Will Power Pale Ale - Right Brain Brewery

3.32/5  rDev -13.1%

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

3.54/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev -28%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

I picked up a can of Right Brain's Will Power Pale Ale last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before so when I saw a couple cans on the shelf i just had to grab one and give it a try since I think Right Brain is pretty solid, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but I think it was canned in early July. Poured from a tall 16oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like everything about how this can looks, the design is pretty nice and I think it's pretty eye catching, it caught my eye. It poured a hazy orange color that took on an orange/amber color that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a nice looking Pale Ale, but the lacing and head retention was a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of sweet and pretty bready malts that have some doughy yeast aroma in the background. Up next comes a slight buttery aroma followed by a lighter amount of citrus hops that go nicely with this beer and show up just enough. The aroma was pretty nice and I thought it was very true to style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some very bready malt flavors with a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a very slight buttery flavor followed by a light amount of hops that impart an even mixture of grassy and citrus hop aromas. On the finish there's a slightly lighter amount of medium bitterness with a bready and slightly fruity hop after taste with some lingering bitterness. This was a nice tasting beer that was pretty true to style I enjoyed it.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, fairly crisp, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a lighter amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but i wish there was just a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a pretty good example of the style, it's been a while since I've had an English Pale Ale, but this was just how I remember some of the better ones of the style tasting and it had that slightly buttery aspect that I pick up in most English Pale Ales. This beer had decent drinkability, if i was in the mood to session some beers I could see myself drinking a few of these, but the flavor only really partly holds my attention. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style this was, it had all the aspects that I look for in the style. What I liked the least about this beer was the slightly lower amount of carbonation, a little more carbonation would have helped it a little. I don't know if I would go back and buy a four pack, but I think I would order a pint of this if I was at a bar or restaurant that had it, I think it would go good with most food. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style and if American Pale Ales are still too hoppy for you than this might be a good alternative. All in all i thought this was a pretty solid beer and it represented the style nicely, there's only a couple English Pale Ales that I like a little more. Nice work guys, this beer was solid. (3,235 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +5.8%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%