1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Naughty Girl Stout - Right Brain Brewery

Naughty Girl StoutNaughty Girl Stout

good

Right Brain Brewery visit their website

American Stout |  5.60% ABV

Stout w/ mint

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 79 | Reviews: 10 | Show All Ratings:
CFHMagnet

3.29/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Review from notes taken 7-9-13. No bottle date noted.

I poured this beer aggressively and still got a thin, measly head. Body was nearly black and no lace was apparent.

I smelled deep roasted malt, milk chocolate and mild coffee. Where is the mint?

The taste started off with the deep roast malt and medium roast coffee. Then it got to tasting of a Girl Scout cookie.

The body was surprisingly a light-medium feel. I kept asking myself, why is this not heavier? Why is it so thin and not creamy? Perhaps it is the American style stout I do not like, as I keep asking this question on these beers...

Overall, I think I was too excited about this beer up front. I built it up and had high expectations, rather than just walking into it with an open mind.

07-11-2013 02:50:16 | More by CFHMagnet
Alextricity

3.69/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22oz bomber and into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Bomber was $6.99, so this had better be good!

Appearance: Pitch black. Dark tan head that has about three fingers, then dies down to a thin foam on top. Very little lacing. Really a nice looking beer, even with a lack of lacing. The bottom of the bottle yields quite a lot of sediment.

Smell: As others have said, chocolate mint ice cream. York peppermint patties. Andes. Girl Scout Thin Mints. Anything you can think of with chocolate and mint.

Taste/feel: It's what the smell is, but more muted. This beer actually has surprisingly little flavor, to me. There aren't bold roasty characters, thick chocolate, or pungent mint -- it's just really mild... not sweet, and very mildly bitter. That's not a bad thing, but not what I was expecting. Beginning to end, this drinks like a weak porter with some mint added. On the finish, I supposed there's a hint of roasted malts, but it's not much. The feel is actually pretty thin, which makes me think of this as a porter. I thought Naughty Girl Stout would be thick. Heavy. Copious amounts of chocolate with heavy notes of mint, but I don't get that.

Bad beer? Nope. I can say that I'm disappointed though... there's just not much in the way of flavor. I suppose this would be a good one to session, but why would somebody really want to session a minty stout, even if it is this mild? I don't know just what to make of this beer, but I don't think it ought to be sold in bombers. I tend to think of beers that are available only in bombers to be massive in smell, taste, and ABV. I love the look of this beer, and it has an inviting aroma, but it's just lacking, overall. A 22oz bottle shouldn't be too hard to finish, just because it's pleasant and not cloying.

08-04-2013 15:47:25 | More by Alextricity
tectactoe

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark, dark brown, might as well call this one black - the tan top on this one looks like it'll stick around for a while, but fades surprisingly quick. The aroma is pretty much unlike anything I've sniffed to date; minty and loaded with a menthol-like aroma, followed up by hefty amounts of cocoa and bittersweet chocolates. I'm wondering if they were going for the "Thin Mint" girl scout cookie flavor/aroma here. It's close, but the mint characteristic is a little more medicinal and strong than sweet and tingly like it should be. Mild roast and coffee on the tail end of the nose as well.

The taste is full on with that mint - I have to say the mint comes off a little bit better on the palate than it does in the aroma. Much to my surprise, coffee is a little bit more noticeable on the palate than the chocolate. The cocoa is there, but it really doesn't show up much until the aftertaste. The aftertaste is loaded with a deep, dark cocoa, nearly bittersweet, along with that lasting minty flavor that carries from start to finish. Body is surprisingly light, this feels stronger than 6% ABV. Low-medium carbonation and a lightly silky mouth feel.

Not bad, but nothing excellent either. Different - I'll give it that. I think the mint flavors could've been a little better, they seemed a little awkward and contrived at times. Overall, pretty tasty, but I probably wouldn't seek this one out again.

02-11-2013 20:21:03 | More by tectactoe
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Bomber poured into Tulip glass, barely a hiss on opening.

S: Aroma of fresh spearmint, bitter chocolate malt, sweet aromas of crystal sugars.

T: Nice rich chocolate as well as bitterness from the mint kicking in. Dark and Roasty and just a tiny hint of vegetal on top of the mint. After having Red and black? from DFH a few years back, I know what too much mint is and Mint is easy to overdo. This is not overdone on the mint end and has a nice dark chocolate cookie mint flavor to boot. Likely the lady on the bottle is too old to be a girl scout, but I guess thats the point so they dont look like sickos putting little girls on beer bottles.

M: Mild to very little carbonation, the patent / coffee flavors are pronounced slightly because of this, but overall a nice mouthfeel.

O: Overall pretty tasty beer. This is good and slightly refreshing. Hit the spot on a rainy afternoon. Spearmint / Scope flavor is well done but not an everyday drinker.

05-19-2013 21:45:58 | More by alpinebryant
TheBrewo

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

We crack the top and pour a brew of oily pitch black into our Great Lakes pint glasses. It puts up a creamy two and a half finger head of medium brown bubbles, showing excellent retention. This slowly bubbles away, leaving thick wisps of lacing around the glass. No haze or sediment is appreciated, and carbonation appears to be light. The aroma gives rich roasty milk chocolatey malts, faint coffees, and whole milk creaminess. Sitting high against this is the mint, smelling much more like a peppermint patty and vapor rub rather than a fresh sprig. The rest fills in with foamy plastic, fresh eucalyptus leaves, medicinals, metallics, a hint of creamy vanilla, and, with warmth, a nice cereal grain. Our first impression is that the mint flavoring is somewhat lost, but the base stout is hearty and pleasant to drink. As we sip, the taste begins simply with sweet menthol, rich roasted chocolate malts, cereal grain, lemony cleanliness, harsh lactics, and medicinals. As the beer warms a bit, some dark coffee roast and grainy dark chocolate nibs become more pronounced. The peak comes with more roasted malts, soured peppermint, bitter metallics, and an otherwise watery, metallic washing. The finish comes with fire roasted dryness of those chocolate and lightly coffee malts, with dirty grittiness, soft mint leafiness, dried coffee grounds, that aromatic creamy milkiness, and hints of grassy hops. The aftertaste breathes of chalky yeast, dried milk chocolate flakes, bittered metallics, white sugar, faint smoke, biting lactics, granite, and synthetic mint leafiness that gives the air of an herbal hoppiness. The body is medium, and the carbonation is medium. There is huge foam and cream on each sip, lending softness, while residual sugars afford stickiness to the lips, and nice finishing pop and smack. The mouth is left bone dry and slightly warmed following a wet slurp. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks easily.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was its appearance and feel. From the pour, the coloring was deep and thick enough to rival anything in the style. The head was creamy and retained nicely. The feel, on the other side, was rather intensely drying. We feel like a lot of stouts these days don’t give you a lot of that roast through the feel, but rather focus on the taste. While this is obviously essential, a dirty clay-fired tongue just gives you a little something extra. We also felt that given a mint flavoring, the malts need to meet that with sweetness to meet the palate’s preconceived expectations, and here that fell short. Things were much more bitter and drying, and didn’t quite meld with that added component. Regardless this is a tasty beer, and something we are glad to have locally.

05-11-2013 00:19:10 | More by TheBrewo
superspak

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

22 ounce bottle into pint glass; no bottle dating, but was released in bottles recently. Pours completely pitch black color with a nice dense 2 finger very dark tan head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, mint leaves, toast, light char, light coffee, and light herbal hops. Very nice aromas with good balance, strength, and complexity of dark roasted notes with moderate mint presence. Taste of big dark chocolate, cocoa, mint leaves, roasted malt, light coffee, light char, toast, herbal, and light roasted earthiness. Lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, mint, roasted malt, toast, coffee, light char, herbal, and light roasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and robustness of dark roasted flavors with moderate mint; with zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a creamy and lightly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with pretty much zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very nice stout! Nice amount of robustness and balance of roasted flavors with moderate mint flavor; and very smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

03-14-2013 04:28:41 | More by superspak
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The beer pours a dark brown with a thin halo of tan head. The nose is mouthwash mint that overpowers all other stout characteristics. The taste is a relatively dry choco-mint stout that's definitely dialed down compared to the nose. I'm glad this isn't a sweet mint bomb like I'd expected and instead leaves most of the mint behind in the nose. It's a relatively medium bodied and drinkable stout. This is my first right brain experience and it definitely pushes the limits on a mint stout.

04-07-2013 01:05:49 | More by ThePorterSorter
GRPunk

4.01/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip

I had the chance to get a taster of this at the MBG Winter Beer Fest a couple years back. Glad I can get a full serving now.

A- my first pour created a 1-1/2 finger brown head, the second was a little sloppy and got up to 3 or more. Retention was better on the second go,as was the lacing. Body was near jet.

S- Yep, it smells like a thin mint (or even a York peppermint patty). Lots of mint and a good deal of semi-sweet chocolate at first. The graininess almost gives the impression of that chocolate cracker/cookie in the middle. A little warmth and some coffee notes creep in.

T- Much as aroma suggests. A solid mix of chocolate and mint. Nice, roasty notes. It all comes together nicely. Flavorful, without overwhelming.

M- pretty straight forward. Medium body, and moderate carbonation. Nicely creamy.

O- I've toyed with the idea of brewing one of these for years. My only worry is getting stuck with 5 gallons if it isn't an easy drinker. RB's version is quite drinkable. 22oz. Is probably about right. Can do more than one, but I'm not drinking it all day. I'd buy it again, especially to share as somewhat of a novelty.

02-17-2013 20:52:04 | More by GRPunk
redleg64

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I was at Right Brain on Friday and was lucky enough to have this beer on tap.

Appearance - Very dark color, looked how a stout should look. It didn't have too much of a head, but the head that was there sort of looked like it had a little green hue to me. Maybe that's because I already had a few beers is me though.

Smell - It smelled like mint chocolate chip ice cream!

Taste - Just like it smelled. Think mint chocolate chip ice cream or thin mint girl scout cookies.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation was spot on. The beer tasted sort of thick if I remember right.

Overall - Think mint chocolate chip or girl scout thin mint cookies beer. I enjoyed this a lot!

08-18-2013 22:17:47 | More by redleg64
StoutHunter

4.23/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I got a bottle of Right Brain's Naughty Girl Scout from my friend Ben for Christmas, thanks a lot Ben, this is the second beer Right Brain has bottled. I've had this beer before, but i'm happy that I get to try it in bottles now, so let's see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I really like the label, what's not to like about a sexy grown up girl scout, it fits the name nicely, and really catches the eye. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through with a finger and a half of dark tan head that died down to a thin ring that left some decent lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I wish it had just a little more head to it.

S- The aroma starts off with a nice amount of dark chocolate followed by some medium roasted malts that imparted a medium amount of sweetness. After that comes the mint which imparts a great spearmint aroma that seems to stick out the most and when combined with the chocolate and roasted malts it really does have a aroma that is similar to those chocolate mint girl scout cookies. This beer had an awesome aroma it's exactly as described and is very similar to the cookie.

T- The taste is pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a nice roasted malt flavor that had a good amount of roast to it along with some nice dark chocolate flavors and a lighter amount of medium sweetness. Towards the end comes the mint which is nice and not too overpowering. There was a lighter amount of bitterness with a chocolate and mint like aftertaste. This is a pretty good tasting beer, it tasted just like the cookie, but in beer form.

M- Pretty smooth, a little crisp, medium bodied, and it had a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice but the carbonation could have been toned down a little.

Overall I though this was a good beer and a good example of the style, this is the only Mint Stout I have tried.but I really like how the mint is there but it's not overpowering. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, one bottle seems to be the right amount. What I liked the most about this beer was how the beer was exactly as intended and did taste and smell like a thin mint. What I liked the least about this beer was the slightly higher amount of carbonation. it was a little unnecessary. I would buy this beer, it's a good winter time beer and I recommend this beer to just anyone who wants to try a beer that tastes like the cookie. All in all I was happy with this beer, it delivered just what I wanted from it and would make a great dessert beer. Good job Right Brain, this is a good and unique beer, it's pretty memorable.

01-11-2013 04:46:53 | More by StoutHunter