Looping Owl - Right Brain Brewery

Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012

Our N. Hawk Owl Amber Ale laid down on a Grand Travese Distilary bourbon
Reviews by smalenberg:

3.97/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Wow...this is a good beer. Bro-in-law brought it to the 4th of July soiree. The beer poured a amberish-brown with thin slightly offwhite head that is not lacing. The smell has hints of whiskey/bourbon. The taste is a beautiful balanced beer with a not so overpowering flare of whiskey. The mouthfeel is medium in body with subtle carbonation. Overall this is a solid beer. (372 characters)

3.85/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev n/a

3.74/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Right Brain's Looping Owl a couple weeks ago for $8.29 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a while, but when I was last at the brewery they didn't have it, but I did get to try the base beer Northern Hawk Owl and I thought it was a nice Amber Ale, and I also tried Dead Owl which is the sour Barrel aged version, I wasn't a biggest fan of that one, so I hope this one turn out better, so lets see how it goes. Aged in Bourbon barrels from the Grand Traverse Distillery. No bottling date like their IPA had, it's a late spring 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's not the most eye catching but it doesn't look bad and it goes with the name. It poured a very hazy mahogany color that took on a ruby/amber hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some decent lacing behind. This a good looking beer, the color and head were both pretty good.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of sweetness followed by a pretty big woody aroma, I get lots of oak with some vanilla in the background along with some caramel and pretty toffee like aromas. Up next comes some malts which impart some bready and grainy flavors with brown bread coming through nicely with just a slight bit of molasses in the background, and towards the end comes a whiskey aroma that reminds me of some Canadian Whiskey . The aroma was pretty nice, the barrel was the main attraction with some Amber Ale aromas in the background.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by lot's of woody flavors, oak seems to show up the most but there's also some nice woody vanilla flavors in the background that are followed by some whiskey flavors that make me think of Canadian Whiskey. Up next comes the malts that impart bready caramel and toffee malt flavors that blends nicely with the barrel flavors. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a very whiskey like after taste along with some caramel malts oak flavors. This was a nice tasting beer, it had some nice complexity to it without the barrel completely taking over.

M- Fairly smooth, well hidden Alcohol, a little creamy, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was slightly prickly. The mouthfeel was nice but I think the carbonation should be toned down a little.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of the style, the whiskey barrels really showed up, almost too much so, but right at that point the Amber Ale base comes through and that helps bring a little bit of balance to this beer and the flavors seems to go together nicely. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not overly boozy and the flavor did a nice job at holding my attention, I could probably drink a bomber to myself but I think it's best to split this one, I think the heavy whisky flavors might start to wear on me after awhile, I think it would make a nice campfire beer. What I liked the most about this beer was how unique it was, there's lots of Bourbon Barrel aged beers, so I like the fact that they went a different route and used whiskey barrels from their local distillery, and I think the whiskey flavors go nice with the Amber Ale Base, the appearance was also pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but i wish the carbonation was toned down a little. I would buy this beer again when looking for a Barrel Aged beer that isn't high gravity, it's a little pricey but I think it's pretty worth it, I would recommend this beer to anyone who likes barrel aged beers. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it didn't taste too similar to most of the other barrel aged beers and that mainly has to do with choice of barrels, but I think that the base beer also had something to do with it. Nice work guys, I really like being able to pick up these beers without having to make a trip to the brewery and so far this is my favorite variation of Northern Hawk Owl and one of the better Right Brain brews I have had, keep up the good work guys. (4,241 characters)

4.34/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very interesting and different beer. But the sweet fruitiness mixing with a strong malt note and a hint of wood/bourbon makes it a very pleasant kind of different. (165 characters)

3.25/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.81/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev n/a

Keg @ EBF.
Never had any beers from this brewery before so this should be interesting.

Light fizzy head, slight haze golden orange almost amber color.

Nose is fairly light, hint of malt, hint grassy hops, light fruit and a bit of woody esters with maybe a whisky aroma?, and juicy reddish malts.

Taste starts with fruity esters and a bit of barrel flavors, light yeasty flavors, bit of bitter earthy grassy hops, juicy toasty reddish malty flavors and hint sweetness. Finish is drier, a bit quick, with more toasty malts, and touch of whisky finally coming through later.

Mouth is med bodied, decent carb.

Overall a lighter beer esp for a barrel aged one, decent malts, very little whisky overall, but at least the hops are able to still cut through. (755 characters)

3.66/5  rDev n/a

Looping Owl from Right Brain Brewery
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.