Will Power Pale Ale - Right Brain Brewery

Will Power Pale AleWill Power Pale Ale

good

Right Brain Brewery visit their website

English Pale Ale |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Deuane on 12-06-2008)
Reviews by TheBrewo:
3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

We pull a can, pouring a brew of honey brown into our Great Lakes pint glasses. It holds a two and a half finger tall head of crisp and creamy eggshell colored bubbles. This retains well, leaving ridged and cratered sheets of lacing around the glass. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears to be active and even. The nose gives up notes of cleanly grassy and metallically vegetal, planty hops, chalky pale malts, gingersnap cookie sweetness, toasted sesame seeds, corny adjuncts, dried lavender, clove and black pepper spiciness, dried herbal twangs, candle waxiness, and freshly cut floral arrangement stems. Our first impression is that the flavoring is quite nice, with great bittering blend of the hops and the malts throughout the sip. The beginning opens with lemon peel bitters, fresh thyme and basil herbals, citric, soapy, and lightly piney hops, toasted pale and adjuncty grain, hints of freshly picked corn, dry ice, and sea salted toffee sugars. The middle comes to a peak with metallics of tin and brass, dried grassy hop buds, honey and white sugar sweetness, oily pine nut essence, gritty mustiness, and stale grain of English sours and pales. The end washes with cereal and pale grain, sunflower and lavender powders, celery and parsley vegetals, black pepper booziness, echoes of metallics and mineral, gravel, lemon rind bite, freshly cut green grassiness, resiny piney and citric hop oils, cardboard, salted popcorn, general toast of grain and breadiness, and gravel. The aftertaste breathes bitterly of grassy, citric, and piney hops, pale and lightly caramel grain, dried chalkiness, vanilla wafers, dried grassiness, freshly bailed hay, burnt candle wick, clovey and plastic phenols, sea glass, scotch tape adhesive, stale brown gravy, and corn flour. The body is lightly medium, and the carbonation is medium. Each sip produces nice slurp and smack, with okay draw, glug, cream, or froth, with decently crisp finishing pop to the upper lip. The mouth is foamed, but quickly puckered, bittered, and astringently dried. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks easily.

Overall, the most enjoyable aspect of this beer was its ease of drinkability. While the flavor and aroma were both in line with one another, and the style of the brew, it was ultimately the lightness of abv and simplicity of sip that kept us attracted to this guy. This is a standard but highly executed English pale, with just the right amount of bitterness and sourness aloud to shine through the malty and generously hopped flavoring. For our general sippin’ desires Right Brain, again, delivers, and although this isn’t a whale, they are able to insure reproducibility, predictability, and a down-right tasty beverage.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

3.32/5  rDev -8.8%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

I picked up a can of Right Brain's Will Power Pale Ale last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before so when I saw a couple cans on the shelf i just had to grab one and give it a try since I think Right Brain is pretty solid, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but I think it was canned in early July. Poured from a tall 16oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like everything about how this can looks, the design is pretty nice and I think it's pretty eye catching, it caught my eye. It poured a hazy orange color that took on an orange/amber color that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a nice looking Pale Ale, but the lacing and head retention was a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of sweet and pretty bready malts that have some doughy yeast aroma in the background. Up next comes a slight buttery aroma followed by a lighter amount of citrus hops that go nicely with this beer and show up just enough. The aroma was pretty nice and I thought it was very true to style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some very bready malt flavors with a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a very slight buttery flavor followed by a light amount of hops that impart an even mixture of grassy and citrus hop aromas. On the finish there's a slightly lighter amount of medium bitterness with a bready and slightly fruity hop after taste with some lingering bitterness. This was a nice tasting beer that was pretty true to style I enjoyed it.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, fairly crisp, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a lighter amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but i wish there was just a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a pretty good example of the style, it's been a while since I've had an English Pale Ale, but this was just how I remember some of the better ones of the style tasting and it had that slightly buttery aspect that I pick up in most English Pale Ales. This beer had decent drinkability, if i was in the mood to session some beers I could see myself drinking a few of these, but the flavor only really partly holds my attention. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style this was, it had all the aspects that I look for in the style. What I liked the least about this beer was the slightly lower amount of carbonation, a little more carbonation would have helped it a little. I don't know if I would go back and buy a four pack, but I think I would order a pint of this if I was at a bar or restaurant that had it, I think it would go good with most food. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style and if American Pale Ales are still too hoppy for you than this might be a good alternative. All in all i thought this was a pretty solid beer and it represented the style nicely, there's only a couple English Pale Ales that I like a little more. Nice work guys, this beer was solid.

4.04/5  rDev +11%