Naughty Girl Stout - Right Brain Brewery

good

Right Brain Brewery visit their website

American Stout |  5.60% ABV

Stout w/ mint

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012)

Doublicious, Feb 17, 2014

Drk93TT, Aug 27, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

TCmichigan, Aug 26, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I was at Right Brain on Friday and was lucky enough to have this beer on tap.

Appearance - Very dark color, looked how a stout should look. It didn't have too much of a head, but the head that was there sort of looked like it had a little green hue to me. Maybe that's because I already had a few beers is me though.

Smell - It smelled like mint chocolate chip ice cream!

Taste - Just like it smelled. Think mint chocolate chip ice cream or thin mint girl scout cookies.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation was spot on. The beer tasted sort of thick if I remember right.

Overall - Think mint chocolate chip or girl scout thin mint cookies beer. I enjoyed this a lot!

redleg64, Aug 18, 2013

BMart, Aug 15, 2013
3.69/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22oz bomber and into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Bomber was $6.99, so this had better be good!

Appearance: Pitch black. Dark tan head that has about three fingers, then dies down to a thin foam on top. Very little lacing. Really a nice looking beer, even with a lack of lacing. The bottom of the bottle yields quite a lot of sediment.

Smell: As others have said, chocolate mint ice cream. York peppermint patties. Andes. Girl Scout Thin Mints. Anything you can think of with chocolate and mint.

Taste/feel: It's what the smell is, but more muted. This beer actually has surprisingly little flavor, to me. There aren't bold roasty characters, thick chocolate, or pungent mint -- it's just really mild... not sweet, and very mildly bitter. That's not a bad thing, but not what I was expecting. Beginning to end, this drinks like a weak porter with some mint added. On the finish, I supposed there's a hint of roasted malts, but it's not much. The feel is actually pretty thin, which makes me think of this as a porter. I thought Naughty Girl Stout would be thick. Heavy. Copious amounts of chocolate with heavy notes of mint, but I don't get that.

Bad beer? Nope. I can say that I'm disappointed though... there's just not much in the way of flavor. I suppose this would be a good one to session, but why would somebody really want to session a minty stout, even if it is this mild? I don't know just what to make of this beer, but I don't think it ought to be sold in bombers. I tend to think of beers that are available only in bombers to be massive in smell, taste, and ABV. I love the look of this beer, and it has an inviting aroma, but it's just lacking, overall. A 22oz bottle shouldn't be too hard to finish, just because it's pleasant and not cloying.

Alextricity, Aug 04, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

mscudder, Aug 01, 2013

I_BYE_MI_BEER, Jul 26, 2013

fishmich, Jul 18, 2013
3.29/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Review from notes taken 7-9-13. No bottle date noted.

I poured this beer aggressively and still got a thin, measly head. Body was nearly black and no lace was apparent.

I smelled deep roasted malt, milk chocolate and mild coffee. Where is the mint?

The taste started off with the deep roast malt and medium roast coffee. Then it got to tasting of a Girl Scout cookie.

The body was surprisingly a light-medium feel. I kept asking myself, why is this not heavier? Why is it so thin and not creamy? Perhaps it is the American style stout I do not like, as I keep asking this question on these beers...

Overall, I think I was too excited about this beer up front. I built it up and had high expectations, rather than just walking into it with an open mind.

CFHMagnet, Jul 11, 2013