CEO Stout - Right Brain Brewery

Beer added by: ffejherb on 12-03-2008

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 242 | Reviews: 37
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Hmm, I was expecting more from this brew, but perhaps it's better on tap?

A- Pitch black, little head with no retention, and almost no lacing. It does look like black coffee, which is the only way I take my coffee.

S- Smells like coffee, though without the lingering coffee aroma in the air that you'd get from the pot or hot mug.

T- Cold coffee, but not too strong or weak. No complaints here. The coffee aftertaste lingers and that's quite nice.

M- This is where I'm most disappointed. It's way too thin for my tastes. That said, since black coffee isn't as thick as a normal stout, perhaps that's what they were aiming for? I'd prefer it to be a bit creamier, though.

Overall, it delivers as a coffee stout, but I'd rather try something more full-bodied next time.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

22 ounce bottle into pint glass; no bottle dating, but was bottled very recently. Pours fairly pitch black color with a nice 2 finger fairly dense dark tan head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas a huge dark chocolate, espresso, roasted malt, cocoa, toast, light char, light smoke, and light caramel. Fantastic aromas with great strength and balance of coffee and dark roasted notes. Taste of coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt, cocoa, toast, light char, toffee, and caramel. Light coffee bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt, cocoa, toast, toffee, light char, and caramel on the finish for a bit. Very nice balance and robustness of dark roasted flavors; with zero cloying flavors present after the finish. The big nose didn’t mirror in the taste, but it is still nice. Medium carbonation and body; with a creamy and lightly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with hardly any warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is an excellent coffee stout. Very nice balance and robustness of roasted flavors; and very easy to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.72/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Very coffee, that is cold coffee, some expresso. Creamy mouthfeel. Big coffee aroma. Black with a llittle head, lacey. Average all around. Bottle from Steve in Warren.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I got a couple bottles of Right Brain's CEO Stout from my friend Ben for Christmas, it came in the limited gift set sold only at the brewery. I tried this beer during my visit to Right Brain in the Fall, I thought it was a nice Coffee Stout, but since Right Brain Just started Bottling their beers and this is the first one they Bottled, I thought I should sit down with a bottle and give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label. it's pretty well done, and it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice pitch black color that didn't let any light come through with three fingers worth of fluffy light mocha colored head that died down to a thick ring that left lots of nice lacing. This was a very good looking beer, there was nothing that was wrong with it.

S- The aroma start of with loads of coffee that impart a real nice gourmet coffee aroma that is pretty damn good. After that comes a slight grainy aroma followed by a light amount of caramel and a noticeable amount of dark chocolate to round out the aroma. The aroma was very good, it had a great coffee aroma with some other nice aromas that made it smell more complex then just Black coffee.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but lighter. It starts off with with some coffee flavors that are nice but they aren't as rich and nice as they were in the aroma. After that comes some grainy and roasted malts flavors followed by a lower amount of sweetness. Towards the end comes a slight bit of chocolate followed by a light amount of medium bitterness and some astringent coffee bitterness with a grainy and black coffee like aftertaste. This beer had a nice taste to it, but the thinner flavors held it back from being as good as it could be.

M- Pretty smooth, a little watery, on the thinner side of being medium bodied and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was average, the carbonation and drinkability were good, but it just felt too thin and watery for the style.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and an above average example of the style, it had some great coffee aromas but it fell a little short after that. This beer had good drinkability, it was pretty smooth and the flavor did a decent job at holding my attention, a bomber of this is a good amount, I wouldn't want any more than that. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both very good with the aroma having lots of great coffee aspects that I enjoyed. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was just to thin and watery for the style, it would really benefit from a thicker body. I would buy this beer again when looking for a nice Coffee Stout, and I recommend giving it a try. All in all I liked this beer but there is room for improvement and it doesn't come close to being my favorite Coffee Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout still holds that title. Nice work Right Brain, It's nice to see you guys getting your brews out there to the public, you can be sure I will be trying some more of their releases. Thanks a lot Ben, this was a kick ass gift.

4.01/5  rDev +6.4%

On tap in a pint at the Berkley Front.

A - Black as a moonless night with a thin chocolate brown ring of foam.

S - Did I order beer or iced black coffee? Wow that's a lot of coffee! In the best way possible. The deep, rich, roast didn't allow me to get other notes, but it immediately took me back to some of the best cups of coffee I've ever had in France or Italy. No quite espresso, but very rich.

T - This is lovely. Full of rich full-bodied black coffee with none of the bitterness. I'm guessing a debittered black must have been used.

M - Full bodied and complex that lingers on the tongue in the same way coffee does.

O - This is a great beer and highly recommended.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

A- Pours black with thin tan head leaving nice lacing.

S- Toasty, chocolate and coffee.

T- Starts with roasty malt, choc nibs, coffee finish and lasting aftertaste.

M- Moderate in body with light carbonation. Very smooth!

Extremely smooth and easy to drink, very coffee stout!

3.72/5  rDev -1.3%

I had this at Right Brain on 1/11/11.

CEO Stout is handed to me looking somewhere in between dark brown and black. The head is of a dark khaki to light mocha color and is fairly negligible. There is not much lacing left behind save for some tiny dots on the pint glass.

Coffee is the main component in the bouquet and is supported nicely by roasted malts when agitated. I can also smell some light notes of bitter chocolate and nuttiness.

Coffee also takes the lead in the taste, with undertones of roasted malt, bitter cocoa, and peanut. I also taste a bit of dairy creaminess in the middle of a draught. The finish is a pleasant combination of bittering hops and acidic coffee.

This beer plays between light and medium in my mouth and is just a little creamy and silky. There is a lingering bitterness on my palate post-sip from the hops and coffee.

I found this to be a nicely drinkable stout and the most enjoyable Right Brain brew that I have had to date. It was very approachable and had a lot of good coffee stout characteristics going for it.

4.44/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a growler into a Murphy's pub glass.

Black as night with a ruby hue around the rim of the glass. Thick oatmeal head, good thick lace clings.

Smells of dark malts; patent, roast and chocolate. Bready freshness and coffee.

Taste is huge coffee and biscuit, bready chocolate and oatmeal dryness in the finish. This is quite a dynamic stout. This is a bit more mellowed from the staight on-tap I've sampled. Seems to have shifted shape for a week in the growler. Extremely gratifying and sessionable.

Drinkable. YES!

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from growler into a standard pint glass
Dark black in color with two-inch tan head
Aroma-Dark roasted coffee and chocolate
Taste-I had the growler for over a week before opening, and it being the first one I've ever bought, I was a bit concerned about the carbonation. No worries mate! It poured frothy and true just like on tap. To me it seemed a little mellower than on tap-Still big, in-your-face coffee with dark chocolate notes, but not quite as bitter a finish.
Needless to say, I have no more growler anxiety, as the flavor and freshness was every bit as good as on tap!

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

This was one of the first beers I had from Right Brain when they opened last year. Since then I have had it quite a few other times. This is the beer that made me sit up and notice as a local that the new place had some decent beer. That said...

Appearance - inviting head that stays but doesn't get in the way.

Smell - Rich coffee, but not overboard. I'm not a coffee drinker, but this is still inviting.

Taste - Good, but honestly I was wanting and expecting more. Founders Breakfast Stout and Shorts Cuppa Joe just have so much more going on.

Mouthfeel - Thin and watery. I don't know what exactly it is, but it just seems like something is missing.

Drinkablity - Good sessionable Coffee Stout.

A-Deep, dark brown body with ruby highlights with a light tan head that reduced slightly and left decent lacing.

S-Fairly bold coffee with roasted malt accents.

T-Coffee and roasted malt upfront. Nice dry bitter finish form the coffee/hop combo.

M-Medium body and smooth. Good lasting coffee/hop bitterness and flavours.

D-Solid but not spectacular. This one is in need of a bit more boost...in the coffee and body. Like Founders Breakfast Stout Light.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap at Right Brain Brewery on 11/29/08. Described as follows: "Made with espresso from Great Northern Roasting Company. Roasted and delivered in the hour for this fine beer."

A - Deep, dark brown body with walnut hues and patchy burnt tan head that left decent lacing around the glass.

S - Big coffee aroma overall with dark roasted malt and earthy hop notes as well.

T - The coffee and roasted malt character persists throughout, with some astringent nuttiness emerging in the backend. This stout finishes with an earthy hop bitterness.

M - Medium body with a smooth, warm mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This one finishes with quite a good bit of bitterness on the palate.

D - Pretty solid coffee stout overall, although I'd like to see more of a cream/vanilla sweetness to balance out the bitterness. Otherwise, this stout was quite nice.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »