2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mangalitsa Pig Porter - Right Brain Brewery

Mangalitsa Pig Porter
No picture uploaded.

Right Brain Brewery visit their website

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Porter brewed with smoked pig parts. Not bacon, heads and bones! Just because we thought we safely could.

(Beer added by: oline73 on 09-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 34 | Reviews: 9 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by andrewjraab:
andrewjraab

3.79/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Brewed with REAL pig Heads....This was a really interesting novelty brew to say the least.. Really nice looking brew - pitch black with a mocha head. Smells delightful - chocolate, malts, smokey, alcohol present, slightly disappointed I didn't smell bacon. Taste follows suit except the smoke comes to the forefront.

Nice creative brew., I would definitely love to know how the pig heads were used and how that was sanitary, but this was a good beer overall.

11-08-2013 05:09:32 | More by andrewjraab

beergorrilla

03-14-2013 04:51:34 | More by beergorrilla
UCLABrewN84

3.29/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear dark crimson brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, slight smoke, and some earthy aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa and char flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer that is definitely interesting but isn't executed very well in my opinion.

03-11-2013 19:18:50 | More by UCLABrewN84

03-03-2013 14:43:57 | More by ROBSTARR
jesse1303

4.39/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great tasting beer if you can get over the hype of the pig in it...

a- pours very dark and head dissipates quickly
s- smoky aroma and i failed to pick up much 'meat' as talked about here
t- great on the palate, light but retaining rich savory qualities added to a typical stout experience
m- light and crisp, a bit of a buttery feel but that passed quickly

02-19-2013 03:42:28 | More by jesse1303
TheConnMan

4.13/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bomber, poured into a tulip

A: black, amber fringes. Small lasting head, significant lacing

S: roasted coffee and nuts, strong malt and a hint of chocolate. Hints of salted, cured meats, but maybe I'm imagining that.

T: Similar roasted notes from the nose, follows with a very subtle sweetness and finishes with a slight bitterness. Nice strong tastes, without leaning towards either sweet or bitter, like most porters choose between.

M: heavy mouthfeel that gives the beer a great deal of substance, balanced by mild carbonation and a smooth creaminess.

O: A great aggressively flavored porter, a thick meaty beer you can really sink your teeth into. Really glad I was able to get some as right brain just started distributing here.

02-10-2013 04:22:40 | More by TheConnMan
StoutHunter

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I got a couple bottles of Right Brain's Mangalitsa Pig Porter from my friend Ben, which he got directly from the Brewery, thanks a lot Ben. I have had this beer on draft at the brewery before, but since they started to bottle it I thought I should sit down and review a bottle, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, I think it's a couple months old. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, the bright pink label is pretty eye catching and it has some nice information about this beer on the label, I like it, it for sure sticks out. It poured a lighter black color that is almost like a really dark brown color and it didn't really let any light come through and it had three fingers worth of fluffy dark tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, the color was nice and the head was really good, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some dark roasted malts that have a pretty roasted aroma to it with some light charred aromas and a nice medium smokey aroma followed by some coffee and some nice dark chocolate aromas. Up next comes a little more of that medium smokey aroma followed by a slight smoked meat aroma that kind of reminds me of a good smoked ham, it's on the lighter side but it's noticeable and it blends well with the smokey and roasted malts. I thought this beer had a good aroma, the roasted malts were nice and the smoked meat aspect showed up just enough.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it started off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of dark roasted malts that have a higher amount of roast to them with a slight char and a nice smokey flavor that has a slight smoked ham flavor to it that comes out more towards the finish. I also get some some nice and rich dark chocolate flavors with a real slight coffee flavor. On the finish there's a lower amount of medium bitterness with a nice charred/bitter coffee like finish with a roasted and lightly smokey aftertaste. This is a pretty good tasting beer, the smoked pork flavors were on the lighter side, but I would rather have that then have it be overwhelming, it's just the right amount and it works well with the Porter base, I enjoyed it.

M- Pretty smooth, rich, slightly creamy, very full bodied, with a good slightly lighter amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good, it worked well with this beer and it was one of the richest mouthfeel's I have encountered, I think the pig parts helped with that.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good, unique, and really out of the box example of the style, the addition of the smoked pig parts didn't make this Porter unrecognizable, the nicely done Porter base shows up nicely and I think it's pretty well done. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, a little filling, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, I think splitting this bottle with some one is the way to go, but if I was really in the mood for this beer I could see drinking the whole bomber, I think it would be great beer to take to a summer bbq and I think it would go nicely with some bbq. What I liked the most about this beer was how good and balanced the taste was, the malt backbone was strong enough to hold up against the smoked pork and it made for a great combination that wasn't overwhelming in the least. There wasn't anything that I really disliked about this beer other then the fact that it isn't widely distributed. I would buy this beer again, it isn't something that I would drink all the time, but I think it would be nice to have one every once in a while and I think it would be a great beer to bring to bbq's. I recommend this beer to anyone who likes American Porters, especially if you don't mind a little smoke in your Porter's. All in all I was happy with this beer and it was just as good as I remember it being on draft at the brewery, which is always a good thing. On paper this can sound like a weird and intimating beer, but when you get down to it and drink it, it;s much more balanced than one would think and the flavors do a good job at complementing each other. Good Job Right Brain, you guys do a great job at putting out unusual beer and making them work, this a fine example of that and I think this beer deserves the gold medal that it won. Unusual, but nicely executed.

01-13-2013 08:29:50 | More by StoutHunter