Dead Kettle IPA - Right Brain Brewery

Dead Kettle IPADead Kettle IPA

Right Brain Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: BMoney575 on 08-08-2009)

2.03/5  rDev -40.1%

Reviewed from notes made at the brewpub on 1/11/11.

Dead kettle is given to me with a clear golden-straw color with no head. A pure white film retains on top of the body. There is no fluid carbonation; that is, only when I agitate the pint glass do bubbles move. It's a very weird phenomenon. No lacing is left on the glass post-sip.

The aroma is of very muted hops- a little lemony and a little floral. There is not much of a malt balance, and what is present is very pale. A little biscuit is in the smell additionally. To me this smells like a very light pale ale; not an American IPA that boasts about it's hop presence.

The flavor brings very bitter, earthy hops that lack much other flavor. Lemongrass and a bandaid like taste accompany the hops, and the finish is dirty tasting and straight up bitter.

The mouthfeel is very light for the style and is quite watery. It is also very dry on my palate, in a sort of a not so great lip smacking way. The carbonation is quite low.

I will not try this one again. I don't feel that it met the style characteristics at all, and it certainly did not live up to it's billing as a beer for hopheads.

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

2.78/5  rDev -18%

A- poured a transparent golden straw color. had a little white head that left quickly. little lacing.

S- just the slightest bit of citrus hops. nothing too strong.

T- had the citrust hop coming out but also a floral one too. the malt didn't seem to be there. the beer had a buttery taste to it which was terrible.

M- medium/ light bodied. good cabonation.

Drinkability- will never get this again.

Overall- i thought i really liked right brain but the beers i had there didn't blow me away. their prices seem rediculous if you don't go for happy hour. i want to find out about their house yeast cause something is giving their beers a buttery taste. my gf who doesn't drink also noticed the buttery feel so it wasn't just me.

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

Smell was great, had a citrus-like grapefruity scent, slightly tangy and bitter... typical, classic IPA

Taste was a bit off-putting. I mean, I did expect orange and lemon zest, with some grapefruit, as I was told beforehand, but it just seemed dry and like there really wasn't any malt behind it. Don't get me wrong, I still powered through it like a champ, but it just didn't really finish like I expected. It was a boring, typical, dry IPA.

Mouthfeel was thin. Sad to say, the head tasted better than the first sip. I'm willing to put my experience towards an old bottle.

Overall: I think I just expected more from Right Brain going into the bomber. I'm waiting for my next trip to the brewery for a fresh sample (Hard thing is, every time I go, I skip it b/c of my first experience... and the awesome selection of other beers!).

2.96/5  rDev -12.7%

3.05/5  rDev -10%

Fresh bottle brought back from the source by Adam. Thanks mang!

The beer is copper with a substantial tan head. the aroma brings a lot of malt, light hop character, a touch of pine. Unadventurous and inconsequential on the palate. Mild hop presence, caramel / biscuit malt character, finishing dry. Nothing wrong here, but indistinguishable and boring. Light to medium in body with appropriate carbonation. Meh...

3.05/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a week-old growler into my Right Brain pint glass.
Hazy, golden-amber in color, with a very short, quickly dissapating head of foam
Aroma-Fruity, with subtle hop notes
Taste-Sadly, this beer has lost some carbonation, almost bordering on flat. Some rousing of the beer in the growler helps a bit.
Subtle citrus notes, biscuit, and a nice, lingering hop bite that carries to the finish.
Overall, nice flavor despite low carbonation, but that definitely lowered the score here.

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

A- A slightly hazy light orange liquid with a nice, lacy white head.

S- Butter, cooked vegetables, and gym socks.

T- Same as the aroma with an emphasis on the butter and a lack of bitterness. For an IPA, this is a bit boring.

M- A nice, smooth beverage with a good carbonation bite.

D- A decent beer but a bit too buttery and sweet for my tastes.

3.21/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

The Dead Kettle is more an English style IPA to me than an American style. The beer pours a cloudy orange with very thin white head that is leaving some lace. The smell is mostly bitter hops with some hints of biscuit. The taste is very bitter from start to finish and there is not citrus or pine present that I can pick up. The mouthfeel is medium in body with good carbontation. Overall this is a decent english IPA.

Dead Kettle IPA from Right Brain Brewery