Mangalitsa Pig Porter - Right Brain Brewery

Avg: 4
Right Brain Brewery visit their website

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: oline73 on 09-07-2011

Porter brewed with smoked pig parts. Not bacon, heads and bones! Just because we thought we safely could.
Reviews by Schmittymack:
4.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the brewery on Friday, Oct 7. Poured a jet black color with a nice tan head that quickly disapated. Aromas of smoke, roasted malt, and bacon. Taste was chocolate, malt goodness, some smoke, and just the right amount of bacon. Mouthfeel was just about perfect and the brew had just enough carbonation. To top it off, the beer was served cooler instead of ice cold so the flavor really came through. I had to have several and I wish I could've figured out how to get a growler of this back to Denver on the plane!

3.87/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #89 (June 2014):

Smoke, Meaty, Roasted, Treat

Smoked pig heads and bones, yes ... in a beer. No question at all that this is a damn good porter though with the addition of swine it bring this beer to another dimension. Meat smokiness rather than smoked malt bounces off some sweetness, modest hopping keeps the balance. Very unique.

STYLE: American Porter | ABV: 6.6% | AVAILABILITY: Rotating

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.39/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4/5  rDev 0%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black body. Nice khaki head. Thick collar.

Smell - Nice smokiness. Kinda creamy? Hard to describe. Dark roasted malt. I swear it smells fatty.

Taste - Deep dark roast. Smokey dark malts. Small amount of sweetness. It's meaty. Again, I swear it tastes fatty. Slick, lingering bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Slick body. Oily finish. Nice smoke, but it adds a bitterness.

Overall - It must be power of suggestion, but I really do taste fat. It helps bein out a great smokey meatiness.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

4.41/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great tasting beer if you can get over the hype of the pig in it...

a- pours very dark and head dissipates quickly
s- smoky aroma and i failed to pick up much 'meat' as talked about here
t- great on the palate, light but retaining rich savory qualities added to a typical stout experience
m- light and crisp, a bit of a buttery feel but that passed quickly

3.89/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My batch said 7.0%. There was some faint beachwood like smoke to me. Mostly porter characteristics, but there appears to be a trend upward for this one. A little pricey however, but I suppose that is also a trend.

4.36/5  rDev +9%

It's really a great smoked porter. Not overpowered by smokiness, lingers nicely but clears from the pallet without any acrid bitterness like some smoked beers. Overall a fun and unique beer.

3.81/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 ounce bottle into a snifter.

Pours dark and opaque, with a small head, some lacing. Smells of roasted malts, chocolate. Pretty smoky, and it does kind of smell like a bbq, not like a campfire or something. Gets meaty when fully warmed. Taste follows the nose with the malts and the smokiness, less so with the chocolate. It's salty, no doubt, but I guess ham usually is, too. A little bitterness on the back end. Nice body for the ABV, pretty smooth, well carbonated.

This is a good porter, tasty and somewhat different. The pig parts were mostly noticeable in the smell, for me. Good offering from Right Brain, that's worth a try.

3.76/5  rDev -6%

I had this on-tap at the brewpub.

Appearance: Pours Black with very little tan head that goes away completely.

Smell: Very nice, best part of this beer. Smells smokey like bbq, which isn't a surprise since they brewed this using actual smoked pig pieces. There is some roast in there as well.

Taste: Not as smokey as I expected. Some bacon and smoke flavor along with roast, dark chocolate, and a mildly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I expected more smoke in the taste, but it was a nice porter otherwise. I might have another given the chance.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I got a couple bottles of Right Brain's Mangalitsa Pig Porter from my friend Ben, which he got directly from the Brewery, thanks a lot Ben. I have had this beer on draft at the brewery before, but since they started to bottle it I thought I should sit down and review a bottle, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, I think it's a couple months old. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, the bright pink label is pretty eye catching and it has some nice information about this beer on the label, I like it, it for sure sticks out. It poured a lighter black color that is almost like a really dark brown color and it didn't really let any light come through and it had three fingers worth of fluffy dark tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, the color was nice and the head was really good, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some dark roasted malts that have a pretty roasted aroma to it with some light charred aromas and a nice medium smokey aroma followed by some coffee and some nice dark chocolate aromas. Up next comes a little more of that medium smokey aroma followed by a slight smoked meat aroma that kind of reminds me of a good smoked ham, it's on the lighter side but it's noticeable and it blends well with the smokey and roasted malts. I thought this beer had a good aroma, the roasted malts were nice and the smoked meat aspect showed up just enough.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it started off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of dark roasted malts that have a higher amount of roast to them with a slight char and a nice smokey flavor that has a slight smoked ham flavor to it that comes out more towards the finish. I also get some some nice and rich dark chocolate flavors with a real slight coffee flavor. On the finish there's a lower amount of medium bitterness with a nice charred/bitter coffee like finish with a roasted and lightly smokey aftertaste. This is a pretty good tasting beer, the smoked pork flavors were on the lighter side, but I would rather have that then have it be overwhelming, it's just the right amount and it works well with the Porter base, I enjoyed it.

M- Pretty smooth, rich, slightly creamy, very full bodied, with a good slightly lighter amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good, it worked well with this beer and it was one of the richest mouthfeel's I have encountered, I think the pig parts helped with that.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good, unique, and really out of the box example of the style, the addition of the smoked pig parts didn't make this Porter unrecognizable, the nicely done Porter base shows up nicely and I think it's pretty well done. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, a little filling, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, I think splitting this bottle with some one is the way to go, but if I was really in the mood for this beer I could see drinking the whole bomber, I think it would be great beer to take to a summer bbq and I think it would go nicely with some bbq. What I liked the most about this beer was how good and balanced the taste was, the malt backbone was strong enough to hold up against the smoked pork and it made for a great combination that wasn't overwhelming in the least. There wasn't anything that I really disliked about this beer other then the fact that it isn't widely distributed. I would buy this beer again, it isn't something that I would drink all the time, but I think it would be nice to have one every once in a while and I think it would be a great beer to bring to bbq's. I recommend this beer to anyone who likes American Porters, especially if you don't mind a little smoke in your Porter's. All in all I was happy with this beer and it was just as good as I remember it being on draft at the brewery, which is always a good thing. On paper this can sound like a weird and intimating beer, but when you get down to it and drink it, it;s much more balanced than one would think and the flavors do a good job at complementing each other. Good Job Right Brain, you guys do a great job at putting out unusual beer and making them work, this a fine example of that and I think this beer deserves the gold medal that it won. Unusual, but nicely executed.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

4.6/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%