They stay a bit more balanced here. There is a bit of lingering of the banana flavor.

M - Medium bodied and moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel feels a bit off. It feels a bit watery at times and almost a bit syrupy at others.

D - Semi drinkable. The flavors a bit out of balance and all over the place. Though from the middle on it has some similar tastes as banana bread which is actually nice. The mouthfeel is not great though.

2.3/5  rDev n/a

Fact: I will buy any beer that promises bananas.

Batch #1. I like the minimalist bottle art. Pours a translucent toffee color that darkens as the glass thickens. Thin, shale white head fled like I scared it. After drinking only 1/4 of this there was no lace nor retention in sight. C'mon, wheat makes for easy foam. Boo.

Smells off right away. There's an earthy soil, wheaty sour eck that jumps from the glass. I don't know what it is but I don't like it and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be there. A subtle caramel aroma gasping for air underneath all that stank.

Taste is more in line with a dunkel: crisp, light toffee and bread...and more stank. That Brett-like tang I don't think is supposed to be there and it's not appreciated. Um, so where's the banana? I'll buy nut bread but banana isn't in the building.

This is terrible. I'm not sure if the bottle is infected or the fermentation was outta control but this was an easy drainpour. I was stoked to have another brewery in the area but I hope Cody's other stuff is better. Actually, I had a braggot they brewed for Pampelmousse that was pretty bad too.

Bummer.

4.3/5  rDev n/a

Went by the brewery on Christmas Eve to pick up a few growlers, and ended up hang out with the brewers for a bit while I sampled all their current offerings. Before I tried their Dunkelweizen one of the brewers told me they fermented it with banana and reminded me that it wasnt a "candy" beer.

A Definitely a dark wheat beer. Brown and caramel in color, it appeared to be a little to cloudy when I first poured it out but after a few moments it cleared up but no yeast on the bottom of the glass or in the bottle.

S Light on the aroma but slight banana, with yeast, wheat, and caramel

T I thought it was great, slight banana and earthy nuttiness, caramel, with a residual sweetness

M Light on the carbonation, with lighter medium body.

D Overall a great beer. I like the fact that it wasnt like drinking banana ice cream. More like eating some banana nut bread and washing it down with some dunkelweizen. Not the best dunkelweizen I have ever had but a good local one.

3.25/5  rDev n/a

Cody Brewing Company needs to start adding some real labels to their bottles. The marketing of the beer is poor. That being said, they also need to work on the taste of the beer too. This beer, which is Batch 1, probably was just released. It pours a dirty water brown, not much head or retention with some particulates floating about. The nose is odd, really odd, and I think it has to do with the yeast this brew house is using. There is a little Bretty type cheese in the yeast and some other odd aromas.

The flavor is as odd as the nose. It's a drinkable beer, but I don't think it is a real keeper. The beer has the coarse slight pricklishness on the tongue that you would find with the style. There is also plenty of dark wheat in the beer, but the yeast is killing this thing, or at least I think it is the yeast. There aren't any peculiar hops present, in fact the hops are subdued, what you expect from the style. The malts are fairly standard, there is a darked cracked wheatiness, a coarseness, maybe a touch of watery molasses and caramel. I return to the slightly biting, slightly musty yeast. I recently had their No Name IPA which was all but undrinkable because of the yeast. I think this beer is in the same vein, but of better quality. This brew house needs to improve its offerings or it won't be around much longer.

Banana Nut Dunkelweizen from Cody Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.