Dead Kettle IPA - Right Brain Brewery

Dead Kettle IPADead Kettle IPA

Right Brain Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: BMoney575 on 08-08-2009)

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

Smell was great, had a citrus-like grapefruity scent, slightly tangy and bitter... typical, classic IPA

Taste was a bit off-putting. I mean, I did expect orange and lemon zest, with some grapefruit, as I was told beforehand, but it just seemed dry and like there really wasn't any malt behind it. Don't get me wrong, I still powered through it like a champ, but it just didn't really finish like I expected. It was a boring, typical, dry IPA.

Mouthfeel was thin. Sad to say, the head tasted better than the first sip. I'm willing to put my experience towards an old bottle.

Overall: I think I just expected more from Right Brain going into the bomber. I'm waiting for my next trip to the brewery for a fresh sample (Hard thing is, every time I go, I skip it b/c of my first experience... and the awesome selection of other beers!).

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got the bottom of this bomber poured in and forgot to slow it down before the yeast came out, but it did add a little bitterness where mostly a malt bomb was taking place. Maybe not that bad, but the scales certainly tip toward malty. Amber and translucent, recently obscured by floating yeast but still a purely sophisticated head. Piney in the nose, little else. Finishes tidy and neat, not overly dry and not over sweet either.

3.79/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Golden orange / amber color with 3 fingers of puffy white head. Leave a nice lacy cling to the glass with each drink and the head reduces to an impressive quarter inch white cap.

S - Extremely floral with hops and citrus notes.

T - Follows suit with the nose - nice citrus hop punch that balances really nice with a pleasant malt back bone. Finishes with a smack of bitterness.

O - This is a really nice IPA and my first offering from Right Brain. I will certainly come back to this an more from RB. Nice job.

3.21/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

The Dead Kettle is more an English style IPA to me than an American style. The beer pours a cloudy orange with very thin white head that is leaving some lace. The smell is mostly bitter hops with some hints of biscuit. The taste is very bitter from start to finish and there is not citrus or pine present that I can pick up. The mouthfeel is medium in body with good carbontation. Overall this is a decent english IPA.

3.49/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Applebee's - it really stood out amongst a list of Bud and Miller-type macro brews. It comes to the table, deep amber-copper with a big, yeasty haze throughout with only some light translucency at the edges. The head is quite nice; big-bubbled, foamy, and cloudy with a soft, eggshell hue. Surprisingly little lacing for such a marvelous looking head.

Spicy hops up front; peppery, floral, and just a bit ashy on the nose with an infusion of light grapefruit rinds and mild citrus peels. Malt isn't that noticeable, but some toasted bread can be found, buried under the heavy-handed hop profile. It doesn't smell bad, but it's fairly monotone and really uninteresting after awhile, unfortunately.

A nice bitterness hits the palate up front, conformed to the peppery, leafy, and herbal profile that was noticed in the aroma. The citrus is a bit more toned down, though some light grapefruit pith hits about mid-palate. The malts seem a bit "darker" on the palate, with a small hint of caramel sweetness that comes along.

A big, finishing bitterness washes over the palate with some ashy hop and small malt sweetness in the aftertaste. A little heavier on the palate than you might expect for a 5.4% ABV brew, complete with heavy, yet fitting carbonation. I wish there was more I could say about this beer... Really, it's not bad by any means, but it's pretty boring, especially in a beer-sea that's saturated with IPAs right now.

3.9/5  rDev +15%

22 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours lightly hazy and cloudy pale orange amber color with a nice 2-3 finger dense and fluffy off white head with incredible retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass; with some moderate streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of orange zest, lemon zest, grapefruit, orange rind, tangerine, floral, pine, grass, light caramel, light honey, bread, and floral earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hop notes with a light-moderate malt balance; and good strength. Taste of orange zest, grapefruit, lemon zest, orange rind, tangerine, pine, floral, grass, light caramel, light honey, bread, and floral earthiness. Good amount of earthy pine resin bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, citrus zest, pine, floral, light caramel, honey, bread, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of citrus/pine hop flavors; with a fair amount of malt balance and minimal cloying bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very cirsp and sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very nice IPA! All around nice balance and complexity of citrus/pine hop notes with a fair amount of malt balance; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.44/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- Real concern over abundant floaties. Otherwise, a nice, hazed, golden-orange body. Dense, 2-finger, khaki head. Light carbonation. Awesome head retention and stick. Outside of floaters, it really is nice, especially as the sediment settled out. A more careful, second pour kept most of the yeasties at bay. Though, the final pour was nearly 50/50 mix.

S- Good balance of fresh hops and sugary-sweet malts. Very organic, leafy and citrus-like. Malts become toasted bread.

T- Grapefruit zest. A little aspirin-like bite. Slightly grainy malts, whole wheat bread. Pretty balanced, though the medicinal finish gets a little long (maybe even pithy grapefruit attributes).

M- Medium body. Light carbonation. Slight hop bite and a bone dry finish.

O- While quite drinkable and enjoyable on a hot summer day, it doesn't stand out. Though inexpensive as bombers go ($5.99), it's on the pricy side oz. for oz. when it comes to a standard American IPA. I've really enjoyed Right Brain's bottled beers and will continue to buy them. This is just too average to come back to when Bell's, Founders, and Short's all do an IPA at a much cheaper oz:oz price.

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

3.56/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Right Brain's Dead Kettle IPA a couple days ago for $5.99 at The Lager Mill. I have had this beer a few times on tap at the brewery and got to try it on cask once, but since bottles of this just started showing up I thought I should give it another try, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on May 15 2013. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, I like the skulls, they have a tattoo sugar skull like look to them that catches my eye. It poured a nice and very hazy orange color that took on an amber/copper hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice sticky lacing behind. This is a good looking IPA, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts that have a real nice, bready, grainy, and clean malt aroma with a slight caramel aroma in the background. Up next come the hops that impart a nice and bright citrus rind aroma with grapefruit sticking out the most and a slight floral and pine hop aroma in the background. This beer has a good aroma, it balanced very well and the citrus rind hop aromas are pretty nice.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but much lighter on the citrus rind hops and it starts off with a lighter amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart some brown bread, grains, and a slight caramel malt flavor. Up next comes the hops which aren't as citrusy as they were in the aroma and impart some lighter citrus flavors with some piney and floral hops showing up more in the background with a medium amount of bitterness and a malty aftertaste with some mixed hops in the background. This was a nice tasting American IPA, it was pretty balanced, but the hops could have come through a little more.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice and balanced example of the style, but it didn't have that juicy hop flavos that I really look for in this style. This beer had good drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too filling, and a little refreshing, I don't think I would have a problem drinking a bottle to myself but I think one would be enough, the flavors don't hold my attention as well as the could have. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, they were both pretty good with the aroma being pretty on par for the style. What I like the least about this beer was the way the hops showed up in the flavor, i think they could have been a little more flavorful and citrusy. I don't know if I would buy a bottle of this again, I would order a glass if I was at the brewery, but it's a little pricey for a low abv American IPA and it's a little more balanced than I like, but I would recommend it to people who prefer balanced IPA's. All in all I thought this was a solid American IPA, it was very balanced, a little too much so and that prevents this from being a top tier IPA. This was another solid beer from Right Brain, it's nice to be able to buy their beer without going to the brewery, I just hope they release some of their beers that I really enjoy.

Dead Kettle IPA from Right Brain Brewery